Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to kick a party member who goes offline during a dungeon, replace him, and finish the

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
I was just doing Twilight Arbor story mode.  An hour and a half in, we were at the very end, but one of the group members went offline.  We waited for a few minutes, and he didn't come back.  So we had the idea to kick him from the group and replace him.  Unfortunately, kicking him crashed the instance and kicked everyone out, and reset it when we went back in.  Is that the way it's supposed to work, to make it so that party members are irreplaceable?  Is that a known bug?  Or did my group just get unlucky?

Comments

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

I haven't quite figured that out yet.  I have had the same thing happen but I have also kicked people and replaced them.  it may have to do with being the leader, it may just be a bug.  I was running a series of dungeons with the same group the other night and we started our fourth dungeon and I was put in my own instance while everyone else was put in a different one.  I jumped on another character went in to the dungeon and it took me to thier dungeon instance.  I then switched to the original character and all was well.    Not sure what it is but it does need a bit of work.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    yes as long as they didn't start it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    If you have kicked and replaced people, then crashing and resetting the instance at least isn't working as intended.  But if it's happened to you, too, then it sounds like an actual bug, and not just bad luck that the server chose that particular moment to crash.
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    yes as long as they didn't start it.

So whoever starts an instance cannot be kicked without crashing it?  That sounds like a rather nasty bug if that's the case.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    This is not a bug. They had a problem with players kicking out other players on the last boss to get their buddies free loot. So it works now where if you kick someone that far in, it resets the whole thing. The fact that he was offline should of made a difference, but it's probably an oversight on A-nets part. I reccomend you post about it in a constructive/informative way on the official forums so they can adjust that to not happen when the kicked player is offline. Sorry this happened to you though. :(

not a bug. Who starts the dungeon has the power in this regard. So big tip never let a pug start the dungeon. I usually enter before even posting for group but I try to run with guildies who aren't going to rage quit  or something else....
    Originally posted by Maelzrael
    This is not a bug. They had a problem with players kicking out other players on the last boss to get their buddies free loot. So it works now where if you kick someone that far in, it resets the whole thing. The fact that he was offline should of made a difference, but it's probably an oversight on A-nets part. I reccomend you post about it in a constructive/informative way on the official forums so they can adjust that to not happen when the kicked player is offline. Sorry this happened to you though. :(

That at least makes some sense.  But to be unable to kick a group member who is offline and has been offline for several minutes sounds like a rather glaring oversight.

Are you sure of this? I'm pretty sure you can kick players at anytime as long as they arent the one who started the dungeon. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

That's what I had heard but who knows if it's true.  It really sounds like something that coudl be exploited.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    as ppl above said. make sure to not kick the one who started.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I see this as poor party design. If the leader is a**ho** or he/she have network problems, or rl problems, why should the rest suffer? meh...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by mazut

I see this as poor party design. If the leader is a**ho** or he/she have network problems, or rl problems, why should the rest suffer? meh...

Because.. as others have said, people were exploiting it to ninja loot.

Honestly, though, the number of times this has created a problem for me I can count with 1 hand. And I run these dungeons fairly regularly.

If you're worried about grouping w/ A-Holes, then it really pays to start working on your friends list. Most people won't ditch at the end of a dungeon, and there's only 2 dugeons that are long enough to make that a decent set-back. The rest can all be completed in 5-30mins depending on the dungeon.

- Not saying the way they have it implemented is the best approach, but the downsides are fairly negligable atm.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

They should indeed fix this.

Also hoping they will put in a dungeon finder. It really is a pain to spam for the less popular dungeons. CoF is easy to get groups for, but it takes forever if you want to find a group for a different dungeon. Would be nice if you could get a group while doing other things, rather than being bored in Lions Arch spamming away. Soooo social.

I was the one who started the party and did the recruiting for it.  If there was a party leader in any meaningful sense, it was me.  I wasn't the one who went offline and needed to be kicked.

But what people are saying is that being the party leader in any sense that is meaningful to players doesn't matter.  What matters is who is the first to step inside the instance--which likely won't be the party leader, who is still off recruiting trying to fill the group.  Or perhaps rather, whoever starts the party could be the first one in, but at the expense of being unable to recruit in map chat and making it harder to fill the group.  I certainly hope that's not the case, as it would be astoundingly bad game design if true, and a very strange glitch to last this long without being fixed if it's a bug.

I'm 99% sure of my previous post yes, I read the patch notes every patch, even the littles ones, and I recall this being implemented sometime around when Flame and Frost first came out. If I wasnt so lazy i'd try to find the specific patch notes for you guys, but I definatly remember reading it.

Also it is true that if you kick the one who started the dungeon the same thing happens, regardless of when, If someone wants to find the specifics of this, I recommend starting with the Feburary patch notes.

It's definatly something that needs to be worked on though, You should be able to kick someone who's been offline for say 5 minutes or more no matter what.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

This isn't true.

Whoever creates the instance can not be kicked. The instance creator also can not switch characters.

Why? Story mode completion is character bound.

Let's say you completed AC story on one character but not on another. You could go to that character, start the instance, and switch to the other character. There would be no point in ever doing a story instance more than once. Ever. It's hard enough finding a group for story mode as it is.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by Vorch

This isn't true.

Whoever creates the instance can not be kicked. The instance creator also can not switch characters.

Let's say you completed AC story on one character but not on another. You could go to that character, start the instance, and switch to the other character. There would be no point in ever doing a story instance more than once. Ever. It's hard enough finding a group for story mode as it is.

I'm sorry for not includeing this, I was refering to explore mode only, I suppose I should go find the patch notes to provide evidence of my post.. If i get bored I will.. lol. My understanding is if you're on the last boss and you kick anyone the dungeon will close and you will have to start over. I'm by no means an expert on this, it's just what I remember reading in one of the patch notes a few months ago.

Originally posted by Vorch

This isn't true.

Why does it matter who creates the instance?  Wouldn't exactly the same argument apply to everyone else in the party?

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

It doesn't matter if it is story, exp or fractals it works the same the person who goes in first, if they are removed from the group in any way you lose the instance. When you couldn't rejoin a fractal if I disconnected a few times when I started the fractal. I would stay in the group until they finished so they wouldn't lose the instance. The other dungeons have worked that way for as far as I can remember. It appears to be a coding issue but I can not confirm that in any way. It doesn't appear to be put in the game for any real reason because you  can be a bastard to every other member of the group so why make the person who enters the dungeon special. I like others have said, like to be the one to go in first cause I'm mostly not an asshole. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    The person that initiates the instance is the character that is represented in any cutscenes and dialogues. I would expect that is the culprit in this problem. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

I myself had few problems with PUG. most case were acctually ppl raging (myself included).

Dark Souls 2.
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by evilastro

They should indeed fix this.

Also hoping they will put in a dungeon finder. It really is a pain to spam for the less popular dungeons. CoF is easy to get groups for, but it takes forever if you want to find a group for a different dungeon. Would be nice if you could get a group while doing other things, rather than being bored in Lions Arch spamming away. Soooo social.

http://gw2lfg.com/lfgs/

Dark Souls 2.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The instance is created for the person who enters first. It's tied to that character, for better or worse. When I do dungeons, we always select the person who is absolutely certain they have as much time as may be needed to complete the dungeon and who is least prone to connection or crash issues. Being the instance starter gives you no loot controls, so the choice is all about trustworthiness, commitment to completion and stability.

I do think the system should be revisited and improved. I'd like to see more robustness in the game's ability to handle the instance initiator losing connection or crashing and I also cringe at a system that allows 2/5 people to kick members of the group, which, sadly, has been exploited to allow people to easily boot people to allow a friend/guildmate to sneak in for the final boss.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• CitorCitor Member Posts: 8
    it is better to join dungeons with oyur guildmates or friends don't you think?
    Originally posted by Citor
    it is better to join dungeons with oyur guildmates or friends don't you think?

If there aren't 10 people in the entire playerbase looking to do a given dungeon at a given time, it's unlikely that some 5 of those fewer than 10 people will just happen to be in your guild or on your friends list.  Unless you want to do one of a few really popular things, the alternative to a PUG is to not do a dungeon at all.