Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Developer names make you NOT buy/play a game?

CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Often when we see a Developer is making a new game, we also see gamers get all excited for the return of this MMO Messiah.

However, there are also Developers whos names ring hollow. Where just the mention of a certain Devs name can send chills down a gamers back.

Here is a list some of some of the Devs whos names will make me instantly NOT buy a game - Garriot, McQuaid, Bowman, Emmert, Smart, Flamborous, Roper, Jacobs

I was wondering what Dev names other gamers have on their "Heck No" list

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

None.

I buy/play games, not dev names.

Any dev can make a good game, or a bad game. Whether i play or not depends on the game, not the developer.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    EA

Don't buy any of their products anymore

Ubisoft were on a ban once too, and activision have come close.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Gamigo
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    EA and Cryptic. No more pro-orders for them. I will only buy one of their games after its launched and all reposts say its awesome. I no longer trust them.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

EA and I'm leery of NCSoft.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Funcom

Bioware

Aventurine

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Ok, you are all listing Game Companies (though I agree. EA is on my list)

I was actually wondering about specific Developers.

That when you hear that  _____  is heading up the project as Lead Dev, it automatically makes you turn away or lose interest in the game.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

None.

But I might think twice about buying a certain game when the developer that is attached to it has put out some serious shit in the recent past.

People aren't robots though, many do in fact learn from mistakes. The world isn't just black and white.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh in that case Jeff hickman
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

I was actually wondering about specific Developers.

Bill Roper / Brad McQuaid

they both had a good history in game making  (Blizzard North / EQ)

but i have no faith in them due to their later failures (Hellgate London/Vanguard)

I know someone is going to give Mark Jacobs flack for DAOC TOA

but Matt Firor (TESO lead dev) was part of that mess too

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/09/12/dark-age-of-camelot-trials-of-atlantis-interview?page=1

• WinterhoundWinterhound Member Posts: 66

Company: EA, Maxis (SimCity was a horrible taste in my mouth)

Specific person: Jay Wilson, Lead Designer of Diablo 3 (that guy insults the gaming community and doesn't have the #1 skill for game developers: listening)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Any one that makes themepark AAA MMOs that think we want to watch movies instead of play a game.
  • VigilianceVigiliance Member UncommonPosts: 213

I haven't really looked at individual developers but company wise..

EA and Activision.

EA has ruined many good games for me, the biggest offence was Warhammer online.

Activision for its butchering of the Call of duty series.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    SOE is the only developer on my blacklist.  There are others that I approach cautiously, but only SOE gets an outright ban on my harddrive :)  I have no clue how they're still in business.  Every game they've ever touched was ruined by them or was broke and never fixed from the very begining.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Mr John Romero

edit_and funcom

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

EA and NCSoft. They canceled the only other MMORPGs I've played. Yes, I can carry a grudge against a company for years. This also means I can try games from smaller companies and give them a little boost.

It's the circle of business life. You start small, you get big, you get slow, you fall to the new small company. The only way to stay big is to become too big to fail.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Pretty much won't buy, period

• NCSoft
    • Anything from a Korean company, really.
    • EA
    • Bioware

Will buy, assuming the genre is interesting

• Activision
    • Blizzard
    • CD Projekt
    • Bethesda Softworks

You make me like charity

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

EA

Bioware

Cryptic

Turbine

NCSOFT

it does not matter about developer name, they are not calling the shots it matters about the suits in the company giving the devs the marching orders

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Daniel Erickson

Rich Vogel

Gordon Walton

Gaute Godager

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by erictlewis

EA

Bioware

Cryptic

Turbine

NCSOFT

it does not matter about developer name, they are not calling the shots it matters about the suits in the company giving the devs the marching orders

I disagree to a point. Each of the developers by name that I have listed have espoused certain views on certain systems/features in MMO design that I completely disagree with them on. As such I would not play anything they put their hands on in the future as I know it wouldn't be fun for me.

That's not to say that I don't have a view dev companies as a whole that I look the other way if they announce a new MMO title. I just believe that one can drill down into certain titles and find key person(s) that because things had to be their way one found the title less enjoyable.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Often when we see a Developer is making a new game, we also see gamers get all excited for the return of this MMO Messiah.

However, there are also Developers whos names ring hollow. Where just the mention of a certain Devs name can send chills down a gamers back.

Here is a list some of some of the Devs whos names will make me instantly NOT buy a game - Garriot, McQuaid, Bowman, Emmert, Smart, Flamborous, Roper, Jacobs

I was wondering what Dev names other gamers have on their "Heck No" list

I base my decision on what I I've heard about a game. Through features and footage about the game. The developer does have some lean on which way I feel about previous products produced but it's not how I make my final decision.

At the risk of disturbing him, I agree with Mtibbs1989 here

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

None.

I buy/play games, not dev names.

Any dev can make a good game, or a bad game. Whether i play or not depends on the game, not the developer.

Fully agree....

Sorry OP but I just don't understand how gamers can make these type of topics.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    McQuaid and Smart.

Two ego driven failures.
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

McQuaid, Smart, and Jacobs.

EDIT: Heh, I just realized it sounds like a law firm. That explains a lot.