Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starter Kit Change a week before launch

nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

I have been keeping an eye on the official forums and it looks as though people that bought the Starter Kit are getting screwed over a week before launch they have changed the bag so it's now one per account instead of per character....

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?141621-Starter-Kit-change

Hope lot's didn't pay 20$ for that bag, very underhanded if this is not a mistake on there part.....

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

This is a bit sketchy.  What I think we have here is a reader's misinterpretation (or the poster's lack of articulation) of what was put in the original.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130311011459/http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack/

Here we have the original archive whereby it says: "12 extra inventory slots for all of your characters to hold your loot".

It has since been changed to: "12 extra inventory slots for one of your characters to hold your loot".

When I first read this way back I knew that it was only one bag of which all characters are able to put their loot into.  I believe this is just to emphasize that this is the case as many where probably confused into thinking all characters will get a bag.

Let's see what will happen if we add a single letter to the original post.

"A 12 extra inventory slots for all of your characters to hold your loot".

This simple change will show that it was in fact only one bag (my original interpretation of such) for all characters to send to and hold their items.

What will come of this misunderstanding I know not; they will probably revert it and make it so every character gets an extra slot if they bought it before they made the edits for clarification simply because of potential bad press.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    They have made an ambiguous statement that can clearly be read as 'each and every character gets 12 extra slots', therefore, they should honour this.  
  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Looks like the wording has been changed several times.  This one explicitly says "per character."

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=221&d=1360986957

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Eww, very shady and disappointing. The "50$ Value" text next to this kit looks even more like a bad joke now. I didn't buy any of the packs, but this could give me a good reason to skip this game altogether.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    12 slots per character would have been more in line with the cost of the packs, this is their way of saying "FU" we want more money out of you suckers.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Eww, very shady and disappointing. The "50$ Value" text next to this kit looks even more like a bad joke now. I didn't buy any of the packs, but this could give me a good reason to skip this game altogether.

In their defense, they have been really cool about issuing refunds to those who asked for them.  It's been a relatively smooth process as well for those I asked.  In addition they increased what you get in the Guardian and Hero Tiers even for those who bought it before they added all the new stuff; it doesn't not really save them from a potential bait and switch scandal, but it has gone both ways if this is the case.

Just something that needs to be watched.  That thread was posted a couple hours ago, so they're probably doing a bit of research themselves if it was a mistake.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

It's not the first time they do this, they messed around with the HoTN pack and drows too. Sad to see it's becoming a habit. Hopefully they will fix this for those that did purchase the starter kits.

IF I may suggest peeps that bought the Guardian pack need to check first thing that they are getting the right horse. It's suppose to be a level 3 horse that doesn't need to be leveled or upgraded.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    And they've just assured that I'm never going to give this game, or any of PWE's products, another look. Call me crazy but I'm not going to do business with companies that change terms of sale on a whim. That's called fraud, I believe.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    12 slots per character would have been more in line with the cost of the packs, this is their way of saying "FU" we want more money out of you suckers.

good point

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Official response is up-

Hey everyone,

The original text for the Starter Pack tooltip was incorrect. There was some miscommunication which lead to us believing that the bag would work for all characters, when it was only being hooked up to work for one character. We decided to change the tooltip to prevent further individuals from buying the pack expecting to receive a bag for all of their characters, rather than just the one.

The Hero of the North Pack will grant one Bag of Holding per character on your account. Starter Packs, of which you can purchase multiple, will grant one Bag of Holding to a single character.

If you would like a refund because of this tooltip change, please contact Customer Service. Please specify this change as the reason that you are requesting a refund, as it will speed along your request.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?141621-Starter-Kit-change/page15

CS Addy if you want refund https://support.perfectworld.com/

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by augustgrace

Official response is up-

Hey everyone,

The original text for the Starter Pack tooltip was incorrect. There was some miscommunication which lead to us believing that the bag would work for all characters, when it was only being hooked up to work for one character. We decided to change the tooltip to prevent further individuals from buying the pack expecting to receive a bag for all of their characters, rather than just the one.

The Hero of the North Pack will grant one Bag of Holding per character on your account. Starter Packs, of which you can purchase multiple, will grant one Bag of Holding to a single character.

If you would like a refund because of this tooltip change, please contact Customer Service. Please specify this change as the reason that you are requesting a refund, as it will speed along your request.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?141621-Starter-Kit-change/page15

CS Addy if you want refund https://support.perfectworld.com/

Very noble of them.

SUP

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

They handled it pretty well, but on the other hand, they should've notified the customers of this change themselves, especially if it was a real correction. We'll see if they'll have the decency to send e-mail notifications about this change to everyone who bought this pack.

• Revy106Revy106 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    lmao welcome to those of you who do not know perfect world "entertainment" and cryptic studios ....
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by Scalpless

They handled it pretty well, but on the other hand, they should've notified the customers of this change themselves, especially if it was a real correction. We'll see if they'll have the decency to send e-mail notifications about this change to everyone who bought this pack.

They handled it pretty well ? Seriously ? The correct course of action is what you state above , with the addition of a full refund so they can have a choice to choose the new option. Anything short of this is fraud and opens them to legal action. It can also bring the FCC down on them, if a complaint is lodged. This is however become too common place practice with Cryptic, mediocre company mediocre product and very questionable business practices.

• george99george99 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I've been following this game for a while and I read it as one character since I took time to look into them. It's the whole reason I didn't get that pre-order.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I for one applaud PWE for offering free refunds to anyone just based on a tooltip missinterpretation. It's very noble of them, and I haven't seen any game to date doing this kind of generous thing.

One more point for them in shutting the mouths of the rabid haters.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Good they are pushing out the refund policy. Really though, their founder packs are a huge rip off IMO. It just feels so lack luster. The $20 start pack, even if giving it to every character, just fetl rather underwhelming in itself. I enjoyed the game and I'd of payed for it maybe but the benefits they give is just so pathetic to me its not worth spending cash on it. At least PoE I got early access for the lowest package and the points (obviously) this just feels so iffy.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

I for one applaud PWE for offering free refunds to anyone just based on a tooltip missinterpretation. It's very noble of them, and I haven't seen any game to date doing this kind of generous thing.

Yeah, because they basically knew from the ranting in the thread that if they didn't offer refunds people were gonna go balistic so I don't really see that as a plus for the company but that's just my opinion......

I still there think there damn cash shop prices are too high but.....

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Yeah, because they basically knew from the ranting in the thread that if they didn't offer refunds people were gonna go balistic so I don't really see that as a plus for the company but that's just my opinion......

I still there think there damn cash shop prices are too high but.....

They have been offering refunds prior to this.  Regardless of what anyone may think of them as a company, they have always demonstrated good customer service and given refunds on prepurchases with just a support ticket.  Never had an issue with Cryptic or PWE when it came to refunds.  So I do not understand why anyone would be upset.  If you don't like what comes in it, then don't buy it or get a refund.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• KaspanovaKaspanova Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Fair play if they are offering refunds. Can't QQ over that
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    When are you allow to play when you buy the starter kit?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    This is why I don't play PW games.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

This! ^^

The game is barely out of the starting blocks and they are trying to con and milk the players already, sad really!

Starting to wish I'd not jumped in (again! You would have thought I'd have known better after getting bit by Simshity).

Never trust a FTP game, kids! :(

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!