Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel: A New Hope for SWToR

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Rise of the Hutt Cartel is the first digital expansion for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Is this the expansion you're looking for? Find out in our official review!

Priced at $10 (or $20 for non-subscribers), Rise of the Hutt Cartel adds two new main story arcs, one for each of the game’s two factions, that both center on the massive new planet of Makeb. The expansion also adds Achievements, new Macrobinocular and Seeker Droid missions, a new Operation, and of course, the requisite level cap bump (complete with new abilities and revamped talent trees) to level 55. There are a couple of other smaller additions, but this is mainly what you’re getting for your $10 (or $20).

Read more of Michael Bitton's Rise of the Hutt Cartel: A New Hope for SWToR.

http://images.mmorpg.com/images/newsImages/152013/SWTOR-RotHC_t.jpg

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    I won't play it I pvp and the money for free players is still limited. That's not free note how you should play. From a soth sorcer who got their whole story quest and made all save the female Jedi, doctor, and my apprentice love me yeah. I just don't fell the draw anymore since launch.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Sounds good.  I need to get back to my SWTOR account now.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    To much other good stuff out and coming.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Is it possible now to go into warzones with 10-20 ppl spamming specials without dropping to 3 fps?

(this on a highend machine)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ScriptsScripts Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I understand they are in it to make money but after they screwed people who bought the CE and a year sub I havent played for a long while. However, yesterday I deceided to give it another shot. SWTOR is the worst f2p system I have seen. They give you quest rewards that you can not even use/open unless you are a sub. You can not show titles bags its rediculous. 
  • eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    I just have to say the new Agent 51 ability is.... useless. I want to get *away* from my target, not roll towards it. And turning around and using it (facing away from my foe), leaving me shooting backwards over my shoulder once I'm in cover, is not acceptable. Perhaps in PvP it might have a use, but in PvE, useless.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Considering most of this stuff was already written about a year or so ago, then I will not see new hope for SWTOR until actual new stuff is announced.

Still waiting on the Cathar race ...

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Considering most of this stuff was already written about a year or so ago, then I will not see new hope for SWTOR until actual new stuff is announced.

Still waiting to be able to sit in a seat...way too much to ask for in an "rpg".

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

"priced at $10 or $20 for non-subscribers"

As long as they keep trying to make this a subscription based game, they prove they will never see what is wrong with it and thus are not going to fix it for those that wont pay a sub.

/signed former player.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I'm still 100% sure I'll return to SWTOR in future years. Though seeing as they failed at every aspect of the game except storyline I will wait till atleast two expansions, if not more, are released and just go through the only worthwhile features(the story). I'm a hardcore pvper but I'm still willing to return for the story lol.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Instanced PvP. Theme Park Questing. Quest Hub to Quest Hub progression. Narrow Zones, Zero Social elements and optional sandbox features, e.g., player cities, player economy, deep crafting, exploration.

SWTOR is just a bad MMO. No expansion will fix it The only thing that will fix it is an entire revamp and a new title.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Instanced PvP. Theme Park Questing. Quest Hub to Quest Hub progression. Narrow Zones, Zero Social elements and optional sandbox features, e.g., player cities, player economy, deep crafting, exploration.

SWTOR is just a bad MMO. No expansion will fix it The only thing that will fix it is an entire revamp and a new title.

SWG sandbox with Swtor graphics and instances and better engine performance....I would fall for that one easily.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Swtor expandion. is alright and driod and macro binocular quest is good fun. However, beyond that, where is the future? It is uncertain. And if by future you mean more like makeb which took a lot of time to develop then what are the other features?

Is that story content and a cartel store enough?how much longer till SSSP or mini games. That would be the future i am hoping for and something done about pvp... for starters, arenas and chosing which wz would be nice.

Nice to be optimistic, but not knowing beyond what exists, the future is bleak. I am already probably setting my expectstions too high for SSSP. Ill probably rage quit when I find out its a simple coop. Not having bounties, iconic races for character creation, large scale pvp, varied mechanics for wz's or gambling is bad enough.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by superniceguy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151444442528860&set=a.10150113796393860.291837.28984808859&type=1&theater

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Only talked about prices and compared to other mmo that do business with dlc, well let me make it very clear : in any other mmo that does business with dlc; like dcuo, we only have to buy the dlc and we get every content that comes with teh dlc, we can do raid;alerts;quests everything, but in swtor even after buying the "digital expansion"(aka high priced dlc) we MUST pay  monthly or buy weekly pass for 3$ every week to completely play the content(which i already paid for). it is cheating at it's best.   

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Hello, is it possible to fly the ships through space in this update? I would play it!

I also liked KOTOR and heard there is no Pazak, is it in game now?

Cheers Doc B

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Oh, look... they are still marketing the hell out of this turd. Give it up, already....
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    I could have swore I saw almost this exact story maybe 1-2 weeks ago. Did EA send another envelope for a repost?
  • Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    It would take longer to read all that than to play through the makeb story.  "A new hope" lol, its more of the exact same content, you either like it or you don't at this point. Did this dlc really deserve 2 articles?
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    The model adopted by SWTOR is so labor intensive... I knew this was going to be an issue.  That not only would it take a long time to add; that what they would add would be limited both in scope and length.  I'm actually playing the game again and and enjoying it, but there is too much other good stuff coming out that simply going with more of the same isn't going to bring in new players, let alone convince current players to keep going with this game.  I mean, with all the work that obviously went into the game, it's a shame that it ended up the way that it did.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by JasonJ

"priced at $10 or $20 for non-subscribers"

As long as they keep trying to make this a subscription based game, they prove they will never see what is wrong with it and thus are not going to fix it for those that wont pay a sub.

/signed former player.

Well the "fix" they have come up with is to simply make F2P so bad that sub players go, "well we may not be getting anything new for our money but at least we don't have it as bad as those guys".

Also $10 is pretty much around the right price point for the amount of content delivered, so if you are free you are getting ripped pretty hard.  The thing is if they charged free players $10 then how would they make the subs feel like they are getting value and still pad their wallets?  

Basically they use the stick method of keeping players subbed instead of the carrot method, the thing is that model isn't very sustainable and Bioware will probably find that out in the long run.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

SWTOR with new DLC is getting better and better. I have re-subed after 6 months and finaly I agree that game is worth of the montly sub. 

After the fiasco with v1.0 and all the trolling and the hits they got during a year and more they didnt gave up. They continued to bring new content to ppl and adding new things.  

Sadly many ppl got frustrated and it will be hard to get more ppl back but there are always new players that might see that the game is good and going better with every patch.

Also I thing that they should keep this ballance between f2p accounts and sub cause that will keep trolls away from the game.

• swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78

I just re-activated after a bit of time off...  Rerolled to get familiar with my 50s, and having a good time.  The fact you can earn Cartel coins for fluff stuff is kind of nice.

Nothing out there atm to catch my interest anyways (TESO & WoD are the only two that do not make me yawn), so it is a good time killer =)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Still a good game, but I wish they would fix the robot commentary, hard to discern.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by hypernikao
    I understand they are in it to make money but after they screwed people who bought the CE and a year sub I havent played for a long while. However, yesterday I deceided to give it another shot. SWTOR is the worst f2p system I have seen. They give you quest rewards that you can not even use/open unless you are a sub. You can not show titles bags its rediculous. 

The most ridiculous thing I saw, was that I could not even hide my helmet! They are charging money for that too!! Absolutely ridiculous!!

EA and Bioware have taken Nickle and Diming to new extremes with this F2P model, by locking specific Interface settings you have to pay for LOL! /facepalm

Especially as CE owner I had expected to AT LEAST have access to the entire Interface and UI. You know.... just basic stuff even the most diehard Asian F2P cash grab games don't lock away.