Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Uncharted Waters Online: Dipping Toes in the 'Ocean'box

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Uncharted Waters Online is a game that has a small but dedicated fanbase. We took some time to dip our toes in the ocean to see how UWO plays these days. Check out our findings and then let us know about your experiences in the comments.

In UWO you take on the role as a sailor preparing to make your big splash on the world. You have the option to represent six historical European nations during the 15th century and via for naval dominance. I choose to represent the Netherlands. I have a soft spot for the little guy.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Uncharted Waters Online: Dipping Toes in the 'Ocean'box.

Speaking of little guys this dolphin decided to follow me to England.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Congratulations on getting through an entire article on UWO without any howling factual errors.  This may sound sarcastic, but for such a confusing game, that's actually hard to do.

To fill in some details, while you choose a class at character creation, you can--and should--later change your class often.  A "class" in UWO is really just a choice of one of the three main spheres (adventuring, trade, maritime) in which you get double experience and fame, together with a collection of skills for which you get some bonuses such as leveling at double the normal rate.  You generally want to switch to a class that has as favored skills whatever you're going to be using a lot in the near future.

France and Venice are probably the real "little guys" in the game.  England and Spain probably have the most players.

The different types of discoveries mostly correspond to different skills used to make the discoveries.  For example, art discoveries use the art and search skills and sometimes unlock, while treasure discoveries use the appraisal and search skills and sometimes unlock.  Plants, insects, birds, small creatures, medium creatures, and large creatures are similar, but my guess is that they're broken into separate categories just because there are so many biology discoveries, so that you don't have to scroll through a list 600 long.

Battle type includes both naval and land battles, though if you're looking to level battle, it's mostly naval.  Some people try to stuff land battles into adventuring rather than maritime, but I think they're nuts.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

while i enjoyed UWO when it was just under netmarble (havent touched it since it went to gpotato) the game is really not for everyone. i went military branch heavy and it gets very grindy and confusing later on (though i played from CB up to the south american/asia patch so missed alot of the better leveling areas)

the game really relys heavy on the asian game guides and player guides to help as once you get to a point the ingame chat is removed (unless they hopefully changed that) meaning you wont beable to ask for help to anyone who isnt right next to you, as well the item mall seemed to be a heavy pushing item. more so for the traders who would buy the anti-pirate trinkets.  while i never needed them with my warship alot of people did so it always seemed like the item mall was the primary leveling item for most trader players

though the game was pretty fun least until i was grinding in the caribban. you really need a good active group though to make it's huge curve easier i hated having to replace cannons and ship durb after a night of farming lol

though this little checkout review makes me miss playing my navel ship :( was soo close to the frigate #cryevrytime

• They did open global chat to everyone  Ichmen. Its a big help, though can be a bit spammy sometimes. Which anyone knows can be both a curse and a blessing.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

well the last time i played was many years ago O-o now lol back when i played "world"chat was only open to "newbs" who hadnt finished the game's school system. but withing 24hrs of playing (if you knew what to do and had a good team) you lost chat fast. not that it mattered lot as it was full of  goldspamers so was local area (wonder if they ever put out a grapple hook to drag goldspammers in to pvp waters everyone kept demanding for lolol)

glad to hear chat is open to everyone regardless of level.. floating from india to scotland can be a might boring if you go it alone :/ unless the kraken wants to play with you :/

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

When I was in beta and later in launched state of the game under Netmarble, I got really into this game (maybe in part due to being between games and not having a main MMO). What I noticed is that you really need to double-box it if you wanted a boost and wanted to take the game seriously overall. I've met some interesting people while playing. They were quite different that a regular MMORPG bunch for sure, so it was refreshing for me.

The game is really big and might seem complicated, but if you'll play for a while, you'll notice that it's pretty intuitive and fun. If you're planning to solo, then I would recommend dual-boxing it, if can't then you should find someone to play with or join a compny/guild, it's more fun and easier when you have people to help you with some aspects of the game. :)

Purple haaaaze! :P

Cheers.

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48
    Did you go for getting the record number of puns in one brief article? :P

• Capt_MorganzCapt_Morganz Member Posts: 2

A lots changed, gone has Netmarble & now is managed by OGP.

You have colonies, aides sailing ships and fighting along side you also running stalls for you.

Thers been a few glitches as to transfering from (Game Guard) to (X-Trap), that as of this moment have seemed to been fixed 3 day's no crashing while playing. Seems to offer a lot more events  than when I played last over 2 years ago.

Pretty quick responses from GM's and the Company about things.

I gess only time will tell if it's popuarity will grow and grow, lke all mmo's, to become the most outstanding Pirate based mmo's you can play...

Yes compaired to modern day upto date new releases it is a bit dated but graphically wise the system is ok and perhaps with new updates/patches  and bigger fan base this could improve.

It s free to play and yes there's item mail, but you dont have purchase anyting if you dont want to and aslong as you get a bit of help, find friendly players and join a good comp then you can lvl pretty easy.

I restarted from scratch and within less than a month was half way to the level of my old character I spent over 2 years to hit that level in the game. That was without any cash incentives. I dont like to pay for a free game but for say £10/20 a mth would be ok if you really wanted too. After all thats less than a night out or a good pizza lol. You only need to spend that if you really wanted to at later stages or you just wanted to lvl fast if thats your style, me I like to explore and spend as little amount as possible and try and rely on my wits and friends that are willing to help ingame usually for free.

The One the Only CaptMorgans BBB