Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep Expansion Set for Late 2013

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine has announced the next Lord of the Rings Online expansion. Called "Helm's Deep", the expansion will take players to the western reaches of Rohan to take part in the epic battle for the location of the same name. The level cap will be increased to 95 to accommodate the new content.

• Experience the Battle for Helm’s Deep – Fight to defend Helm’s Deep starting at level 10, as your character enlists as a soldier in the Battle of the Hornburg, the most massive conflict yet in The Lord of the Rings Online.  Earn rewards for your contribution to the war effort – win or lose, your aid makes a difference!

• Explore new landscapes across Western Rohan - Explore the Westemnet of Rohan and rally each of the five Ridings as Rohan returns to glory. Traverse the capital of Edoras, mysterious Dunharrow, and the fortress of the Hornburg, deep within Helm’s Deep.

• Advance from levels 85 to 95 - Experience 10 new levels, from 85 to 95, with new skills and completely updated class specializations. Both mounted and un-mounted combat will challenge you as you war against the evil of Saruman.

• Continue the Epic Story - Encounter beloved characters such as Aragorn, Éowyn, and Éomer. Restore King Théoden to his rightful lordship and defend the peoples of Rohan at Helm’s Deep.

Find out more on the Lord of the Rings Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I have been looking forward to this!
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

I put this out on Twitter... but it needs be said. If Turbine wants my money, the price has to be right, and they certainly have to give me some leeway to not be bombarded with ads. 

I do believe I should revisit my character then for a bit without needing to pay.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• doug200463doug200463 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Huzzah??? expansion too soon? I bet 1/2 the community hasnt even finished getting RoR raid gear ..what used to be a free update seems to me moved to the "Expansion" catagory, “With Helm’s Deep we bring the War of the Ring to you on a monumental scale" Kinda feels like mounted combat when they announced it... and look at the condition its in... i dont see why everyone gets so excited about this, its just more "features" that will need fixing, that wont ever be polished... think im over reacting!? ..its all in the track record.. Draigoch, Mounted combat, and now i BET YOU, Helms deep will be broken, & heavily monitized... even for VIPS! Save you money people! get it on sale after release..

This game is NOT free to play people! NOT AT ALL, Its a in your face interactive chart room, with billboards everywhere.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by doug200463
    Huzzah??? expansion too soon? I bet 1/2 the community hasnt even finished getting RoR raid gear ..what used to be a free update seems to me moved to the "Expansion" catagory, “With Helm’s Deep we bring the War of the Ring to you on a monumental scale" Kinda feels like mounted combat when they announced it... and look at the condition its in... i dont see why everyone gets so excited about this, its just more "features" that will need fixing, that wont ever be polished... think im over reacting!? ..its all in the track record.. Draigoch, Mounted combat, and now i BET YOU, Helms deep will be broken, & heavily monitized... even for VIPS! Save you money people! get it on sale after release..

well your right about not completing all of rohan on all my chars.dont know if i,m as pesimistic has you but i will give it a go.what i dont like is the speed these are coming at.you just get adjuted to the lvl your atand then this again.thats why i never ever go for end game gear..i just do the content what i can and fuck the rest..like raids.

i already knew about the class changes but has i say too quick.mounted combat i like it.in fact i would like a lot more of it.10 more lls though..its all getting a bit too much too quick.

• LyvinsLyvins Member Posts: 70

I believe this will be a chance for the game to get alot of its lost players back. The only thing i hope for is that they do not split up the expansion again. Meaning with a instance cluster being added later on. As i feel like i am paying sub fee, to this game for getting zero new content. That was already promised to us (theplayer) with the Rohan expansion. 

Before someone says something about the PVP: Stop believing you will get a new pvp zone, just enjoy what you have ^^

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

oh comonman! ive been struggeling to reach max level since soa. and ive never had a success and im so close to finally reach max level with ror... 

happy for you other player that have all the stuff from ror :)

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
    Hey im the 1st to admit Turbines mounted combat system is great! best i have played, If it worked properly... Yes yes, i know.. not everyone experiences this.. BUT know this, I upgraded my computer & opsys, NO CHANGE! the pc im running now EXCEDEDS suggested system specs, and i cannot moun t my warsteed and run through the game, W/O LAGGING or RUBBERBANDING! I love LORTO i WANT to play it! But with the release of ROR i feel ripped off, I havnt played in over 2 months, and i used to play DAILY 5-6 hours... AND NOW!! they want to try and double dip me, with 2 expansions that are WAY! TOO CLOSE! we should never ever get more than one expansion in a years time... i have said this before... It feels like Turbine is just release as much content as possible as quicklly as possible to milk us for as much money as possible.. I almost bet they will make a B-line for Mordor now.. no more of these free updates that take us to remote corners of the world anymore.. and once we get to mordor, i fear the game will die... or they will kill it...SAVE YOUR MONEY PEOPLE, BUY IT ON SALE!! Speak with your wallets! beaucse words dont mean anything to Turbine anymore! 
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

It sounds good, except I wonder how on earth they hope to manage big battles? the engine that runs LotRO was great back in the day but it's well behind the capabilities of newer ones. Even GW2 has had problems with accomodating all the players converging on a small area in WvW and that's a much newer game. I'm currently playing Defiance and I've never noticed any problems there no matter how many people turn up at an arkfall so it can be done.  However, I don't think LotRO has had any major changes to the game engine since launch six years ago and remember them trying and failing to run in game events for large numbers of players at the end of beta and everyone got locked up in one near Trestlebridge that took hours to fix. I haven't been playing for the past year but if they've ever tried that sort of thing again it's been when I wasn't around.

I've got a life time subcription and thousands of TP's to spare but I just haven't found the enthusiasm to go back to LotRO even for one minute since I started playing GW2. I'd like to think I could enjoy it again but I think it's best days are in the past.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Just pure content? No new features or classes? Not that that's a bad thing.. good for the current players but not enough to make me want to go back.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Just pure content? No new features or classes? Not that that's a bad thing.. good for the current players but not enough to make me want to go back.

I dont think we will see any new classes ever in lotro.. sadly

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    I really do love the lore and content coming out for this game but I just cant get on with the payment model of the game. Which is a shame really. 

Originally posted by Lyvins

I believe this will be a chance for the game to get alot of its lost players back. The only thing i hope for is that they do not split up the expansion again. Meaning with a instance cluster being added later on. As i feel like i am paying sub fee, to this game for getting zero new content. That was already promised to us (theplayer) with the Rohan expansion. 

Before someone says something about the PVP: Stop believing you will get a new pvp zone, just enjoy what you have ^^

They have been splitting the instances up since ROI, this is the way of things, i seriously doubt they will change that, And I dont blame them, they do not want you to race through the content at hight speed, for you to just get bored in two months. BUT  i am not a raider or even a dungeon runner.. beacuse these spaces have become nothing but a dance routine.. not fun, dont do the dance properly and your done.. no two ways about it, not to mention.. the rewards are lack luster.. I want to see gear drop.. not tokens... i realize the token system is in place so everyone gets something, but tokens alone are not exciting enough for me to do end game content, most of the fun of doing raids and dungeons is the excitment to see what drops.. when you know what is going to drop, that excitment is gone.. and so is the drive to run these things.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I've been waiting for helms deep to be added since the game launched.  Lucky for me, I won't pay a dime for it, since I can use the points I have saved up from my lifetime sub to buy it for free :D
  • d33daved33dave Member UncommonPosts: 12
    whoot more broken and half done content at a premium price!
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Looking forward to this. I've always been a fan of LOTRO and can't wait to see Helm's Deep in game!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

This game is NOT free to play people! NOT AT ALL, Its a in your face interactive chart room, with billboards everywhere.

The majority of LOTRO players don't strike me as the type to care much about the raid content, let alone completing it before the next expansion.

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

Oh boy more Kill X Orcs and bears quests and 900 "prove your worth to this village" quests

Lotro must have the most boring quests in mmo history

Didn't RoR just come out? It's still being sold at full price too. Turbine is incredibly greedy and scummy

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Deeter

Oh boy more Kill X Orcs and bears quests and 900 "prove your worth to this village" quests

Didn't RoR just come out? It's still being sold at full price too. Turbine is incredibly greedy and scummy

I am sorry but you are completely wrong. It is usually not kill bears but KILL x PIGS

I have been killing pigs for the last 4-5 years and their population still seems to be the same. Every new zone added seems to be bringing more Pigs to kill... The real danger to these lands are not the Orcs goblins etc..it is the PIGS!

I would like to thank the developers for adding new pigs at every new zone, I keep paying $30-40 per expansion so I can have even higher level pigs to kill at different zones. I have to go now and kill even more pigs. I would like to suggest that developers release another expansion $50 called "Rise of the pigs". They really dont have to do much, all they have to do is just level up the pigs 5 more levels, change the color of the skin a little bit and rename the mob from "Rohan Pig" to "Super Pig"....you know, like they do at every expansion :)

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Hate to say it, but Turbine will never see my money again after the Isengard xpac. Lotro is pure P2W, crafting has been dumbed-down to WoW level, and the mounted combat is a joke.

I look forward to the Tolkien estate reminding Turbine what they orginally set out to do in the beginning or get shut down after the lawsuit settles. 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by Vannor Just pure content? No new features or classes? Not that that's a bad thing.. good for the current players but not enough to make me want to go back.  
    I dont think we will see any new classes ever in lotro.. sadly

Yep, Rune Keepers pretty much guaranteed that.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Funny, I think I have spent, about $75 on this game in 6 years of play and I have two accounts at that.  Try doing that in some of these other FPS titles with far lesser quality.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Funny, I think I have spent, about $75 on this game in 6 years of play and I have two accounts at that.  Try doing that in some of these other FPS titles with far lesser quality.

One, what does that say about the quality of the game if that is all you have spent in the last 6 years?  Two, how can Turbine survive financially with gamers like you?

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Originally posted by cagan
    Originally posted by Deeter

I am sorry but you are completely wrong. It is usually not kill bears but KILL x PIGS

I have been killing pigs for the last 4-5 years and their population still seems to be the same. Every new zone added seems to be bringing more Pigs to kill... The real danger to these lands are not the Orcs goblins etc..it is the PIGS!

I would like to thank the developers for adding new pigs at every new zone, I keep paying $30-40 per expansion so I can have even higher level pigs to kill at different zones. I have to go now and kill even more pigs. I would like to suggest that developers release another expansion $50 called "Rise of the pigs". They really dont have to do much, all they have to do is just level up the pigs 5 more levels, change the color of the skin a little bit and rename the mob from "Rohan Pig" to "Super Pig"....you know, like they do at every expansion :)

Heheheh,, ROFL! I mean, I like lotro,, but still....heheh.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I dont miss LoTRO one iota tbh.....Highest i ever got was 38 and that was excrutiating.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Krelian
    Originally posted by cagan

Heheheh,, ROFL! I mean, I like lotro,, but still....heheh.

And don't forget the video where a bunch of chickens (session play) jumped onto a boar (lol)

or the first time when you as a newbie searched every corner of Evendim for a pig to hunt down (great quest)

or the Pork-chopper title... yep, I guess there's some truth in the mock name Lord of the Pigs Online :)