Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Learning 3d modelling and animation! which programto use?

CastillleCastillle KhobarMember Posts: 2,672 Uncommon

So yah...My friends and I want to learn to make 3d stuff n stuff and we were thinking that we could just pitch in to get something so..

Which program do you guys think would be good to learn?  3dsmax or maya?  Or lightwave?

Edit : These arent my ideas as I know close to nothing about art -.- I cant even draw ffs!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• morritzmorritz some city, CAMember Posts: 28

Go check out Blender.

It's completely free, and you can see from examples how amazingly powerful it is.   Plus being open source there is a lot free resources for learning.

Once you learn the concepts of 3d modelling, you'd be able to easily adapt to any commercial software you end up using.

Seriously, do not underestimate this software just because it is open source

• CastillleCastillle KhobarMember Posts: 2,672 Uncommon

Il download this and pass on the word! Thank you :o

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• morritzmorritz some city, CAMember Posts: 28

No problem.  If you guys start getting serious, I'm putting together a project to give amateur artists and coders the chance to begin building a portfolio as they work to break into the gaming industry.  PM me your email address if you'd like more information.

• CastillleCastillle KhobarMember Posts: 2,672 Uncommon

Well I have no intentions of being an artist but Ill forward the message to them xD

I actually believe in flat out outsourcing artists/graphics lawl But thats because Im not good with stuff liek that at all>.<

( o.o)
    (")(")

• sancher36sancher36 houseMember Posts: 458 Uncommon

I'm my university course on multimedia game design the packages I'm using are

1. mudbox 

2. 3d studio max

3. blender

I've almost finished my modeling units and going onto FX in a few weeks 

• dronfwardronfwar Shitty, DEMember Posts: 316
    zbrush (sculptris being the free version)
  • NoizMchnNoizMchn Atlanta, GAMember Posts: 29 Uncommon
    Blender is free and they have an option to change the UI to look and act like Maya.  You really can't go wrong with that.
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon swindonMember Posts: 409
    Great bunch of guys and community over at Blender Cookie.com. Cant go wrong.
  • NitthNitth AustraliaMember Posts: 3,903 Uncommon

Everything bar blender is much to expensive just to buy for a hobby.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAMember Posts: 5,190 Uncommon

Ive used alot of 3D modeling applications.  I find Blender to be the best before even factoring in cost.  The reason is the way they do things makes the modeling workflow faster.  Alot faster.  Its also alot cleaner a modeling app compared to something like Maya.  If you are working in a game development workflow, Blender has alot of great tools for getting a model from Blender into the game and look exactly the same.  Finally, there are features in Blender not present in alternatives that really put it over the top, like a sculpting workflow.  The real issue people have is adjusting to the UI, but its really a difference in getting rid of old habits and not about poor UI design decisions.  It took me some time to get readjusted to the workflow, but once I did I got significantly faster.

If you are sculpting I would avoid ZBrush like the plague.  Its a terrible program that has some how become the standard.  3D Coat and Mudbox use much more familiar tools, can get greater depth, are more stable, and have better retopology tools.  To me it makes no sense to learn ZBrush for a sub-par experience.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCMember Posts: 6,435 Uncommon
    But how do I learn to make 3D models and animations/ I have Blender downloaded, but not idea how to addressed this.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Uncommon
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

I wish I replied sooner.

http://cgcookie.com/blender

You will probably find the best tutorials there. You can also look at tutorials on youtube. The two I get the most info from are Gleb Alexandrov, Blender HD, and Andrew Price.

• aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVMember Posts: 5,135 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Castillle
    So yah...My friends and I want to learn to make 3d stuff n stuff and we were thinking that we could just pitch in to get something so.. Which program do you guys think would be good to learn?  3dsmax or maya?  Or lightwave? Edit : These arent my ideas as I know close to nothing about art -.- I cant even draw ffs!

Start out focusing on one or the other. You'll have a hard time being good at either if you try and learn both simultaneously.

For animation (i'm assuming you're talking mostly character animation / traditional 3d animation) learn maya, absolutely 100% for your first program. It has a bit of a learning curve but is somewhat of industry standard when it comes to 3d animation. Also if you can use maya to a professional level, learning other 3d programs will be easy by comparison.

For modelling, you need to figure out what kind of modelling you are talking about. If you are thinking about doing characters / creatures, be prepared for a long road ahead of you. It's a lot of work, and you need to make sure your traditional art skills are up to snuff as well. For this type of modelling I highly recommend learning a sculpting program (Z-Brush, Mudbox primarily). They are the standards for character modelling. Start with the basics, start simple and work your way up to complex. Get in the happen of making clean / organized models, and triple check your topology. If your meshes are a mess they create all sorts of problems down the line.

If you're trying to do more hard modelling (machines, cars, environments, etc.) I'd suggest going w/ Maya as a start.

- If you're thinking about doing more simulated animations (particles / fluids / etc.) then that gets a bit tougher. And requires a pretty large knowledge pool to be effective in. In this case if you're just looking for something to get quick results in, try FumeFX (which is a plugin for 3d studio max).

***** As for you? and you're friend, why are you trying to learn these things? Are you doing this as a hobby, or are you thinking about doing these things seriously?

If you're doing this as a hobby, almost any 3d program you could just pick up and start working with. If you're looking for the easiest programs to pick up, that would probably have to go to either Blender or Modo. Imho, if you're going that route Modo would make more sense. If you want to get more professional results, read my comments above.

If you're serious about this, I can't emphasize enough that you should hone you're art skills. If you don't have at least decent art fundamentals, then learning this stuff will prove a huge waste of time. Understanding basic things like proportions, lightning, and a basic understand of movement are huge if you want to get even mildly good results. One of my degrees is in this area, and they don't even let people into the program without demonstrating strong art fundamentals. There's a reason for that. It's a lot of work, but if you're serious about this, then just pick it up and keep at it. You'll only get better with practice.

• AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTMember Posts: 4,837 Uncommon

It's to bad the community here can't all get together and learn to use this software and develop a game! I wonder what the game would look like!

Kidding! I'm sure it would be a damn good game! There is a lot of experience here. 

Sorry OP, I'm old and know of nothing you are looking for. I am jealous of you young people and the skills you can learn! Good luck in your endeavor.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GaendricGaendric Member Posts: 569 Uncommon

I would focus on training your art skills, anatomic knowledge and design knowledge before downloading/buying any tool.

Honestly, that is the most important part. The rest is just learning to use tools.

No need for the additional tech hurdle right at the start, it would just slow your progress down.

Then later start off with Blender until you are sure working in this area is for you.

If you then want to continue, there are good mid range options like Modo and ofcourse the high-end setups like Max/Maya with zBrush.

You can ofcourse combine zBrush with lower cost tools too, GoZ supports quite a few 3D tools. (Modo, C4D, LW, Max, Maya and more)

There is also nothing wrong with sticking with Blender. It's great.

Just remember, they are just tools you use. They don't make or break a good game artist.

The tools used can limit your employment prospects. For instance a Blender user like me who prefers it over Maya or Max. I will be looked down upon from some studios as a lesser artist or hobbyist. This is mainly from Senior Artists who have only used Max or Maya, and don't put the time into using another program like Blender. On the other hand there is a section of studios that Blender is a HUGE positive since they won't need to buy a $3k software package. Then there are large studios that are open to using anything.

There is also a similar idea with ZBrush. Other ones like MudBox, 3D Coat, or Blender might not be approvable under the scrutiny of a senior artist who only uses Maya and ZBrush.