Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who hate Mark Jacobs

belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264

I know you're out there - I know several myself.

This is it. Here's your chance.

You think he's a terrible designer, a liar, and a horrible human being. Let's prove it.

For $25, you can help get this game funded and see him put his foot in his mouth.

From what has been said about TOA, Mark was already in a more administrative role - and definitely for warhammer's implementation. Being a studio head is a lot of paper.

So he laid out the initial design for DAOC and saw it to completion. Many people quite enjoyed this.

Then more an more admin stuff, as one might expect, around the time things took a 'turn'

Then he laid out WAR but got drawn up by the EA thing, and we saw how that ended up.

Yes, he takes the fault for that, and as the head honcho a lot of that responsibility is on him - but he's not the only person making these games, and in many cases was probably quite removed from the action.

So here's your chance. Put him back in the driver's seat. If you really think he'll fail it out, isn't $25 worth never seeing him again after this game flops?

What is the worst case? He designs a game that you like and you are wrong about him? Oh noes.

He wins: you win

He fails: you win

Comments

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Whos mark jacobs?
  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    /palmface
  • JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by belatucadros

So he laid out the initial design for DAOC and saw it to completion. Many people quite enjoyed this.

Clearly...just look at how many DaoC players are backing him...1 in every 25?

That clearly shows that not many DaoC players are looking back with rose colored glasses and know the game for what it is, one that was fun at the time but doesnt stand up in the genre as a whole. Makes giving money to someone that has clearly not grown as a designer seem a waste.

P.S. Stop sounding so damn desperate, makes the hardcore DaoC crowd look really really really bad.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol pots and kettles spring to mind
  • belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by JasonJ

That clearly shows that not many DaoC players are looking back with rose colored glasses and know the game for what it is, one that was fun at the time but doesnt stand up in the genre as a whole. Makes giving money to someone that has clearly not grown as a designer seem a waste.

P.S. Stop sounding so damn desperate, makes the hardcore DaoC crowd look really really really bad.

I think it's fair to say that all of the DAOC crowd isn't entirely aware, and given the age of the game may not even be in the MMO space anymore. I technically wasn't.

I just hear so many people that want to show me on the doll where Mark Jacobs touched them, when really, I would wager he wasn't that involved for most of what they are complaining about. Especially in the case of WAR.

Y'all need to relax.

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165

I think it's fair to say that all of the DAOC crowd isn't entirely aware, and given the age of the game may not even be in the MMO space anymore. I technically wasn't.

I just hear so many people that want to show me on the doll where Mark Jacobs touched them, when really, I would wager he wasn't that involved for most of what they are complaining about. Especially in the case of WAR.

Y'all need to relax.

It's not that I'm not backing the game because of this Mark Jacobs guy, I'm not backing the game because I could give a rat's ass about an RvR game based on a dinosaur of an MMO.

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    if you look at the posts of ppl who hate MJ i'm glad they are not funding because there is more chance I won't need to see them destroying community in game.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

DAoC pre SI stands miles above almost all modern MMORPGs in what it acomplished. It had nearly perfect game design. As for WAR, I'll always blame EA and the pressure to reach WoW numbers as for why that burned.

Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey

Y'all need to relax.

I'm not backing the game because of this Mark Jacobs guy, I'm not backing the game because I could give a rat's ass about an RvR game based on a dinosaur of an MMO.

Yea... look at the crafting system, so far only thing that will be similar is combat system. It's not daoc2 its not based on daoc. It takes good things from daoc and because of crafting and no PvE progress changes dramatically game industry.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I grade you an F for effectiveness but an A+ for creativity.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Y'all need to relax.

Really? Really? That is the route you are going to go?

Last time I checked there was this little kickstarter a few weeks before CUs started for a game called Shroud of the Avatar, you know...that game based on Ultima? It got its funding didnt it? Backed by how many? 22,322 people...for a game that goes back much farther than DaoC. Actually, take into account the funding from its offical site and its 23,892 backers and 2.195 million...

Your excuses, are fail...much like Jacobs outdated ideas for the basis of the game. Rose colored glasses man...take them off.

What you should be trying to do is get MARK JACOBS to get off his backside and do what he did LEADING up to the kickstarter and get out and push via interviews, blobs, videos on youtube and everything else he can do...thats what Richard Garriott did. he pushed and pushed and pushed and kept himself and the kickstarter in the spotlight and did so by focusing on mostly NEW IDEAS and INNOVATIONS. He showed his passion, Jacobs came off more like he was trying to get a feel if anyone in the market still cared for his 13 year old game design.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

I know you're out there - I know several myself.

This is it. Here's your chance.

You think he's a terrible designer, a liar, and a horrible human being. Let's prove it.

For $25, you can help get this game funded and see him put his foot in his mouth.

From what has been said about TOA, Mark was already in a more administrative role - and definitely for warhammer's implementation. Being a studio head is a lot of paper.

Then more an more admin stuff, as one might expect, around the time things took a 'turn'

Then he laid out WAR but got drawn up by the EA thing, and we saw how that ended up.

Yes, he takes the fault for that, and as the head honcho a lot of that responsibility is on him - but he's not the only person making these games, and in many cases was probably quite removed from the action.

So here's your chance. Put him back in the driver's seat. If you really think he'll fail it out, isn't $25 worth never seeing him again after this game flops?

What is the worst case? He designs a game that you like and you are wrong about him? Oh noes.

He wins: you win

He fails: you win

It's getting embarassing now. Please stop.
  • JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    The forum section for this game.. well rather concept as it's not even a game... never fails to amuse me.

Originally posted by meddyck
    I grade you an F for effectiveness but an A+ for creativity.

Y'all need to relax.

Last time I checked there was this little kickstarter a few weeks before CUs started for a game called Shroud of the Avatar, you know...that game based on Ultima? It got its funding didnt it? Backed by how many? 22,322 people...for a game that goes back much farther than DaoC. Actually, take into account the funding from its offical site and its 23,892 backers and 2.195 million...

Your excuses, are fail...much like Jacobs outdated ideas for the basis of the game. Rose colored glasses man...take them off.

What you should be trying to do is get MARK JACOBS to get off his backside and do what he did LEADING up to the kickstarter and get out and push via interviews, blobs, videos on youtube and everything else he can do...thats what Richard Garriott did. he pushed and pushed and pushed and kept himself and the kickstarter in the spotlight and did so by focusing on mostly NEW IDEAS and INNOVATIONS. He showed his passion, Jacobs came off more like he was trying to get a feel if anyone in the market still cared for his 13 year old game design.

I am bad at internets and can't write text in between the two multi-quotes without damaging things, so ty meddyck. That is exactly what I was going for. This post has been brought to you by the IRC channel and the letter R

re: Jason, no, I have never heard of that game. Tell me more about it please. I don't even understand. Why is virgin making an MMO? I thought they were focused on space stuff now.

re: Jason, no, I have never heard of that game. Tell me more about it please. I don't even understand. Why is virgin making an MMO? I thought they were focused on space stuff now.

And that is why you fail. Couldnt even admit that Jacobs is failing at pushing his own idea now by not being out giving interviews every day, promoting his game on social media sites and being a decent salesmen...he was doing fine at the start...and since has almost disappeared. Its his own fault, from the base game design to selling the idea.

maybe I just don't understand. Didn't he do an interview just a few days ago with some other site? massively maybe?

I've seen all sorts of interviews out there. Do you want links? I am glad to act as your own personal google, sir.

So this SOA, what is the premise? I'm really excited if it's as old as ultima, because I like vintage stuff. I'm going to look into this and maybe pledge some money. Can I get a house on a mountain?

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Mark Jacobs...the guy who created DAOC and Warhammer Online; and of which both games STILL require a subscription of $15 each month, both games have not experienced a graphics update, you do not read anything in the news about both games because frankly nothing has been done to either of them for a LONG time.

DAOC fared better than Warhammer Online, much better...but with Warhammer Online being his most recent project in his resume, and how he bailed after he hosed it and remains hosed till this day...

I do not get excite about anything he says, because....3 years from now we will hear the same old excuses he gives for Warhammer Online.

SHOULDA WOULDA COULDA

maybe I just don't understand. Didn't he do an interview just a few days ago with some other site? massively maybe?

I've seen all sorts of interviews out there. Do you want links? I am glad to act as your own personal google, sir.

So this SOA, what is the premise? I'm really excited if it's as old as ultima, because I like vintage stuff. I'm going to look into this and maybe pledge some money. Can I get a house on a mountain?

Richard Garriott was doing many interviews every single day, blogs, podcasts, youtube videos, streams FROM the studio with the other developers...heck, they had an hour long stream of an overhead of one of the artists just drawing ideas...lol.

He really pushed it...Jacobs is doing next to nothing and is not coming off as a good salesmen. He and his team or at least his partner should be all over every single gaming site, social media site there is. If people dont know about what he is doing, its HIS fault because he is the one pushing it.

Its almost as if he doesnt understand what social media is for...

As for SOA...read for yourself.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

Not going into detail because im not going to hijack your thread with it.

Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Mark Jacobs...the guy who created DAOC and Warhammer Online; and of which both games STILL require a subscription of $15 each month, both games have not experienced a graphics update, you do not read anything in the news about both games because frankly nothing has been done to either of them for a LONG time.

DAOC fared better than Warhammer Online, much better...but with Warhammer Online being his most recent project in his resume, and how he bailed after he hosed it and remains hosed till this day...

I do not get excite about anything he says, because....3 years from now we will hear the same old excuses he gives for Warhammer Online.

SHOULDA WOULDA COULDA

daoc graphic engine was upgraded about 4 times when he was in charge. 

He is not working on WAR and he is not working on DAOC anymore. How can you accuse sb of something when he is not even in charge of that anymore wtf?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Sadly SOA isn't a UO style mmo, its some sort of cooprpg

Mark Jacobs was doing many interviews every single day, blogs, podcasts, youtube videos, streams FROM the studio with the other developers...heck, they had an hour long stream of an overhead of one of the artists just drawing ideas...lol.

Fixed that for you

Listen my good friend Zach from IRC and I were just discussing and I really think you haven't bothered to look at any of the CU information out there. Michelle's 4 hour art livestream certainly fits into your criteria up there, not to mention all the andrew stuff.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Joekra
    The forum section for this game.. well rather concept as it's not even a game... never fails to amuse me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BwwzqNb3g

You want to just look away.... but you can't can you?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I don't hate Mark Jacobs and have not played DAOC. 

I also don't buy games before release and I don't buy MMOs before I have a chance to play and experience them first hand. I had loads of fun in crappy MMOs and got bored to death in many good ones that just didn't strike the right tone. I pay if I find the game fun. 

The above is exactly why I never intend to pay for a game that does not even exist. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Locked because:

There have been many 'reasons why you should fund this game' threads around. And you're essentially creating a duplicate topic.

And also because the title and premise of the first post is rather inflammatory as presented. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.