Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What would encourage you to start playing EVE?

1568101113

Comments

  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets London, LAPosts: 212Member Uncommon
    Ludicrous amounts of free time and a sado-masochistic streak for liking all my labour going up in pirate-induced flames?
  • JasonJJasonJ New Port Richey, FLPosts: 395Member
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by JasonJ

    Wait, so you asked what would encourage people to play EVE and cant figure out why people who dont play EVE are responding?!?

    With what you said in the OP and now this one...seems just like a troll now because you sure are not open to anything being said about the game.

     

    I was curious. For instance, I have no interest whatsoever in playing TOR; I don't spend any time at all reading or posting in the The Old Republic forum here.

    I can understand why he responded to the thread; I'm just not clear on how he saw the thread in the first place.

    More than likely just like me...the current forum activity page. It allows us to take part in topics in every forum. I do it because I actually believe that if someone is asking why I dont play, that they may actually want to know.

    I dont play FFA games for various reasons. Want me to play? offer up non-FFA servers. Its that simple, ask without applying base generalizations that come from ignorance. Non-FFA does not equal, give me gear grind. It means give me the option of not being gang raped by people with gang mentality and allow me to PvP when I want. Sure as hell dont want to be forced to whore myself for protection.

  • MisiuMisiu Jacksonville, FLPosts: 43Member

    I played EVE for a few years.  I loved the game still do, Just do not have time to invest like I used to.     Sadly I can not think of anything that would really help to bring me back.  Everything that comes to mind tends to make it more carebare and less EVE.   Which I think would ruin the game :-/

     

    Mabye something as simple as low sec jump gates have a field around them that make locking on to a Char more difficult.   Difficult enough that if I have to go AFK durring a 30 jump trip through low sec I have a damn good chance of making it without being podded.   The effect would only exist within say 20-30k of the gate for 0.5 sec and above systems?   Something along that line.  /shrug.   Not sure if that would take to much away from EVE or not but its all I can think of.

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member
    Originally posted by Misiu

    I played EVE for a few years.  I loved the game still do, Just do not have time to invest like I used to.     Sadly I can not think of anything that would really help to bring me back.  Everything that comes to mind tends to make it more carebare and less EVE.   Which I think would ruin the game :-/

     

    Mabye something as simple as low sec jump gates have a field around them that make locking on to a Char more difficult.   Difficult enough that if I have to go AFK durring a 30 jump trip through low sec I have a damn good chance of making it without being podded.   The effect would only exist within say 20-30k of the gate for 0.5 sec and above systems?   Something along that line.  /shrug.   Not sure if that would take to much away from EVE or not but its all I can think of.

     

    30 jumps AFK through lo-sec in safety?! The only way to do that would be to basically make the gate grid PvP-flag only, and I would oppose that idea to my dying breath. Sorry. Absolutely no way not ever.

    Honestly, just fly your ship manually; travel is far quicker that way, and if you use the Cloak-MWD technique, you're 99% safe even in travelling though lo-sec. There's no way you need to be routinely making 30-jump trips and there's no argument for balancing the game around AFK activity or an unwillingness to press two keys and click a mouse per system.

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member
    Originally posted by JasonJ
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by JasonJ

    Wait, so you asked what would encourage people to play EVE and cant figure out why people who dont play EVE are responding?!?

    With what you said in the OP and now this one...seems just like a troll now because you sure are not open to anything being said about the game.

     

    I was curious. For instance, I have no interest whatsoever in playing TOR; I don't spend any time at all reading or posting in the The Old Republic forum here.

    I can understand why he responded to the thread; I'm just not clear on how he saw the thread in the first place.

    More than likely just like me...the current forum activity page. It allows us to take part in topics in every forum. I do it because I actually believe that if someone is asking why I dont play, that they may actually want to know.

    I dont play FFA games for various reasons. Want me to play? offer up non-FFA servers. Its that simple, ask without applying base generalizations that come from ignorance. Non-FFA does not equal, give me gear grind. It means give me the option of not being gang raped by people with gang mentality and allow me to PvP when I want. Sure as hell dont want to be forced to whore myself for protection.

    In that case, there's no way you're ever going to play EVE, so why waste everyone's time? It's like you telling me I can date your sister if I pay for her to have a sex change. Your sister may well be quite attractive, but the condition attached makes achieving the objective pointless to me.

    Likewise I will never in a million years ask CCP to neuter what makes EVE special just so that you can add it to your list of games that you tried and then moved on to another one because MMOs are allt he same these days, why can't someone produce something different?

    PS It's laughably easy to avoid being "gang raped" in EVE. It does require a small amount of attention and a willingness to learn the game mechanics, though. In fact, if anything, it's almost too easy.

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon
    I've tried to play the game about  three times. "A root canal  is more fun "was my comment to the game company on why I left the last time.
  • ElgarLElgarL BristolPosts: 191Member

    I played a lot for a LONG time. Had two accounts and ran a corp of friends. Loved every minute of it...till the end.

     

    What ruined it for me was the CCP corruption.

    Devs fixing the lottery for friends.

    Allowing poeple to use disposable alts to gank in high-sec (even though it's against the rules).

    Refunding lost ships to friends and not others in indentical situations.

     

    The ONLY way I'd return to EVE is if they made High-Sec non PVP.

    image
    Creator of ELTank and Nostalgia

  • AyulinAyulin Mt marion, NYPosts: 334Member
    Originally posted by Malcanis

    However your post does highlight one important recurring issue: new players are given incorrect information which leads to the false perception that they can only ever be oppressed untermensch.  The skillpoint cap issue is another excellent example of this - skills are capped; you can only get them to level 5, and after you've maxed your skills for a ship, all you can do is diversify the range of ships you can fly. 

    CCP could do more to make it clearer that character advancement in EVE is fundamentally different from the level-based PvE grinders, and that "80 million skillpoints" doesn't mean "Can take on 10x 8 million skillpoint players and easily win even if drunk and naked" as it does in WoW type games.

    I see a lot of comments and complaints about Eve coming out of this as well. People assume Eve is just like most every other MMO, and that people who started years before them "will always have an advantage". This simply isn't true.

    Thing is, people have explained how it works myriad times. More times than I can begin to remember. There are videos I've seen linked showing a new player getting into high level PvP and actually being quite effective. People out there seem to ignore the explanations, just so they can keep bashing the game.

    When you go into Eve, you need to leave your understanding of level-based and gear-based progression at the door, because they don't apply. Most of what you learn in Eve is circumstantial.

     

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ayulin

    When you go into Eve, you need to leave your understanding of level-based and gear-based progression at the door, because they don't apply. Most of what you learn in Eve is circumstantial.

     

     

    That's one of the big problems, most themepark players are unable to think outside the themepark box.

     

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • idgaradidgarad NOwhere, MNPosts: 174Member

    Make factional warfare mandatory enlistment and no inter-faction combat. Pirates vs CaldariAmarr vs GallenteMinmatar. It gives a sense of stability for PvE players knowing they cannot be, combat wise, be double crossed by their own faction members. If forces alliances to be empire aligned making regions like Stain viable again for Pirate aligned corps.

    It compromises with PvE and PvP players. Effective allows us to eliminate lo-sec turning it into 0.0 and a merged null sec into a giant Factional warfare battleground with corps and alliances being fief holderslords of the kingdom's territories.

    By merging a mandatory FW and Null mechanics you can build actual communities with a base floor of safety among our peers. That might re-hab some of the sociopaths but after Mitten's death threats in the real world, far to much under-the-table RTM for moon mins' and CCP's blessing on such behavior I have no interest in giving a company money that thinks real world threats are acceptable.

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member
    Originally posted by idgarad

    Make factional warfare mandatory enlistment and no inter-faction combat. Pirates vs CaldariAmarr vs GallenteMinmatar. It gives a sense of stability for PvE players knowing they cannot be, combat wise, be double crossed by their own faction members. If forces alliances to be empire aligned making regions like Stain viable again for Pirate aligned corps.

    It compromises with PvE and PvP players. Effective allows us to eliminate lo-sec turning it into 0.0 and a merged null sec into a giant Factional warfare battleground with corps and alliances being fief holderslords of the kingdom's territories.

    By merging a mandatory FW and Null mechanics you can build actual communities with a base floor of safety among our peers. That might re-hab some of the sociopaths but after Mitten's death threats in the real world, far to much under-the-table RTM for moon mins' and CCP's blessing on such behavior I have no interest in giving a company money that thinks real world threats are acceptable.

    That's a gigantic compromise of player freedom; you're essentially enforcing NPC realm vs realm and deleting whole swathes of playstyles in order to reinforce one or two. That's a complete change of the whole basis of the game, and it would make EVE into something I'd have little interest in playing.

    You're basically describing a new game. Maybe someone will make your Dark Age Of Space Camelot one day, who knows?

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Blindchance

    I was tempted by EVE as it is said it's a game with a lot of game content and game mechanics to play around with. I believe I even tried the trail, but I didn't even make it beyond the tutorial. It felt slow, and overwhelming. Too many windows too little action / interaction ? It could be that it's simply not a game for me.

    The main worries I have is that, people who played this game for years are infinitely superior to the new comers and that the amount of fun I get out of this game is too small in comparision of free time it consumes.

    I like complexity and a lot of game content. It might be that in case of EVE there is simply too many spreadsheets and manuals to read and too much time wasted before you get your "this is fun" reward ;)

    If you think this game is holding your hand till you maxed out (which will never happen) you are indeed mistaken.

    This is also why many themepark players are put off as they expect a guide from start to finish, EVE becomes 'boring, many windows, spreadsheets' etc etc  and they leave. EVE is much more then a arcade themepark MMO.

    EVE has a learning curve, vets that played for many years are still learning and CCP keeps on changing/adding content.

    The worries about more advanced players is misplaced, yes they have access to more ships at start, or they finetuned their skills a bit more then you, but I can give you an example:

    A friend of mine left EVE for good, he sold all his characters -legally- on the forums, his main is a 150M+ SP character dating back to 2003-2004....a player who joined EVE recently bought it, thinking he had a uber character....his knowledge lacked however so he is on the lossboards repeatedly in the 'expensive losses' sections with that character, I managed to kill him in a humiliating way twice on a 10M sp alt of mine too.

    It's about the knowledge of the game...that goes for complexity too, if you can smell a good deal from far away, you won't need much spreadsheets, if you want help, you create them...personally I love them, I don't want a dumbed down arcade mmo like WOW is for example.....I want a challenge.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • TealaTeala SomewherePosts: 7,430Member Uncommon

    I have two huge complaints about EVE, and like you said, you don't want to hear something that might take a long time to implement.    I still do not understand why CCP cannot do more with avatars.    ::sigh::   This would go a long way to making EVE an all around better game.   Then we have mining.   Mining in EVE needs a total revamp.   From the ground up.    Whether you and other null sec players want to admit it, mining is a crucial part of EVE - ships don't get built without the miners out there doing their thing.   Would be nice if CCP paid as much attention to mining as they do other aspects of the game.  Oh and changing ore mineral content is not changing mining - that was a nerf to high-sec miners as the null sec players continue to do whatever they have to to try to get people to play in null sec.  Won't work, and all it will do is alienate and drive a bigger wedge between high and null sec players.

    Anyway...

    New player experince is one way to get players to stick around longer.    It is pretty sad that this really hasn't changed since the games release and people joining the game must still rely on tutorials outside the game to learn how to play and what to do next once they complete the tutorial.   Needs a complete revamp from the ground up. 

    One thing they could do is add more variations to missions.   How many times have you ran the Damsel In Distress?   CCP really needs to get a dedicated team of level designers that do nothing but add missions to the game. 

    ::sigh:: I really love the whole EVE universe...I just cannot stand the lack of avatar game play.  Why can they not give us actually station environments to interact with?   Lounges?  Business offices?   Conference rooms?   Add module rooms so we can customize our captains quaters?  View ports in our quarters?   Allow other players to be guest in our quarters?   Ugh...EVE would be such a killer game if they added avatar game play.

    I know...I have beat this horse to death.  Sorry. 

    I am just bidding my time for Star Citizen or similar game.   One that has balanced game play of both avatars and ships. 

     

    image
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Somewhere, CAPosts: 627Member Uncommon
    I can't stand the UI. I never feel like I'm playing a game when I've played EVE in the past. It's a good looking game, and the idea of it appeals to me, but the act of playing it frustrates the hell out of me because of the contextual menu-hell you have to go through to play it. 
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire AucklandPosts: 195Member Uncommon

    What would encourage you to start playing EVE?

    Consentual PvP and No Monthly Sub

     

     

  • chaintmchaintm Chicago, ILPosts: 972Member Common

    Will say it till my dying breath..

     

    Revamp the skill system so it isn't time paid = skill set.

     

    Allow people to actual advance in the game on skills set by doing missions and more. Put the power of the advancments into players hands. Stop making it "you have been in X amount of days you get X amount of skill points"... sure there are some ways (SOME) that allow you to advance, but most if all is still "wait a week a month or insert crappy time line" to advance to a point where it's fun.

    The vets will say "many have gone in as new started fine in competing and doing pretty well" , here's a news flash , Players don't want to do well, they want to do great things!

    However every vet in the game does not like this idea, why? think about it. Anywho they will never do this till there is basicly no population left, but in any stance at least the population there currently likes the game "as is".

    "The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

  • YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Originally posted by chaintm

    Will say it till my dying breath..

     

    Revamp the skill system so it isn't time paid = skill set.

     

    Allow people to actual advance in the game on skills set by doing missions and more. Put the power of the advancments into players hands. Stop making it "you have been in X amount of days you get X amount of skill points"... sure there are some ways (SOME) that allow you to advance, but most if all is still "wait a week a month or insert crappy time line" to advance to a point where it's fun.

    The vets will say "many have gone in as new started fine in competing and doing pretty well" , here's a news flash , Players don't want to do well, they want to do great things!

    However every vet in the game does not like this idea, why? think about it. Anywho they will never do this till there is basicly no population left, but in any stance at least the population there currently likes the game "as is".

    I agree. Eve's skill system is the worst aspect of the game, closely followed by the UI. Darkfall UW's system where you do achievments and get points to spend on your skills is much better.

  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire

    What would encourage you to start playing EVE?

    Consentual PvP and No Monthly Sub

     

     

    so battlegrounds and cash shop.

     

    Can't you just use PLEX and dock up when reds are reported in intel channel ?

    image

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member
    I will never understand why people are so attached to grinding.

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • atticusbcatticusbc Posts: 1,069Member Uncommon
    i've played EvE on and off for a few years, and i have finally come to the conclusion that there is just nothing attaching me to the world. that is, i don't feel like i'm in the game, i feel like i'm playing the game. no immersion, no sense of having done anything period. i don't feel like i interact with the universe at all in any real way. i just click a button and something happens on screen. so change that. make the game immersive somehow.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    I'd play if there were things to do other than fly spaceships around and mine.  Ground combat or something would be nice.

    You make me like charity

  • ChramChram sigilPosts: 91Member
    Originally posted by chaintm

    Will say it till my dying breath..

     

    Revamp the skill system so it isn't time paid = skill set.

     

    Allow people to actual advance in the game on skills set by doing missions and more. Put the power of the advancments into players hands. Stop making it "you have been in X amount of days you get X amount of skill points"... sure there are some ways (SOME) that allow you to advance, but most if all is still "wait a week a month or insert crappy time line" to advance to a point where it's fun.

    The vets will say "many have gone in as new started fine in competing and doing pretty well" , here's a news flash , Players don't want to do well, they want to do great things!

    However every vet in the game does not like this idea, why? think about it. Anywho they will never do this till there is basicly no population left, but in any stance at least the population there currently likes the game "as is".

    Your way of SP progression sounds excrutiatingly boring. In the current system, I can have fun from the very beginning. Train some skills while finishing tutorials and then I can immediately hop into RvB, faction warfare, play the markets etc. etc., myriads of possibilities. Under your system, I would be forced to grind SP, a thing that would become boring very, very fast. That's why the vets don't like the idea, they like to have fun and not feel forced to do anything. Shocking, I know.

    Also, if everyone could do great things, guaranteed, then those things wouldn't really be great, would they?

  • sexypanda198sexypanda198 Rockford, ILPosts: 151Member
    I tryed EVE but i was not impressed. Not bad game just not my cup of tea.

    image

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    I'd play if there were things to do other than fly spaceships around and mine.  Ground combat or something would be nice.

    There's this other game you should maybe know about...

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • chaintmchaintm Chicago, ILPosts: 972Member Common
    Originally posted by Krematory
    Originally posted by Four0Six

     1. I am not interested in joing a 10 year old game that awards xp based on time of account.....To my eyes I am forever 10 years behind.

    2. (red) I read too much bad bad bad publicity about the Goons and other corps making it very un-fun and exclisionary. Where the (red) comes in is that the OP is right out of the gate calling others stupid, making me wonder if all the publicity I see about the Goons is actually an acurate portrayal of EVE.

    1. I think you don't get it.

    2. Yeah, you don't.

    Nah he gets it, you just don't want to give it up and that is the core problem of eve.

    Not that I or anyone would expect a long time player to give up anything, but giving up the chance for others to become great as your character? No Way! Not in Our EvE! That's exactly how I read the response (any response) against changing the fundimental time sink that eve is.

    "The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

1568101113
Sign In or Register to comment.