Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: The Importance of Testing

2»

Comments

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

well, we are maybe 3 to 5 months before zenimax internal release date so any real change of design or content isn't to expected so lets predict the future of TESO based on the information we have .... (and please don't take me too serious)

may 2013 - the alpha testers are aware of the lack of content and gamefeatures that could provide a longevity for the game

june 2013 - first close beta events will take place, mainly to test the servers

july 2013 - major beta test takes place to test the pvp mechanics and - oh wonder - the engine can't stand more than 50 people fighting in one place

september 2013 - trion announce the release date for archeage to be in december. zenimax has to go live with TESO before or go back to development for another 6 months. some suits and financial analysts choose to release TESO in november

november 2013 - release of TESO. 500.000 copies are sold.

january 2014 - one third of the buyers didn't subscribe for an additional month mainly because they are through with the story, on max level and don't have interest in meaningless buggy pvp

march 2014 - the casual gamers (those who are playing slow and don't spend more than 10 hrs a week in a game) are done with the content too and are moving to another game

june 2014 - the subscription number is down to 100.000

july 2014 - zenimax announce TESO to go freemium in the next months

november 2014 - TESO goes freemium and can triple the subcriptions within the first month

january 2015 - TESO is back to 100.000 subscriptions and a monthly 2,5$ revenue per active playing user with the additional cashshop

• MarzAttakzMarzAttakz Member Posts: 17
    Not getting my hopes up in the least. Learnt from my previous mistakes. Not a Skyrim fanboi either, clunky combat, ludicrous character animations, "freedom" to level stats you use, retarded stealth mechanic, m'yeah, maybe TESO will be good, maybe it'll be bad but I'm not pinning my hopes on it being genre changing in the least.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Lanfea

well, we are maybe 3 to 5 months before zenimax internal release date so any real change of design or content isn't to expected so lets predict the future of TESO based on the information we have .... (and please don't take me too serious)

may 2013 - the alpha testers are aware of the lack of content and gamefeatures that could provide a longevity for the game

june 2013 - first close beta events will take place, mainly to test the servers

july 2013 - major beta test takes place to test the pvp mechanics and - oh wonder - the engine can't stand more than 50 people fighting in one place

september 2013 - trion announce the release date for archeage to be in december. zenimax has to go live with TESO before or go back to development for another 6 months. some suits and financial analysts choose to release TESO in november

november 2013 - release of TESO. 500.000 copies are sold.

january 2014 - one third of the buyers didn't subscribe for an additional month mainly because they are through with the story, on max level and don't have interest in meaningless buggy pvp

march 2014 - the casual gamers (those who are playing slow and don't spend more than 10 hrs a week in a game) are done with the content too and are moving to another game

june 2014 - the subscription number is down to 100.000

july 2014 - zenimax announce TESO to go freemium in the next months

november 2014 - TESO goes freemium and can triple the subcriptions within the first month

january 2015 - TESO is back to 100.000 subscriptions and a monthly 2,5$ revenue per active playing user with the additional cashshop

The life cycle of any MMO release these days. I don't expect TESO to be any different. A shame the developers just don't get it.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

So sad, another ip wasted on the generic themepark MMO mold. Well, for anyone who is interested in this game, I hope for your sake that you don't get too disappointed.

Why did they have to get rid of the typical gritty look? Elder scroll series wasn't jolly colourful enough for the masses?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Watched the leaked footage and saw a very little that was new or different in the MMORPG game world, which means the game will be easy to pick up and play.

However, it will probably also be fairly easy to put down and walk away from when something new and shiny comes along.

I've had a decent break from medieval fantasy MMO's now. SWTOR, TSW, Planetside 2 and Defiance have given me a much needed scifi fix (skipped Tera and GW2), so by the time TESO rolls around, I'll be ready for some kill-ten-rats again... :D

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Mmm, yeah the article has a point. I'll save the henny penny until I see some footage of an ava battle going awry with the game engine sputtering three ways from Tuesday. Some kid turning everything down so he can run it on his compaq presario and then going through the motions at the start of the game does little to convince me of anything good OR bad.

• SulherokSulherok Member UncommonPosts: 24
    You guys do know that guy who posted that leak purposely set out to make the game look bad right?... How can i tell well one he stuck his name out there so everyone knew who he was and he knew he would be kicked outta beta after he posted that and by all the remarks i read he succeeded.
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    You know people always say "don't trust a beta the game will change a lot" but in 90% of all closed betas aside from some bug fixes nothing changes. Ive done a ton of closed betas and they are pretty much what u can expect at launch for low levels at least

Mystery Bounty

• Jakers7Jakers7 Member Posts: 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQXuwt4fP0
    This video is of a DEV giving a tutorial for ESO taken offscreen by a fan at PAX East 2013. I figured this should get more than 450 hits after that terrible “beta” video that recently came out. Watch this and then tell me that this game is gunna suck and isn’t beautiful. Watch before they take it off. Looks great on 1080P. After this video my hopes are restored and I'm super pumped for this game.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Zenimax, if you've learned anything from the leak video, I hope it's this:

Take as much time as you need to get the game right, but please just GET IT RIGHT by release. If you haven't guessed by now, 99% of us do in fact want Skyrim/ Obvilion / Morrowind online! That's probably the most frequent comment you'll encounter.