Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Radeon HD 7990 launches. World doesn't care.

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

AMD today launched the Radeon HD 7990, which basically constitutes two Radeon HD 7970s on a single card.  It's a little faster than a GeForce GTX 690, but also uses a lot more power, so if you're limited by power, the latter is the better buy.  It's also more expensive than two Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition cards while being slower, so if you're not sharply limited by power, two (or three!) 7970 GHz Edition cards make more sense.  If you want the fastest performance you can get in a single slot, the older unofficial 7990s from PowerColor and Asus are clocked higher, so the new 7990 is slower than those.  If you want max performance at any price, then two or three GeForce GTX Titans is the way to go, as that has considerably faster GPUs.

So basically, AMD just launched a new card and I don't see any reason why anyone would want to get one.  But hey, it's finally here after being delayed by a year or so from the initial rumors.

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Now I definately want one.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I do not think I will ever buy an AMD again.  I got one now after only using NVIDIA and I hate it.  Issues with games.  Display drivers failing.  Look at the site and see it is a common problem that is suppose to be fixed...never get fixed.  I will pay the extra for Nvidia from now on.  I might have a dud for a card, but it has turned me off from the company.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    It looks massive! I think it takes up 3 slots.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Muke

It has three red fans!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BlackLightzBlackLightz Member UncommonPosts: 17

One step for mankind, one more step in the endless line of GFX cards with a minor upgrade.

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Horusra
    I do not think I will ever buy an AMD again.  I got one now after only using NVIDIA and I hate it.  Issues with games.  Display drivers failing.  Look at the site and see it is a common problem that is suppose to be fixed...never get fixed.  I will pay the extra for Nvidia from now on.  I might have a dud for a card, but it has turned me off from the company.

I have built 3 gaming rigs in the last 8 years and have had AMD cards in each of them. I have personally experienced little to no issues with games and I have a collection of over 50. I also update my drivers regularly, that might have something to do with it. With that said, you could certainly have a bad card.

I have no problem with nVidia, but I also have not had any problems with AMD so no reason for me to switch.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Muke Now I definately want one.
    It has three red fans!  
     Now you see the issue with the red fans? Well they didn't go ahead and put flames on them. Because we all know flames make things go faster. :)

They also didn't put a wider exhaust on it, which is good because otherwise the torque from the fans might push it right out of the case. I think the only other thing they could have done would be to wire the fans or processors in parallel, dropping the ohm load to get deeper bass.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Muke Now I definately want one.
    It has three red fans!  
     Now you see the issue with the red fans? Well they didn't go ahead and put flames on them. Because we all know flames make things go faster. :)
    Heck yeah they do, just like the "turbo" button on most of the early generation PCs...lol. I remember being a teenager and opening the case on my Pentium 133 machine (1.2 GB HDD baby!!!!) and found the turbo button wasn't wired to anything, needless to say I stopped pushing it.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I have several 5 -7 year old ATI cards that are still running and I have had more NVidia cards that self-implode than I can count. Currently using a 7970 and am very happy with it - seems more stable the the NVidia card it replaced that died.

Originally posted by botrytis
    I have several 5 -7 year old ATI cards that are still running and I have had more NVidia cards that self-implode than I can count. Currently using a 7970 and am very happy with it - seems more stable the the NVidia card it replaced that died.

I owned 1 nVidia card before, an 8800GTX. It would over heat after about 10-15 minutes in most games and I would have to shut down. I even had the Asus version with the fancy heat sink (and no it wasn't a case cooling issue) I tried AMD after that and have been with them since. 

Another flaw that people keep overlooking when it comes to hardware is that software (especially games) aren't tested with every type of hardware on the market. Which means the TITAN, 690,680, 7870 or 7890 won't always be the best of the best because the software might not be optimized for that type of hardware.

Indeed, there are allot of variables. Heck, I remember some games coming out and wouldn't even play on certain cards until the company updated thier drivers.

• UndeadlyUndeadly Member Posts: 52

Heck yeah they do, just like the "turbo" button on most of the early generation PCs...lol. I remember being a teenager and opening the case on my Pentium 133 machine (1.2 GB HDD baby!!!!) and found the turbo button wasn't wired to anything, needless to say I stopped pushing it.

Made me laugh!

• UndeadlyUndeadly Member Posts: 52

It has three red fans!

LOL

Originally posted by Undeadly

It has three red fans!

LOL

Don't lauch, my graphic cards have jetfighter prints on the fan casings, so that gives it a extra boost!

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

That extra throttle gives you the edge you need in combat when flying a fighter plane in BF3?

I am one of the few not playing BF3 because frankly, I hate Cod and BF3...I rather play Doom/UT type sci fi games.

Crawling up to a sniper and empty 2 pistol magazines into someone's back of the head, only to witness him standing up, turn around and kill me with 1 knife stroke wasn't my thing. :)

But back to the graphics thing, I had my best experiences with ATI cards, every Nvidia-and other cards died on me rather quickly.

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    i always used nvidia, switched to ati once and had to replace it 3-4 months later so i stick to nvidia