Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happens if CU doesn't meet the goal?

vackvack Member Posts: 56

I know the obvious....but the ideas thrown out there are impressive, and I'm really hoping Mark has an ace up his sleeve....am I worried....650K in a week is a lot of cabbage.

I think most of us that were around and really into games when DAOC released...(I was 26 at the time), are looking for an ender game.  Most of us are married now, kids, mortgages, car and student loan payments.....ugh Life.  But we still enjoy games, and many of us still talk about the good years of DAOC.

So I guess, this is a hope post....Mr. Jacobs, I hope you have an ace up your sleeve, because most of us old foggies, who are losing faith in the ever cloudy markety of MMO crap....are looking for the Golden Ring.....I hope you can give it to us.

Signed,

Vack Justice

Paladin, Guinevere, since the beginning.

Vack
FF XIV - the single worse game to cross my hard drive, ever.

Comments

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    He can start over again with half of the pve from daoc and it will be more than enough to get us over 2 million. Any extra money from needing more pve can be made up in the stretch goals. Just remember there are no stretch goals if you can't even make it 2 million.
  • belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264

If it doesn't make it, he kills the project.

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by UOlover
    He can start over again with half of the pve from daoc and it will be more than enough to get us over 2 million.

Originally posted by belatucadros
    He can start over again with half of the pve from daoc and it will be more than enough to get us over 2 million.

How about you take your no and hit the road and the rest of us will actually get a game to play

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

I'd rather not have the game made if it's going to include PvE.    It will just ruin the balancing of the PvP, like it did in so many other games.  Remember, they had "enhanced class balance tools" and that still resulted in the creation of Bright Wizards because of PvE balance, even though playing a BW for about 10 minutes in PvP should have told you the class was completely unbalanced.

So, I'd rather not have to deal with the PvE that just ends up screwing up the PvP aspect of the game.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

One thing for sure is there will be several threads about how the forums can go back to normal, and flame wars over it being a good thing or not.  I'm even betting that someone will say how people shouldn't be happy when all those people lost their jobs. Stuff like that.  

As for the game, who would want to work at a project with minimal fan support.  I would think he'd just call it quits with the idea.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by SBE1 I'd rather not have the game made if it's going to include PvE.    It will just ruin the balancing of the PvP, like it did in so many other games.  Remember, they had "enhanced class balance tools" and that still resulted in the creation of Bright Wizards because of PvE balance, even though playing a BW for about 10 minutes in PvP should have told you the class was completely unbalanced. So, I'd rather not have to deal with the PvE that just ends up screwing up the PvP aspect of the game.

That's just what you're going to get if it doesn't fund, a game not made. So you can either have 75% of the rvr you want and still have the best rvr game out there or you can have nothing. That's a real tough guy stance indeed, you're a shining example for everyone else to follow

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

I'm genuinely curious how some will rationalize it will still make it even as the days tick down.

As in what sort of voodoo math threads will come up on the last day if it's 400k short of how it will still make it.

Not knocking the game or KS at all , just amused that some refuse to see it is definitely in danger of not funding by the deadline.

• poisonmanpoisonman Member Posts: 59

All I gotta say is this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

90% or more of the MMOs on that list have PvE in them, is there a reason this one NEEDS it and can't you get your fill of PvE from one of the many PvE based MMOs that are out on the market right now? 

There is only a absurd amount of them.... *rolls eyes*

Everyone supporting this project wants a RvR only MMO.

Originally posted by poisonman

All I gotta say is this:

Well that's great, now get them to lower the funding goal so we'll actually get a game. You can be as hardcore super elite rvr as you want but not if we don't reach the funding goal.

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    If it doesn't make it then there will be a lot of sad panda haters on these forums.
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Originally posted by Talmien
    If it doesn't make it then there will be a lot of sad panda haters on these forums.

Honestly , with some of the virtual panhandling I've seen for this thing on here , I'll bet there will be mutliple /ragequit forum posts , rants about how it's everyone's fault for not donating , and a few over the top diatribes on how humanity has failed due to not funding this.

And I'm only slightly joking ;)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by belatucadros

How about you take your no and hit the road and the rest of us will actually get a game to play

You say that but how many backers would pull out if CU went down the care bear route?

Hard to tell, but I'd imagine a lot.

PvE will not fix the problem.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by poisonman

All I gotta say is this:

Well that's great, now get them to lower the funding goal so we'll actually get a game. You can be as hardcore super elite rvr as you want but not if we don't reach the funding goal.

There is a reason they need $2m.....which has already been well established. Im sure CSE can pump another million into the game, they are backed be a massive software publisher after all....oh....wait...no that's exactly why this is a KS.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

It will fail... PvE was the backbone of Daoc, you cant make a clone and just remove it.

Its like Wow with battlegrounds only.

You see it by yourself, people where screeming for daoc 2 for years, here it comes but the masses are not intrested.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Zinzan

There is a reason they need $2m.....which has already been well established. Im sure CSE can pump another million into the game, they are backed be a massive software publisher after all....oh....wait...no that's exactly why this is a KS.

Yeah the reason is Mark wanted to combine DAOC and Minecraft. If he had stuck with just making a better DAOC, it could have been done much cheaper and almost certainly be a better game that is better targetted towards its actual player niche. And maybe he still could have raised enough money to do the Minecraft stuff as stretch goals from PayPal donations.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

So what happens if CU doesn't meet the goal?

It will prove that there infact isnt enough of a market for this type of game. Those that want it are a very vocal minority, but a minority none the less. The MMO world has moved on.....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• PewpsockemzPewpsockemz Member Posts: 49
    You said it yourself. The audience for this game is a bunch of old foggies who have their money tied up in other things that maturity has brought them. What kids with money want is not the vision of CU. So to answer your question, he might have an ace up his sleeve but a straight flush will always win.
  • ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

I really think all the minecraft relation has hurt the game concept.  I know it has for me. I wish them well but even for a niche game and even if most KS get lots of funding in the end I am doubtful here. 

I hope I am wrong and Good Luck MJ!

Z.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by mari3k

It will fail... PvE was the backbone of Daoc, you cant make a clone and just remove it.

You see it by yourself, people where screeming for daoc 2 for years, here it comes but the masses are not intrested.

While I don't know if it will fail to meet the goal or not. I have to agree with part of this comment. I friggin loved RvR in DAOC.  DAOC was also one of the few MMO's that I never really got tired of the PvE either. Lack of anything shown outside concepts, and the whole zero PvE is also part of the reason I currently won't back it.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• vackvack Member Posts: 56

I will admit, I was a bit taken back by the NO PVE statements.  However, after reading more into it, I think that statement is more no PVE that effects or allows you to be great or better in RVR.  All of that will come directly from RVR.

Now before we stomp on my corpse for saying this about PVE, let me retract.  There are times, when one just doesn't have the time to invest in a night of good RVR, or sometimes it gets very frustrating and can make a gamer a....well, less than likeable person.  So for those nights, or days or whatever, DAOC always had the fall back PVE.

But again, I think because the crafting is said to be so new, helpful, rewarding, and impressive, I'd say that is your new PVE.

What I was also taken back by was the statements that this is meant to be a Niche game, but to a working man like myself, with a family, 2 million dollars is not Niche at all....that's a lot of money.  But still,  we're just under 9K kickers, and that's pretty Niche IMO, and impressive even.  We all, well most of all of us work, and work hard for our money, and those just about 9 thousand people so far, have kicked in almost 1.5 Million dollars for this game.  

This is why I'm optimistic.  I think Mark does have an ace up his sleeve, He wanted Niche, and the numbers are Niche, I think he has an investor he's holding off until the last minute to cap it off.  Hell they're already developing the engine for the game....now I don't know a lot about what goes into making a game...I just pla them when I can...but that has to cost some resources to do, I would think so anyway!?!

But what I do know, is we as a gaming community, should be more optimistic, and less crazy, evil, internet bullies.  We need to spew less hate, if we don't agree with an idea and or person, constructive reasons and points are a good start....but if you or we truly care about the future of this genre and the companies/people that make the genre happen....then lets use some kindness, and less hate.

Vack
    FF XIV - the single worse game to cross my hard drive, ever.

Originally posted by ZinzanYou say that but how many backers would pull out if CU went down the care bear route? Hard to tell, but I'd imagine a lot. PvE will not fix the problem.

Half of the pve that was in daoc is hardly the carebear route.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Would definately go for that lol, battlegrounds is the only fun in WOW.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Roin

While I don't know if it will fail to meet the goal or not. I have to agree with part of this comment. I friggin loved RvR in DAOC.  DAOC was also one of the few MMO's that I never really got tired of the PvE either. Lack of anything shown outside concepts, and the whole zero PvE is also part of the reason I currently won't back it.

I know I said awhile back I would never post on the CU again, however this is a perfect example of why. Just saying, rvr was the main reason for my love of daoc, however pve HAD to be there and will HAVE to be there for me to even back this project. No if's and's or butts! About it :)

As stated before (when I said I would never post again on CU) the issue here mostly is there is no true concept of vision, it's this or that (whatever the flavor of the day is to raise funds), this is why I pulled away from my high invesment to no invesment, I honestly think he has no clue what he wants in the end, he will build it as it goes and see what he likes and doesn't. Sorry can't back a kickstarter with no clue what it will actually do.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Talmien

It's because of THIS that I donated 10 bucks and I don't even plan on playing.

The forums will go to an even deeper level of hell for a LONG time following this.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2