Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could CU kill MJ reputation?

Comments

• VendacVendac Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    He already has a poor reputation among non bias, non fanboy gamers. Maybe if he made some attempt to fix WAR and save some face I would give CU the time of day but he's basically just creating another project to abandon when things go south post launch.

You ever stop to think why all of Mythics original staff bailed starting in 2006 and then then after WAR was release?

Ill give you a clue, their name has 2 vowels in it....

You cant fix stupid - Ron White

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Gamers are very easy to manipulate. Use words like: niche, oldschool, focus on community etc. and they will do anything for you =]

Pretty much this.

"Mumble, mumble... PvP! Mumble, mumble... Sandbox! Mumble, mumble... Three faction! Mumble, mumble... No damn dirty PvE! Mumble, mumble... Uphill both ways in three feet of snow! Mumble, mumble..."

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by naezgul

Why do people find it hard to understand the changes in DAoC were done to curtail the exodus of players attracted by WoW?

MJ had to answer to many people at that time regarding revenues. WAR on the other hand was looking to bring back those players with a more or less WoW mirror........

I see CU as more of a project of love for him, I'm sure he wants it to generate income for himself, but if that was the bottom line he wouldn't be taking the small player base approach

Really, ToA came out before WoW, the guy is a joke but a good con man.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Won't affect his reputation. But it might make it hard for him to start another Kickstarter since this one looks to be failing (unless he and his investors pour some money in at the last minute).

Good luck. I missed the first go in DAOC (couldn't leave EQ), and I'd love some PvP with that medieval feel.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I don't think failure to fund would do much.

It would definitely harm his rep if it did fund and the project still failed / did not live up to expectations.

Edit:  And yeah, I agree with others that the failure of this KS will impede his ability to launch another one with similar goals any time soon.

• tiglietiglie Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by naezgul

Why do people find it hard to understand the changes in DAoC were done to curtail the exodus of players attracted by WoW?

MJ had to answer to many people at that time regarding revenues. WAR on the other hand was looking to bring back those players with a more or less WoW mirror........

I see CU as more of a project of love for him, I'm sure he wants it to generate income for himself, but if that was the bottom line he wouldn't be taking the small player base approach

ToA October 2003  New Frontier June 2004     WoW November 2004

You sir are an idiot,

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    It won't hurt his rep at all if it doesn't fund. I don't think the kickstarter has failed yet though. I do think someone needs to tell the euros what a prepaid visa card is so all this paypal nonsense isn't an issue.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Tierless

Wait, I thought the goal was 1 mill, thats why he announced the Depths as a 2 mill bonus stretch right? Don't tell me I'm gonna have to get this CU logo tattoo removed...

You have to get that CU logo tattoo removed, dude.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by Tierless

Wait, I thought the goal was 1 mill, thats why he announced the Depths as a 2 mill bonus stretch right? Don't tell me I'm gonna have to get this CU logo tattoo removed...

You have to get that CU logo tattoo removed, dude.

LMAO na keep it dude. Its will still be better then a Horde or a Ally WoW tattoo.image

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Hmm well its still got enough time to garnish more cash.

Still, I honestly feel that he has more of a risk at tarnishing his reputation for actually finishing the game and releasing it over it not fully funding. The game (no matter how good it is) won't live up to its expectations for the crowd, and theres some who will support it who just won't like the final product as is and will be disapointed.

Failing the funding I don't think will do that much harm, finishing it will likely harm him a lot more. 

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    Considering the absurd amount of money he made his investors in the past? lol no
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    A lot can happen in a week...

Oh I agree and I am hoping trust me. It just seems that ones rep could be at stake if it did not happen. I mean look at Curt Shilling for example he belived in 38 studios until it busted him now I am willing to bet that with his rep shot he prob wont get any kind of backing now for a MMO game even if he wanted.

I'm not for this game myself, but your posts make me think you may not know what a reputation is.  Personally, I can't see how Mark's rep would be damaged because the KS didn't fully fund.   That is already an impressive amount of people putting their money where their mouth is regarding what they want in a game.

I'm not *for* CU, but I have nothing against it.  And I do hope it funds.  I know a lot of you are excited about it.

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Acidon

Oh I agree and I am hoping trust me. It just seems that ones rep could be at stake if it did not happen. I mean look at Curt Shilling for example he belived in 38 studios until it busted him now I am willing to bet that with his rep shot he prob wont get any kind of backing now for a MMO game even if he wanted.

I'm not for this game myself, but your posts make me think you may not know what a reputation is.  Personally, I can't see how Mark's rep would be damaged because the KS didn't fully fund.   That is already an impressive amount of people putting their money where their mouth is regarding what they want in a game.

I'm not *for* CU, but I have nothing against it.  And I do hope it funds.  I know a lot of you are excited about it.

Thanks for a friendly, unbiased opinion, mate....refreshing

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I see a lot of people that think of his reputation as being already being ruined based on WAR and DAoC ToA. Even with all that, he still appears to have a loyal following.

I doubt a Kickstarter failure will change anyone's opinion either way. If CU ends up funding and then ends up being trash, then yeah, based on how vocal and public this thing has been, his credibility and reputation will take a massive hit.

• comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123

His reputation will only be damaged if it funds and it flops.

His reputation is poor as it is so not funding will not hurt him.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Hold on.   Failure of kickstarter to ruin MJ's reputation?   Are you kidding me? 

MJ, the man who brought us Trials of Atlantis.

MJ, the man who brought us the enhanced class balance tools that lead to Bright wizards on 90 Warhammer servers, no wait, 60 servers, no wait, 40 servers, no wait, 20 servers, no wait, 10 servers, no wait 4 servers.

Yah, as if a failed kickstarter campaign will be his biggest goof in the MMO land...... 

Laugh, the only thing missing from his resume is making SWG NGE.  Too bad someone else claimed the prize for worst expansion of all time.  Trials of Atantis was dethroned.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    IMO his reputation is among the worst in the gaming industry.I don't know how it can get any worse.
  • mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64
    i would like to see MJ step foot into a games day... the table top warhammer crowd  would  skin him  alive and burned at the stake  for what he did to warhammer lore... lol... i don't think many people in EU would back his KS since warhammer is like a religion over there..

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by colddog04

I see a lot of people that think of his reputation as being already being ruined based on WAR and DAoC ToA. Even with all that, he still appears to have a loyal following.

I doubt a Kickstarter failure will change anyone's opinion either way. If CU ends up funding and then ends up being trash, then yeah, based on how vocal and public this thing has been, his credibility and reputation will take a massive hit.

This ^.

It'd be much worse for his reputation if the game gets funded, and ends up either sucking or falling severely short of people's expectations.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    I blame WAR on EA more than anything. EA is really only still in the industry to turn a profit, not make quality gaming entertainment.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Danwarr
    I blame WAR on EA more than anything. EA is really only still in the industry to turn a profit, not make quality gaming entertainment.

I had a lot of fun with WAR, and EA definitely played a big part in the handling of the game. However, not all the decisions can be placed on EA, and it's kinda difficult to really separate the bad decisions from those made by mythic and those made by the publisher.

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by Hjamnr
    Negative waves, man.

LOL, I love this

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Arbroath
    Originally posted by Acidon

Thanks for a friendly, unbiased opinion, mate....refreshing

Yes ty, See I did not want to make it seem I was picking on MJ If I were to in my OP bring up what some of  what some has ready said about WAR and DAoC ToA. I do of course know what a REPUTATION is, sure it is agreed he makes money for a lot of people, but that money is made from the consumer. Do gamers feel that they been let down enough by MJ that if CU did not fund, will gamers shy away from him because his track record failed to deliver and these games were fully funded. To me that perhaps maybe his Reputation might be damaged at that point? Hence that is why I used Curt and 38 as a example. Sorry maybe I did not write it properly enough for some to understand.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by aesperus

I had a lot of fun with WAR, and EA definitely played a big part in the handling of the game. However, not all the decisions can be placed on EA, and it's kinda difficult to really separate the bad decisions from those made by mythic and those made by the publisher.

Especially given that MJ and the crew were working on WAR before EA ever got involved.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by aesperus

WAR was fun for me just because I could play a Warhammer Orc. I love those guys. 40k Orks are my favorite though. Additionally, I really enjoyed the PvP and public questing.

But the class balance was out of whack and the servers were terrible. That's what killed the game for me. I don't know if these issues were due to Mythic's iincompetence, or EA not wanting to give Mythic the time and resources to fully devote to an MMO.

EA sort of did the same thing with ToR. The game really lacked initial post-launch development and there were some really bad class imbalances.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape