Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 people are kicking the guy, guess I should too

Comments

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Eol-
    Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

TESO will fail simple reason being it's a lame themepark mmo with some elements of DAOC RvR.

The players will ride the rides and then grow tired of the game it's just how it is with all these new themepark mmo's coming out.

TESO should first and foremost been a sandbox hybrid themepark .... look at ArcheAge as a perfect example of what TESO should have strived towards.

Once people  ride the rides there is nothing to do in the game, no player housing, guild halls, crafting or other social elements to pass the time. They think people will just run dungeons over and over chasing the carrot for gear?

Sorry but WoW already has this done and and ran it into the ground.

I personally won't play another mmo unless it gives me something else to do beside run dungeons and chase the carrot on stick loot grind.

This post doesnt make sense. In particular, how you dismiss RvR. First you say its a themepark, then you admit it has 'elements' of RvR (it doesnt have 'elements', it has RvR, period), then you say there's nothing left to do except run dungeons???? Thats the whole point of the RvR: they are NOT going the WoW route of instanced raids and gear, they are going the DAoC route which is very different. Personally I think thats a wise choice because while it may alienate some players who dont like any type of PvP, I agree that copying WoW's endgame is a mistake because WoW does that very well and other games have tried and failed to out-WoW WoW. And yes, while WoW has done this and run it into the ground, they also have millions of subscribers who have been paying every month for years to keep doing that. So going after a different niche in the market makes good sense IMO.

And I am totally confused why you say there is no crafting or social elements??? I swear,  its like you took all these criticisms of MMORPGs and threw them at ESO regardless of if they apply or not.

I don't look for TESO to have nice or even good PVP/RVR and the crafting looks laughable and tacked on, not something like you would expect or want from an mmo.

SWG, FE, EQ2 and LoTRO all have a form of crafting that would've been better suited.

As does ArcheAge....

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt TESO will fail simple reason being it's a lame themepark mmo with some elements of DAOC RvR. The players will ride the rides and then grow tired of the game it's just how it is with all these new themepark mmo's coming out.   TESO should first and foremost been a sandbox hybrid themepark .... look at ArcheAge as a perfect example of what TESO should have strived towards. Once people  ride the rides there is nothing to do in the game, no player housing, guild halls, crafting or other social elements to pass the time. They think people will just run dungeons over and over chasing the carrot for gear? Sorry but WoW already has this done and and ran it into the ground.   I personally won't play another mmo unless it gives me something else to do beside run dungeons and chase the carrot on stick loot grind.
    This post doesnt make sense. In particular, how you dismiss RvR. First you say its a themepark, then you admit it has 'elements' of RvR (it doesnt have 'elements', it has RvR, period), then you say there's nothing left to do except run dungeons???? Thats the whole point of the RvR: they are NOT going the WoW route of instanced raids and gear, they are going the DAoC route which is very different. Personally I think thats a wise choice because while it may alienate some players who dont like any type of PvP, I agree that copying WoW's endgame is a mistake because WoW does that very well and other games have tried and failed to out-WoW WoW. And yes, while WoW has done this and run it into the ground, they also have millions of subscribers who have been paying every month for years to keep doing that. So going after a different niche in the market makes good sense IMO. And I am totally confused why you say there is no crafting or social elements??? I swear,  its like you took all these criticisms of MMORPGs and threw them at ESO regardless of if they apply or not.
    I don't look for TESO to have nice or even good PVP/RVR and the crafting looks laughable and tacked on, not something like you would expect or want from an mmo.

SWG, FE, EQ2 and LoTRO all have a form of crafting that would've been better suited.

As does ArcheAge....

care to explain how the crafting looks "laughable and tacked on"?

personally, i think the crafting looks quite good judged by the info we have.

its really the only thing about this game i am pretty confident that will be good.

also, archeage will not be any more of a success than a themepark, you will find that out the hard way apparently.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176

TESO will fail simple reason being it's a lame themepark mmo with some elements of DAOC RvR.

The players will ride the rides and then grow tired of the game it's just how it is with all these new themepark mmo's coming out.

TESO should first and foremost been a sandbox hybrid themepark .... look at ArcheAge as a perfect example of what TESO should have strived towards.

Once people  ride the rides there is nothing to do in the game, no player housing, guild halls, crafting or other social elements to pass the time. They think people will just run dungeons over and over chasing the carrot for gear?

Sorry but WoW already has this done and and ran it into the ground.

I personally won't play another mmo unless it gives me something else to do beside run dungeons and chase the carrot on stick loot grind.

This post doesnt make sense. In particular, how you dismiss RvR. First you say its a themepark, then you admit it has 'elements' of RvR (it doesnt have 'elements', it has RvR, period), then you say there's nothing left to do except run dungeons???? Thats the whole point of the RvR: they are NOT going the WoW route of instanced raids and gear, they are going the DAoC route which is very different. Personally I think thats a wise choice because while it may alienate some players who dont like any type of PvP, I agree that copying WoW's endgame is a mistake because WoW does that very well and other games have tried and failed to out-WoW WoW. And yes, while WoW has done this and run it into the ground, they also have millions of subscribers who have been paying every month for years to keep doing that. So going after a different niche in the market makes good sense IMO.

And I am totally confused why you say there is no crafting or social elements??? I swear,  its like you took all these criticisms of MMORPGs and threw them at ESO regardless of if they apply or not.

As does ArcheAge....

Have fun in AA then?  Please elaborate on how TESO's crafting is?  Cause I sure as hell have yet to see an official Dev interview or gameplay that shows how Crafting is done and if you got some hidden wisdom on the finer workings of an unreleased core system then I would liek to know about it.

Or is it that you do not know and you are passing off your biased speculation as fact?  I would bet it would be the latter.

I would rather play a game that actually was fun, looked good, was innovative and tried to stay true to an original IP then play a game filled with things I consider "fluff" that do not appeal to me.

Hey look I can plant a crop and grow some tomatoes and build a structure that sits out in the world and offers no real reason other then to do it.  The majority of AA's system look more tacked on then anything I would think TESO is trying to accomplish but thats because I guess I am a Meat and Potatoes kind of gamer and I want my game to get the things that matter RIGHT!  The major systems of AA is nothing more then a WoW clone and that is a proven fact.  Linear quests, linear world, tab target "yawn" inducing combat.

SUP

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    Have fun in AA then?  Please elaborate on how TESO's crafting is?  Cause I sure as hell have yet to see an official Dev interview or gameplay that shows how Crafting is done and if you got some hidden wisdom on the finer workings of an unreleased core system then I would liek to know about it.

http://youtu.be/Ed2VZXMJo8Y

that is an interview with PS about the crafting and nothing about it screams "tacked on" or "laughable".

the fact that you can craft the best gear in the game contradicts that statement alone.

like i said before, IMO i feel more confident about TESO's crafting than probably any other feature in the game at this point.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    As I pointed out they went with rvr as a compromise.

I would play a fantasy eve thousands wouldn't.

I wouldn't touch a pure pve mmo. Or even a wow style queue to do instanced crap setup.

I find it difficult to imagine a fantasy Eve - insofar as it would have to incorporate a lot of elements Eve hasn't yet tackled.

Eve is a very good game, but some of its success relates to the fact the format is very straightforwards. First person single toon MMOs are very different beasts.

That's not to say some of the successful elements of Eve could not be adapted, but the end product, even with a very good dev team, would be significantly removed from what Eve is now.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by nate1980

All I've gotta say is when a developer claims to target a specific audience, they better pay attention to what the majority of that audience wants from said game. In this case, a TES game needs to be a TES game. Not a TES-esque game. 

I just read the Game Informer review on ESO and that guy is raving about how fun the game is and feels like TES, yet on the other hand admits that the game is far more linear than other TES games. You go from one quest hub to the next. I think this is probably the main storyline, but he says each area has some good side quests, area quests, and plenty of nuggets for explorers. The point being, when you change things that don't need changing in an IP series, fans get upset. They changed the way content is delivered, they've gated content and zones by level, they've melded TES/GW2 combat into one (IMO) craptacular model.

Low level is never a good judge of how a game plays. Also the devs have said you can wander off the quest hubs. There is lots of things to encounter in the open world and to explore. Most MMOs have quest hubs so they added them but thats not the end of things with ESO.

yes im hoping its just the starter zone, and they've made that more wow like to ease "acustomed mmo players" in.

hopefully it will open up and be more exploration and less quest driven later, like tes (and daoc).

This would seem most likely to me - but you never know...

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

[mod edit]

The main problem to me is that TES gameplay has always been about freedom of choice. TESO is non of that. It is a locked down generic piece of crap they are trying to wrap up in silk and spray perfume on.

[mod edit]

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I would rather play a game that actually was fun, looked good, was innovative and tried to stay true to an original IP then play a game filled with things I consider "fluff" that do not appeal to me.

I'd just like to comment on this one sentance.

Fun is subjective and will be something each individual has to judge.

Looks good? I've seen the beta footage and to me this doesn't look good. The character models aren't very inspiring and the animations are pretty bad in my opinion. Again though, this is something that is subjective.

Innovative? This one can't be applied to TESO because there's nothing here we haven't seen before. It's core premise is based on a 13 year old game. Where's the innovation?

As for staying true to the original IP, I think the very heated discussion we have going on here would be enough to convince anyone that many people think that TESO has failed in that regard. Arbitrary alliances to force an RvR system, faction locking, restricted PvE exploration and a strict class system are not true to the IP.

The only things they've kept from the original IP would seem to be names and geography.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by BloodyViking

[mod edit]

The main problem to me is that TES gameplay has always been about freedom of choice. TESO is non of that. It is a locked down generic piece of crap they are trying to wrap up in silk and spray perfume on.

[mod edit]

I really hope it won't happen. Playing SWTOR I finally understood what a themepark meant - everything was still and static and while leveling my Sith warrior was fun there wasn't much else to do there. I'd like to play TESO much longer.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Neverlift

If they did "daoc crafting", I don't think they will though they will do tes crafting.

The crafting would be much much more important than it is in lotro, EQ & eq2.

It wouldn't be as involved as swg though.
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I'd just like to comment on this one sentance.

Fun is subjective and will be something each individual has to judge.

Looks good? I've seen the beta footage and to me this doesn't look good. The character models aren't very inspiring and the animations are pretty bad in my opinion. Again though, this is something that is subjective.

Innovative? This one can't be applied to TESO because there's nothing here we haven't seen before. It's core premise is based on a 13 year old game. Where's the innovation?

As for staying true to the original IP, I think the very heated discussion we have going on here would be enough to convince anyone that many people think that TESO has failed in that regard. Arbitrary alliances to force an RvR system, faction locking, restricted PvE exploration and a strict class system are not true to the IP.

The only things they've kept from the original IP would seem to be names and geography.

Why argue subjectivism then?

DWUW doesnt look good but it gets players, gfx does not a game make.

Innovative because the game features freedom of exploration, Elder Scrolls like Points of Interest.  Innovative because it offeres the flexibility in Combat Mechanics with its resouce based mechanics instead of cooldown mechanics.  Innovative becasue any class can wear any armor or wield any weapon.  Innovative because Character progression is not tied to Class based systems or Skillless based trainers.  (IMO the single greatest innovative feature of the game)

The game stays true to the IP because the PvE world is an almost cut and paste of Skyrim, with some exceptions and deviations.  Adding an RvR PvP game ontop of seomethign does not take away from the original for 2 reasons:  First, Your PvE areas are greater in scope then any single player game and secondly PvP is needed in an MMO to appeal to a wider audience.  Now you could argue that another PvP model would maybe make more sense, but then you're getting into WoW clone any more or FFA PvP.  In the grand scheme of things, having an DAoC style PvP system makes more sense from a financial and innovative standpoint then the failed instanced battleground bullcrap of WoW or the niche FFA PvP systems of other games.  Thats it  3 types of PvP, so choose the one that is the best and has been done the least.

SUP

Although ffa with varying safety levels would feel more tes like.

But that would scare away a big chunk of people too.
    Likewise no pvp or wow crap would discourage another big chunk of players.

Hence they made a compromise and went for rvr.
    Although ffa with varying safety levels would feel more tes like.

But that would scare away a big chunk of people too.
    Likewise no pvp or wow crap would discourage another big chunk of players.

Hence they made a compromise and went for rvr.

Exactly.

Even though I would of preferred a "NO" PvP model that would not be conducive to appealing to a larger segment of gamers.  So in lieu of this, I'll take the PvP path less travelled.  A path that is arguably the best PvP  course of direction.  Does it fit the setting, I'll be the first to admit it doesn't, but it does make more economical sense.

SUP

I actually think it will work out better for pure pve players.

Nothing shows up class imbalances and generates nerf/buff whine like 5vs5 pvp matches does.

Nothing shows up class imbalances and generates nerf/buff whine like 5vs5 pvp matches does.

Yet another perfect aspect you bring up shaky.

SUP

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Developers no long just have fans, they have mobs that think they know better about game development then they and we create negitive feedback till they see it our way. Or else we will post something negitive in every thread and news outlet about the game. We drive away people thinking maybe our negitive thinking maybe true and often drive off new fans before any real reason is valid to do so. We dont have a product in had to be upset about.

This is the very problem actually. However, you attack it in the wrong sense. You put the onus on the customer to be a fan of the developpers while it is the developpers that should work to have fans. Sadly enough, most people would fare better as a developper in today's industry, if given the chance. Now obviously, they would also want to actually innovate and innovation scares investors and so most here will never be given the chance to show their skills.

The developper has no fans because they are not working for it. They simply recycle old stuff and try to pass it off as something new for the quick buck then they move on to the next target. TES fans wanted a TES game, be it MMO or multiplayer, they wanted TES. Instead, they will be getting old washed up stuff they've all played before and aren't playing now because they are fed up with it and you blame them for being vocal and voicing their deception?

You simply cannot blame the players because the developpers are creating a sub-par product to please someone's "Return on Investment". 

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I played both DAoC and Warhammer Online, both of which balanced classes on the rock / paper / scissors paradigm with large groups in mind, yet both suffered from more than their fair share of class nerfs in both PvP and PvE aspects despite this.  Just like any MMO that embraces the nerf bat, the consequences were quite visible as people shifted to the FOTM class or shifted to the more populated and or powerful faction or even just quitting from frustration.  Even the shining example of Eve has many a bad press due to nerfs.

I can't think of a game that I have played that offered PvP along with PvE, where the PvE didn't suffer horribly due to PvP "balancing".

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

I played both DAoC and Warhammer Online, both of which balanced classes on the rock / paper / scissors paradigm with large groups in mind, yet both suffered from more than their fair share of class nerfs in both PvP and PvE aspects despite this.  Just like any MMO that embraces the nerf bat, the consequences were quite visible as people shifted to the FOTM class or shifted to the more populated and or powerful faction or even just quitting from frustration.  Even the shining example of Eve has many a bad press due to nerfs.

I can't think of a game that I have played that offered PvP along with PvE, where the PvE didn't suffer horribly due to PvP "balancing".

The one criticism I've heard about ESO classes is that they are almost irrelevant starting points that can be ignored.

When everyone can be a rock, paper and/or scissor you just might be able to break away from the nerf cycles.

Here everyone can be ranged and melee and use any armor or any weapon and cast spells and have stealth. Should make it pretty easy when all youi have to do is balance abilities relative to each other without having to worry about "class balance" It's sort of like TSW in that respect.

But like in every game, players will figure out what build works best at the moment and fotm builds will appear and change as abiltites get balanced. The difference here is that everyone can use the new "best" abilities and go with the flow...or not. But no need to re-roll a new class.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• tropiktropik Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Good to hear the game is nothing like the Elder Srolls franchise. Judging by Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim i wouldn't want any of that especially in an MMO. Could you imagine players doing PvP? Left click Left Click Left Click Left Click...
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

Developers no long just have fans, they have mobs that think they know better about game development then they and we create negitive feedback till they see it our way. Or else we will post something negitive in every thread and news outlet about the game. We drive away people thinking maybe our negitive thinking maybe true and often drive off new fans before any real reason is valid to do so. We dont have a product in had to be upset about.

This is the very problem actually. However, you attack it in the wrong sense. You put the onus on the customer to be a fan of the developpers while it is the developpers that should work to have fans. Sadly enough, most people would fare better as a developper in today's industry, if given the chance. Now obviously, they would also want to actually innovate and innovation scares investors and so most here will never be given the chance to show their skills.

The developper has no fans because they are not working for it. They simply recycle old stuff and try to pass it off as something new for the quick buck then they move on to the next target. TES fans wanted a TES game, be it MMO or multiplayer, they wanted TES. Instead, they will be getting old washed up stuff they've all played before and aren't playing now because they are fed up with it and you blame them for being vocal and voicing their deception?

You simply cannot blame the players because the developpers are creating a sub-par product to please someone's "Return on Investment". 

In no way am I saying developers are not to blame for bad games but I am saying that more often then not gamers have impacted the game in a bad way. But making small mobs that spam so much negitve feedback its hard to tell where the bulk of the fans stand. Because of this Devs will change the direction of the game only to make the game worse off. Gamers are as much to blame now days. So much so I sometimes wonder, and I know I am not alone on this, that I think Devs should act like forums are not even out here. 

When we have the product in hand and put together as the Devs envisioned, then let the real feedback start. MMOs are so big till we really play it and I dont mean in a demo to level 6. Im talking getting to top level and playing with all the toys. We dont really get how all the systems impact the game and what the Devs are really trying to make. Even after MMOing for 15 years I have been socked sometimes on games I thought would suck and were a lot of fun. Devs and Gamers need to take as much blame now days for bad games.

Vorth
    Well in the case of warhammer it wasn't a pure rvr pvp model, it also had wow style battlegrounds and what have you.

But I've come across less class whine in pure rvr mmos (e.g. the ones with no minigames to escape into) like daoc and both planetsides than I have the likes of wow, gw and rift.

Not having arena / battlegrounds might be one of the best decisions they've made. People who like that kind of stuff are leaving for mobas and stuff like forge anyway.
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Which is why they should instigate, develop and implement early-development cycle PvP beta events where they concentrate hard on class balance and then put in the PvE stuff after they have cracked it.

• amalmer1amalmer1 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

"Oh no, theres instancing, tab targeting and GASP a hot bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LMAO....who really gives a flying fck?  Seriously..........Who really gives a sht if theres tab targeting? Ive used it for years and have zero problems continuing to do so.

Instancing? " Oh no, my immersion is lifting!!:"   silly children......get real, a five second loading screen is absolutley nothing, no big deal.......

These 'problems' are anything but problems.  Spoiled silly mmoers thinking they know how to design an mmo...

Somehow it seems that people have forgotten that there were load screens in Skyrim as well.

• amalmer1amalmer1 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by hammarus
    Perhaps we as a gaming culture have been burned so often that we are entitled to our hate.

Wrong..............Just wrong

Your expectations are unrealistic, as usual. You THINK you know better then everyone else. In reality, you have no idea....

Hate? lmao

I guess everyone is waiting for the perfect game that has no technology restrictions.

Maybe an "open world sanbox pvp, but you can only be attacked when you feel like it, with tons of end game content made by the devs which makes it not a sandbox anymore but thats ok, with no load times ever but that somehow doesnt affect performance, and you can pick up and manipulate every object in the game, because moving a pot in an npc house is the most important thing ever, and really in depth crafting that doesnt take you any time to do and you can make every single good item and enchantment yourself"

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by amalmer1
    Originally posted by hammarus
    Perhaps we as a gaming culture have been burned so often that we are entitled to our hate.

Wrong..............Just wrong

Your expectations are unrealistic, as usual. You THINK you know better then everyone else. In reality, you have no idea....

Hate? lmao

I guess everyone is waiting for the perfect game that has no technology restrictions.

Maybe an "open world sanbox pvp, but you can only be attacked when you feel like it, with tons of end game content made by the devs which makes it not a sandbox anymore but thats ok, with no load times ever but that somehow doesnt affect performance, and you can pick up and manipulate every object in the game, because moving a pot in an npc house is the most important thing ever, and really in depth crafting that doesnt take you any time to do and you can make every single good item and enchantment yourself"

MMOs are like houses. The selection of one is so personal no one can do it for you. We have been playing MMOs for so long now we know what we like from other games and almost build a dream team MMO in our minds and then go looking for it. I think as MMOers our expectations have become to high and look for every new MMO to have the polish of a 5 year game. We forget that even games like WoW launched with no end game content. We waited forever to get Molton Core. Its time we started judging MMOs on their core features and the game they could become. 

This discussion has been closed.