Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Which Payment Model Do You Prefer In Your MMORPG?

12346»

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,316Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Alverant
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Subscription is a dieing revenue model and its been shown time and time again over the last 5 or 6 years that it is a barrier to entry, retards growth, and makes far less money for the game then any of the other models.

Have any hard data to back that up? Seriously. I want to see the data. And how do FtP games last over a time span of say, 8 years?

F2p games have been around since the very beginning of MMO's and before MMORPG.  If the game is fun, they last just fine.

Furcadia, Maplestory etc. Woooooohooooo!

Awesome games for the little ones, but for us here? Who cares.

I agree, not my cup of tea but they do show that f2p has just as much longevity as a p2p and reinforce the point that it's the fun of the game not the payment model that will determine success.

If it's fun and appeals to your audience it will stick around and make money. If not, it eventually goes away.

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon
    my favorite payment model is to forget my wallet and have to do dishes, but that no longer works at any restaraunts either.   : /

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• AlverantAlverant Wheaton, ILPosts: 530Member Uncommon

Subscription is a dieing revenue model and its been shown time and time again over the last 5 or 6 years that it is a barrier to entry, retards growth, and makes far less money for the game then any of the other models.

Have any hard data to back that up? Seriously. I want to see the data. And how do FtP games last over a time span of say, 8 years?

F2p games have been around since the very beginning of MMO's and before MMORPG.  If the game is fun, they last just fine.

But there's no commitment. It means the consumer can try it for a while then leave when it gets bored. What happened to the idea of sticking it out through thick and thin? Where's the fandom? Companies will shift towards making a lot of money right away before the fickle attention of the players go elsewhere.

How many big ftp games have lasted longer than 5 years?

ETA the examples described are small scale games. Can a ftp game be as extensive as some of the sub models and last as long?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by p0nk1n
    sub no cash shops. everyone pays the same and no one gains an unfair advantage with money.

Exactly. 65% of us chose Sub with no cash shop; everyone else is spread out amongst the other choices. Clear winner. And this is considering those F2P lovers probably have multiple MMORPG accounts.

Only because MMORPG is not representative. In the US, F2P players outnumber P2P 6 to 1.

http://www.superdataresearch.com/us-free-to-play-does-it-pay-to-switch/

but according to the 90/9/1 rule, or 89/10/1 or w/e...the number of CONSUMERS is 0.6 to 1 for F2P vs P2P. or 3 to 5.

P2P remains ominant in terms of business model as the 90% of free players don't engage in any form of business.

Free players are content for the paid  players. Without them, there will be fewer paid players, and may be they don't pay as much because there are fewer people to impress with their $10 magic sword.

okay. I agree. but then you must agree with my .6 to 1 since you confirmed those 90% serve as content not as consumers.

Yeah .. i agreed. I play lots of F2P games .. and i don't engage in any form of business. You are right on.

• ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Theocritus
    I jsut dont get the love  here for the p2p model...I spent over 1k on EQ from 2000-05 and have nothing to show for it......I would take any f2p over any p2p any day because you save so much more money.....And what p2p is so great that you guys are so enamored with this model?. WoW? Eve? Theres a reason why this model is dying and that's because its a total ripoff.

If you are the type of player to spend $1k on EQ, you would probably have spent $5k if it employed a robuest "F2P" model. Be thankful your spending was limited to $15 a month.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• KuviskiKuviski KajaaniPosts: 214Member

Subscription, definitely. It tells me that the game was created for long-term profit and hence it will likely focus on content that lasts longer than mere months.

When I start a new MMORPG, I always begin with the thought of playing the game for years on forward. F2P and B2P don't tend to support such longetivity.

Edit: Also wanted to say, I don't really think about the pricing of games when I start playing them. Games eat up such a little portion of my budget anyway. Knowing what the payment model of a game is is important to me only because of its implications to gameplay.

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,593Member Uncommon
    I really do not care what business model a game uses.  What I look for is an entertaining game.
  • PrecusorPrecusor PalmaPosts: 4,733Member Uncommon
    Sub with no cash shop.
  • XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member

Sub, no cash shop, I like to know what I am spending, and not feel like someone is trying to get into my wallet everytime I log in.  I also think community clean up can be more effectively done in a sub game, even though no one does a stellar job on it usually.

Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by Theocritus
    I jsut dont get the love  here for the p2p model...I spent over 1k on EQ from 2000-05 and have nothing to show for it......I would take any f2p over any p2p any day because you save so much more money.....And what p2p is so great that you guys are so enamored with this model?. WoW? Eve? Theres a reason why this model is dying and that's because its a total ripoff.

If you are the type of player to spend $1k on EQ, you would probably have spent $5k if it employed a robuest "F2P" model. Be thankful your spending was limited to $15 a month.

And i spend nothing .. so i am thankful others can spend $5k on robust F2P games and subsidize my gaming.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,316Member Uncommon

But there's no commitment. It means the consumer can try it for a while then leave when it gets bored. What happened to the idea of sticking it out through thick and thin? Where's the fandom? Companies will shift towards making a lot of money right away before the fickle attention of the players go elsewhere.

How many big ftp games have lasted longer than 5 years?

ETA the examples described are small scale games. Can a ftp game be as extensive as some of the sub models and last as long?

I"m sure there are many f2p games that have lasted longer than 5 years, someone else can look them up. 

Commitment - most people may not be committed to them.  However I would venture that most people are not committed to p2p either.  There is likely just as much fandom for the game whether it is f2p or p2p, fandom is ruled by the fun of the game, not the payment model.  Sticking it through thick and thin?  Most won't do it.  As soon as they are bored of the game they will leave, p2p or f2p will not change that.  They are in it for entertainment only, once that stops they are done.

Some of the recent f2p games are producing content faster than some p2p games. 

f2p has nothing to do with longevity.  It has nothing to do with a game being a success.  A good f2p will be around a long time and make money.  A bad f2p will eventually die.  No difference from f2p.

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tokenaru
    Title says it all.

You're missing the games with subs+B2P+Cash shop. Yes, that's right companies that develope games like LOTR, EQ2, and Age of Conan have features within the game that require you to buy the expansion, pay a subscription, and or use the cash shop.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

I"m sure there are many f2p games that have lasted longer than 5 years, someone else can look them up. 

Maple Story?

12346»