Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CU: The Niche MMO that is trying to kickstart on a Triple-A budget

Comments

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by meddyck

This takes the prize for weirdest complaint I've seen. Since when is $2 million a AAA budget? AAA MMOs such as SWTOR and GW 2 were developed for 10s of millions of dollars perhaps even 100s of millions depending on who you believe. CSE is taking all sorts of short cuts due to the small funding level they will have. You can see this in the number of classes and races, lack of pet classes, lack of PvE, and many other aspects of the design.

Could the Kickstarter have been done differently, focused more tightly on its core niche, and gone for a smaller initial goal of $1 - 1.5 million with some aspects of the current basic design becoming stretch goals? Yes I strongly think so. Still it's not remotely a AAA MMO even at its current $2 million goal.

$2m is the KS, not the budget. It's more like $5m+.

Several AAA mmos have been under or around the $10m mark, SWTOR was a massive budget, far more than most other AAA mmos.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

It's NOT triple AAA budget.  It's small indie budget.  People need to get this to their heads or they'll be very disappointed.

Yes. For an mmoprg - 5 million dollars is small indie budget.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Zinzan
    Yeah ones that were made over a decade ago
    Originally posted by Teala

The problem with CU is, and it really is simple, is that it brings nothing new to the table.   It is regurgitating what has all ready been chewed up and eaten a half a dozen times.    Go back and look at the games that have come before recently - in fact lets go back to DAoC.  Now move forward.   MMO's that have released that are like CU.    We have WoW.  We have Warhammer.  We have Aion.  We have GW2.   We have Rift.   We have SWTOR.  We have PS2.    Soon we'll have TES Online.   Most of these games revolve around PvP/faction vs faction, some are 2 faction based games(Aion - WoW) and others are three factions fighting it out for control.   Do we really need another game dedicated to this?  Especially one that has little PvE and is all about faction warfare and territorial control?(Just play PS2 if that is what you are looking for).

Look I love new games being made...what I dislike is that this genre has been driven into the ground by lackluster games and especially games that do nothing new.   CU is just a lesser version of DAoC.   Why do we need that?

Welcome to CU, may I suggest you try reading something, foundation principals for example, or try watching some of the concept videos before posting utter garbage like this?

You just come across as another uninformed troll posting random generic complaints.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The problem with CU is, and it really is simple, is that it brings nothing new to the table.   It is regurgitating what has all ready been chewed up and eaten a half a dozen times.    Go back and look at the games that have come before recently - in fact lets go back to DAoC.  Now move forward.   MMO's that have released that are like CU.    We have WoW.  We have Warhammer.  We have Aion.  We have GW2.   We have Rift.   We have SWTOR.  We have PS2.    Soon we'll have TES Online.   Most of these games revolve around PvP/faction vs faction, some are 2 faction based games(Aion - WoW) and others are three factions fighting it out for control.   Do we really need another game dedicated to this?  Especially one that has little PvE and is all about faction warfare and territorial control?(Just play PS2 if that is what you are looking for).

Look I love new games being made...what I dislike is that this genre has been driven into the ground by lackluster games and especially games that do nothing new.   CU is just a lesser version of DAoC.   Why do we need that?

Have you read anything about this game, what at all does it share in comparison with any of those titles outside of having a form of PVP? IF anything it resembles what Shadowbane tried to do, with it's build/protect/destroy philosophy, which is surely not an overused design.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Zinzan

I take your pont, but you are exaggerating quite a bit here.

A decade ago? Im not sure there is a single AAA mmorpg that's over 10 years old, is there?

Maybe in wrong, but I can't think of one.

EQ, ac, uo, planetside, swg

You could add eve, daoc and Ao, but technically they are indies
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Zinzan

I take your pont, but you are exaggerating quite a bit here.

A decade ago? Im not sure there is a single AAA mmorpg that's over 10 years old, is there?

Maybe in wrong, but I can't think of one.

Uh, EVE, EQ, DAOC, UO etc....

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Hjamnr

So much fail, in this post.

WoW - no

WHY NOT? - just saying no says nothing about what you like or dislike

Warhammer - Some similarities but not really that close, and poorly executed by EA/GW

Rift -  You're kidding, right?

Rift is a decent game. I did get bored with it but I played it quite a bit - so call it burn out.

GW2 - All instanced, queues, combat area resets and your opponents change every 2 weeks.  Bleah

As far as GW2 - the dungeons are instance and the PvP area is in the Mists (it is part of the map BTW, not really instanced) - So you do not know what you are talking about

Aion - Again... are you kidding?

PS2 - Can't believe you even included this online FPS

TES - Again, all instanced crap. 

You obviously don't comprehend what "RvR" actually is, and think it compares, in any way, to the FFA or arena BS the games you mentioned contain.

You know, we get you  are a CU junkie, but the game isn't even out or coded yet. All they have given is platitudes, like the GW2 philosophy page and they got nuked for it. Since nothing of the game is developed yet, that is all MJ has given and it can change.  

WoW:  Even suggesting that the systems are the same means you don't have a clue.  I don't need to go into greater detail because I don't try to teach invertabrates how to breakdance.

GW2:  There is a queue to enter the WvWvW area.  It resets every 2 weeks and then are placed against different opponents.   That's an instance, albeit a lengthy one.

Not suggesting any of those games are "bad", just to allege that their PvP is the same as CU's proposed "RvR" is ludicrous. 

Working proto-alpha demo: http://www.twitch.tv/citystategames/c/2195418

They have give much more than platitudes.

EQ, ac, uo, planetside, swg

You could add eve, daoc and Ao, but technically they are indies

I'd still say comparitively they are of AAA quality, when looking at the true indie MMO's of today. MO, DF etc..

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Most of the games you listed were faction versus faction.  GW2 isn't even a viable comparison because you can smell the stinch coming from the guild wars 2 forum regarding the pointlessness of WvWvW.

So yes, we need a different option.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I think it's way off by calling this AAA funding, but I think it's a great idea to bring the kickstarter amount up to AAA funding.  Who else is in favor of changing the kickstarter amount up to 50 million?  If all the current backers would simply open up  a bit, the funding could be available.  This sort of project needs it's playerbase to be supportive!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

To which It finally dawned on me the other day, if this is a niche game, why did they try to fund at such a high level.

This is nowhere near a AAA budget.  Square Enix spent more on a 7 minute CGI trailer than CSE is trying to Kickstart their game for.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by botrytis

WoW - no

WHY NOT? - just saying no says nothing about what you like or dislike

Warhammer - Some similarities but not really that close, and poorly executed by EA/GW

Rift is a decent game. I did get bored with it but I played it quite a bit - so call it burn out.

GW2 - All instanced, queues, combat area resets and your opponents change every 2 weeks.  Bleah

As far as GW2 - the dungeons are instance and the PvP area is in the Mists (it is part of the map BTW, not really instanced) - So you do not know what you are talking about

You obviously don't comprehend what "RvR" actually is, and think it compares, in any way, to the FFA or arena BS the games you mentioned contain.

You know, we get you  are a CU junkie, but the game isn't even out or coded yet. All they have given is platitudes, like the GW2 philosophy page and they got nuked for it. Since nothing of the game is developed yet, that is all MJ has given and it can change.  

You could say the same to the poster above the one you responded to.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    There's only really been 2 rvr games
    Daoc and planetside
    Planetside 2 lacks the meta game, but its getting there
    Gw2 isn't properly persistent , and there's no long term grab as there is no rivalry due to the no names policy and server shuffling
    War only had 2 sides, it had a campaign that had to reset and it wasn't in a single big rvr area, just a load of little lakes
    Wow doesn't have anything remotely like rvr, none of its pvp is persistent, everythings on a bloody timer.
    Aion had 2 sides and was far too gear dependent for a rvr mmo.
    Rift let's you be chums in pve then pick a side in pvp, plus its timed like wow.

So basicly daoc and planetside are rvr
    Ps2 and war are almost rvr
    Gw2 and aion have some rvr features
    Wow and rift have nothing like rvr in them at all.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

SWTOR, GW2, TERA budgets were all 50m+ each for development, that's a AAA budget, not 2m. 

Lol..

There's only really been 2 rvr games
    Daoc and planetside
    Planetside 2 lacks the meta game, but its getting there
    Gw2 isn't properly persistent , and there's no long term grab as there is no rivalry due to the no names policy and server shuffling
    War only had 2 sides, it had a campaign that had to reset and it wasn't in a single big rvr area, just a load of little lakes
    Wow doesn't have anything remotely like rvr, none of its pvp is persistent, everythings on a bloody timer.
    Aion had 2 sides and was far too gear dependent for a rvr mmo.
    Rift let's you be chums in pve then pick a side in pvp, plus its timed like wow.

So basicly daoc and planetside are rvr
    Ps2 and war are almost rvr
    Gw2 and aion have some rvr features
    Wow and rift have nothing like rvr in them at all.

I'm not seeing the difference between Planetside and Planetside 2.

What meta game did PS have and how does that make PS2 any less "rvr" .

GW2 is no different to DAOC really, just because its not persistent doesn't make it any less " rvr" (wvwvw).

So, Aion is gear dependant and that means its not "rvr" when DAoC was completely gear dependant to the point of gear>skill?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

WoW - no

I understand RvR.   I understand somewhat, about CU, but the game designers haven't explained much at all about how their RvR will work...they don't even have a world map.    I mention those games because they are "faction vs faction"(pre-created and pre-determined - set in stone games of race vs race or kingdom vs kingdom based games).    The basic game play.  Sounds like an advanced version of DAoC but with the ability to take and control land and build on it, gather resources and what not.   But make no mistake, they will have safe areas(says so in their game documents) where people will be able to build and own shops - that makes it more like DAoC - it isn't open, it is "you can be this race" - and you "must fight for this faction" - and you can go here - but you cannot go here - type of game.   Same as all the ones I listed above.  The only difference is in CU it seems you can build things in contested areas for people to defend and attack.

Ps1 had continent locking and bridge battles

Although continent locking is coming to ps2
    Ps2 is almost there, its the best attempt at rvr since "the wow era"
    Teala
    Some of those games you mention have rvr

But no one in their right mind could describe wow and rift as rvr games.
    Sorry mean hjammr
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Teala

Why not?   Horde vs Alliance - those are factions/realms and the players do fight for control of places like Wintergrasp and Tol Barad.  They fight for them to control them to receive benefits in areas or in game in general.   Sounds no different than what we see in DAoC - which is an RvR game.  Tell me how they do not relate.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by meddyck

This takes the prize for weirdest complaint I've seen. Since when is $2 million a AAA budget? AAA MMOs such as SWTOR and GW 2 were developed for 10s of millions of dollars perhaps even 100s of millions depending on who you believe. CSE is taking all sorts of short cuts due to the small funding level they will have. You can see this in the number of classes and races, lack of pet classes, lack of PvE, and many other aspects of the design.

Could the Kickstarter have been done differently, focused more tightly on its core niche, and gone for a smaller initial goal of $1 - 1.5 million with some aspects of the current basic design becoming stretch goals? Yes I strongly think so. Still it's not remotely a AAA MMO even at its current $2 million goal.

fyi it's 5mil, 2mil is just extra they want from kickstarter.  But agree it's no longer a AAA budget.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Teala

Why not?   Horde vs Alliance - those are factions/realms and the players do fight for control of places like Wintergrasp and Tol Barad.  They fight for them to control them to receive benefits in areas or in game in general.   Sounds no different than what we see in DAoC - which is an RvR game.  Tell me how they do not relate.

RvR means Realm vs Realm. In other words, it's not only the players that are important but the realm as well. What is the realm? it is the part of the world for which you fight. It's no use to fight for  something if 1 week later it reset and doesn't belong to you anymore, regardless of the skills of the enemy. The goal is to expand the realm.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Why do others care what people do with their money? I guess haters just gonna hate.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot