Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If there is a new Everquest..

spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

What does it need to keep from the original game? Or retain.

I'm going to say this- I think it should let everything be droppable, and keep the desirable rare loots like the old Everquest.(have named mobs etc) It maybe controversial but this is what fuelled it's economy.

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

*When

Not sure if you realised, but Everquest Next is pretty close ont he horizon. What does it need to keep? The diversity of classes and amazing world.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Some degree of forced downtime and reliance upon others. There's a broad spectrum between being unable to progress without buddies and being able to experience all content without any meaningful interaction.  Hopefully EQ next is somewhere along the spectrum which will foster community. 

Oh yeah, most important is a continued high allocation of development resources following the launch.

• SeshLowSeshLow Member Posts: 2

- a feeling of magnitude concerning the world; travelling has to be meaningful, nobody needs PoK books or (flying) mounts

- open world dungeons; maybe a handful of instances, but def. not 100%

- diversity of classes

- the world has to be tough; grouping should be required, at least for dungeons / high level zones and ofc raids

- no bazaar or auction house, let the players run the economy; besides that: trading back in the old days won me a lot of friends or at least group partners

- slow leveling; I'd be okay with the removal of hell-levels, but I don't wanna hit max level in two or three weeks like in all those modern MMOs

- droppable, useful gear; most raidgear can be no drop for all I care, but there should be a few rare sought-after pieces that are tradable (Cloak of Flames etc.), plus: it's always been fun to toss some mid-level stuff to struggling newbies

- talking about newbies: keep them buffable, don't start with this stupid downgrade-buff-mess that WoW made so popular

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

make it as similar to vanilla EQ1 as possible (with pvp servers), so i will list things that need to be different, rather than things that need to stay the same.

1. obviously the combat will need to be upgraded. not so much for the casters and healer but melee needs to be more updated for sure.

2. more sandbox elements than EQ had. i mainly say that because smed already claimed it would be a sandbox type game. but i do think that more sandbox elements can only be a good thing, which brings me to the next item...

3. much improved meaningful crafting. EQ2 definitely had better crafting than Eq1, so i have faith.

4. improved mob AI and scripting. give mobs more abilities and an overall wider range of different behavior in and out of combat.

5. more of a focus on pvp combat (assuming they have pvp servers, which they should). i am not talking about class balancing, this will be a game focused on pve grouping, but some things have to change, like the way resists are handled in pvp for example.

6. graphics, yes a no brainer but i feel it must have top of the line realistic graphics and especially character models.

pretty much, other than that everything should stay the same IMO.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

The original everquest did a lot of things right which is great. I say keep everything for the most part the same aside upgrading the game to modern standards.

They cannot remove vanity spells from the game, that is a deal breaker for me. Vanity spells at least for me gives the game a ton of immersion value. Your a mage that can wield the elements but cannot manipulate them enough to a lesser degree for other unique and fun aspects? Like levitating, augmentation to attack speeds and movement speeds? Transforming yourself into a wolf which gives you other benefits, or into a tree for increased regeneration etc. I mean that is what kept me playing EQ for the longest time, can't tell you how cool it was when you were a necro turning yourself into a flying spectre or using DMW on yourself. Just soo many cool applications and RP value.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No instances like vanilla is my number 1 want from it.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Oh yeah, and I don't want a new expansion every 6 months. I would like one once every 1 or 2 years. Sony messed up EQ by pushing out non-stop expansions, some of the things they released could have easily been patches for free, but instead they got a little money hungry which ruined the game for me.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No instances like vanilla is my number 1 want from it.

smed called EQnext a sandbox style game, i would be very surprised if it had instancing (and disappointed)

i hope when they do come out with expansions, its not to just raise the lvl cap and add more raid dungeons(smed confirmed there will be raids).

my hope is they continue to come out with new sandbox toys for us to play with.

if you are going to hype this as the largest sandbox game ever designed, you better focus heavily on the sandbox elements, especially with expansions.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

my list.

interdependency

emphasis on grouping without going so far as to require it

distinctions between classes

emphasis on travel/ exploration

fun things in store for the leveling player as well as the leveled player.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Classes and races. Hopefully we won't have to pay for every race except like 4 and the same for classes, but I am sure that is the way it will go...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Some degree of forced downtime and reliance upon others. There's a broad spectrum between being unable to progress without buddies and being able to experience all content without any meaningful interaction.  Hopefully EQ next is somewhere along the spectrum which will foster community. 

Oh yeah, most important is a continued high allocation of development resources following the launch.

Dude that would kill the game quicker than anything else.

It is not 2004 anymore. People don't want to be forced into playing with other people on schedules that don't suit them.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Iconic rare items. Named world mobs on very long spawn timers,  that are contested. An in depth NPC faction system. Mobs that can get pissed off at anyone in the area, all this new combat locking is just retarded., yes trains sucked but they added suspense to the game. 

As for soloing. Sure  allow for some soloing. Maybe 30% of the game should be soloable.  All  of you people who want solo oriented games can go play skyrim.  

Please less Instancing. I would be happy if none at all was used actually.  Open world content  that is challenging where players might actually need the help of others at times. Hell when was the last time someone thanked you for saving their butts in an mmo.

out of combat utility spells and abilities that can be part of the economy.  Teleports, rezzes (yes death penalties). 

The list goes on and on. The games these days are so shallow in so many ways. The attempt  of game developers to create a perfect balance between classes has robbed this genre of the magic that comes with a fantasy setting. 

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by baphamet

make it as similar to vanilla EQ1 as possible (with pvp servers), so i will list things that need to be different, rather than things that need to stay the same.

1. obviously the combat will need to be upgraded. not so much for the casters and healer but melee needs to be more updated for sure.

2. more sandbox elements than EQ had. i mainly say that because smed already claimed it would be a sandbox type game. but i do think that more sandbox elements can only be a good thing, which brings me to the next item...

3. much improved meaningful crafting. EQ2 definitely had better crafting than Eq1, so i have faith.

4. improved mob AI and scripting. give mobs more abilities and an overall wider range of different behavior in and out of combat.

5. more of a focus on pvp combat (assuming they have pvp servers, which they should). i am not talking about class balancing, this will be a game focused on pve grouping, but some things have to change, like the way resists are handled in pvp for example.

6. graphics, yes a no brainer but i feel it must have top of the line realistic graphics and especially character models.

pretty much, other than that everything should stay the same IMO.

Crafting, Mix SWG and EQ2+ Vanguard. Maybe approach the SWG style harvesting with owning land, harvest what you own and such. Would be cool in theory.

They need to keep mounts out of the game, much like EQ pre-luclin and GW2 now. It makes the world seem larger and more vast.

No fast travel, at all. Or make lazy players pay, a lot. Make the players use those boats. Cause the journey from Qeynos through the plains of Karana, through Highold Pass and into the Commonlands to reach Freeport, make it a journey, not some 'autorun' snorefest.

Unlike a lot of players, I enjoyed farming rarespawns and questing long epic quests.

Make death matter. When you are afraid of dying, you feel compelled to search out players to group with in the dungeons and makes earning that piece of loot much more important.

If they bring PvP into the mix, make it ruleset servers like EQ did. Factions based on aligment, dieties or starting cities. Sullon Zek was a blast.

And allow things that can promote such like Fancy the Bard, google it, seriously. Good times.

Originally posted by sethman75
    Originally posted by sketocafe Some degree of forced downtime and reliance upon others. There's a broad spectrum between being unable to progress without buddies and being able to experience all content without any meaningful interaction.  Hopefully EQ next is somewhere along the spectrum which will foster community.  Oh yeah, most important is a continued high allocation of development resources following the launch.
    Dude that would kill the game quicker than anything else.

It is not 2004 anymore. People don't want to be forced into playing with other people on schedules that don't suit them.

then you will likely be disappointed because this game will almost certainly have forced grouping like EQ1 had.

you will have to make friends and find a group with the people who are logged on when you are.

its what makes a good commuity because if you are a jerk or keep to yourself, it will be hard for you to find groups.