Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Neverwinter: Open Beta Launch Interview

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Today marks a seminal point in Neverwinter's development as the open beta, or "soft launch", begins with Founders checking into the game. We managed to corner Lead Designer Zeke Sparkes to find out what players can expect in the open beta. See what he had to say and then let us know what you think in the comments.

MMORPG: What sorts of content can we expect in the foundry on OBT launch?  Will content from beta remain?

Zeke Sparkes: A lot of the content will remain. We wanted to make sure that the community of authors was able to get us a nice head start. A lot of the stuff you saw in the beta builds will be there. We may even have a little bit more as well. There might be one or two that are a bit different from beta. We have a nice helping of content in the Foundry. And then more and more as people get building.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Neverwinter Open Beta Launch Interview.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Classes, classes bring the rest of DnD classes omg otherwise I'm afraid I might hurt my neighbour's kitten :)
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Classes, 5 is not even half what is needed for the game to be succesfull...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    There should have been atleast 2 classes available for ech of the 4 main jobs at release...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Classes, 5 is not even half what is needed for the game to be succesfull...

5 done right is better than 20 done half ass.

However I will also say that adding classes over time gives them more monitization options than releasing them at launch.  I don't know that was a factor to how many made launch but one could reasonably guess it was a factor.  I guess we we will just have to wait and see how they charge if at all for new classes, races and character slots.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    they have said classes will NOT be monetized im preety sure
  • alvaruzalvaruz Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Should I get the pack of 60$ right away, or it doesn'T worth it?
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Classes, 5 is not even half what is needed for the game to be succesfull...

Yeah, too bad they couldnt even manage getting 5 right.

20 half ass classes would have atleast given the game a bit of variety.

Also, cant even imagine what kind of class balance woes we are going to be put through with the constant introduction of new classes.

Paladin tank? Throw out your Guardian Fighters because they are no longer needed.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Classes, 5 is not even half what is needed for the game to be succesfull...

Also, cant even imagine what kind of class balance woes we are going to be put through with the constant introduction of new classes.

Paladin tank? Throw out your Guardian Fighters because they are no longer needed.

Why would a guardian fighter become useless if there is another tanking option?  Other games manage this.

yea more tank/healing classes the better.. all you need to do is make sure the mechanics are differn't.. like Rift for example numerous choices for each role but each plays differently.. for example tank soul for rogues in Rift are based mostly on avoidance like warriors in Tera.. also for healing mage healing in Rift is based more on doing damage to pull off heals.. more options the better.. nothing is worse than only having one way to play a certain role gets old eventually...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I'll play this game, but they won't get a dime from me until I can play my half-elven archer from my pen and paper days...that's all I want to play :)
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Why would a guardian fighter become useless if there is another tanking option?  Other games manage this.

yea more tank/healing classes the better.. all you need to do is make sure the mechanics are differn't.. like Rift for example numerous choices for each role but each plays differently.. for example tank soul for rogues in Rift are based mostly on avoidance like warriors in Tera.. also for healing mage healing in Rift is based more on doing damage to pull off heals.. more options the better.. nothing is worse than only having one way to play a certain role gets old eventually...

Imagine what it would feel like to level a Warrior to max in Rift only to find out that the only class anyone wants to take as tanks in hard zones and raids is a cleric or rouge tank?  In EQ2 they have 6 tank classes and over the years every single one of them has risen and fallen in favor over the others for difficult content.  It's closer to balanced now after like 8 years of back and forth than I think it's ever been but it took a very long time to get there.

I'm not saying that NW is going to have this issue but it is a risk if they don't approach introducing new classes very carefully. Not that I have really seen anything like the highest tiers of difficult content from EQ2 in Neverwinter anyways.  That kind of content just doesn't get put in new games anymore with the possible exception of Wildstar if it lives up to the hype.

Imagine what it would feel like to level a Warrior to max in Rift only to find out that the only class anyone wants to take as tanks in hard zones and raids is a cleric or rouge tank?  In EQ2 they have 6 tank classes and over the years every single one of them has risen and fallen in favor over the others for difficult content.  It's closer to balanced now after like 8 years of back and forth than I think it's ever been but it took a very long time to get there.

I'm not saying that NW is going to have this issue but it is a risk if they don't approach introducing new classes very carefully. Not that I have really seen anything like the highest tiers of difficult content from EQ2 in Neverwinter anyways.  That kind of content just doesn't get put in new games anymore with the possible exception of Wildstar if it lives up to the hype.

i don't play endgame in themeparks because of that elitist type attitude you see towards min/maxing and such.. but i like the vatriety when leveling and doing open world stuff and PVP.. adds more variety to the game and makes me enjoy it more.. but again endgame raiding and running the same dungeons over and over isn't my style so i don't notice that type of thing you are talking about..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

i don't play endgame in themeparks because of that elitist type attitude you see towards min/maxing and such.. but i like the vatriety when leveling and doing open world stuff and PVP.. adds more variety to the game and makes me enjoy it more.. but again endgame raiding and running the same dungeons over and over isn't my style so i don't notice that type of thing you are talking about..

But isn't Neverwinter exactly that? A dungeon crawler. Just like DDO.

You have a single city hub where you meet other people, form groups and then go out on missions/dungeons?

Originally posted by JeroKane

But isn't Neverwinter exactly that? A dungeon crawler. Just like DDO.

You have a single city hub where you meet other people, form groups and then go out on missions/dungeons?

not really.. you start out at neverwinter but you progress through numerous zones and can meet up with people while out in the zones questing.. the later zones are actually pretty large.. it may feel like a lobby type game at start but it really isn't especially once you hit 30+

• Very_bad_dreamsVery_bad_dreams Member Posts: 10
    Well at least this drove me back to DDO...
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Im looking forward too this game
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

PWE +Cryptic , no thanks, this means $$$$ and dumb ass things to force you to spend money in the money shop, I believe in paying my share, but not to these 2 companies.

Such a shady pair.  Too many doubts where this game will go in time.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by udon Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Classes, 5 is not even half what is needed for the game to be succesfull...
    Yeah, too bad they couldnt even manage getting 5 right.   20 half ass classes would have atleast given the game a bit of variety. Also, cant even imagine what kind of class balance woes we are going to be put through with the constant introduction of new classes. Paladin tank? Throw out your Guardian Fighters because they are no longer needed.

Yeah, but no game made by Cryptic.

Also, other games "manage" it after years of yo-yo balancing but you expect Cryptic, of all MMO developers, to nail perfect role balance right at the start.

A Guardian Fighter isnt going to compete with a Protection Paladin's Prayers, Challenges and teleports.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Entropy14

PWE +Cryptic , no thanks, this means $$$$ and dumb ass things to force you to spend money in the money shop, I believe in paying my share, but not to these 2 companies.

Such a shady pair.  Too many doubts where this game will go in time.

Just be glad it isn't Snail USA

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by quseio
    they have said classes will NOT be monetized im preety sure

That isn't what they do with Champions Online, over half the archetypes are up for sale.  Just like half the ships are up for sale in Star Trek Online.  Neither lets you unlock them through gameplay.  You are sadly mistaken if you think Cryptic isn't going to nickel and dime you.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414

You only get two character slots. While the classes may be free, How are you going to be able to play them?

Chaaching$$$$$$$$

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by HighMarshal

You only get two character slots. While the classes may be free, How are you going to be able to play them?

Chaaching$$$$$$$$

Complain if you want but IMO its still alot better then most F2P models. ie

SOE/EQ2 you have to pay to equip any item thats rare or better.

EA/Bioware/SW:Tor you have to pay for the UI if you want more then just 2 hot bars.

Turbine/DDO you have to pay to open up most of the world and dungeons. You pay for extra stats which in turn makes your characters more powerfull (P2W)

• ChipsalomChipsalom Member UncommonPosts: 10

Theyre not needed now. They're played if/because someone likes their style. If youre playing a guardian fighter solely because you think any instance in the game is undoable without a tank healer and dps, then you haven't been paying attention. Completed 40+ levels with several dozen foundry quests plus storyline/zone related dungeons up to said level range with a party of 4 rogues and 1 CW with arguable less issues than I encountered in many old school trinity based grps.

So, ya..... You're only limited by your own ability to think outside the box. If youre goal is being the "most efficient damage absorber around" then maybe you'll end up being all pissed that you have to trash your GuarFi when the pala comes out of it plays better in that regard. If you are interested in playing a class that you enjoy, then you'll probably wonder what everyone else is crying about. This isn't wow. There aren't heal checks built in, damage checks built in, etc just for no other reason than to ensure that ppl are riding on the rails some devs decided were the necessary set of classes REQUIRED for completion of content. Fine for wow... good for wow. Its managed to string TONS of ppl along through intentionally dragged out content for years now. Look around, plenty of games have been doing it different for a long time, though.

• ChipsalomChipsalom Member UncommonPosts: 10
    lol "force" to spend money... they've been playing the jedi mind trick on you now have they?

Instead you should just let devs slave away and you get everything for free.  What part of "youre the slimeball" do you not understand in that equation you putz?
  • ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

I can tell you that I'll be playing the hell out of this game for one simple thing... and sadly, only one thing: The Foundry.

The "create your own adventure" idea is executed well. Neverwinter's tools feel more empowered than other games that offer similar (EQ2).

NW is not pretty by conventional, modern gamer terms.

It's pretty in that GW1/DDO way, which is a very dated look.

That's not a failing to me... just an observation from playing it.

• kalen41kalen41 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    unfortunately rule set is based on 4E. Anyone whose played D&D before 4E will be greatly disappointed. One of the reasons I got my money back from pledging hero of the north