Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I loved DAOC but am not funding this

1235»

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

This is a niche title, and it's fanbase is very loyal. If they make it more and more standardized, it loses appeal to the loyal fanbase that is backing it. So that fanbase has to step up to the plate and pay whatever is needed to get this title going. That is the only choice other than give up and go home. 

There isn't a hoard of people that don't know about it.

There isn't some elusive millionaire who just needs to be prompted enough to throw in some cash. 

This is the chance that these people have been asking for, so they better "put up or shut up" so to speak.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Ziftylrhavic
    Originally posted by calranthe
    I love pvp but it is too easy to burn out on pure pvp really wish this game had a little pve content.

There will be PvE, just check out the update of The Depth. You just won't gain anything from it and so it won't be necessary.

I read they were thinking about other ways to take a break from RvR too around the start of KS.

Think about what you just wrote, see if makes any sense , if there is no benefit to the PVE why would anyone bother doing it ?

That poster is mistaken anyway.  There will be a benefit to the PvE that will be in game, just not in the traditional sense of leveling up and getting gear.  For example, venturing further into the Depths will grant you access to materials and forges.  All items will be player made, so your standard MMO model of raiding and farming loot is irrelevant. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by eyelolled

There isn't a hoard of people that don't know about it..

Yes, there are.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Originally posted by LateBrake1
    I play most MMO's and even played DAOC back in the day and really enjoyed it, however I am not backing this project. It seems to me when your going so niche by being PvP only and with a limited class selection it's just not appealing compared to what else is out there.Perhaps it's somewhat because I  (and my friends) are burned out on GW2 world vrs world. The thought of just WvW (or  RvR as they call it) 24/7 would be mind numbing.Had they said 18 classes, 3 realms, PvE zones to fight over, raids, maybe even the ability for user created content, it would have a better chance. Yes I understand they keeping their ambitions small and focused (class wise and gameplay wise) but what's the point if you cant make the game anyway? Why not go big? I enjoy PvP but man everyone needs some variety.I think it's going to take a game that is very well rounded to rise to the top of the MMO world in the future. It would have all those things and more, maybe not done amazingly well at the beginning but at least the prospect of it.I will say GL to MJ though but again, not throwing a bone to the PvE people or including anything new and revolutionary gameplay wise is a decision I would not have made. 
    Well stated. This is exactly how I feel about it. Good to know others feel this way as well.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Originally posted by Tokken

Originally posted by LateBrake1
    I play most MMO's and even played DAOC back in the day and really enjoyed it, however I am not backing this project. It seems to me when your going so niche by being PvP only and with a limited class selection it's just not appealing compared to what else is out there.

Perhaps it's somewhat because I  (and my friends) are burned out on GW2 world vrs world. The thought of just WvW (or  RvR as they call it) 24/7 would be mind numbing.

Had they said 18 classes, 3 realms, PvE zones to fight over, raids, maybe even the ability for user created content, it would have a better chance. Yes I understand they keeping their ambitions small and focused (class wise and gameplay wise) but what's the point if you cant make the game anyway? Why not go big? I enjoy PvP but man everyone needs some variety.

I think it's going to take a game that is very well rounded to rise to the top of the MMO world in the future. It would have all those things and more, maybe not done amazingly well at the beginning but at least the prospect of it.

I will say GL to MJ though but again, not throwing a bone to the PvE people or including anything new and revolutionary gameplay wise is a decision I would not have made.

Well stated. This is exactly how I feel about it. Good to know others feel this way as well.

Except that what he said is very out of tune with the project itself. Why not go big? This game is going big. It's RvR and housing/crafting seem more ambitious than any MMORPG to date. And this game does have PvE and non RvR zones to fight over. Just another example of someone who wrote off the Kickstarter without discovering what was actually in the game.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Yes, there are.

ok, if you say so. You'd better get rallying the troops then, because if thats the case they don't read these forums.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Yes, there are.

ok, if you say so. You'd better get rallying the troops then, because if thats the case they don't read these forums.

There are millions of people who don't read these forums.

Yes, there are.

I'm quite sure there are billions of people that don't read these forums, but who's counting.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by grogstorm
    It is like any addiction, once taken, you want more.  And it never ends.  The current course of MMO’s is leading down the path of handing the player everything on a silver platter.  And if you follow this to its end there will be a game you can buy and install hit play and it does it all for you.  You just sit back and chat with your friends as the computer plays for you.

Thankfully I saw the light and am trying to get off this train.

The bright lights and happy music coming from the circus (current Themepark MMO’s) is just to alluring for some people.  And they are happy following the other lemmings off the cliff.

Let’s just hope enough people realize the current failings of the “just play and we will give you the world” track is doomed to fail and the industry can be saved.

so when you say themepark games are doomed to fail, you mean doomed to be games you don't like?

how do you determine a game has succeeded? it certainly wont be judged by sub numbers because CU wont compare to many themeparks in that regard.

yet that is usually how people judge the success of mmo's, by how many subs they have and their longevity in holding them.

i see CU as a niche game with 1 or 200k subs, maybe more if they pull it off well.

so i beg to ask, how will CU be considered more successful or not "doomed to failure" compared to themeparks that will have even more subs?

that said, i do hope this game gets made and people are happy with it.

heck, i will give it a try myself (not going to "back" it though)

i just don't think it will be a huge success in today's mmo standards and anyone thinking it will is in denial.

good luck though, i truly mean that.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by eyelolled Originally posted by DavisFlight Originally posted by eyelolled   There isn't a hoard of people that don't know about it..
    Yes, there are.

thank god.

i know if i was an mmo player that just stumbled across this website and read the forums, i would never come back. lol

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by eyelolled   There isn't a hoard of people that don't know about it..
    Yes, there are.

thank god.

i know if i was an mmo player that just stumbled across this website and read the forums, i would never come back. lol

I think I actively avoid telling people about this website and especially the forums. You really need to like forum PvP to be here.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

Originally posted by grogstorm
    It is like any addiction, once taken, you want more.  And it never ends.  The current course of MMO’s is leading down the path of handing the player everything on a silver platter.  And if you follow this to its end there will be a game you can buy and install hit play and it does it all for you.  You just sit back and chat with your friends as the computer plays for you.

Thankfully I saw the light and am trying to get off this train.

The bright lights and happy music coming from the circus (current Themepark MMO’s) is just to alluring for some people.  And they are happy following the other lemmings off the cliff.

Let’s just hope enough people realize the current failings of the “just play and we will give you the world” track is doomed to fail and the industry can be saved.

so when you say themepark games are doomed to fail, you mean doomed to be games you don't like?

Nah, they're statistically doomed to fail. Devs cannot produce enough content to keep people playing. That style of design collapses in on itself. See: Age of Conan, LotRO, SWTOR, TSW, STO, people play a bit then leave when they run out of content. Most themeparks have started off huge then all but disappeared. Most lose partners and developers and servers before they finally stabalize. Funcom lost two partners and almost had to file for bankrupcy over AoC. SWTOR killed Bioware AND Mythic. LotRO, despite having the most popular IP in the world limps along in obscurity.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Originally posted by eyelolled   There isn't a hoard of people that don't know about it..
    Yes, there are.

thank god.

Ironically, I think you've discovered the one thing this community could probably agree upon.  lol