Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm trying to understand the appeal of this game

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I watched a few videos and the Total Biscuits play and after watching I'm trying to understand why anyone playing current available MMOs anyone would jump into this.

A) First off, in the Total Buscuit Video, he asked how would you differentiate this from WOW. The representative's only responses were:

1) The Combat

2) The Changing Builds

If that is the best answer he could give,  this game is not the holy grail these forums are making it out to be. A combat only focus didn't work for TERA and though I think GW2 is a good game, changing builds doesn't make it the worlds best game either. I stopped at end level and had no desire to continue playing.

B) The graphics/ artistry is going to turn off anyone who prefers more realism such as AOC, GW2, Rift, and hopefully Elder Scrolls Online once people realize the leaked video will not look as graphically unappealing as what that idiot playing showed by turning down all of the graphics settings. This to me looks like an Ipad Game. Kids will like it though. Yes, I believe graphics do matter in todays age. I have a powerful computer and I want something that looks nice. If people want to hang onto a 7 year old computer with a GT 7800 thats your problem.

C) Same issue that plagues other games. Mobs just stand around doing nothing. Liveliness of the world will depend on players. A good modern MMO must have a world that feels alive and that includes the NPCs.

D) Despite the ability to explore, me being an explorer, it doesn't look like a pretty enough world where I would want to.

So am I missing something that is a shocker feature  that says, wow, this is awesome, I haven't seen this in other MMOs, let me jump to this game? Anyone?

[Mod Edit:  Edited Title] OK fine. I admit it was provacative lol

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by keithian

I watched a few videos and the Total Biscuits play and after watching I'm trying to understand why anyone playing current available MMOs anyone would jump into this.

A) First off, in the Total Buscuit Video, he asked how would you differentiate this from WOW. The representative's only responses were:

1) The Combat

2) The Changing Builds

If that is the best answer he could give,  this game is not the holy grail these forums are making it out to be. A combat only focus didn't work for TERA and though I think GW2 is a good game, changing builds doesn't make it the worlds best game either. I stopped at end level and had no desire to continue playing.

B) The graphics/ artistry is going to turn off anyone who prefers more realism such as AOC, GW2, Rift, and hopefully Elder Scrolls Online once people realize the leaked video will not look as graphically unappealing as what that idiot playing showed by turning down all of the graphics settings. This to me looks like an Ipad Game. Kids will like it though. Yes, I believe graphics do matter in todays age. I have a powerful computer and I want something that looks nice. If people want to hang onto a 7 year old computer with a GT 7800 thats your problem.

C) Same issue that plagues other games. Mobs just stand around doing nothing. Liveliness of the world will depend on players. A good modern MMO must have a world that feels alive and that includes the NPCs.

D) Despite the ability to explore, me being an explorer, it doesn't look like a pretty enough world where I would want to.

So am I missing something that is a shocker feature  that says, wow, this is awesome, I haven't seen this in other MMOs, let me jump to this game? Anyone?

There are no shocker features, but definitely some different ones, although from what you've written it seems clear you probably should pass on this one.

At the top (post formatting placement, not mine) is a video that might help answer your questions.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

1) The Combat

2) The Changing Builds

There are no shocker features, but definitely some different ones, although from what you've written it seems clear you probably should pass on this one.

At the top (post formatting placement, not mine) is a video that might help answer your questions.

Thank you. I did watch the video but it sounded like when my nieces come over and they plop in front of the television on a Sat morning something they would watch after Sponge Bob. By the way, you have A LOT of posts lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    new game, new content, focuses on pve, its hard to believe but they dont make pve mmorpgs anymore, even if most succesfull mmorpgs are all pve based,
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Smikis
    new game, new content, focuses on pve, its hard to believe but they dont make pve mmorpgs anymore, even if most succesfull mmorpgs are all pve based,

I didn't understand your post. Are you saying what makes this game appealing is that it is PVE focused when the poster above me showed a video of some of the attractive PVP aspects?

And to you, a member since 04, thats actually cool to be a member that long :-) lol

There Is Always Hope!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Smikis

really?

Most MMORPGS released are geared towards PVE and have some PVP tagged on..

I can only really think of two main steam MMOs that are or where PVE only on release or after.. EQ2 and vanguard. tho i have probally forgot a few..  but anyway there are very few dedicated PVP mmorpgs..

Any MMORPG that has been really sucesfull has had both PVE and PVP but mainly PVE..

When it comes to wildstar i agree with the OP..

• MellowiciousMellowicious Member Posts: 11

Some of us don't want anything new. Wildstar takes what works and improves on that, that's good enough for me. I was waiting for something new as well and tought gw2 would be 'it', but I was wrong, so I gave up and will stick to games that are so called 'wow clones' until I am proven wrong. Wildstar for me has all the features I would want in a mmo (raids, arena's, bgs, housing etc.). 

About the graphics, I don't mind them. They're cartoony and funny and it just sorta works for the game. Although I do prefer more realistic graphics, I do get why they went with this route. The graphics won't get outdated as soon and some people just prefer cartoony graphics. It's also less requiring, so you won't be needing the latest hardware.

But you obviously don't like the game and are just hating on it from what I have read, so why bother with this thread? You're not trying to understand anything. We gave you reasons, but you don't care.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't understand the appeal to someone who isn't already quite happily playing wow.
    I don't think the graphics will work against it though, a good chunk if people like cartoony graphics, look at wow, swtor & gw2, 3 of the most played mmos today and all 3 are cartoony. Then look at lol, dota2, minecraft etc.. you don't need ultra realistic graphics at all.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Wildstar's (and WoW's) graphics have nothing wrong. I dont mean the lack of poligons vanilla wow content has. I mean the colorful and cartoony visuals. Im going to answer to the title of this thread only. Just because im older than 17 it doesnt mean i have to play games with realistic graphics. I love realistic visuals in single player games. When it comes to mmos give me cartoony and colors no matter what theme is behind the mmo (steampunk, fantasy, dark fantasy, sci-fi, etc). Even TSW's lovecraftian theme could have looked awesome with a more cartoony art style in my opinion (Tera and Aion are cartoony and look how awesome they look).

This is all my opinion but i do believe graphics have nothing to do with age. If the content is made for children then yes. The art style doesnt necessarily mean the game is meant for kids or adults. You play what appeals to your taste and that includes visuals, no just gameplay.

I would love to play Wildstar but it will only happen if its Buy to play. I only pay sub sometimes in WoW because i love the warcraft Lore. So im not looking forward to pay a sub for a wildstar lore that so far hasnt interested me a single bit, but i do like the graphics very much.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    So OP you are saying that you as an adult don't understand how another adult might have a different perspective/opinion on a given topic/subject matter than you?  The Borg is looking for people such as yourself.
  • MrSchnuffiMrSchnuffi Member Posts: 25

Hmm, I'm a 35 year old AoC-Fanboy (or Fanman if you like^^) and I'm somehow looking forward to Wildstar. I have nothing against a cartoonish look. The main reason I don't play WoW is the lack of any challenging content but maybe some hardmode raids. The main reason I don't play Rift is this pathetic and embarrassing story (the intro movie of Rift was really too ridiculoues) and some other things (gcd was too long and rift events just suck).

My hopes for Wildstar are a funny setting (nothing too serious with some good jokes), challenging PvE-content, fast playstyle and interessting class- and build mechanics. Pretty much the same I enjoy in AoC. Of course AoC has a really cool brutal and dark setting and a harsh look and feel too, very much to my liking, but actual gameplay is much more important than lore, graphics and brutality (or the lack of).

If Wildstar can deliver I hopefully will figure out during the beta^^.

The only fear I have concerns community. Somehow I prefer hanging out with people of my age (+/- 10 years)

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

From someone who actually prefers realism (to an extent) over cartoonish engines I actually lover the style of Wildstar.  If they can keep the humor like they have in the trailers then it will be great n perfect.  It actually reminds of Space Quest and Kings Quest games.

And artistry I think is very well done, unlike "realism" MMOs which are very uninspireded and is the same generic models.  At least with Wildstar they are adding some unique feel.  More so than most MMOs imo.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I don't think the graphics will work against it though, a good chunk if people like cartoony graphics, look at wow, swtor & gw2, 3 of the most played mmos today and all 3 are cartoony. Then look at lol, dota2, minecraft etc.. you don't need ultra realistic graphics at all.

Guild wars 2's art design isn't cartoony at all.

compare this to wild star wow ro swtor:

not cartoony.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    you mean over 12

It's less cartoony, but its still cartoony.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

"over the age of 17" ..... really?

THAT's your "hey look, i am old!" line?

okai :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    ohh look another "wildstar is wow clone" thread. we never get tired of this.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Guild wars 2's art design isn't cartoony at all.

compare this to wild star wow ro swtor:

not cartoony.

Yeah.

GW2's graphics aren't what I would call 'cartoonish'.

Stylized? Yes. Definitely.

Painterly? Yep.

Cartoonish? No way.

I've notice that many people who throw around terms like "cartoonish" seem to judge a game's art style by the shallowest possible criteria, which seems to be: "It's colorful, therefor, cartoonish". These people should look around at photos of some of the places on this very planet they live on. They'd be amazed to find places that are as colorful, if not more colorful than any cartoon they've seen.

I mean I've seen people argue that GW2's graphics "look like they're ripped straight out of WoW". Excuse me, but huh?

As for Wildstar. I love the graphics/animation style. I think it's great that they're going with this style. I love realistic graphics, but then I also enjoy really simplistic, colorful and cartoonish graphics as well. If they're well done, then I thoroughly enjoy it. And I'm well over 17 years old.

Judging by the amount of projection in their posts, the OP seems to have hang-ups with "what the games they play look like". The whole "no one over 17 years old" thing seems like a way to demean others who do enjoy that style (or are indifferent either way), while placing themself in a different category; the "I'm too cool and grown up to play a game with cartoony graphics" category. The whole tone of the OP's post is needlessly condescending.

It reminds me of people who refused to own a GameCube, even though there were many games on it they wanted to play, purely because "it was too cute looking" and they were afraid their friends would make fun of them for owning one of those, instead of a "cooler" console, like the XBox or PS2 - because they were black and cooler looking.

My opinion? People put way too much personal significance into what they choose to play or not. If the game looks fun, then play it. If people poke fun at you because "it looks cartoony", tell them to shove it.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

I agree with the OP.  The game looks like it just spilled out of a Fisher Price box. It's not the cartoony colorful style that gets me either, it just looks like a Banjo Kazooie game from the 90's to me.  Really low budget.

Having said that though,  graphics arn't everything.  I'm willing to sacrifice some eye candy for a fun game.  I don't see why I have to make that choice in 2013 mind you, I thought the genre would be way past that by now,  but I've played better looking games that were total crap.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

If you look at wild star or wow's characters or world you will find exagerated proportions and angles.

There is no such thing in GW2. It might have adopted a more vivid color palettebut but it aims to be a more "real" representation of the world and its inhabitants.

Wild Star's art design follows its whimsical nature.

And last I checked, adults (some adults) can still appreciate whimsy.

edit: additionally, if you actually zoom in and look at the skin of any guild wars 2 charcter you will actually find skin texture and small imperfections.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

am I missing something that is a shocker feature  that says, wow, this is awesome, I haven't seen this in other MMOs, let me jump to this game? Anyone?

game looks fun to me - thats all i care about

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

The graphics have an almost, Pixar-like charm to them, that I really appreciate.  Realistic graphics are hard to nail down. One of the reason I quit Rift, was that the art-style, just didnt click with me at all.  I prefer things a bit exagerated and stylized.  GW2 was stylized enough to feel right.  AoC, eh, the graphics were good quality, everything just seemed to be green and brown for the most part.

With GW2 I thought I was ready for the trinity to be over, but, I realized I really feel at home as a healer or DPS (tankings a bit to stressful for me).  GW2 dungeons, were difficult, but doable, but, to me, they just weren't FUN.  So I'm looking forward to a return so some of the more tried mechanics.  Not to mention housing is a real big draw for me.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Nadia

am I missing something that is a shocker feature  that says, wow, this is awesome, I haven't seen this in other MMOs, let me jump to this game? Anyone?

game looks fun to me - thats all i care about

same /thread :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Sovrath

If you look at wild star or wow's characters or world you will find exagerated proportions and angles.

There is no such thing in GW2. It might have adopted a more vivid color palettebut but it aims to be a more "real" representation of the world and its inhabitants.

Wild Star's art design follows its whimsical nature.

And last I checked, adults (some adults) can still appreciate whimsy.

edit: additionally, if you actually zoom in and look at the skin of any guild wars 2 charcter you will actually find skin texture and small imperfections.

Put GW2 on medium settings it does start to look very Cartoon Stylized.  But on max settings GW2 doesn't look anything like WoW.  It's really an odd game that changes so much by adjusting the graphics settings a little bit.

OP is not as desperate for something different as many of us.  I really dislike stylized cartoon graphics but I'm so desperate for some different ideas/gameplay in the genre I'm willing to over look the graphics.  Gameplay is infinitely more important than graphics. 

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    It seems to me that you have a bias towards this game due to its graphics albeit not ONLY graphics. The game offers player housing and battles between neighbors(?). Like you said, combat will be different, builds are different, it has a humorous spin on things, I personally like the Ratchet and Clank-esque graphics. Take all that and give me great end-game content, which is what Tera was SEVERELY lacking, and you have yourself an MMO that, to me, is a notch above what is currently out there at the moment. It does sound like this is a game you should pass on though.