Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Review In Progress #1

Comments

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    No disrespect, but I did not get very much at all from this review. Nothing that gave me a real feel for anything. I know this is the first part, but if you are going to focus on crafting how about talking about the system and how it works and give your review of that? How about talking about the UI besides just the size of chat? This article just didn't seem to have any real information. I was expecting a lot more than this when I clicked on the link.

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78
    Darkfall is the best mmo that has graced the world since AC1 DT!

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I'd like to take a moment to point out some really great features of DFUW that an old Darkfall 1 player can say really makes a big difference in this full loot sandbox PvP game...

- NO MACROS NEEDED: Completely removed all dependance on macroing. In the original Darkfall, I literally ran a huge autohotkey script at all times because the game was almost unplayable (competitively) without them. They have added many great additions to the keybindings, completely overhauled the GUI, and completely overhauled the way in which players engage in combat... Take it from me, it's 100x better.

- NO "GRINDING" NEEDED: Back in the original game, I would literally macro every single night so I could max my stats and skills. DFUW has added a skilling system called Prowess. When you do literally anything, you get prowess points... kill a mob, mine a metal node, skin a dead mob, chop a tree, gather herb, craft armors, craft weapons, craft boats, literally anything... and these points are used to lvl up ANY skill you wish. Your stats, your skills, anything. You can literally create a character, go pvp and kill players to gain prowess. You can do ANYTHING to gain prowess pretty much. Just play the game and so it is.

- ADDED SAFE ZONES: The new safe zones are really great. In a very small area surrounding the starting NPC cities for the different races, there is a green safe zone where other players can do no damage to you. For example, if you are in the wild and just crossed into a safe zone... there is a 20 second buffer and once complete, you are safe and free to bank/gather/craft in peace. The world is MASSIVE so these small areas around the NPC cities seem big, but its a very small portion of the map. This is going to help new players so much and it will help ease people into the full loot mechanics. Bravo.

• bw123bw123 Member Posts: 2
    I totally agree with everything you've said here.  The only thing I have found that I have a problem with is the 10k prowess you need to buy crafting masteries.  Really? 10k?  Saving up has taken away so much from development of my character.  I understand that after I advance to making the better stuff, I will gain all that back in a minute, but getting that initial 10k has been very hard for me to do since i really suck at pvp, and I am not complaining about it, I love it!!!!! Never has a game given me the rush i get when being attacked!  Of course I almost never win the fight, but that does not get me down, I just go back and do it again!  Best game I've ever played aside from the original.  This is truly a unique game. You might find some close to it, but there is nothing out there like it.
  • bw123bw123 Member Posts: 2
    my first comment was directed at phain
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

Very passionate this games playerbase. 

I love this game,  I had my doubts and I did not like how it leaned away from sandbox into a more class based system.  But I love it and I love the diserfication. 

In DF1 everyone was the same,  and everyone was forced into using Magic to some extent.  The new Role system is great

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

It's a solid game, it came out pretty well in the end after the launch related trouble late last year.

Looking forward to how it develops in the first live month. If I'm not mistaken we can expect the market place (trade post), dungeons, and some other things before the first subscription cycle hits.

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by arbacus

uzik where did i say i didnt stop to kill harvesters

i killed the ones that were not in alliance guilds but they would often delete their recources so i didnt get much out of it

1) Deleting resources does not work.  Anything deleted within the last 5 minutes shows on the enemies corpse.

2) My whole point was that semi-afk gathering was not that effective because the alts get killed, so I guess you just proved my point.

Thanks again!

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Best MMO I have played in the last 5 years.

Love it.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Can you still jump over walls using magic?
  • XanderxavierXanderxavier Member UncommonPosts: 25

Actually, darkfall 2's safe zones encourage pvp, as for both noob players and noob pvper's the immediate surround of the safezones are a hive of activity, 90% of the nodes in the safezones are tapped by alts anyhow, so most noobs have to venture outside it for resources, which helps ease new players into pvp and new pvprs into focusing on the skills and attributes needed to quickly and effectively bring down an opponent before they run off, whilst simulatinously training the noob player, on how to better run away from combat they dont think they can win, both of these skills are vital long-term in darkfall, and are now essentially provided in a form of a tutorial, without any real tutorial merely by safe zones inclusions.

Tbh nothing but greifing ever occured inside towns in df1 anyhow, and its no great loss, and new players getting pwnd by experience ones on their first mob spawn is not fun its not hardcore its infact the very opposite, the safe zones are just large enough for new players to find their feet, and surrounded by things that are just good enough to encourage new players to want to leave it, that tempting looking ore node, and oh look another 20 metres away from safezone theres another and so on.

People who hate the new safezones clearly havent through it through or are dedicated griefers who run away from fair fights.

• arbacusarbacus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Uzik
    Originally posted by arbacus

uzik where did i say i didnt stop to kill harvesters

i killed the ones that were not in alliance guilds but they would often delete their recources so i didnt get much out of it

1) Deleting resources does not work.  Anything deleted within the last 5 minutes shows on the enemies corpse.

2) My whole point was that semi-afk gathering was not that effective because the alts get killed, so I guess you just proved my point.

Thanks again!

you missed where i said i personally semi afk gathered for many hours as well as witnessed many of my allianc emembers doing the same?

• kinkanatkinkanat Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I have an important question, the answer depends'll buy the game or not:
    The game has good PVE? or almost only PVP?

I leave the darkfall 1.0 because it was a 90% PVP.

As this now darfall 2.0 the PVE? is good?
  • sandwitchsandwitch Member Posts: 2
    first darkfall had swag. this dont doesnt mkay
  • sandwitchsandwitch Member Posts: 2

kinkanat darkfall is great for pve. but right now if you go anywhere outside the safezone there will be someone chasing you 5 minutes after you start farming. so get friends with you.

• CaptainDuneCaptainDune Member UncommonPosts: 1

Full loot isn't "hardcore" enough for you?  You're a serious derp if you think any game out there can work without SOME small safe zones.  It's not PvP when you can't even restock yourself after you just got full looted.

Go back to WoW fanboy.

• bambuchabambucha Member Posts: 19

best thing about 'new' darkfall is its progression system change. no more chopping trees for hours instead of you know... playing the game. Now you can actually play the game, have fun, do whatever you feel like doing at that moment - without being 'punished' for doing so (in character progression sense).

of course, you could still cut some wood, its just that now its optional, instead of mandatory.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by CaptainDune

Full loot isn't "hardcore" enough for you?  You're a serious derp if you think any game out there can work without SOME small safe zones.  It's not PvP when you can't even restock yourself after you just got full looted.

Go back to WoW fanboy.

The only safe zone after tutorial should be the one you and your friends control.

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

Now that all progression is driven by completing feats, most of which are away from the safezones, it isn't that huge of a deal.

I do think that a working alignment system would be better than safezones, but it is a good enough stop gap measure until AV can spend more time on it.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• XandramasXandramas Member Posts: 73
    This game is terribly horrible. The UI is ugly and unintuitive. The gameplay is slow and lackluster. The world is barren of anything interesting to look at. Just about looks like a random terrain generator did the work. The cities are nothing but walls an a couple of sprites claiming to be things. The combat is nothing impressive. Dont waste your money on this piece of shit. Play one of the many other games out there.
  • kinkanatkinkanat Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Xandramas these very wrong, the game is as realistic as it has come till now, it's okay MMO with many lights, looking like children and guiding you to the toilet horn.
    I really liked a lot in version 1.0, but quit because I had almost PVE content, and was mostly PVP.
    So I will be concerned as now, if you will have some PVE and PVP focus much.
    And over the world, in its version 1.0 is one of the worlds best and biggest I've seen in my life, perfect.
  • kozzmozz7kozzmozz7 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    The game is great, the heartbeat feeling you get is unmatched in other games. In this game, you are the character, its not just pixels, its you, and your invested time and you choose what you do with it! brilliant !
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Amazing game, Got its faults but they will be sorted out in time to come.

Well done AV, The perfect MMO.

• furnapsfurnaps Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I guess you never played darkfall to claim that it isnt hardcore pvp.. I can't attest to the new version but I played Darkfall for a year and I can say that it was the defintion of hardcore pvp. You died and you body got ransacked for everything on it, You couldnt leave the Tiny safe zones without looking over your shoulder contantly, Players with skill could tear apart newbs and make them quit the game within a day. It was a harsh experience for someone not used to that type of pvp. While I loved the game it was actually to harsh for me call me acare bear but Unless you are very good at the pvp it because a game of crafting and farming mobs to get killed and farm more mobs to get killed again lol.. I just was not a good enough player to compeat I didnt spend the time I should have to Dual guildies and get better. THis is one of those games that the people that spend hours each day dueling are the ones that will decimate you and your friends and take all your gear when you leave the safe zones. Never in any other game has my heart rate skyrocketed and I felt a Real fight of flight response in a video game. There is just something about spending hours making armor and farming for reagents and then getting jumped and fighting for you life and everything on your body that you just spent hours getting. If I could dedicate the time to actually getting good I would play the game again but I know I would not be able to dedicate the time to get good enough to not just get ganked around every corner.. Darkfall was a very hardcore game, I cant say about the new version if they have made it more care bear or not but Imo it is a hardcore pvp game. Just because it has safe zones doesnt mean anything you cant stay in those safe zones forever. 
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Flesaur

First impressions are that the game is a lot of fun, although picking your class is important as you'll have one char per account.  Started as a warrior before deleting/re-rolling as a primalist just to fit my play-style.

welcome to Agon.  glad you're enjoying.

when you said "deleting/re-rolling", i hope you don't mean throwing away your prowess gain by actually deleting your character and making a new one.

you can play ALL the classes ("roles" as Av like to call them) with your same character without losing any prowess!

along the right column of icons is a Role Management button.  you can click on that and switch to whatever role you like.  with the same character.   

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------