Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They turned a great sandbox genre into a Themepark.

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by rygard49

Name a truly original idea in a new MMO that hasn't copied itself from a previous game. When it comes down to game systems, you'll find that most great ingenuity in the MMO genre comes from different takes on similar ideas. That's not to say that it's impossible to come up with something completely original, but that's going to be a rare occurence in any established artform.

This is to true of every video game. Look at FPS, how different are they? Little things here and there but when something cool new is added, its not long till a large % of new shooters have the feature as well. MMOs have followed that. Like yelling WTS for hours on end and then SWG gave us global action houses. Then all MMOs had them. WoW gave us quest hubs to level with... well we know that outcome. DAoC gave us battlegrounds and then WoW and almost every MMO after that. There is nothing new under the sun. Sinse EQ1 made MMOing big, no MMO has been unique and EQ1 was a clone by all accounts lol

Yeah, EQ1 was cloned from Meridian 59, which was the first 3d graphical representation of a MUD, which were all clones and copies of each other all the way back to Collosal Cave Adventure. Coincidentally, Matt Firor was heavily involved in the creation and development of early MUDs...

So there you have it, TESO is another generic MUD clone brought to you by one of MUDings lead developers. Gosh, these one trick ponies only make what they know amiright?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by botrytis  You can switch in GW2 but it will cost ou. The more populated the server, the more it will cost. Most high population servers play against each other in WvWvW.
      i am guessing that is how campaigns will be too, hopefully they put the best guilds against each other so it forms meaningful rivalries. i just don't think you will be able to pick a campaign. if anything, people will join successful guilds and join their campaigns. which is why i think mega guilds will be common in this game, unless they have something in mind to prevent that.
    Campaigns have size limits and presumably guilds will want to have all of their members in a campaign... I wonder what the implications are for recruiting new members after the first week when all the campaigns will already be "full."

yeah, that's gonna be a huge challenge for them.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I really hope they don't match campaigns, it sucks in gw2, there's no long term rivalry.

what do you hope they do? just reset everything and keep the teams the same after the campaign ends?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Never reset it at all would be the best.

i somewhat agree but that's not gonna happen as they have already confirmed campaigns will have an end.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by baphamet

i somewhat agree but that's not gonna happen as they have already confirmed campaigns will have an end.

Where did you read that? 

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

Where did you read that? 

'Campaigns can last for a month or longer, giving everyone a chance to pitch in for the war effort.'

....Conflict in Cyrodiil, Part 1 (official site).

While not stating the length of the campaign it does suggest a finite length.  Whether this would be time based or objective based is anyone's guess.

Originally posted by Miblet

Where did you read that? 

'Campaigns can last for a month or longer, giving everyone a chance to pitch in for the war effort.'

Lets hope they dont use GW2 system where you change how you are fighting. I like my war to be static and get to know the other side. Their guilds and tatics so you can play a smart war.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Where did you read that? 

Lets hope they dont use GW2 system where you change how you are fighting. I like my war to be static and get to know the other side. Their guilds and tatics so you can play a smart war.

something tells me that is not going to happen. Especially as sides lose players who quit the game, possibly joining other guilds, etc.

They are going to want to balance out these things.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Where did you read that? 

something tells me that is not going to happen. Especially as sides lose players who quit the game, possibly joining other guilds, etc.

They are going to want to balance out these things.

Choice in games have less and less impact. Dumbing down systems to appeal to the masses. Wont be long and all video games will just be a "I win button" 

Originally posted by Miblet Originally posted by Nanfoodle Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by ShakyMo Never reset it at all would be the best.
    Where did you read that? 
    'Campaigns can last for a month or longer, giving everyone a chance to pitch in for the war effort.' ....Conflict in Cyrodiil, Part 1 (official site).

people are saying they will last 3-6 months but its all speculation.

there is a lot we don't know about the megaserver and all the things associated with it.

which is why i think its funny people seem to have it all figured out and are convinced it will suck.

maybe it will suck but we wont know that until people actually try it.

its going to take a lot of testing to get it to work right i am sure, expect some large beta weekends in our future. :)

something they can do is implement a campaign wide vote at or near the end of a campaign to see if the players want to reset the teams or keep them the same.

that way if its extremely unbalanced and one faction is wrecking the other two, the other two factions can out vote the winning faction and reset the teams.

if they are epic battles the factions can all agree to keep the teams the same.

maybe not implement it exactly like that, but you get the point...

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I don't think you can call it a wow clone though.

Rift is a wow clone, swtor is a wow clone, wildstar sounds like a wow clone, then you have numerous f2p games like perfect world.

But people take this wow clone stuff too far. I've seen people claiming the likes of gw2, war and tsw are wow clones when they plainly aren't.

This is going off topic, but during the GW2 free trial the gameplay felt extremely WoW-like. The other stuff was fluff.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Topherpunch

I am a fan od Elder Scroll, so much that I must protest this game.  I am just going to post all the bad things that I think are very bad ideas. This is not a troll, just a "concerned gamers bad idea, thoughts" post....

Having one PvP area. While I know it is huge I just think putting players in a particular place to PvP is just silly.

The PvP area is to cater to the PvPers. And since Cyrodiil will still have the same PvE options as the other regions I don't see much harm in that. Even so, I would like to see an open world as well.

One mega server, this is good if you were playing a game like EvE or Darkfall where there are no instaces.

They are also using channels.

Gaining skills and spells..... Not cool

Just like any other TES game except that you don't purchase spellbooks.

Targeting..... Why are they ruining the FPS style?

It is to balance the game out. Bow and arrow would be absolutely worthless if it worked in the same way as it has done in previous games. Whilst I don't agree with them doing so, I do still believe that they've pulled off their soft-targeting system well. The tab-targeting seems silly though.

Not able to join other faction area's until you reach maxed level (This could be a rumor) Why?

Because a lot of people wanted to explore the whole of Tamriel on one character. It adds content for that one character instead of forcing you to make toons. This was an adjustment they did for us. I know you'd like another answer to that question, but maybe we should settle for what we can get?

What did you do to the old crafting system from Elder Scrolls? What is wrong with combining regular items to make weird combines?

It adds depth into the crafting system. The additives are there to make more weapons unique through additional combinations.

Zenimax.....

The root of all evil.....money. Why is Bethesda giving into corporate walkways? You could have created something amazing.

Zenimax Online Studios and Bethesda Game Studios are both owned by Zenimax Media. It has always been corporate and you are silly to believe otherwise. It's not like Zenimax bought the Elder Scrolls IP from Bethesda Game Studios.

These are just some things I think they really messed up on. Personally I wish they would stop what they are doing and remake. Theme park is dead. I know some people really like themepark games, but  (this is an assumtion) I really think that is because they have not been given anything else. If Skyrim was an MMORPG with hundreds of people running around doing what they want and killing who they wanted...... There would be only one.

I assume that the only TES game you ever played was Skyrim, wasn't it?

something they can do is implement a campaign wide vote at or near the end of a campaign to see if the players want to reset the teams or keep them the same.

that way if its extremely unbalanced and one faction is wrecking the other two, the other two factions can out vote the winning faction and reset the teams.

if they are epic battles the factions can all agree to keep the teams the same.

maybe not implement it exactly like that, but you get the point...

Given the option most gamers will take the easy path. I hate it but its a fact.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    What I wanted from The Elder Scrolls online was for them to bring the MMO to The Elder Scrolls, instead they've gone the other way to where it's nothing like The Elder Scrolls, even though it was an IP that most suited being an MMO that did something totally different. 

Originally posted by tixylix
    What I wanted from The Elder Scrolls online was for them to bring the MMO to The Elder Scrolls, instead they've gone the other way to where it's nothing like The Elder Scrolls, even though it was an IP that most suited being an MMO that did something totally different. 

please explain how it is nothing like elder scrolls and totally different.

i swear people just make stuff up now in order to bash games.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

With all respect, if it bothers you that much to have this much depth in an mmorpg please feel free to play a bajillion other games.  The rest of us get to have a game as well.

The bar is being raised in the genre by two titles:

Hence, this is the year of Elder Scrolls Online, a 3 faction mmorpg brought to you by the genius behind the trademarked series and Dark Age of Camelot (Matt Firor).

2014 will hopefully mark the continued age of the 3 realm mmorpg with distinct race and class differences (mirrored 3 faction gamed absolutely do not hold to this standard of imagination and lore depth) with Camelot Unchained.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by Comaf

With all respect, if it bothers you that much to have this much depth in an mmorpg please feel free to play a bajillion other games.  The rest of us get to have a game as well.

The bar is being raised in the genre by two titles:

Hence, this is the year of Elder Scrolls Online, a 3 faction mmorpg brought to you by the genius behind the trademarked series and Dark Age of Camelot (Matt Firor).

2014 will hopefully mark the continued age of the 3 realm mmorpg with distinct race and class differences (mirrored 3 faction gamed absolutely do not hold to this standard of imagination and lore depth) with Camelot Unchained.

Wow thats high praise for a Theampark MMO, with limited world PvP, filled with instancing!!! 

ESO had the opportunity to be an amazing sandbox, with great world pvp and a new fresh crafting system..... 

But alas another sheep has to follow the WoW path............         ?    ...............................  

(Pretty soon employers in real life will have specially design hats that project a Question Mark over there head)

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

Where did you read that? 

Direct developer's quote was that campaigns may have reset times, and if they do the reset time will be somewhere between 6-12 months. Which I personally don't like, but at least the duration will be huge.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

If MMORPG.com was to clean up all the hate that comes from both sides then these game specific forums wouldn't exist. These forums are built on a bedrock of hate, and one either likes it or they don't. Those who don't should absolutely seek out another avenue of discussion, but they should just go and not stick around constantly trying to change how this site is run.

But we are proving that contention wrong right now aren't we?

I pretty much think the two of us fundamentally disagree on this particular point - but there is no flaming, hating or insults involved here.

The volume of posts may decrease with increased moderation, but the site wouldn't cease to exist...

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

Because it's a proven industry fact that themeparks have more money-making potential than sandboxes.

Investors don't get behind major games to tell their grandkids "I was part of the funding for this game people played 4 years then went defunct".

Originally posted by Baseline

Because it's a proven industry fact that themeparks have more money-making potential than sandboxes.

Investors don't get behind major games to tell their grandkids "I was part of the funding for this game people played 4 years then went defunct".

I think people calling TES a themepark game need to play a pure sandbox game like Minecraft for a few weeks to get what it means. At best TES was only in part sandbox, while most of the game was themepark. The most basic part of what makes a real sandbox game is the ability to build and change the world is just not there.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Sandbox fans are against quests right, so you want to level by grinding mobs?

What about playing an asain mmo then?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Arcona

Sandbox fans are against quests right, so you want to level by grinding mobs?

What about playing an asain mmo then?

Ah but you see... when your mind gets numb from repetitive grinding for hours it begins to wander and then the "magic of sandboxing" kicks in and you invent your own story.

Mind you... it always tends to be the same own story, you know? The one with nubile elven women who have been kept away from males... until you came along?

And that my friend, is why sandboxes are best.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED