Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trial in DF:UW?

2»

Comments

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

There is no trial.

They wont let you see how crap this game is, so they entice you to buy it and regret it later.

Wish I could turn back time and save those 29 euros.

Precisely. They did exactly the same thing with the first Darkfall.

They won't make a trial before a long time, all they hope is that some people give in and buy the game before they are able to see how crappy it is.

It's not crap, it's just very very different from your favourite game, GW2.

GW2 and DFUW are two games at the very opposite ends of the spectrum.

DFUW is PvP-orientated, GW2 is PvE orientated.

DFUW requires crafting, GW2 doesn't.

DFUW is all on 1 server, depending on  whether you live in the EU/US. GW2 has many many different servers.

DFUW is practically first-person perspective, GW2 is viewed from a view point 20 meters above the avatar.

DFUW has no quests - you set your own objectives. GW2 is a themepark. 

Do you see what I mean?

Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

There is no trial.

They wont let you see how crap this game is, so they entice you to buy it and regret it later.

Wish I could turn back time and save those 29 euros.

Precisely. They did exactly the same thing with the first Darkfall.

They won't make a trial before a long time, all they hope is that some people give in and buy the game before they are able to see how crappy it is.

It's not crap, it's just very very different from your favourite game, GW2.

GW2 and DFUW are two games at the very opposite ends of the spectrum.

DFUW is PvP-orientated, GW2 is PvE orientated.

DFUW requires crafting, GW2 doesn't.

DFUW is all on 1 server, depending on  whether you live in the EU/US. GW2 has many many different servers.

DFUW is practically first-person perspective, GW2 is viewed from a view point 20 meters above the avatar.

DFUW has no quests - you set your own objectives. GW2 is a themepark. 

Do you see what I mean?

And I was playing MMORPGs before many people posting here even knew computers and Internet existed. I was playing Ultima Online during the beta, 17+ years ago. I'm not stuck in "themepark", actually I'm still waiting for a sandbox game as good as UO with modern technology.

You see what I mean?

I won't praise every single non-themepark MMO just because it's not a themepark, like some here seem to do. I know to make the difference between a crappy attempt at something and a good game. And this game is poor on almost every aspects, from performance to polish and content, and of course developer incompetence. It's not a themepark, it's not a sandbox (a game without the sand and without the tools to shape it isn't a sandbox), it's just a gankfest. Actually, the first Darkfall may even have been better.

I think the problem here is what people define as a 'sandbox'.

The truest sandbox I have ever come across is Minecraft - where you can build any structure you like any where you like. The cubes are the grains of sand.

There are Minecraft servers - have you tried them?

Games like Eve and DFUW are not really 'sandboxes' - this is an unforunate phrase that the Eve marketing team thought up to differentiate their product in the market.

A more accurate term for Eve and Darkfall should be 'simulator'. 

So, what I'm saying is that you might find satisfaction with a Minecraft server. But you'd have to chose the right server for you because they are all different.

I play Minecraft, but it's not a MMORPG, not even remotely close. I don't even understand how you can suggest it as a substitute to a MMORPG.

And EvE is a 1000x better game than Darkfall will ever be. EvE is a sandbox. EvE's developers aren't arrogant amateurs trying to scam customers with an unfinished and bugged game. Darkfall, both versions, is a wannabee sandbox without sand and without the box. A PvP gankfest with some MMO features added to it is not automatically a sandbox, and even less a good one.

I thought you might play Minecraft !

I think it could play like an MMORPG - depending on the server. 

For example, if you used a PvP Minecraft server, you have the option of being a lone wolf and avoiding everyone while exploring. Alternatively, you could join a group - I suspect you would end up playing a role within that team. Hence MMORPG.

Eve is a completely different sort of simulator compared to DFUW. Personally, I prefer DFUW to Eve at the moment because I like the scenary of DFUW and I can identify more with my avatar - a person rather than a ship.

Darkfall seems like a finished enough game for my enjoyment.

I can undertand why you would fall for the charms of CCP - they have a superb PR / marketing team. The CSM and videos such as 'The Butterfly Effect' (Do you remember the punchline - "some people call it chaos theory...we call it the sandbox") are great PR.  For example, you truly do believe that Eve really is a sandbox! But if you really think about it, it isn't - it's a simulator.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Darkfall 1 had a trial.

It required payment.  You had to pay for a trial of Darkfall.

Stay away from this game and anything Aventurine touches.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by Toodles
    if a game in his age in the genre isn't offering a free trial, it's because it sucks.

That's not entirely true.  It can be because letting free trial players in would cause overloaded servers.  But most of the time yea, it's because it sucks and they want to milk unsuspecting customers of money.  Darkfall isn't exactly overflowing with players, so.....

I will only add one prediction before I leave this thread, Mors - you're going to feel very lonely here soon. If your overly positive posts with a lot of exagerations about the quality of the game make people here actually buy the game, the "backdraft" onces they notice they got screwed is going to be pretty bad.

Good luck.

Actually, I'm usually fantastically jaded and skeptical.

I hate games that have an end game, because I feel there should always be something new to explore.

However, I think it would take a long time to explore Darkfall.

Originally posted by NasherUK
    Originally posted by Toodles
    if a game in his age in the genre isn't offering a free trial, it's because it sucks.

That's not entirely true.  It can be because letting free trial players in would cause overloaded servers.  But most of the time yea, it's because it sucks and they want to milk unsuspecting customers of money.  Darkfall isn't exactly overflowing with players, so.....

The starter areas are so full at peak times that it's hard to find a single tree to farm.

If there was a free trial, it might get exploited by gold-sellers.

So having free trials would not be entirely problem free.

• Gabriel-KnightGabriel-Knight Member UncommonPosts: 89

I just went to the official forums, it seems that there's some threads about this same issue.

Who knows, maybe they add a trial soon, let's wait and see.

In the meantime, i accept any accounts of people raging like kids who don't play anymore, to taste the game a little. ^^

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Trials got abused by gold spammers and farmers in 1.0...and back then we were able to push them out of tower range and gank them...cant really do that now with safe zones.

I dont want trials again.

If you like full loot pvp sandbox games youll love this game.  Thats all the trial you need lol.

Actually, go play Mortal online for free.  Its like that game but with a working and fun combat system and people actually playing...and more than a few pve mobs to kill.