Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Steam Unveils Subscription Services

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the launch of Aventurine Studios' Darkfall: Unholy Wars, Steam users will now be able to manage subscription-based titles from within the Steam client itself.

With Subscription Plans, Steam offers gamers the ability to sign up and manage payments for subscription-based games on Steam. The launch title for the new service is Darkfall Unholy Wars, with additional subscription-based games to follow.

Steam customers may now sign-up for, manage, cancel or renew game Subscription Plans at any time, online directly through Steam.

Read the full announcement on Steam.

Thanks, Spookydom, for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Herbie3000Herbie3000 Member Posts: 1
    Would so play this game if it didn't require a sub :(
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Herbie3000

If you can't afford the sub to a game like this, then it probably isn't for you anyway. This is full loot with consequences, F2P doesn't work here. Use your brain for a second.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You know, this is really good idea for indie mmos and what have you. They don't have to manage a bunch of account security stuff, and gamers are more likely to trust valve with their credit card details than some company they hardly know. So its probably a good way to get more people into your mmo, because it removes a trust barrier.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by ironhelix

If you can't afford the sub to a game like this, then it probably isn't for you anyway. This is full loot with consequences, F2P doesn't work here. Use your brain for a second.

Full loot is so hardcore because it makes players pick one of dozens of suits of armor from their bank each time they die.  Actually, that sounds about as hardcore as the gold cost to repair equipment in WoW.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

I view this as a positive step.  I tried to buy the original DF and was unsuccessful because my bank card wouldn't go through without pre-approval from me since they were an overseas company or something.

I'm more likely to try buying DF:UW through Steam should I decide to give the game a try one day. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I'm sure plenty of MMO's would like to take advantage of this new functionality within Steam, especially ones made by smaller development teams.
  • fenring101fenring101 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Full loot is so hardcore because it makes players pick one of dozens of suits of armor from their bank each time they die.  Actually, that sounds about as hardcore as the gold cost to repair equipment in WoW.

Shh, you cant tell them that or they'll realise that their most important achievements in life dont really matter...

Though your point is valid, full loot does little except force people to use only what they can afford to lose, same as it is in EVE really.

Myself I would rather a hardcore game where I can collect the heads of people I kill and then have a trophy room. Should still be able to loot their gold though, but normal gear? why oh why would anyone steal everything a person has on them, doesnt make any sense lol.

Still used to laugh at my collection of corpses when I played EVE, especially when it was someone you detested.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by fenring101

Shh, you cant tell them that or they'll realise that their most important achievements in life dont really matter...

Though your point is valid, full loot does little except force people to use only what they can afford to lose, same as it is in EVE really.

Myself I would rather a hardcore game where I can collect the heads of people I kill and then have a trophy room. Should still be able to loot their gold though, but normal gear? why oh why would anyone steal everything a person has on them, doesnt make any sense lol.

Still used to laugh at my collection of corpses when I played EVE, especially when it was someone you detested.

Really it's only because of a poorly-designed system.

AC: Darktide had it flawlessly.  You didn't have crap gear that you had in the bank, you kept high value death items that you would (hopefully) replenish before you died again and that got taken before your good stuff.  If you died multiple times, though, you could end up losing some really, really nice stuff.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

That's not the point. The point is that monetizing a full loot game means people can actually have the items they spent REAL money looted off their corpse. Are you really ready to drop your hard-earned cash on pixels that I can steal from you in the game? If you ARE, then it seems like you can afford a subscription too. Get it?

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145

That's not the point. The point is that monetizing a full loot game means people can actually have the items they spent REAL money looted off their corpse. Are you really ready to drop your hard-earned cash on pixels that I can steal from you in the game? If you ARE, then it seems like you can afford a subscription too. Get it?

I believe the point he is making is that the DFUW supports claim how hardcore and meaningful the pvp is because of full loot, but how is it at all when you can just roll up to the bank and replace that suit of armor every single time? 

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by RandomDown

I believe the point he is making is that the DFUW supports claim how hardcore and meaningful the pvp is because of full loot, but how is it at all when you can just roll up to the bank and replace that suit of armor every single time? 

That is assuming you went through the trouble of obtaining a spare suit of armor, weapons, potions, reagents, harvesting tools and gold every time you die.  Which is a lot.  And you can't instant travel back to your corpse, or gain back experience from your grave.  

When compared to WoW, where you lose nothing but a little bit of time, it's very hardcore.  Oh sorry, a small repair cost, which you can't do in DF.  You have to replace your items completely.  They break and can't be repaired.

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    And everyone talks about having this massive bank filled with gear, or the massive clan bank with never ending gear they can just go and re-equip themselves at. Doesn't that that hard to replace at all from what the fans keep saying.

Gear doesn't just spawn in your bank. You have to make it with materials that you harvested (or buy it, which means you need gold that also doesn't just miraculously spawn in your bank). High level gear that is REQUIRED for endgame PvP is not easy to craft. You don't just "roll up to the bank" and replace anything. Do you even play the game?

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    And everyone talks about having this massive bank filled with gear, or the massive clan bank with never ending gear they can just go and re-equip themselves at. Doesn't that that hard to replace at all from what the fans keep saying.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    add perma death and maybe, just maybe I will see full loot as hardcore....
  • SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Why is it's sub price so much more expensive?
    I'm guessing it works gear wise like eve

If youre just going out mining you take a ship you can afford to loose.

If youre taking part in a battle with your corp which you must win, or else you loose some prime territory, you bring your best.

It's a sort of gambling, you weigh up what gear you can afford to loose vs the gains you could make or the losses you could prevent by taking part in an activity.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Just when I didn't think I could love Steam anymore than I already do.

Thank you Steam!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

You gotta love the total snob approach to a game.....

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I'm guessing it works gear wise like eve

If youre just going out mining you take a ship you can afford to loose.

If youre taking part in a battle with your corp which you must win, or else you loose some prime territory, you bring your best.

It's a sort of gambling, you weigh up what gear you can afford to loose vs the gains you could make or the losses you could prevent by taking part in an activity.

you got it right. and to get these items you need the good spawns....now territory control kicks in.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Sarariel
    Why is it's sub price so much more expensive?

Than what?  14.99 is pretty standard for a subscription.  The only thing really different is most sub games offer a bit of a discount if you sub for more than one month at a time and I don't think  that is the case with Darkfall (though I could very well be wrong).

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Why do most of the threads on this site devolve into F2P vs Sub  catfights?

Steam drops an awesome new bit of SERVICE on us and the first post is a whine that every game in the univserse hasn't opened itself up the completely useless freeloading gamer crowd.

Blows my mind.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

If only you knew anything about this game. Yea you can have dozens and dozens of armor sets if its crap... in df1 armor was not a big unfluence  in Darkfall unholy wars it is.  Some stuff is going to be to expensive/ time consuming to create for anyone to run careless around with it.

Please dont talk about anything you have no knowledge of.

Why is it £12.49 though, most mmos are £8.99
    Originally posted by Theocritus

You gotta love the total snob approach to a game.....

How is this the snob approach? First of all, F2P is pretty much universally MORE expensive than a subscription, and furthermore, if you are ready to throw money at in-game items that you can immediately lose by having them looted as soon as you leave town, then you must not be very concerned about your money. What you guys are asking for would cost you FAR more than a subscription. But hey, people like you are exactly why F2P exists in the first place.