Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift giveaway on Raptr, is the state of the game really bad?

jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
Last december Raptr hosted a Rift giveaway event that provided Rift standard edition with 1 month game time. this event was initiated to celebrate the launch of Storm Legion. i got myself a free copy of Rift but i played total 7 hours and leveled my trial level 10 toon to level 20(i am very slow player, i like to read quest description and such), that was it. I felt that even after having access to full game it was really not worth the time to grind to get to higher level, it has a few things different than WoW but not enough to keep me playing and more importantly encourage me to pay monthly for it. the game is really good, the class build system is awesome(better than wow imho), graphics is really good(again, better than WoW) but it just kept reminding me of WoW, the more i played it the more i missed WoW, the basic game mechanics was exactly like WOW; meaning exactly like the regular MMORPG out in market these days. I know Rift has it's own fanbase but that was how i felt. Now it is april, not even 6 months passed since the last giveaway and this time Raptr+Trion is giving away 3000 key for Rift base game+storm Legion+30 days game time for free. Which brings me to my question : is the state of the game really that bad? this expansion has only been released for about 6 months and already Trion is giving away free copy. why is that? obviously to get more players and make the game more lively with new players, right? Recently Trion acquired the publishing right of ArcheAge which also makes me wonder if Trion has lost it's interest in Rift and also it is clear that ArcheAge has way more to offer than Rift. So i was just wondering if the condition of this game really that bad.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Comments

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I had a 12 month sub and I let it go because the game really has gone that far south. It's still fun on some level, but most of the greatness of the game is gone at this point. It's become just like every other WoW clone out there, a grindfest to get things done. It really isn't worth the sub anymore and I forsee it going F2P by the end of the year if the devs don't do something drastic to bring people back that will make them want to stay more then a few months or so...
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

No, it's not that bad. That's crazy talk.

Trion have just realised that rapr is a decent place to market the game. I mean.. come on, 3000 more people in an MMO isn't going to change much. If they were desperate for population they'd be giving out at least 100,000 copies of the game, probably more. They are just spreading the exposure the game gets and offering some people the chance to benefit from it.. like any promo..

What you're saying is like saying that when Pizza Hut or Coke Cola or whatever offer free vouchers for stuff they are in some sort of unhealthy business position, which is absurb talk. It's marketing and promos to increase public interest and create more exposure for the game, pure and simple.

In fact, it's the exact opposite of what you are saying. Trion is in such a good position, financially, that they can afford to give away free copies of the game and offer a little fan service. They have money spare for marketing and promotions.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Joreel
    I had a 12 month sub and I let it go because the game really has gone that far south. It's still fun on some level, but most of the greatness of the game is gone at this point. It's become just like every other WoW clone out there, a grindfest to get things done. It really isn't worth the sub anymore and I forsee it going F2P by the end of the year if the devs don't do something drastic to bring people back that will make them want to stay more then a few months or so...

When i was in beta testing of Rift i thought this game had lots of potential and indeed it still does but i think trion has stopped trying. but i believe f2p is bad idea, b2p like TSW will be better for the game. a cash shop with super cool outfit will definitely encourage players to spend cash in cash shop and special subscriber facility that makes gameplay a bit more smooth for subscribers will ensure a moderate number of subscription. over all, b2p with optional subscription and cash shop can really make the game shine. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Vannor

Trion have just realised that rapr is a decent place to market the game. I mean.. come on, 3000 more people in an MMO isn't going to change much. If they were desperate for population they'd be giving out at least 100,000 copies of the game, probably more. They are just spreading the explosure the game gets and offering some people the chance to benefit from it.. like any promo..

What you're saying is like saying that when Pizza Hut or Coke Cola or whatever offer free vouchers for stuff they are in some sort of unhealthy business position, which is absurb talk. It's marketing and promos to increase public interests and create more exposure for the game, pure and simple.

I fact, it's the exact opposite of what you are saying. Trion is in such a good position, financially, that they can afford to give away free copies of the game and offer a little fan service.

That's pretty good explanation. but what was really bothering me last december at the moment giveaway expired was that there were still 2236 keys left out of 3000. that means if it were a advertisement attempt, it kinda failed that time. but let's see what happens this time, they are giving away their latest and 1st ever expansion for free this time, hope it gets picked up more.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Originally posted by Vannor

Trion have just realised that rapr is a decent place to market the game. I mean.. come on, 3000 more people in an MMO isn't going to change much. If they were desperate for population they'd be giving out at least 100,000 copies of the game, probably more. They are just spreading the explosure the game gets and offering some people the chance to benefit from it.. like any promo..

What you're saying is like saying that when Pizza Hut or Coke Cola or whatever offer free vouchers for stuff they are in some sort of unhealthy business position, which is absurb talk. It's marketing and promos to increase public interests and create more exposure for the game, pure and simple.

I fact, it's the exact opposite of what you are saying. Trion is in such a good position, financially, that they can afford to give away free copies of the game and offer a little fan service.

That's pretty good explanation. but what was really bothering me last december at the moment giveaway expired was that there were still 2236 keys left out of 3000. that means if it were a advertisement attempt, it kinda failed that time. but let's see what happens this time, they are giving away their latest and 1st ever expansion for free this time, hope it gets picked up more.

Well Raptr's a funny beast..

Was it a proper free giveaway or did they have to earn a certain amount of rep, be a certain rank on Raptr or log a certain amount of hours playing the original Rift (or some other game) and 'spend' it on the promotion to get the game for free?

If they didn't have to 'earn' the free copy then, yeh, it's strange they didn't shift all the keys.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Over the past year the quality of Trion's output(Storm Legion, Defiance) has dropped significantly and people are taking notice.

When I was playing Rift ST I constantly saw glitches and bugs that have been in the game since Rift launched, new glitches and bugs, exploits and glaring soul/role/spec imbalances.

I let my subscription to Rift run out when it became clear that none of these issues were going to fixed or even addressed.

Storm Legion has not been good for Rift. Updates are taking longer, the updates are smaller in scope and problems as described above are not being fixed.

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Over the past year the quality of Trion's output(Storm Legion, Defiance) has dropped significantly and people are taking notice.

When I was playing Rift ST I constantly saw glitches and bugs that have been in the game since Rift launched, new glitches and bugs, exploits and glaring soul/role/spec imbalances.

I let my subscription to Rift run out when it became clear that none of these issues were going to fixed or even addressed.

Storm Legion has not been good for Rift. Updates are taking longer, the updates are smaller in scope and problems as described above are not being fixed.

Personally I found it to be the opposite for SL, one of the best expansions I have seen in about 20 years of online gaming, alot more bug free than many 'bigger' games/xpacs. There were a few glaring exploits that were slow to be fixed, along with all the fish bots but these were addressed and i've found in general they are quick to fix genuine issues and only  ignore the 'my spec got pwnd in pvp so it must be xploitz/imbalance!' crybabies :)

• philparry80philparry80 Member UncommonPosts: 27

Just claimed these offers on Raptr, now have Storm Legion and 60 days of playtime so will give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks Raptr and Trion! :)

• KaiserPhoenixKaiserPhoenix Member Posts: 59

Storm Legion wasn't developed with the same magic of the original rift.

They bascially made some really big and empty zones, just so they can argue having 2 continents in an expansion.

Drastically reduced the xp gain from instant adventure, placed mobs too far apart so you hardly have much aoe action.

Drastically reduced the token and reputation gain from heroic dungeons compaired to classic, while also inflating heroic item prices to the max.

Made reputation grind from dailies grindy and horrible, compaired to them being annoying but doable in classic.

This expansion screams artificial prolonged grind to keep subs, and i screamed my digital lungs out for this game before and after the expansion for them to not fall back to grind/ to reduce the grind and turn dailies into weeklies with enhanced reputation boosts so people wouldn't burn out/ have more fun with alts etc etc.

it's like they saw my advice, but decided to do the opposite thing everytime.

I am done with this game and which once was one of the best mmorpgs i played turned out to be a shadow of its former self.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I liked Rift, but that was before they nerfed everything in the game and merged the factions. I would rather play WoW for the fact that at least there are 2 factions that fight against each other. In Rift even the guilds are merged.... so now there is no need for factions because they all get a long and play with each other. Totally ruined the story and the emersion in the game. 

Now some of the mechanics in Rift I still love, but they ruined any lore and emersion in the game for me. When I PvP I want to have an enemy, a faction to fight against.... it isn't there in Rift anymore.