Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They turned a great sandbox genre into a Themepark.

Comments

• BrannikBrannik Member Posts: 6
    Hopefully the single player Elder Scrolls Franchise will continue on whether or not this succeeds.   
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Brannik
    Hopefully the single player Elder Scrolls Franchise will continue on whether or not this succeeds.   

Of course it will. This is why Zenimax Online was created by Zenimax Media, the parent company of Bethesda. Two studios working on 2 different games

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    You turning something in to something what is not. Skyrim....Sandbox?? lol we play  for sure different games, how for heaven you can call ES a sandbox??. They did exactly what is only possible to do with this game.
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Do like many true fans have done and go to a fansite forum and post there, hardly any hate and when a hate post crops up the fans quickly shoot the person down and he is promptly banned and made fun of.

Sadly mmorpg.com will never change as they allow the same people to spew vile hatred over and over and over and over and over because they have the fortitude to post hate and negative comments in such a way to skirt the bans here.  Instead of saying the game sucks, they will say it is contrary to some mythical gamestyle or some such crap that basically says the game sucks in the Top Hat and Monocle way.

Excellent post Zed. Hope you stick around. We need more people around here with the ability to see through the sleight of hand to what is really going on. 

I would rather visit a website that allows MMO fans to freely discuss what we're passionate about, regardless of intent, than a website that shuts down anything other than praise. I, for one, am a proud member of the 'cesspool of the MMO community' as its been called and glad that MMORPG.com will never change.

A fair notion by Zed to be honest, but it's difficult to see at what it is targetted at.

There is no sleight of hand involved with the hating and flaming which goes on here, and having complained to the moderators myself on this, I have only seen (I beleive) a single short term ban for person(s) involved. It is of course not directly available information - one may infer at best. However - an apology was forthcoming from the mods on a directly related issue. So to some extent, from my limited experience, they do seem to understand the issue.

But moderation is a really tricky issue which can turn into censorship in a single barely noticed step. All too often a strong rebuttal of an argument, or a strongly stated position is either mistaken for hatred or relabelled as hatred to cynically serve the counter argument. The worst cynics throw in direct personal insults - attacking the person rather than the argument they are making.

I would argue it is at this point that moderation has to step in.

Having a 'debate' as per the accepted definitions of this type of interraction does NOT require that the validity of another persons point of view is acknowledged. It is an all too common assumption that in not doing so, one is insulting those with a contrary opinion, and this tends to solicit direct personal insults from the worst of them. This in turn encourages tit for tat, of which many, inlcuding myself on one occassion, have been culpable.

The world over, debates occur where the validity of an opposing argument is attacked without the owner of the argument taking umbrage - they are after all trying to do the same to the other argument... casting doubts on the ability of the owner of an arguments ability to either understand the opposing position or indeed the ramifications of their own is all part and parcel of it. There are however rules involved on how far you can go.

One may not, in a University, Parliament, or other face to face debating forum call into question the honesty or personal integrity of other persons involved, but one may call inquestion the validity, the accuracy and the relevance of the argument of that person as much as you want.

What the sites referred to have done is to turn the rigour of debate on it's head by reacting to the innability of some people to separate criticism of their position from insults against themselves by jumping on the safe side of the fence.

The inherent limitations of the internet may make this necessary, I am not sure as to the validity of this, but I accept the possibility. In some ways it unfortunately seems an innevitable development.

It is in my opinion, a great shame - insofar as it means difficult subjects and polarised positions will be increasingly shied away from by the more politically correct, seeking to treat everyone as something other than robust adults, capable of taking cricism on the chin without reacting to it as personal.

It is, I would argue, more likley from a mediocrity of debate, that mediocre games will flow more readily.

The internet has anonymous discourse with few, if any consequences. That is not exactly news.

You don't even have to go that far: many people have remarkably different social behaviour when they get behind the wheel of an automobile. Road rage is also not news.

Some sites have more moderation than others. Also not news.

There are some who defend "free speech" above all else. Presumably even they have limits when it comes to racism, homophobia and other types of hate-mongering. At least, I hope so.

Temporary absences from a site are not an indication of bans. There are real life events... even beta weekends. This is also obvious.

Perhaps a better measure of behaving in a way contrary to the rules of a particular site is how often a poster's posts are moderated with edits or deletions? Just a thought...

Although, of course, there are some more skilled at provoking and trolling and some more ready to whine to moderators than others.  Some call that being good at internet. I just call it asshattery.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Do like many true fans have done and go to a fansite forum and post there, hardly any hate and when a hate post crops up the fans quickly shoot the person down and he is promptly banned and made fun of.

Sadly mmorpg.com will never change as they allow the same people to spew vile hatred over and over and over and over and over because they have the fortitude to post hate and negative comments in such a way to skirt the bans here.  Instead of saying the game sucks, they will say it is contrary to some mythical gamestyle or some such crap that basically says the game sucks in the Top Hat and Monocle way.

Yes, yes when you see a point of view you disagree with disregard it and move onto a place where everyone shares your opinion.

What I like most about your post is you're completely oblivious to the fact you're contradicting yourself.... and people agree with you. Wow.

Kthanxbye.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Having a 'debate' as per the accepted definitions of this type of interraction does NOT require that the validity of another persons point of view is acknowledged. It is an all too common assumption that in not doing so, one is insulting those with a contrary opinion, and this tends to solicit direct personal insults from the worst of them. This in turn encourages tit for tat, of which many, inlcuding myself on one occassion, have been culpable.

Your post extends well beyond the scope of this website. When you consider discussion on this site there can be no debate while neither party can accept the validity of the other's position, it only boils down into pointless argument. The point of debate is to change the opposition's mind, that cannot happen if they do not see any validity in their opponent's view.

However, were I to just ignore any validity in the OP's claim and state that my position is the only correct one and that the OP is completely wrong then no debate can happen. He will never change my mind as I know for a fact that I am right. No debate can occur, only a back and forth argument.

I feel that you missed the point here.

I am talking about contrary arguments - not ones with some shared middle ground. Those should, and do get acknowledged. I did not state that validity which does exist should be ignored - in fact, I beleive exactly the opposite.

It is the deliberate ignoring of validity where it exists from the pojnt of view of the oppossing poster which is one problem - and one which commonly leads to (or perhaps flows from...) a desire to be insulting to the other person rather than tackling their argument.

If people DID tackle the argument - it would be far more likely whatever common ground was there would be acknowledged.

This is and has always been my perspective, and one I feel you have not quite understood based on what you have written.

However, as you have tackled the argument and not the individual, kept to a reasoned approach and sought to justify what you have stated, I now have the opportunity to forward OUR debate with some hope of positive resolution.

I wish more people would take the same tack...

Lastly though, I do feel I need to state that debate IS back and forth argument, I would defy anyone to manage to avoid this process in any discussed difference of opinion, however small.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    World of The Elder Scrolls.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by tixylix

world of trollcraft

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

This game is so far from be a WoW clone. Its taken DAoC PvP, Warhammer and Rifts Public quest system, SWToR VO story, EQ open world dungeons and for crafting something between SWG / DAoC / SWToR crafting. Where player gear matters a lot and dropped gear is made even better by crafters. WoW hub questing mixed with GW2 open world questing. So ya... just like WoW lol 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    More like gw2 pvp to be honest. They will probably have some equivelent to daoc renown ranks though. The whole being able to guest in campaigns and transfer campaigns business suggests we are in for gw2 style lobsidedness

The events sound more like gw2 than war / rift too.

I think the quests will work more like tsw than like swtor or wow. Personally I think this is ok, better than hub based, but I would prefer them to work like tes.

The crafting sounds like a mix between daoc and tes (which is a good thing, crafting should be important)
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

This game is so far from be a WoW clone. Its taken DAoC PvP, Warhammer and Rifts Public quest system, SWToR VO story, EQ open world dungeons and for crafting something between SWG / DAoC / SWToR crafting. Where player gear matters a lot and dropped gear is made even better by crafters. WoW hub questing mixed with GW2 open world questing. So ya... just like WoW lol 

It's sad that your entire defence just makes it sound like a generic copycat MMO.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

I don't think you can call it a wow clone though.

Rift is a wow clone, swtor is a wow clone, wildstar sounds like a wow clone, then you have numerous f2p games like perfect world.

But people take this wow clone stuff too far. I've seen people claiming the likes of gw2, war and tsw are wow clones when they plainly aren't.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Not a sandbox but it had a crap ton of freedom unlike this game will have. That will be the deal breaker for many and also having pvp is a bad idea since the ip is based of exploration, loot  and immersion.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    More like gw2 pvp to be honest. They will probably have some equivelent to daoc renown ranks though. The whole being able to guest in campaigns and transfer campaigns business suggests we are in for gw2 style lobsidednessThe events sound more like gw2 than war / rift too.I think the quests will work more like tsw than like swtor or wow. Personally I think this is ok, better than hub based, but I would prefer them to work like tes.The crafting sounds like a mix between daoc and tes (which is a good thing, crafting should be important)

well, in GW2 you can switch to the server that is the best in wvwvw IIANM.

from reading about TESO pvp, it seems like unless you join a large successful guild, you wont have much of a choice on what campaign you join, even if you switch campaigns.

campaigns are appointed to you but its not totally clear if you get to pick a new campaign or if a new one is assigned to you, if you choose to switch.

in theory, you are already in a campaign with your friends and guild, so i don't really see them allowing you to pick a new campaign.

it will more than likely be assigned to you, at least i hope lol

also, i can see huge mega guilds being formed in each faction just so everyone can get in the same campaigns, unless there is some way to prevent that?

people complain about the megaserver but to me its something that we must see in action, there is just too many variables that we don't know about.

Originally posted by Normandy7
    Not a sandbox but it had a crap ton of freedom unlike this game will have. That will be the deal breaker for many and also having pvp is a bad idea since the ip is based of exploration, loot  and immersion.

you wont really know how much freedom it has until you actually play it or more info is released about it.

IMO just because you cant go to the enemy lands until you are 50 doesn't mean it will lack so much freedom that it will break the game.

if the areas are huge with lots of content and places to explore, i don't see it as an issue for most.

you can still go off and do whatever you want to and stumble upon quests, as the devs have confirmed that you can.

but it remains to be seen just how much of that there is and how important the main story is with the development of your character.

need more information before any of us can honestly make that determination.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by nilden

It's sad that your entire defence just makes it sound like a generic copycat MMO.

Name a truly original idea in a new MMO that hasn't copied itself from a previous game. When it comes down to game systems, you'll find that most great ingenuity in the MMO genre comes from different takes on similar ideas. That's not to say that it's impossible to come up with something completely original, but that's going to be a rare occurence in any established artform.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by baphamet

More like gw2 pvp to be honest. They will probably have some equivelent to daoc renown ranks though. The whole being able to guest in campaigns and transfer campaigns business suggests we are in for gw2 style lobsidednessThe events sound more like gw2 than war / rift too.I think the quests will work more like tsw than like swtor or wow. Personally I think this is ok, better than hub based, but I would prefer them to work like tes.The crafting sounds like a mix between daoc and tes (which is a good thing, crafting should be important)

well, in GW2 you can switch to the server that is the best in wvwvw IIANM.

from reading about TESO pvp, it seems like unless you join a large successful guild, you wont have much of a choice on what campaign you join, even if you switch campaigns.

campaigns are appointed to you but its not totally clear if you get to pick a new campaign or if a new one is assigned to you, if you choose to switch.

in theory, you are already in a campaign with your friends and guild, so i don't really see them allowing you to pick a new campaign.

it will more than likely be assigned to you, at least i hope lol

also, i can see huge mega guilds being formed in each faction just so everyone can get in the same campaigns, unless there is some way to prevent that?

people complain about the megaserver but to me its something that we must see in action, there is just too many variables that we don't know about.

You can switch in GW2 but it will cost ou. The more populated the server, the more it will cost. Most high population servers play against each other in WvWvW.

Originally posted by botrytis
     You can switch in GW2 but it will cost ou. The more populated the server, the more it will cost. Most high population servers play against each other in WvWvW.

i am guessing that is how campaigns will be too, hopefully they put the best guilds against each other so it forms meaningful rivalries.

i just don't think you will be able to pick a campaign. if anything, people will join successful guilds and join their campaigns.

which is why i think mega guilds will be common in this game, unless they have something in mind to prevent that.

Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by nilden

Name a truly original idea in a new MMO that hasn't copied itself from a previous game. When it comes down to game systems, you'll find that most great ingenuity in the MMO genre comes from different takes on similar ideas. That's not to say that it's impossible to come up with something completely original, but that's going to be a rare occurence in any established artform.

This is to true of every video game. Look at FPS, how different are they? Little things here and there but when something cool new is added, its not long till a large % of new shooters have the feature as well. MMOs have followed that. Like yelling WTS for hours on end and then SWG gave us global action houses. Then all MMOs had them. WoW gave us quest hubs to level with... well we know that outcome. DAoC gave us battlegrounds and then WoW and almost every MMO after that. There is nothing new under the sun. Sinse EQ1 made MMOing big, no MMO has been unique and EQ1 was a clone by all accounts lol

i am guessing that is how campaigns will be too, hopefully they put the best guilds against each other so it forms meaningful rivalries.

i just don't think you will be able to pick a campaign. if anything, people will join successful guilds and join their campaigns.

which is why i think mega guilds will be common in this game, unless they have something in mind to prevent that.

Devs said that switching campaigns well be as hard to do as switching servers in other games. It wont be common. That being said, that wont stop the MMO hoppers that want to cash in on easy wins. Myself I will look for a balanced conflict where each side is somewhat equal. I like my fight to be a fight and wins to feel like I earned something.

Campaigns have size limits and presumably guilds will want to have all of their members in a campaign... I wonder what the implications are for recruiting new members after the first week when all the campaigns will already be "full."

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Daoc battlegrounds aren't the same concept as wow battlegrounds they just share the same name.

Daoc bgs are persistent zones for training for endgame pvp. They aren't instanced matches.
    I really hope they don't match campaigns, it sucks in gw2, there's no long term rivalry.
    I really hope they don't match campaigns, it sucks in gw2, there's no long term rivalry.

Everything points to not following GW2 model. If they went with 2 week matches I would lose a little intrest.