Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What School??

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I have been reading over the school and trying to decide which one I should play first.  I am still waiting for the download, and may not be able to play until after work tomorrow.

I have read the little descriptions of them.  Can any one put some infor up about the schools and give me an idea what I might want to play.

Thanks in advnace.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

I haven't really played the game long enough to break down each school but i would offer these 2 suggestions when choosing. 

1. What kind of Player do you want to be ? Do you want to be a murderer / outlaw type or do you want to play the hero and take down the evil doers. I Know some schools look down on murdering & evil deeds an you aquire some sort of negative points rating thingy which could prevent you from advancing your skills in your school, I think.... lol There so much learn in this game so I'm not 100% sure on this. Personally i went with the Tangmen as it is my understaning they are somewhat of a nuetral school which allows you to play a little of this & a little of that.

2. Pick the school which you think has "cool" weapons or a weapon set you woul enjoy playing, Again I like Tangmen for their Daggers & darts.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• bnxbanditbnxbandit Member Posts: 23
    A  coachman npc will give you all the needed information about each school when you're ready. By that time you choose between good, neutral, or evil schools.  I like scholars though cause they have a unique kicking style called "Leisure Kick".
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Is there an "I win" school?

I am not going to play an evil school.  I will play either of the other ones.  Right now I am thinking about a school that can heal.  I ussually play healers. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

This is SO easy!

Shaolin = dudes

Emei = chickies

Wudang = tree huggers

Beggar's Sect = surfers and skaters

Tangmen = batman

Scholars = nerds

Wanderer's Valley = sith

Royal Guards = jackie chan

Have Fun!

Sz

:o)

• seldomseen13seldomseen13 Member Posts: 16
    thunder's point is well made as schools are also your faction. Picking a school consistent with your playstyle is inportant. Tang seem mean in pvp with the dart/kiting thing. I play scholar, because I also love me some leisure kick. In Leisure Kick, your primary dmg type is softness, hahaha.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by MMOman101

Tangmen or Scholar. The former is 1v1, range and ridiculous damage, the latter is ridiculous AOE and equally imbalanced 1v1 performance.

Overall game balance sucks...

There isn't much healing in AoW and what is, is mostly provided by life professions.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Tangmen or Scholar. The former is 1v1, range and ridiculous damage, the latter is ridiculous AOE and equally imbalanced 1v1 performance.

There isn't much healing in AoW and what is, is mostly provided by life professions.

Either is pretty easily wrecked depending on builds.

Extremely good dueling with high skill and good connection is Shaolin.  Neither Tangman or Scholar can stand against a top tier Shaolin (almost no one can, consistently).  With 3rd inner buffs, they are just off the hook.

That said, anyone can beat just about anything with enough skills.

Originally posted by Alamareth

With 3rd inner buffs, they are just off the hook.

Yeah, tell that to people who play on new US servers where they do not even get 2nd inner...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by SaunZ

This is SO easy!

Shaolin = dudes

Emei = chickies

Wudang = tree huggers

Tangmen = batman

Scholars = nerds

Wanderer's Valley = sith

Have Fun!

Sz

Spot on. Can we call this a guide and sticky it?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • OzzilupoOzzilupo Member UncommonPosts: 13
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Being from staten island I had to go shaolin :)
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by SaunZ

This is SO easy!

Shaolin = dudes

Emei = chickies

Wudang = tree huggers

Tangmen = batman

Scholars = nerds

Wanderer's Valley = sith

Have Fun!

Sz

But Jackie chan is THE drunken master! I went Wudang because I'm almost always evil in mmorpg's I've played, so I wanted to be the good guys for once. Also, taoism is no joke.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I have been reading over the school and trying to decide which one I should play first.  I am still waiting for the download, and may not be able to play until after work tomorrow.

I have read the little descriptions of them.  Can any one put some infor up about the schools and give me an idea what I might want to play.

Thanks in advnace.

Well.. you can find indepth info on the skills, and there's even ingame NPCs as part of the newbie questline that explain each school & show you their skills. For a basic rundown, though: (this is mostly PvP oriented, as all schools do fine in PvE, but the game has open world, FFA pvp)

Shaolin: (palm,kicks,staff) AoE support & control - One of the weaker schools in the game atm

Wudang: (sword,sword, dual-sword) Kind of a hybrid between long range magic attacks (chi) and defense. One of the tankier classes in the game. They have some pretty strong skills, but somewhat limited AoE. They eventually can proc chi shields that absorb dmg and have limited internal damage (mostly direct damage attacks). - A fairly strong / balanced class, though atm they have a rough start as they are easily kiteable by other schools (specifically tang, & royal guards). One of the most popular schools atm.

Emei: (daggers, palm) AoE support & internal dmg - One of the weaker schools in the game atm

Beggar's Sect: (stick,palm,stick) AoE direct damage - One of the weaker schools in the game atm

Tangmen: (dagger, darts) Very strong long-range damage. Specializes in ranged assassinations, both internal & external damage. (direct and damage over time). One of the strongest PvP classes atm, fairly popular.

Scholar's: (sword, kick, dual-sword) Very strong AoE direct damage. One of the hardest hitting external attack schools in the game currently. Limited internal damage and almost entirely close-range. Fairly popular.

Wanderer's Valley: (dual-sword, fist / kicks) This is one of the more unique schools. Highly offense oriented, specializes in internal injuries and debuffs. Has lots of attacks that poison yourself to deal damage to your enemies & life leech. Tricky school to master, but extremely deadly when played well. One of the least played schools in the game, and has the highest skill-cap out of all the schools (imho). Focuses on ganking & unloading as much damage on your opponent before running out of energy (and then hopefully running away).

Royal Guard's: (sword, claws, chains) This is THE MOST overpowered class in the game. It's also the most popular alongside Wudang & Scholar schools. Focuses on heavy melee damage, with ranged attacks (claws / chains) that can also pull your opponent to you. The pulls also do pretty crazy amounts of damage if not blocked. Their only real downside is you can overwhelm them in melee if you are a scholar or high-lvl Wudang.

- Hope that helps

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by aesperus

Thanks in advnace.

Well.. you can find indepth info on the skills, and there's even ingame NPCs as part of the newbie questline that explain each school & show you their skills. For a basic rundown, though: (this is mostly PvP oriented, as all schools do fine in PvE, but the game has open world, FFA pvp)

Shaolin: (palm,kicks,staff) AoE support & control - One of the weaker schools in the game atm

Wudang: (sword,sword, dual-sword) Kind of a hybrid between long range magic attacks (chi) and defense. One of the tankier classes in the game. They have some pretty strong skills, but somewhat limited AoE. They eventually can proc chi shields that absorb dmg and have limited internal damage (mostly direct damage attacks). - A fairly strong / balanced class, though atm they have a rough start as they are easily kiteable by other schools (specifically tang, & royal guards). One of the most popular schools atm.

Emei: (daggers, palm) AoE support & internal dmg - One of the weaker schools in the game atm

Beggar's Sect: (stick,palm,stick) AoE direct damage - One of the weaker schools in the game atm

Tangmen: (dagger, darts) Very strong long-range damage. Specializes in ranged assassinations, both internal & external damage. (direct and damage over time). One of the strongest PvP classes atm, fairly popular.

Scholar's: (sword, kick, dual-sword) Very strong AoE direct damage. One of the hardest hitting external attack schools in the game currently. Limited internal damage and almost entirely close-range. Fairly popular.

Wanderer's Valley: (dual-sword, fist / kicks) This is one of the more unique schools. Highly offense oriented, specializes in internal injuries and debuffs. Has lots of attacks that poison yourself to deal damage to your enemies & life leech. Tricky school to master, but extremely deadly when played well. One of the least played schools in the game, and has the highest skill-cap out of all the schools (imho). Focuses on ganking & unloading as much damage on your opponent before running out of energy (and then hopefully running away).

Royal Guard's: (sword, claws, chains) This is THE MOST overpowered class in the game. It's also the most popular alongside Wudang & Scholar schools. Focuses on heavy melee damage, with ranged attacks (claws / chains) that can also pull your opponent to you. The pulls also do pretty crazy amounts of damage if not blocked. Their only real downside is you can overwhelm them in melee if you are a scholar or high-lvl Wudang.

- Hope that helps

Duel Oni and tell me what you think.

Way too much opinion in this post. There are only OP players and soft vounters.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Thanks in advnace.

- Hope that helps

Look, I don't mean to troll but nearly everything is wrong in this post.  Yes, classes fluctuate based on inner levels but overall you can rely on the following:

Shaolin - Beautiful dueling, enormous combos, fantastic lockdown - easily a consistent top tier dueling school at all levels.  Also has top tier AoE abilities for mass PvP.  One of the top PvP'ers on the most mature NA server is a Shaolin.

Wudang - More or less correct, the tanky aspect isn't really true since everyone can get Flying Horse / Circle Moon 4.

Emei - Extremely high damage if you allow them to stack.  Good CC, excellent support, and strong rages.  It's not as "in your face" as Shaolin, but it's one of the best schools.  It will tip more towards support at higher levels.

Tangman - First inner strong ranged, second inner strong melee, third inner strong range (but most will switch to 2nd inner for the melee rage).  Darts ARE NOT a longterm solution.  They are among the weaker PvP classes due to the single target nature.  Dueling is extremely skill based - on both sides.

Beggars - Depends.  Lotus Palm is good in more of a mass PvP setting.  Crying Stick is a better dueling set.  Both have high damage (lotus spike, crying DPS).  Spirit Snake is a little in between - more AoE debuffs but primarily single target.  First inner Lotus Palm is godly, 2nd inner Crying Stick picks up a lot, beggar meridian combo is required for proper use of the sets.

Scholar - Medium AoE, it's easily escaped.  Used primarily for mass PvP initiation and zoning.  Internal damage is actually the highest of any internal style due to Leisure Kicks rage.  External attacks are not the hardest hitting, not by far.  The class tilts towards offensive support in several scenarios.

WV - A gimmicky school, but good and fairly difficult to play competently.  Sets offer a wide variety of options.  Perish Blades will become one of the strongest hitting sets in the game with 3rd inner buffs.

Royal Guards - Actually one of the weakest schools in the game once you learn how to fight them.  Matchups do matter.  Slow hitting sets will have more problems than more charge oriented sets.  Don't let them kite you.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Tangmen I like. I dunno how it is now, but RG and WuDANG! are pretty tough to beat if they know how to play.
  • GandoresGandores Member UncommonPosts: 55

Emei one of the weakest!?!? What the hell are you smokin man?!?

But yea, Almareth is pretty much spot on.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Thanks in advnace.

check if u wanna play evil or good and look for wiki abouth stat and thing u wanan do that dost afect ur personal penalty,some school give u penalty for thing l u do ,sertain thing you can do and cant  like trafic from same school can give u penalty if u are a good school evil is the easy one .

Originally posted by Gdemami

Actually i think it's quite the contrary, game is very well balanced.Most of the times, it's not 'what' i can't beat but rather 'who' i can't beat.

i.e.  It's not the class that'll make you win, it's how you play.

p.s. Rosy cloud + wudang heal is gay though lol.

Originally posted by Gandores

Actually i think it's quite the contrary, game is very well balanced.

I guess you suffer same issue of skewed perception. Finest example of game imbalance and how funnily one can put it(not seeing it as imbalance of course), can be found in one of the posts above - "classes fluctuate based on inner levels".

Just because you need Goose and other supplementary skills such as certain inner, skills from other schools etc. to actually stand a chance against classes who needs those not, does not make the game balanced by any means - in fact that is what makes it broken.

I agree, goose is a given, everyone needs it.

But i only have my Emeis abilities, and i beat ppl with multiple sets and inners on a regular basis.

Pros like Zyden or Saki usually beat me using only their class abilities, like long style boxing or kicks. No need for flying horse when they outplay me.  Those who needs it, i usually beat em anyway. 

If you have trouble fighting ppl with lots of abilities, you need to practice moar!

That part about goose is true, but the rest is bullshit.

i don't think you duel often.

And regardless of the inner used, it's usually the same ppl on top

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Thanks in advnace.

- Hope that helps

Almost everything here is wrong. I specially loled at emeis being weak( world champions) and Rg being strong (weakest school by a large margin)

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

From the horses mouth.  Enjoy.

The 8 Schools

It tells you everything you need to know and nothing all at the same time.  Gotta love that whole Zen thing.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Thanks in advnace.

- Hope that helps

People like YOU are the reason I am playing RG. I thought RG was gonna be awesome in PvP and that was a big fat lie.

RG might be OP in PvE content, but PvE content isn't the meat of the game and they are probably only OP to new players. 

So to any undecided if u want to kick butt in PvP, probably take emei or tangman IMO, just because tangman can range extremely well.