Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Review In Progress #1

Comments

• arbacusarbacus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Uzik
    Originally posted by Greymoor
    Originally posted by MMO_Fan

@Badaboom, Greymoor and Uzik:

As the most vocal fans of this game - how many accounts do you own or have access to in game?

Do you think having multiple accounts make the game more fun and makes it worth it?

One account.

I have 2 accounts.  One for PvP/PvE and one for guild crafting.

Anyone who thinks that a 2nd account is some sort of huge advantage is mistaken.  The only places you can semi-AFK harvest are safezones where there are very few available resources, and semi-AFK harvesting outside of the safezones will most likely end with your alt donating resources to someone else.

So the resource gain is pretty negligible.  Most of the time my crafting alt just sits in an NPC city making random things for my clan.

Also, there are currently TONS of crafters in global chat looking for people to give them materials and for them to craft it for you.  A lot are even offering discounts so they can level up their skills.

i was out of the safe zone and never to return except for buying 2 new skills and some reagents once after first 2 days i had no problem semi afk gathering without anyone attacking me it was at monster nodes i woudl get attacked and witnessed many others doing hte same maybe you played in a more crowded part of the map? spent more time in safe zones? i explored 1/3 the entire map and ic an tell you almost every player city had its semi afk gatheres nearby

• MegaD61MegaD61 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by hardicon

a hardcore pvp sandbox with safe zones.  is that a joke.  also what are the hardcore pvpers doing hanging out in safe zones to gather crafting materials since they are so hardcore pvp.  sounds to me like people dont truly want pvp at all times, just when it is convenient.  come on adventurine remove the safe zones,

good article though, fair review I think listing the good with the bad but that part above just kind of stuck out to me.  (no I dont play darkfall and not bashing the game, hope it succeeds and all that, but hardcore pvp game doesnt need safe zones imo)

Dude, I would agree except for the fact that safezones would be a giants 24/7 bloodbath if there were not safe zones.  The safe areas are only around the starting NPC cities.  There are no good monster spanws in them and the resorces are VERY limited with the kind of populatation we got in game.  There is SOOOO much open world PvP going on EVERYWHERE right now.  Me and a group of 3 clannies spent 3 hrs last night just looking for a spawn we could farm in relative peace.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Theres no point of these prereviews if you are going to blindfold yourselves to the obvious shortcomings that any gamer could uncover in 30minutes. Such as, the monumental issue of releasing the half finished game that is Darkfall.
  • UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by arbacus
    Originally posted by Uzik
    Originally posted by Greymoor

As the most vocal fans of this game - how many accounts do you own or have access to in game?

Do you think having multiple accounts make the game more fun and makes it worth it?

One account.

I have 2 accounts.  One for PvP/PvE and one for guild crafting.

Anyone who thinks that a 2nd account is some sort of huge advantage is mistaken.  The only places you can semi-AFK harvest are safezones where there are very few available resources, and semi-AFK harvesting outside of the safezones will most likely end with your alt donating resources to someone else.

So the resource gain is pretty negligible.  Most of the time my crafting alt just sits in an NPC city making random things for my clan.

Also, there are currently TONS of crafters in global chat looking for people to give them materials and for them to craft it for you.  A lot are even offering discounts so they can level up their skills.

i was out of the safe zone and never to return except for buying 2 new skills and some reagents once after first 2 days i had no problem semi afk gathering without anyone attacking me it was at monster nodes i woudl get attacked and witnessed many others doing hte same maybe you played in a more crowded part of the map? spent more time in safe zones? i explored 1/3 the entire map and ic an tell you almost every player city had its semi afk gatheres nearby

But you didn't stop to kill the semi afk harversters and take their resources?

Again, I do not believe a word you say, and no one else should either.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• cyclonite51cyclonite51 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Darkfall: Unholy Wars is a very minor upgrade to DF1. It is still the same open world PVP game with very little else to do besides grind. Melee combat is still terrible, they could have done so much better if they looked at other games like Mount and Blade or Chivlary. The community is the biggest collection of degenerates you will find in any game.
  • GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by cyclonite51
    Darkfall: Unholy Wars is a very minor upgrade to DF1. It is still the same open world PVP game with very little else to do besides grind. Melee combat is still terrible, they could have done so much better if they looked at other games like Mount and Blade or Chivlary. The community is the biggest collection of degenerates you will find in any game.

I just don't even get comments like this, how is DFUW closely similar to the original other than the full loot FPS PvP with conquest?

The engine has had major upgrades

The world is new

There are classes

You advance your character completely differently

The GUI is new

All the abilities are new

Combat is slower and has many different mechanics in place

The graphics are upped compared to DF1.0

The game is far more friendly to new players, safezones, lengthy tutorial, easier to manage GUI

Just about every mechanic is completely different in DFUW.

As for the community, any global chat is full of degenerates you just have to find a good clan to play with! There are many great communities in the game.

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98

The Global Chat on any PvP-centric game are all equally bad.

Darkfall's is no worse than any of them. I found Asheron's Call Darktide to be very similar to Darkfall's Global Chat. 

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • cyclonite51cyclonite51 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    It has improved over DF1 definitely but not enough. For an indie developer with limited funds and resources it is pretty darn good.
  • RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    DF UW best mmorpg

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Congratulations George, you have captured the essence of Darkfall in that one quote:

Darkfall: Unholy Wars, is brilliantly unpredictable.

However, unlike in DF1, you have a choice.

When I can give the game 100% attention, I leave the safe zones and fully immerse myself in it.

When I have other commitments and can give the game 50%, I sit in the trammel zones and look for empty nodes, craft or just bang on easy mobs for the skins.

Having that choice (and the prowess system) are the two clear differentiators between DF1 and 2 and have both been significant improvements on what I already thought is the most immersive MMORPG on the market.

I look forward to your future posts on Darkfall George.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Haters gonna hate, this is the most fun MMO on the market for me, and yes I think its better than DF1.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

it's better than DF1 for sure.

and i think the most underrated part of the game is actually its PVE.  to me the pvp is kind of clunky and i have run into latency problems during my few pvp encounters.  but the mobs are challenging and the crafting feels rewarding, because the items you make are useful (its like eve in this respect).

in my opinion the devs should either really fix the issues facing pvp performance, or else focus more on the pve which actually works well.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Uzik Bro I've seen your vids and all that, your an awesome DF player, and I would just go back and play and not waste time discussing this type of game on this forum the people here simply don't understand.  

See you on the battlefield :D

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    its not that people dont understand, just differnt tastes for different folks, i personally just could not get into it for the life of me i just could not

hallo ~_~

• FlesaurFlesaur Member Posts: 6

Former UO player here, who has spent an awful lot of time in WoW, dabbled in EVE and been looking for a new sandbox/pvp full loot game.

Missed out on DF 1.0 to be honest, so was a little reluctant to spend 39 euros on a new game, whilst committing to a sub.

First impressions are that the game is a lot of fun, although picking your class is important as you'll have one char per account.  Started as a warrior before deleting/re-rolling as a primalist just to fit my play-style.

Graphics etc are pretty fine.  You can look a little 'samey' as other pcs, but I guess thats something that can be expanded on, when resources permit in the future.

Game mechanics are a little odd to those who may have played UO or WoW/Wow Clone in the past.  Doesn't take too long to get used too though.

All in all, quite happy with the money spent, having fun and looking forward to developing a new guild.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

I'm having a blast!

• LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102
    Having a blast here as well, havent played something this good in well since Shadowbane!!

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I can tell you that the advantage to having a resource alt and combat alt is somewhat decent of an advantage *if you solo* because you can semi afk resource if you know where is safe, devote all the prowress to crafting skills, all while you work on the combat character.

Thing is, if just one guy in your clan does this, or is devoted to crafting, that will suffice for all.  Crafting gets spammy, which benefits a soloer because youll have lots of gear to lose and youll get the higher tierd gear faster.  For someone who doesnt solo, its a moot point.

In fact, multi boxing combat is retarded.  Too much to deal with unlike EVE type games where doing so is managable.  You would end up "gimping" the combat characters your not playing by doing this.

I can see two alts, one resource/crafting the other combat as viable, as useful.  Getting in a clan removes and minor need to do this, and you are perfectly able to aquire valuable items to crafters via combat, which can easily become a mutually benefitial exchange to any crafter.  I havent played the new game in a while (will jump back in soon) so im not sure if craftings changed...but in 1.0 crafters would gladly take a loss to preform the crafting and skill it up (not sure if crafting is still skill on use or if it all went prowress based) either way crafting stuff gives dominion (clan ranking and "currency") and should give prowress even if they made the entire game prowress based ( for some reason i thought they kept crafting as it was, skill gains on use)

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Its a really, really good game. Ive never played DF1. Its the type of mmo you will be able to tell only a few hours-days into the game.. its definitely worth the money.

The mechanics of this type of game alone will give it longevity, with even medium support/content. The roles skills and prowess system is extremely large, interesting and fun. And even more schools or whatever they're called will be released in the future.

Crafters are obviously absolutely valued, and will continue to be all because of the direct pvp mechanics of the game. Even gathering is dangerous and feels rewarding imo.

Maybe its just impressive to me because i never played DF1. But the game has tons of details, little stuff that i like. Like craftable killable stealable mounts. Sneaking back to the city with some loot trying to stay as concealed as possible so you dont lose the goodies in your bag and gear on your back and imagine getting jumped shortly before the safezone line and actually winning the fight, taking all his shit and confidently trot back into the city with even more loot than you had in the first place by simply defending yourself!! AWESOME imo.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

If its so hardcore why safezones lol?

Stupid starwars towers in darkfall already annoyed me alot so safezones even worse this ain't a hardcore pvp mmo

Seems lesser version of Darkfall 1

• olpoolpo Member Posts: 2
    fail
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I enjoy playing DFUW, but it should be described as a 'simulation' rather than a 'sandbox'.

Post-MineCraft, people expect a 'sandbox' to be a game where you can build any structure you want.

DFUW's striength is its sense of immersion, real danger, and the excitement that goes with that. So it's more in-keeping with a simulation.

• arbacusarbacus Member UncommonPosts: 41

uzik where did i say i didnt stop to kill harvesters

i killed the ones that were not in alliance guilds but they would often delete their recources so i didnt get much out of it

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

@ people with performance problems

1.) Update drives

2.) Make sure it's not your system

3.) Either try the latest patch (fixed it all for many people) or wait another week for these problems to be ironed out

All launches tend to have performance issues. I really think some of you will miss out on a great game if you were to simply quit now because you've had a couple of issues.