Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Origins Of Malu: Beta Slated for May 4th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Folks hoping to check out Origins of Malu will want to head to the official site and download the client in preparation for the commencement of the beta on May 4, 2013. As of this point, the beta will be for PC users only though Apple and tablet support will be added at a later date.

Having learned from our previous mistakes, we are going to try the ''under promise and over deliver'' approach this time around.  As such we have decided to push Beta all the way back to May 4th, 2013. I know this will cause further dissappointment for our eager fans who have been teething to try this out. So we must remain firm on our stance that quality is the most important thing to us and yes, we did get delayed with serious issues when we annouced our original date but we have since then recovered. We would like to still properly test out our systems to ensure the least buggy enviroment for everyone when they start to explore the world of Malu. If we can get it out sooner we will, but we are going to be extra cautious this time around. The pressure to not let the community down is high and we take this very seriously.  We are doing the best we can and we will continue to improve and learn! Remeber this is our first rodeo here ;)

Read the full news blog on the Origins of Malu site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Looking foward to trying this game
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Some nice ideas. But perma death (though not everywhere) and full loot are not my cup of tea in an MMO. Don't know why so many indie companies think it is a good choice.
  • xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Perma Death sounds interesting. Though most people won't like it, I think a very harsh death system keeps people on their toes and changes the whole atmosphere. I'd try it out for sure.

• TekkamanTekkaman Member UncommonPosts: 158

Permadeath keeps idiots out of games. Sadly those are the idiots that cause your game to thrive if you want mass numbers.

No issues on my end! I love not having people who just rush into something to die and then laugh about it and respawn. Call of Duty has caused enough issues with instant gratification and lack of consequence for your actions.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

This game has a pretty unique style and concept.

I'll be interested to see how far they're along.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

Permadeath keeps idiots out of the game?  Not really.  It keeps paying customers and people who enjoy progression out of the game.  Any game that has perma death is always going to be a niche title and sooner or later that's just not going to work for the company.  It's a stupid choice.  Simple as that.  If you enjoy perma death so much, what's to stop you from deleting your character every time you die in game?  Do it if you want to, but don't force people who have actually taken the time to progress their characters only for them to die to a random pvp zerg or difficult encounter.  Especially if they went in not knowing what to expect, you have to learn some how.

I don't mind harsh death penalities but perma death will never work.

I like to complain about games.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    where are you guys getting the perma death from ><
    and full loot ..
    wait i think full loot is for the arenas only its an option its not in the open world
    • Duels - No Loot
    • Perma Death Duels, if you are high enough you fight in the arena - Full Loot
    • Group Perma Death Arena - we wanted to keep everything in the open world, but for perma death we need to make there will be no interference.
    • Guild Battles with people - Not full loot - but loot
    • Guild Base Battles - Guild bases are FULL Loot
    • Faction Wars - Not full loot - but loot
    • There is something else that is planned here that the Hardcores will like here
    yea you guys are blowing the perma deatht hing out of whack. its only in the arena not the open world its 100% option
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Perma Death and full loot are the worst things you can put in a mmo.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Perma Death and full loot are the worst things you can put in a mmo.

If its optional i don't see the big issue

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/16/the-daily-grind-how-do-you-kill-off-your-characters/

interesting idea not sure how many would do it:) bet that fight would get the blood pumping though lol

that's pretty hardcore for those that want it.. and putting it in an arena type thing for others to watch as they said it would be a huge event is actually pretty neat

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Anthur
    Some nice ideas. But perma death (though not everywhere) and full loot are not my cup of tea in an MMO. Don't know why so many indie companies think it is a good choice.

It's a great choice, because noobs that have been playing longer just come in and kill everyone because they know they'll get away with it. Add risk to it, and everyone thinks smarter.

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• bartillobartillo Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Perma death is OPTIONAL! Only in perma death arenas and duels.. you cant be perma killed out in the world.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    So excited!!!!!!  Tho sadly this game will get trashed by idiots.   They are doing a true beta, not a PR beta.    There will  be plenty of bashing posts on how crappy the game is from people failing to understand the concept of beta.   But for me, I'm pumped for this game and for the idiots to avoid it.  I'm tired of the rollercoaster ride that is a major published MMO.   Everyone flocks to them at launch and there are high populated servers and quickly people leave and servers become ghost towns.   Rinse and repeat for next AAA title.    So excited for beta, already got my bug hunting shoes on!

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    my mind tells me this game will be good. i am actually looking forward to this game even though i don't like sandbox at all. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.