Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update #26 By CSE - Lore & Building

2»

Comments

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Taldier
    Originally posted by botrytis

Not anti MJ, anti-fanfoi that swallows everything hook like and sinker. I have a bridge the MJ is planning to build, no real plans, just a philosophy right now - want to invest?

If MJ had experience building bridges, and a team of experienced bridge builders working for him, and then he came to me describing an idea very similiar to a bridge that I've really wanted to drive across for a decade...  Yeah, I'd invest at least something in that bridge.

That certainly doesnt make me a fanboi.  I havent closely followed his career or played all of the games he's worked on, but its pretty obvious he's a decent guy whose had some pretty large successes in the industry.

Certainly you can try to tear him down as an individual, but both he and members of his team have been involved in numerous successful projects.  DAOC and WAR are both functioning games.  They both work.  People connect remotely to a server and interact with each other.  If you have a problem with something he's worked on, that problem is going to have been with the design philosophy behind that game.

That is the part that actually differentiates MMO's from each other.  What type of gameplay experience the creators are actually attempting to create.  Not the graphics package or where the buttons are.

Its just silly to question whether MJ and his team are functionally capable of making a MMO.  The important question is whether they are making the right MMO for you.  That is why its important and relevant that he laid out the design philosophies behind this game.  The specific features and the shiny graphics are just the outer shell used to achieve those goals.

Exactly. I've been making that point too.

In this day and age, who honestly doesn't think they have the technical capabilities to make this happen? If anything that's the easy part. Themepark mmo's are a dime a dozen.

What we're looking for here is how it's different fundamentally/design wise. That's what I feel like is MJ's role here. To explain to us his vision. If you don't like his vision, don't back it. Simple as  that. 

It's the gameplay fundamentals that people are looking for something different here than the vanilla themepark style mmo.

Heck even though I wasn't concerned with the technical side, I was very pleasantly surprised how hard they are working to design the engine from the ground up with the intention of allowing HUGE Tri-realm battles, that other existing engines wouldn't handle so well.

Man I wish that tech had been around in 2001-2003 in daoc. Some of those huge fights would have been so much better lmao.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

Can't wait for the first player made penis house.

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Eraserhead

You know it's going to happen.... and I'll build an even bigger penis house right next to theirs, so show them how small their e-peen really is... lol

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Edany

You know it's going to happen.... and I'll build an even bigger penis house right next to theirs, so show them how small their e-peen really is... lol

lol :P then ill come storming in with my Legion of the Whispering Eye and destroy them both!

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

lol :P then ill come storming in with my Legion of the Whispering Eye and destroy them both!

And I will capture the video in all of its hilarious glory with my BoB. Woo, good times! :)

• AkuburaAkubura Member UncommonPosts: 16

What an amazing update, I love how fast they can take something and turn it into something I'd love to play around with. First with Smackhammer (which was a blast to play with you backers) and now with this building tool, I can't wait to start playing around with this and plan my house. 

Literally leaps and bounds more than I expected and this is just a rough concept! I'm very excited about this almost as much as the RvR now and I have never been a crafter before in a game. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Zeymere

Not to rain on the parade but I am underwhelmed. Again I can't stand the Minecraft style.  Why, why, why model after minecraft that is not this niche market???

Because it offers the most freedom for building structures out of any game that exists?

• BurgundusBurgundus Member Posts: 23

... The concept of developing a keep to defend with my guild, designed by my guild, built by my guild and defended by my guild... that's so far and above just getting a standard cookie cutter keep to 'claim' for a few minutes before everyone goes into the same tired old routine of piling on the stairs and beating on the same old doors.

The customization and catering to crafters is really a very cool thing. This comes from someone who isn't all that into crafting at all. I am guessing that the same kind of love is being held up for those of us who RvR as well. Saving the best for last so to speak.

This summed it up for me.  Great for an RVR game.  Designed by us, built by us, defended by us. 

Granted, I'm not much of an architect, but would have a good time playing around with it, or getting blueprints from those that are

The thing I'm most interested in (second to killing my enemies of course) is the player economy and seeing how that will trend or pan out. As an accountant by trade, I sense a huge meta-game within the game ala EvE, and I can't wait to sink my claws into it. 
  • DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    The thing I'm most interested in (second to killing my enemies of course) is the player economy and seeing how that will trend or pan out. As an accountant by trade, I sense a huge meta-game within the game ala EvE, and I can't wait to sink my claws into it. 

I'm super excited about that too.

I said this before, this is going to be a bit like EVE when it launched. So much economic potential.

Also, the building update was fantastic. CSE really has an incredibly talented staff.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Zeymere

Not to rain on the parade but I am underwhelmed. Again I can't stand the Minecraft style.  Why, why, why model after minecraft that is not this niche market???

whats wrong with the minecraft style building? allows you to make almost anything you want structure wise with pretty much infinite flexability depending on what resources you have

I agree, there's so much you could build, it's gonna be pretty awesome.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by TigsKC
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Danwarr

STILLL NOTHING ON ACTUAL RVR????!!!!! 

couple days before ruin, its almost like they want to fail.

From MJ here:http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/13861848/comments

Starting tonight begins the RvR push. Now, I've talked about it a lot in bits and pieces but from now on, at least one update a day from me on RvR.

wow...then he posts it in the comments...wtf  man...starting to feel this is straight vaporware(if it even funds)

You've made your whole kickstarter campaign into bullet notes for your FEATURES. WHAT ABOUT THE DAMN GAME?!

I'm takin my pledge back.

@Toxia

Jacobs posted it in the Kickstarter comments section as a response to... Kickstarter comments... because... he actually interacts with his backers directly.  Oh, how horrible!

Good riddance!

Agreed, so many of the comments on these forums sound like:

"Why hasnt he hired a slick sweet-talking marketing guy to sell me with flashy graphics and features that dont actually matter that much in larger picture of what playing the game will actually be like!?!?!"

MJ interacts directly with the community.  You can mail him questions through kickstarter and he'll respond to you personally.  He's even posted on these forums despite the constant barrage of negativity and blind hate he gets on here.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Taldier
    Originally posted by TigsKC
    Originally posted by Danwarr

STILLL NOTHING ON ACTUAL RVR????!!!!! 

couple days before ruin, its almost like they want to fail.

From MJ here:http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/13861848/comments

Starting tonight begins the RvR push. Now, I've talked about it a lot in bits and pieces but from now on, at least one update a day from me on RvR.

wow...then he posts it in the comments...wtf  man...starting to feel this is straight vaporware(if it even funds)

You've made your whole kickstarter campaign into bullet notes for your FEATURES. WHAT ABOUT THE DAMN GAME?!

I'm takin my pledge back.

@Toxia

Jacobs posted it in the Kickstarter comments section as a response to... Kickstarter comments... because... he actually interacts with his backers directly.  Oh, how horrible!

Good riddance!

Agreed, so many of the comments on these forums sound like:

"Why hasnt he hired a slick sweet-talking marketing guy to sell me with flashy graphics and features that dont actually matter that much in larger picture of what playing the game will actually be like!?!?!"

MJ interacts directly with the community.  You can mail him questions through kickstarter and he'll respond to you personally.  He's even posted on these forums despite the constant barrage of negativity and blind hate he gets on here.

i can vouche for this.. i have noticed he has been more active communicating with the backers than any kickstarter I have ever pledged by far.. i guess this is good and bad.. good for us backers but not as good for potential backers.. but still overall i have seen more concepts and info on this project than the last couple projects I backed

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

+1

Loving the depth and complexity that is starting to take form.

Excited to see what info comes in the next few days regarding the other systems.

On a side note.. growing pretty tired of posters on these forums who can't seem to understand that these videos are prototypes to show off concepts, not what the actual game is going to look like. -.-

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

I could not NOT hear him say "we MIGHT add blueprints, like mike talked about" :D

Still nothing but promises, nothing to show, only a 'cellstyle' housing thingy prototype, done in unity (which i think the engine has in it's own already..)

If they get the 2 mil, i bet they'll be back for more and claim that the 2 mil was to get a prototype or something, this is just way too Bernie Madoff to me..

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

Still reserving judgement until I see how keeps work out. I think the system is great for housing. If it didn't have blueprints then yeah it'd be annoying, but there's absolutely no reason to hate on the minecraft system when you don't have to use it.

If they find a way to still allow freedom, but limit ridiculous 7-8 layered keeps then all will be well.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Odaman
    Still reserving judgement until I see how keeps work out. I think the system is great for housing. If it didn't have blueprints then yeah it'd be annoying, but there's absolutely no reason to hate on the minecraft system when you don't have to use it.If they find a way to still allow freedom, but limit ridiculous 7-8 layered keeps then all will be well.

I imagine building a keep would work the same way, preferably though you would have a blueprint ready to rock then everybody could help you construct the keep.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95

There is lots of RvR info for the the game, i'm more interested to find out more about lore and race/classes...

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Odaman

Still reserving judgement until I see how keeps work out. I think the system is great for housing. If it didn't have blueprints then yeah it'd be annoying, but there's absolutely no reason to hate on the minecraft system when you don't have to use it.

If they find a way to still allow freedom, but limit ridiculous 7-8 layered keeps then all will be well.

Mark said there will be a height limit. Width should be restricted by the size of the plots and bubbles.

I really hope some people just build huge fortresses in this game. That will be amazing.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    What was the point of that building video? might has well had mine craft playing in the background, if anyone has used Unity you'll know that even an inexperienced programmer you can create an editor like that in half a day.  Yet more pointless tat IMHO
  • Originally posted by expresso
    What was the point of that building video? might has well had mine craft playing in the background, if anyone has used Unity you'll know that even an inexperienced programmer you can create an editor like that in half a day.  Yet more pointless tat IMHO

The purpose was to show you the prototype for what they have planned for crafting buildings and other structures in the game.