Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By the end of the KS, CSE will allow you to play CU.

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

"An update showing game engine in works + networking code and first two models in close distance They are looking great, awesome details as for first iterations.
Skip to 2:50 http://www.twitch.tv/citystategames/b/394781344
Again:
models are being worked on, there are only 2 models for testing purpose, one viking female and one TDD
animations are just basic ones, made for testing purpose
map is for testing purpose
the basic possible effects are in for testing purpose

It is not even alpha, although the engine and networking code are working great
By the end of the kickstarter they are going to allow masses to get in and play a little.
Also, basic combat system should be by the end of the kickstarter

Very fast!"

----------------------------------------------

So, title is abit sensationalist I know, but Andrew said he'll implement a basic combat systme in the tech demo and allow everyone to play it. That's pretty neat.

Think of this as "Open Internal Access" for a few days.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    sounds like they are starting to worry about the KS funds.  hoping some gameplay will entice more backers.
  • WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

So, title is abit sensationalist I know ...

Maybe just a little bit, yes xD

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

In for the trolololols.

Smackhammer was pretty fun, especially when you could go on a rampage of 4-6 kills without dying.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Very encouraging, but ki fear for the "First impressions review" threads trashing a concept pre-alpha.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    IDK $640k in 8 days is going to be a tough obstacle.
  • Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by muffins89
    sounds like they are starting to worry about the KS funds.  hoping some gameplay will entice more backers.

Better than resting on thier laurels, I would think.  Regardless of the current state of their KS.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I think if they would have had a working demo like this at launch then progress would have been much better.  The demo looks pretty good really, considering what it is.  Maybe this will provide a little incentive and confidence for those who are still unsure.

I recently backed a voxel-based builder KS project and it was only because they have a working alpha build of the game you can play.  It's crude and buggy, but it was just enough to convince me that they have what it takes to finish the project.

I wouldn't call that a working demo, it looks like what they showed before only with the AI script turned off for the main model. I expect much better results given the team that is working on this for a tech demo. I have seen newbie college projects that look better then that >_<

• BarthalamuleBarthalamule Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Marcus-
    Originally posted by muffins89

Better than resting on thier laurels, I would think.  Regardless of the current state of their KS.

I agree, I remain cautiously optomistic that the coming updates combined with the last minute influx will just barely tip the scale. Plus I have to assume worst case scenario we fall 150k short; wont MJ just buy himself 15 dragonwhales last minute? I really believe the interest in pure sandbox pvp is exponentially greater than the 8500 backers currently onboard. I think it is an issue of underwhelming exposure combined with peoples unrealistic expectations of what a real kickstarter looks like. This is a result of companies using kickstarter as a presale for games allready well into development. If it funds and they begin offering a new simplified swath of pre-purchase options (all of which should be less lucrative than the kickstarter tiers) they easilly stand to double the initial two million. Especially over the next two years as word spreads, game polish increases, and launch aproaches.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    That's not going to be CU or even close to it. Put on your parachute and jump off the hype train please.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

Well given that CSE has been a big part of developing many games before, and they have characters running at 400 fps with 12k polygons in a networked invironment, I think its pretty safe to say that they can finish the game from  a technical standpoint.

I doubt that anyone will dispute that these guys have what it takes to make a game. They have done so in the past, so why not.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I'm strugling to find what the excitement is. As far as I can see, the game is narrow on scope, isn't really offering anything that unique, inovative to justify it's place high up in the hype rank. And to be honest, I can't see a quality MMO game being made with that tiny budget. I know of a tech demos that had cost more than 100k to put toghether. 
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by taurak

Well given that CSE has been a big part of developing many games before, and they have characters running at 400 fps with 12k polygons in a networked invironment, I think its pretty safe to say that they can finish the game from  a technical standpoint.

God. Lay off the 400 fps. What they are showing in the graphics demos doesn't have a UI, shadows, sky, weather effects, reflective water, the complete set of 6+ different race models that will be in at release plus  different character creation selections, the many various armor and weapon models and skins that will be in the real game, buildings, trees, grass, rocks, chat windows, spell effects that will be better than the flames they imported from MoZ, and any number of other things that will slow down the client in the real game. You're not going to load CU and go RvR in December 2015 and get 400 fps or anything close to it.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• nf4mousnf4mous Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    I'm strugling to find what the excitement is. As far as I can see, the game is narrow on scope, isn't really offering anything that unique, inovative to justify it's place high up in the hype rank. And to be honest, I can't see a quality MMO game being made with that tiny budget. I know of a tech demos that had cost more than 100k to put toghether. 

RvR sounds like it's going to mirror DAOC's RvR, which was rather amazing.  Did you ever play it?

as far as offering someone unique, i'd say the large update on crafting specifics and being similar to minecraft is rather intriguing.   talk about needing the entire realm's cooperation to secure major resources while giving lots of room for creativity / housing originality.

• GrimborGrimbor Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by taurak

God. Lay off the 400 fps. What they are showing in the graphics demos doesn't have a UI, shadows, sky, weather effects, reflective water, the complete set of 6+ different race models that will be in at release plus  different character creation selections, the many various armor and weapon models and skins that will be in the real game, buildings, trees, grass, rocks, chat windows, spell effects that will be better than the flames they imported from MoZ, and any number of other things that will slow down the client in the real game. You're not going to load CU and go RvR in December 2015 and get 400 fps or anything close to it.

Just reading this I can tell you have about zero knowledge of graphics and framerates.  Half the things you list are completely irrelevant.  UI?  Not even apart of the visualization engine.  All their demos use unique models at the polygoncount they are going to use in the game, not the same model.  The only thing you mentioned that makes a difference is environmental objects and particle effects.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    To be accurate we might get to play the tech demo ... it certainly won't be CU.

You stay sassy!

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by nf4mous

RvR sounds like it's going to mirror DAOC's RvR, which was rather amazing.  Did you ever play it?

as far as offering someone unique, i'd say the large update on crafting specifics and being similar to minecraft is rather intriguing.   talk about needing the entire realm's cooperation to secure major resources while giving lots of room for creativity / housing originality.

I did a bit, but at the time I was more into EQ. I am, however, more familiar with WAR and more recently with GW2 take on RvR. The main drawback on RvR as I see it when a side begins to establish supremacy. They begin to monopolise the resources and the losing side just lose their motivation and in the end the wining side can only defeat themselves despite all the handicaps. At worse it can kill the game. But I admit, that when it works, and the fights are close, it's good fun

The sandboxing element is the one thing I will keep an eye on. Mincraft has proved that a well done sandbox can be great fun and have longevity. However, there are a lot of MMOs comming out that have sandboxing elements in their game and it's probably where the future lies in MMOs.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by nf4mous

I did a bit, but at the time I was more into EQ. I am, however, more familiar with WAR and more recently with GW2 take on RvR. The main drawback on RvR as I see it when a side begins to establish supremacy. They begin to monopolise the resources and the losing side just lose their motivation and in the end the wining side can only defeat themselves despite all the handicaps. At worse it can kill the game. But I admit, that when it works, and the fights are close, it's good fun

The sandboxing element is the one thing I will keep an eye on. Mincraft has proved that a well done sandbox can be great fun and have longevity. However, there are a lot of MMOs comming out that have sandboxing elements in their game and it's probably where the future lies in MMOs.

That's where the third realm comes in for RvR.

And agreed with regards to the Minecraft sandbox elements. It looks very interesting. I'm very excited to see what Mark and company can do with it.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    From what i know about Mark, we'd already be at 3 million that they would keep working hard to show us what they can do.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    The tech demo will prove that the team is capable of creating the structure of an MMO with a networked system allowing users around the globe to run around in the same 3D world and interact with each other.  But of course anyone at all familiar with the resumes of the team involved shouldnt really need a demonstration of that.

Thats the easy part, which is why all the demands for seeing an alpha build have been so absurd from the start.  The thing that actually differentiates MMO's from each other are the ideas behind them.  The principles that the developers follow and the experience they are trying to create.  Different creators have different goals and different ideas of what players think is "fun".

You buy other games and you get the list of exciting sounding features and the screenshots and prerendered videos of amazing graphics, but the marketing team for those games never actually tells you what type of gameplay feel the creators had in mind until youre 3 hours into playing it.  By the time you realize its too casual, or perhaps too hardcore, or just too simplistic, youve already paid the full retail price and wasted your time.

What you should actually care about are the opinions of those people making your game about what their game should be like, because that is what is going to shape the decisions they make while they create your gaming experience.  And that is exactly what CSE has given us.  That is why its been so important that MJ and his team have focused mostly on stating straight out what their goals and ideas for this game are.

I could certainly understand if this was being made by some random schmuck in his parent's basement.  But these are experienced industy professionals with numerous projects behind them.  Whether they can create the basic structure of an MMORPG shouldnt even have to be in question, and honestly it seems kind of insulting that anonymous people on forums want to claim it is.
  • mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64
    Maybe EA could fund the rest of the KS... lol :P

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    That's why you have three realms ;)
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

CSE should have made stretch goals so people got their attention.

I would love to see this project being launched, but I fear it won't with 8 days left.

• LaeeshLaeesh Member UncommonPosts: 95

I think this thread´s name is "false advertising" =/ I highly recommend to consider a more comprehensive new name.

*Edit* "Think of this as "Open Internal Access" for a few days." I would change this as well =/. Title of the thread and this quote make me feel like you want to attract new people, what´s really great, but i think this titel and quote are way to far away from fact.

Maybe you name your thread "you will be allowed to play the CU tech demo" or something like that and for the "open internal" thing at the end maybe "open internal tech demo light" I just want to give you that as an advice, but people are likly to feel fooled.

Not meant as an offense! =)

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    In reality WAR didn't look bad and the animations were pretty solid so I seriously doubt Mark Jacobs will allow CU to look bad either. The problem is the likelihood of it playing poorly.
  • SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

CSE should have made stretch goals so people got their attention.

I would love to see this project being launched, but I fear it won't with 8 days left.

I really do not think stretch goals would help and cannot even understand the reasoning behind how they could.

Basically, you would need to convince me that people not backing the game with a $2M target would suddenly back it if a stretch goal placed at say, $2.5M, appealed to them. Or, at the very least, existing backers would pledge more. Why? If they do not like the base game enough to pledge so that it gets made at all, why would a stretch goal not essential to the core game prompt them to do so?

I do not think that is how stretch goals work at all. I think what stretch goals do is convince people to keep pledging once a project reachers or nears its goal. Think of it as a way to prevent people from saying, "Well, it is funded, so now I do not have to back it and can wait until it is done." This does not work when the game is over $600,000 away. This is why I still think there was no point in MJ mentioning any stretch goals when we barely crossed $1M. Focus on stuff relevant to getting the pledges to $2M, not something that would be great to add if the game exceeds its target. If anything, I think it alienates people more, as evidenced by people on this very forum saying, "The Depths should be in the base game, now I am not pledging at all."