Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar ZAM interview - PVP stats are in the game

DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Link

I'm very much against this. What's your opinion?

Comments

• ozbaabozbaab Member Posts: 10
    I'm generally against PvP stats since it means you'll often get raped when trying to quest. But, since Carbines view of creating WIldstar is extremely competitive, it doesn't surprise me. And since I'm more of a PvE'er, I don't really care!
  • duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95

resilience too eh? literally everything in WoW. that's good from a thempark quality standpoint, but this won't go over as well as anyone thinks.

if WoW added housing today they wouldn't get back their 3 million lost customers nor would the sandbox crowd pay them any mind. so we have another game coming out doing their best WoW impression and fighting for the crumbs that fall from blizzard's mouth.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

they need to stop having special "pvp" and "pve" stats.

just have your end game gear, and let people get it via pvp and pve, if someone doesnt want to do one or the other this impacts them 0, if someone does both, again 0 impact.

its the only way to have balance since theres no throwing anything off by having different stat sets.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Instead of all these articles about what this games does. Couldn't they just time by making a single article explaining the one or two features that aren't an exact copy of wow.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Instead of all these articles about what this games does. Couldn't they just time by making a single article explaining the one or two features that aren't an exact copy of wow.

Housing, Warplots, active combat, dynamic events etc. But that's not the point here.

Carbine seems to be going the "safe" route with this PVP stats announcement by copying WoW model. What they are not thinking about is that replicating bad features of succesful game is not the way to go.

The housing is just instanced though isn't it.
    Originally posted by DeniZg

Housing, Warplots, active combat, dynamic events etc. But that's not the point here.

Carbine seems to be going the "safe" route with this PVP stats announcement by copying WoW model. What they are not thinking about is that replicating bad features of succesful game is not the way to go.

just proved shaky's point. that very brief set of words is all you have to explain about WS to set it apart. saves alot of time indeed.

• FadernFadern Member Posts: 37

1. Because there will always be some path that are easier than the other path. And if it is easier to get pvp gear - pve'rs will have to do or atleast the competitive pve´rs will have to do pvp to be competitive in the begining of new raids.

2. Because if a pvp´er with good pvp gear will outdps a pve´er the pve´er will complain and wice verse.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Just created a topic on their forums: http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/the-i-am-against-pvp-stats-thread.2800/

Please vote there if you are against it. Devs are constantly checking this forum!

I am against it, which should be obvious for everyone else.

• eisenryueisenryu Member Posts: 157
    I honestly don't think it would be too much of a problem, as long as they don't do something ridiculous on top of that like say.... 40% starting pvp damage reduction! >_<

World of Warcraft is the original creation of God. Real Life is in fact a WoW clone.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Link

It's the ONLY solution to keep people from doing PvE raids and then owning in PvP. Well, either that or get rid of PvP gear altogether (which GW2 tried and it's arguably a failure).

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Roxtarr

Link

It's the ONLY solution to keep people from doing PvE raids and then owning in PvP. Well, either that or get rid of PvP gear altogether (which GW2 tried and it's arguably a failure).

they didn't ship with the tools and features to foster growth of the structured pvp. the structure itself is not bad a t all, it's actually very good. starting this month the stagnation in that area should begin to reverse. it had nothing to do at all with normalized gear.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Link

they didn't ship with the tools and features to foster growth of the structured pvp. the structure itself is not bad a t all, it's actually very good. starting this month the stagnation in that area should begin to reverse. it had nothing to do at all with normalized gear.

Exactly.

Lack of progression and boring maps with same objectives were killing GW2 sPVP, not normalized gear.

If believe if Wildstar implemented normalized gear in instanced PVP, where allowing gear obtained through such PVP to be used in open world (while having PVP stats, i don't care), would be the best solution for both PVE and PVP crowd.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

My opinion is perhaps i was wrong,this is trying to look more and more liek a Blizzard product.You knw ocheaper graphics,now trying to add in some Esport to make it relevant.

Games for YEARS have been very relevant without the esport ,bragging platform.You like a community to be all for getting along,once you bring in pvp bragging and a platform to showoff,it really ruins the community,trust me i knwo ,i been around Esport games since it started way back just before the World Cyber games and CPL and such.

I would like to see mor of this developer proving to me they are not just former Blizzard employees trying to reproduce Blizzard gaming.

This title has so much potential,tons opf upside,only slightly ruined by the Wowesque graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

Just created a topic on their forums: http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/the-i-am-against-pvp-stats-thread.2800/

Please vote there if you are against it. Devs are constantly checking this forum!

I am against it, which should be obvious for everyone else.

And your poll is 50/50 which is exaclty what is to be expected. PvE players don't want to have to PvP to get PvP gear.

One more thing people don't get: PvP gear's accessibiliy isn't just based on time in the game - it's based on elo rating (skill). You still have to be decent to get the best stuff.  WildStar's matchmaking will only put you up against opponents of similar elo rating so you're not going to going up agaist the best of the best anyway, unless you're good. But at least you won't be good becasue of that awesome sword drop you got in a raid - you'll be good because you can actually PvP.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Has any game with separate pve / pvp stats actually had decent pvp? I sure as hell can't think of one. Magic stats that only work in one play mode are a huge "danger mines" sign that days "poor pvp ahead" imo.
    The 50% against probably played mmos that weren't wow (or a clone like swtor and rift)
  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Has any game with separate pve / pvp stats actually had decent pvp? I sure as hell can't think of one. Magic stats that only work in one play mode are a huge "danger mines" sign that days "poor pvp ahead" imo.

Agreed Mo. I had high hopes for this one...this crap is really getting old. Another WoW clone FTL. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    You thought there wouldn't be? 90% of this game follows WoW design.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by bcbully
    You thought there wouldn't be? 90% of this game follows WoW design.

A fella can have dreams can't he? lol...

• GrohmmGrohmm Member Posts: 7

You don't remember WoW vanilla if you don't want to have pvp stats...

I was really well geared at the time, more than 95% of WoW players. In PvP, I killed almost everyone, the same geared as me, skill etc..., and the poor random players. They couldn't do anything against PvE players who liked PvP, it's was ridiculous.

At the time of Zul Gurub, there was a trinket that take 2 fully month to have, with a great investment in materials. When i had this trinket, it gave me a free skill in my opening cycle in PvP, And this one trinket makes a huge difference. With PvP stats, the trinket would have certainly been less effective.

Seriously, we could kill opposite faction member who doesn't had a great PvE stuff in two shots... For me, it was absolutely perfect but i could understand the frustration of the non-PvE players.

So why do you want to have PvP stuff with no PvP stats? And worst of all, the normalized gear??? This stupidity for casuals from GW2 that totally ruined the PvP.. I've never seen a feature like this before in a MMO and it was awful. It killed the purpose of making PvP. The fun of PvP is not the only thing MMO players are looking for in this games.. The progression is the chore of a MMORPG, you really have to understand this. You don't begin a MMO with all the stuff and stats and talents and everything. You start from ashes, and progress. You have to invest time in the game in order to be the best. And the more you are skilled, the faster you get geared. Like real life with promotion at work :)!

And Carbine is totally right to listen to hardcore player and follow this path, because casual players want everything with no effort, and it litteraly ruins a game. With this path, WS is going to last over the years and have a great amount of great players.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by ozbaab
    I'm generally against PvP stats since it means you'll often get raped when trying to quest. But, since Carbines view of creating WIldstar is extremely competitive, it doesn't surprise me. And since I'm more of a PvE'er, I don't really care!

There was no way to introduce really difficult PVE content with a large gear progression system and not have some form of sperate gear stats.  If they hadn't done this than one of the two progressions paths would have had a shortcut around it via the other path or one of the two activites would have been at a signifncant disadvantage to the people at the top tier of the other.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Luckily I'm more of a faction vs faction(wvw  or rvr in other games) and pve type player. Though honestly I believe anything competitive far as PVP goes should be skilled based, that's just my opinion.

I don't like battleground pvp or something that is most commonly decided by who has the best gear, rather than who has the right skill set ups, who was usuing the right movement, teamwork, and  etc. Not by who had enough time to grind pve stuff just to be great in pvp.

I don't mind it for open world pvp, cause I don't do pvp servers for that reason, now faction vs faction, that's fine by me for this game, it being gear based. Course I doubt that has anything to do with PVP stats, only the battlegrounds or w/e I belive, so i won't be playing those.

What makes it slightly better is the combat mechanics, I believe it is a hybrid like GW2, and the way the hits are, like you can dodge attacks and block. That there makes it much better for pvp stats IMO. Still I won't be playing that part but eh it's cool.

Still hope this game isn't P2P.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by ozbaab

There was no way to introduce really difficult PVE content with a large gear progression system and not have some form of sperate gear stats.  If they hadn't done this than one of the two progressions paths would have had a shortcut around it via the other path or one of the two activites would have been at a signifncant disadvantage to the people at the top tier of the other.

That makes no sense.  There are supposed to be multiple progression paths in this game according to the marketing spiel they've been pumping out.  You know, the optional raids, crafting is viable, adventuring, questing, pvp, etc.  Was that all just bs?

This is sounding a lot more like Rift everyday and that's not a good thing.

The day they talked about cattering to the 1% raid crowd I realized all those other things where really not going to matter.  Sure you might be able to earn decent gear soloing, crafting, doing small group content or via PVP but raiding will be the top of the food chain gear wise.  This game will be no diffierent than WoW, Rift, or EQ2 in that regard.

I will either raid in Wildstar or I won't play the game.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    PVP gear and stats is terrible.