Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Defiance: Review in Progress #4

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week wraps up our four week Review in Progress for Trion Worlds' Defiance, with our final score to come next week. Find out where we are in the game and check our impressions against your own before heading to the comments to discuss the game.

This is the first week in Defiance where I’m no longer trying to explore the game’s feature set.  Instead, I’m just playing it like I would any other MMO.  I run missions, try to complete pursuits, stop and do the random objectives that litter the map, and occasionally hop into some of the PVP.  The Shadow War, oddly enough, doesn't seem to pop as often as I wish it would.  It’s easily the game’s best PVP mode, but it’s not as quick and easy to earn XP and scrip when compared to the standard match-made PVP.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Defiance: Review In Progress #4.

Defiance is capable of pretty vistas, despite muddy textures.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I just got off the Def. Forums and was discussing the games mechanics and hitbox and how inacurate it is.

I just feel that its no secret they want sFPS playerbase and borderland fanbase to play their game defiance- but as of now the hit box and mechanics of shooting is so gimpish.  not acurate.

when you see mobs shooting through walls, rocks , and trucks and u try ur darnest to get a good spot for cover and snipe and a mob miles away is hitting you w/o reloading time-just feel like-ill say it again and 80's arcade game. badly developed.

becouse i enjoy the arkfalls and missions and style  of the game i try n 'ignore' these faults- but when a non fps gamer (me)  notices these things(coming from playing borderlands2) you know its a bad thing.

and dont get me started on pvp matches-they have nothing on firefall (iam actually glad FF is taking their time now- i understand completely!!! now)

this game needs major polishing now that they met the tv series launch, lets see if Trion can put their '150 devs' on making defiance an outstanding game it could be! on PC anyways..

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Bill, the original reason for removing the mission was some continuity. They wanted the game to move forward while the show does, but it's hard to do that when Nolan and Irisa are still sitting around in Mt. Tam while they're also doing stuff in Defiance.

I'm happy they'll bring them back for people who missed them (I'm thinking perhaps the re-runs).

Also when you're queing for Shadow War, the area that you're queing makes a difference. If you queue in San Francisco, you'll do a SF Shadow War.  If you queue in Medara or Sausalito, you'll do one of those.  So if you're having time getting one to pop, try another area.

I hope the final review doesn't bash the game for it's lack of "standard" MMO things because Defiance isn't a "standard MMO."  I hope you rate it fairly on what it is, what it plans to be and how much fun it is and not some pre-concieved notion about it not being like every other MMO or Shooter on the market.

Originally posted by orbitxo

when you see mobs shooting through walls, rocks , and trucks and u try ur darnest to get a good spot for cover and snipe and a mob miles away is hitting you w/o reloading time-just feel like-ill say it again and 80's arcade game. badly developed.

If you see NPCs doing that, fill out bug reports because those are bugs. NPCs should be stopping to reload and even eventually run out of ammo.

The NPCs shooting through cover was a bug that existed long back in Beta 2 and has been fixed for a long time. I haven't heard a single person I know talk about it, or experienced it myself.  The last time it happened was some odd relation between upgrading a beta client without doing a fresh re-install (where a fresh-reinstall fixed it).  Not saying that's the case here, I just don't experience that problem.

Originally posted by Dakirn

I haven't heard a single person I know talk about it, or experienced it myself.  The last time it happened was some odd relation between upgrading a beta client without doing a fresh re-install (where a fresh-reinstall fixed it).  Not saying that's the case here, I just don't experience that problem.

go check the game forums friend.

'I’m actually really enjoying the pursuits and exploration of the Bay Area in Defiance.  I’m just not looking forward to when I’ve uncovered every inch and seen all the content.  If Defiance is going to keep me interested for the long term, it needs to have a decent stream of content additions, something to rival Guild Wars 2 or Rift in terms of pacing.' -Bill Murphy

xcly! I already have, on my second character starting missions again and now noticing its faults instead of the game.

unlike borderlands2 or GW2  i have a few different  characters and everytime i play them the game feels different and fresh!

I haven't heard a single person I know talk about it, or experienced it myself.  The last time it happened was some odd relation between upgrading a beta client without doing a fresh re-install (where a fresh-reinstall fixed it).  Not saying that's the case here, I just don't experience that problem.

I did.. even tried searching.  There is an odd reference here and there, most from a couple days after launch when there were server issues.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just don't think it's as rampant as you make it out to be.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    It will got knocked for missing basic mmo components that are a given and deemed necessary.
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I enjoy this game, but not as an MMO. But more to do with the buy to play aspect and being able to just log in with a few friends and play for a couple of hours whenever I please. Of course, new content will always draw me back in and play.

As for the MMO aspect of the game, it's in the right genre, but I feel some people whom are accustomed to how MMO's are typically made these days (including the F2P ones) will find something lacking in this game. 

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    I'm still playing the game and still having fun with it.  Shooters are way down my list of favorite genres but I know when I log into Defiance I'm going to have an hour or two of ripping apart mobs and the countryside as well.  This isn't an MMO that I strap myself in for several hours and quest-grind or look to chat with guildies into the wee hours which is one of the reasons why it straddles an odd place in the genre.  I hope they get the kinks out, especially beefing up their social aspects, so the game can flourish over the longterm.  Either way, I feel I've gotten my money's worth and am having a good time.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

I realy hope trion can mold this game into a sucsess, glad to here the potential is there.

Most companies prolly would have totally failed @ making an mmo to conincide with a tv show premier. (Go Trion!)

As for the show, the pilot was alot of charaecter introduction but :

" looked cheap even by basic cable standards"

idk i watched it in 1920x1200 and i though it looked good, granted i dont even have cable i just buy the episodes on amazon till they show up on netflix but still, i though the show had  unique visual style that i liked. I know you refered to the battle scene specificaly but just my 2cents.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

I did.. even tried searching.  There is an odd reference here and there, most from a couple days after launch when there were server issues.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just don't think it's as rampant as you make it out to be.

Yeah i think you might want to update or re-install most websites (even fps ones) are giving it high marks for solid shooter mechanics, could be a bug you encountered.

Yeah i think you might want to update or re-install most websites (even fps ones) are giving it high marks for solid shooter mechanics, could be a bug you encountered.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Thank God I am not the only one who found the pilot horribly cliched and unsubtle with a dreadful tacked-on battle sequence.  I was beginning to think I was going mad.  
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

They have been deleting a hell lot of threads over the past two weeks. Especially about skills resetting, hacking, dissapearing items and the sort.

There are currently three threads active about hacking alone and I am actually suprised they haven't been deleted yet... like all the others.

I guess TRION has finally come to their senses that the harder you try to wipe issues under the rug, the more threads people start creating about it. So hopefully they stop with the Gestappo bullsh*t and leave the threads alone and come with an actual response and plan to do something about all the current problems.

• OceanhawkOceanhawk Member UncommonPosts: 27
    THe hacking in this game is completely out of control. It is now nearly impossile to go anywhere in game without at least one knothead 1 shotting every mob in teh area. Kinda makes the game the opposite of fun.
  • OceanhawkOceanhawk Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Bookah

Please show me a real game review thaty gave Defiance "High Marks" for anything. This game is fun but not because it has good shooting mechanics. THe problems this game currently has outnumber the good points which is strange because I'm not sure why I continue to play it, but I do. Although since hacking has now reached epidemic proportions I'm afraid I am very close to uninstalling.

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

Bought the game earlier today and have played for about 1½ hour now. I may have missed something, but it appears that the camera is locked, I really wish that I could zoom out just a little more or go 1st person. The game doesn't feel like 3rd person or 1st person for that matter, but is something in between that just doesn't work well for me (my character takes up way too much of the screen).

I really don't like the UI either - it actually took me several minutes just to figure out how to log out and how to look at my inventory. The game tutorial could've been a lot better too, I had (still have) a hard time figuring out social interactions like chatting and grouping. The story so far seems uninteresting and does a very bad job at drawing me into the game and its lore. I've also noticed a few bugs already like the game "timed out" 3 times when I tried to make my character.

Graphics are pretty decent from what I've seen. I did notice a few really bad textures here and there, but nothing that I couldn't look past. I liked the music as well.

I like Trion a lot and I'm still subbed to Rift, but Defiance made a pretty bad first impression. I'll give it one more go tomorrow, when I have more time, but I have a feeling that nothing will change. I honestly regret buying the game right now, if I had had a chance to try it first, I definitely wouldn't have bought it.

• vbatheryvbathery Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I don't see why people don't see this game as a scam. You got to pay $60 for the game then they want you to pay $39.99 for a season pass witch is bs so when the season ends do you have to wait a hole year for the TV show to get a new season before you see a new update. Oh syfy like to split the season up between two years so they going to make you pay twice for a season pass for the same season.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by vbathery
    I don't see why people don't see this game as a scam. You got to pay $60 for the game then they want you to pay $39.99 for a season pass witch is bs so when the season ends do you have to wait a hole year for the TV show to get a new season before you see a new update. Oh syfy like to split the season up between two years so they going to make you pay twice for a season pass for the same season.

No need to make you pay twice for the "same season". There are technically 4 seasons in a year, so there could well be 4 season passes in a year too... :D

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by Oceanhawk
    THe hacking in this game is completely out of control. It is now nearly impossile to go anywhere in game without at least one knothead 1 shotting every mob in teh area. Kinda makes the game the opposite of fun.

I ran into this last night during a major arkfall. Funny thing is, I still beat the hacker in the damage/kills ranking at the conclusion of the arkfall. But yeah, it's rather annoying.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It's still fun to play.  Which for a shooter is amazing for me.  I usually play through the campaign on shooters, then play like a month of multiplayer, before I get totally bored with a shooter.  This game hasn't lost any of it's luster on me yet.
    Originally posted by Oceanhawk

thats sad to hear.
     hacking on consoles or PC?..im a pc player havent encountered any faults of hacking but then again iam staying from the pvp i tried it and there are other games out there that do alot better pvp.

Trion has been quiet these past few days in forums and announcements -my only guess they are reevaluating the masses concerns to comeback with a statement and solutions. give em a few days to readjust .

its a kewl game-but needs major tweaks. games arent built in a day.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    the weapon damage is client side (insane levels of stupidity by Trion), and this has resulted in a lot of hacks.  
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    i think it would be better if they removed missions that tie into the story. It makes the world more immersive. Perhaps instead they could add them to a 'memory archive' so you play them through as if they were remembered.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

I'm having a great time in Defiance and I'm playing it almost entirely solo, besides que'ing and arkfalls. I would of liked a bit more of an MMO feel (ui, chat, etc.) and simply a larger world and longer storyline.

I look forward to more episodes of the show and more updates to the game.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ethanlallaethanlalla Member UncommonPosts: 105
    They should just turn the people from the show into holograms after the show airs, keep em there of course but leave a lil note that its old content
    Playing or interested in playing SWTOR? Use my referral link here and we will both get rewards! Including a week of game time for you, if you are a preferred status player! Click here for more info!