Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what mmorpg are you looking for?

david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Just had a thought after reading some of the new games that are releasing this year and next and I'm not seeing it. To me this would be the MMORPG I would want, it will be a mix of some that are out there but would be my perfect game.

Graphic- AOC - just not a cartoon

World size and Instanced- Vanguard - Big open world

Crafting- WOW- Simple but effective

Combate- Tera or Neverwinter- Just something that has hot keys but also skill based.

Social- WOW- easy

Skill Tree- AOC or Vanella WOW- don't want anything simple and as you level it becomes your build not cookie cutter.

Just seems Devs are trying a lot of new thing, GW2 taking out the trinity which I didn't like or AOC's combat which doesn't feel natural and the timing is screwed up. Maybe if they take some of the ideas from all these games or a few you may come up with the best MMO ever. And fyi, if it's not broke don't try to fix it, put your money into making what works great.

So just mix up a few games and come up with the MMO you want.

Peace

Lascer

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Fun MMORPGs with some ARPG elements or vice versa.

Something like a Marvel heroes but with more polish. PoE also fit the bill.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

P2P with no microtransactions at all. 

1. Relatively well funded.  Swtor / GW2 budget not needed, but cannot be few million indie project like MO,DFO.Xsylon.

2. Mainly PVE. Limited PVP possible, but not necessary.

3. Open world - one world, no cross-server, no zoning and no zone cloning.

4. Instanced dungeons ok, but cannot be only or crushingly dominating focus.

5. No automatic & teleporting LFG tool. Manual LFG tisting tool possible.

6. No add-ons, no macroing, no dps and other meters.

7. Western rather serious style. No WoW/GW2 sillysness, pop-culture or modern easter eggs/references. No asian kawaii stuff.  Eventual funny or relaxing things have to draw from in-game lore and be tamed. Think Game of Thrones style of handling fantasy.

8. Combat - either tab combat with existence of pro-active classes like Lotro's Warden or Rune-Keeper OR some new kind of combat system that uses enviromental physics - you can slip on ice, get tired  in snow, rain douse fire and make you move slower, etc

9. Interesting ccrafting + decay system + player shops without or with limited only AH.

10. No hand-holding = no quest gps, no pop-ups, no omnipotent item highlighting and map markers telling you what to do.

11. Fast exploit fixing, stern approach to cheating, generally banning cheaters, gold seller and gold buyers.

12. No microtransaction of any kind. ANY.

13. Focused on getting medium sized playerbase / niche.   Cannot be one trying to appeal to middle mainstream population and trying to get fat millions rivaling WoW, GW2 or  other popular onine games like CoD / LoL/ Diablo 3.

14. Challanging.  No mind-numbing face-rolling to get 5000 tokens or game world polluted with fields of mobs standing next to each other in every single space.  Adventure, challange, danger and game world that make more sense.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

EVE style gameplay set in a fantasy universe.

Or DAOC 2 (the non-WOW version)

Pretty much sums it up.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jalexbrownjalexbrown Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by Sulaa

1. Relatively well funded.  Swtor / GW2 budget not needed, but cannot be few million indie project like MO,DFO.Xsylon.

7. Western rather serious style. No WoW/GW2 sillysness, pop-culture or modern easter eggs/references. No asian kawaii stuff.  Eventual funny or relaxing things have to draw from in-game lore and be tamed. Think Game of Thrones style of handling fantasy.

8. Combat - either tab combat with existence of pro-active classes like Lotro's Warden or Rune-Keeper OR some new kind of combat system that uses enviromental physics - you can slip on ice, get tired  in snow, rain douse fire and make you move slower, etc

9. Interesting ccrafting + decay system + player shops without or with limited only AH.

10. No hand-holding = no quest gps, no pop-ups, no omnipotent item highlighting and map markers telling you what to do.

11. Fast exploit fixing, stern approach to cheating, generally banning cheaters, gold seller and gold buyers.

13. Focused on getting medium sized playerbase / niche.   Cannot be one trying to appeal to middle mainstream population and trying to get fat millions rivaling WoW, GW2 or  other popular onine games like CoD / LoL/ Diablo 3.

14. Challanging.  No mind-numbing face-rolling to get 5000 tokens or game world polluted with fields of mobs standing next to each other in every single space.  Adventure, challange, danger and game world that make more sense.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the microtransactions part, because developers want to make money.  Their goal isn't to entertain you; that's just means to an end.  Microtransactions are everywhere now, in pretty much every genre and just about every game.  Would you honestly expect someone in the industry to say, "Nah, we don't really want all that money"?

Originally posted by jalexbrown

I wouldn't hold my breath on the microtransactions part, because developers want to make money.  Their goal isn't to entertain you; that's just means to an end.  Microtransactions are everywhere now, in pretty much every genre and just about every game.  Would you honestly expect someone in the industry to say, "Nah, we don't really want all that money"?

Yes. They're for money and it's business. I never said otherwise.  I don't have to buy their product if I don't like it though. I am not here to pay for whatver industry produce either.   In exchange for game design I would like and no microtransactions at all present in game at the same time - I am willing to pay higher than current 15$ industry  standard subsciption.  

It's simply became one of few fundamental mmorpg features for me.  I simply won't play an mmorpg with cash shop, gold selling ,rmah, etc even if it will be good enough in it's all other features. Same with developers adding microtransactions later. I already tried to cope with it when my long-term mmoprg went freemium and this was a huge mistake. Mistake I won't make again. I am done with compromise in this matter in mmorpg sphere, even if that means I will never play an mmoprg again.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

1. Open world (without any level barriers- hate it when 90% of the map is never seen again once you hit cap)

2. No levels (in the traditional sense), but skill improvement and other rewards such as gear, aesthetic items etc. 

3. Preferably FPS or TPS combat. 

4. Robust crafting system and player economy. 

5. Consensual open world pvp. 

6. Player housing. 

7. Rather than arena pvp, a team mini game (of sorts) played in open world accessible stadiums, call it football or quidditch or whatever) 

8. No bloody dwarves, elves or dragons or sub-Tolkein fantasy settings. 

9. No vampires, werewolves or anything that features in those godawful Twiglet films.   

Yes. They're for money and it's business. I never said otherwise.  I don't have to buy their product if I don't like it though. I am not here to pay for whatver industry produce either.   In exchange for game design I would like and no microtransactions at all present in game at the same time - I am willing to pay higher than current 15$ industry  standard subsciption.  

It's simply became one of few fundamental mmorpg features for me.  I simply won't play an mmorpg with cash shop, gold selling ,rmah, etc even if it will be good enough in it's all other features. Same with developers adding microtransactions later. I already tried to cope with it when my long-term mmoprg went freemium and this was a huge mistake. Mistake I won't make again. I am done with compromise in this matter in mmorpg sphere, even if that means I will never play an mmoprg again.

I applaud your tenacity and the fact that you've accepted the consequences of it.  For better or worse, no matter what the hardcore attackers might think, a large portion of the MMO playerbase has been telling the industry that they don't have a problem with microtransactions.  You can picket and protest and kvetch all you want.

I applaud your tenacity and the fact that you've accepted the consequences of it.  For better or worse, no matter what the hardcore attackers might think, a large portion of the MMO playerbase has been telling the industry that they don't have a problem with microtransactions.  You can picket and protest and kvetch all you want.

You don't see me chaining myself to corporate buildings do you?  So that reference was uncalled for and unnecerssary.

Anyway. I am not looking for game that is attractive for majority of playerbase anyway.  I realized long ago that my tastes in mmoprg genre vary from tastes of majority of playerbase.   If there will be ever a game made for my tastes (not ideal, I've stopped looking for holy grail long ago -  just 'good enough') and without microtransactions - then I will pay for it.                      If not then I will not.   Majority of mmorpg playerbase can play their wide-range of titles available - current mmorpg's evolved into type of games I am not interested in anyway - even if they would be microtransaction & rmah free.

You don't see me chaining myself to corporate buildings do you?  So that reference was uncalled for and unnecerssary.

You don't recognize hyperbole when you see it, do you?

• Vynxe_VaingloryVynxe_Vainglory Member Posts: 20

I want a game that has no stats, no tooltips, no map (other than one you make yourself), no distractions from immersion whatsoever (other than players speaking):  Purely about discovery and paving your own playstyle.

The tutorial would be a motivational speech, which teaches you how to unlearn the way you've played games in the past and prepare your creative mind to expect anything, not within mechanical limitations, but within common sense limitations.

There would be lots of variety and skills, but nothing would be explained, nor would it feel like it needed to be.

An exciting discovery of a new spell or weapon would be a true experience of learning and immersion.

Coming across a new dungeon or enemy (which would be realistically rare) after trekking through a beautiful landscape would create a massive feeling of adventure and danger.

Your character would get stronger, but you'd never know  exactly by how much, or by what actions you've become stronger; everything would simply be intuitive.  

By your own common sense, you'd be able to improve skills, craft, raid, start guilds, whatever it may be.

This mechanical philosphy coupled with an IP and storyline execution that provided the needed epic immersion would be a godlike MMO in my opinion.

I think the best chance of getting a game like this made is not for the  developer to fully flesh it out, but to allow heavy  modding of a good fantasy MMORPG by the player base. 

If there were advanced mod development tools available, the impressive mod community would be able to fill in the gaps.  You can already essentially achieve a similar singleplayer experience with largely modded RPGs. 

But I think if the original goal was to be toward this end, it would turn out perfectly.

Okay, okay. Now you may stop being so passive agressive.  

Still friends?

Still friends?

Sorry to break it to you, but we never were and I am not here to make any either :)

Still friends?

Sorry to break it to you, but we never were and I am not here to make any either :)

If nobody in this community cared about anyone else, we'd all just be a bunch of people rattling off our heads talking to ourselves since nobody would be listening.  If you don't want to be my friend, I'm taking my ball and going home.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I'll post this list again

* Have the elder scrolls writers do the story.

* Have Vindictus combat  in an open world

* Have GW2 DEs, multiple "Fractal" like dungeons, dye system, improved WvW, and cash shop model (can purchase items with in-game gold)

* GW1 Guild Halls and PvP options

* Housing from Wildstar

* Armors from TERA, Skyrim, and GW2

* Option to duel and refuse duels

* Option for guilds to conquer or own PvE areas with the ability to tax or provide bonuses to the people in the area (kind of like TERA's system)

* Meaningful crafting (No idea how to do this)

* Offer guild management, tradepost, and mini-games with in-game rewards on android and apple stores

* Fuse Bethesda,  Trion, and ANet teams to work on it.

* Buy to play

I like this thread, because as you can see, everyone wants something different. If you are waiting for the perfect game, you may as stop playing mmos all together.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Still friends?

If nobody in this community cared about anyone else, we'd all just be a bunch of people rattling off our heads talking to ourselves since nobody would be listening.  If you don't want to be my friend, I'm taking my ball and going home.

You don't need to be someone friend to listen to what he says. Same with agreeing (or not) with what other person say or learning from it. Anyway - safe travels !

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Personally I think the next big MMORPG would've been a game to do a fresh take on MMORPG combat without being too twitch-centric (in other words staying true to the reason RPGs are popular.)

1. A completely unique-feeling combat system.
    2. WOW's Group Coordination: Well-designed specialization systems with clear roles.
    3. COH's general structure of allowing solo gameplay but rewarding grouping with faster progression.
    4. RIFT's dynamic world events, but using them as a gateway drug to dungeon runs.  So when you randomly group with some people to defeat an invasion node (or event) you are awarded with a unique portal that leads to a Bonus Dungeon.  Only the players you randomly grouped with to defeat that invasion can enter this unique dungeon -- it can't be entered any other way.
    5. COH's content scaling.  Whether you enter the bonus dungeon with 4 players or 40, the content will scale to match.  Slightly better rewards with more players.
    6. COH's difficulty slider options.  Want challenge?  You'll always be challenged right from level 1 (and progress faster as a reward!)   Want relaxation?  Set the slider back a bit and take it easy (but the rewards will match.)
    While the other points are important, Point #1 is most imporatnt.  The details underneath that point would be the thing that differentiates the game and gives it the potential to blow up into something new and huge, rather than familiar and mediocre.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by david361107

Just had a thought after reading some of the new games that are releasing this year and next and I'm not seeing it. To me this would be the MMORPG I would want, it will be a mix of some that are out there but would be my perfect game.

Graphic- AOC - just not a cartoon

World size and Instanced- Vanguard - Big open world

Crafting- WOW- Simple but effective

Combate- Tera or Neverwinter- Just something that has hot keys but also skill based.

Social- WOW- easy

Skill Tree- AOC or Vanella WOW- don't want anything simple and as you level it becomes your build not cookie cutter.

Just seems Devs are trying a lot of new thing, GW2 taking out the trinity which I didn't like or AOC's combat which doesn't feel natural and the timing is screwed up. Maybe if they take some of the ideas from all these games or a few you may come up with the best MMO ever. And fyi, if it's not broke don't try to fix it, put your money into making what works great.

So just mix up a few games and come up with the MMO you want.

Peace

Lascer

Graphics: ArcheAge/Black Desert

World Design: Vanguard/Lineage2/ArcheAge

Crafting: Early SWG

Combat: TERA

Social: FFXI

Skill Tree: Path of Exile

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

Ok, here we go. Should be fun.

Graphics: Donkey Kong 64. Seriously. The view players get for the entire game view as far as the player can see renders in less than a second even on a POS connection and computer. Also, give the option to upgrade the graphics level for money payment.

Crafting: Use Free-Form Crafting. Give the players a pattern to make the items and let them choose the items they use to create the end product. You have the pattern for a shirt, you can use it with any cloth/skins and it will scale according to the items you use to make it. You use better thread, the shirt will have increased durability. You use better cloth/skin, the item will give you better bonuses.

Combat: WoW style combat is fine. Target the opponent and use the skills on the target. Each skill shows a range on the ground that you can use it within, only visible to you.

Stats: Cooldown time is based on your stamina in combat and how difficult the skill is to execute. Defense works like a shield, blocking damage but letting some go through when the armor is broken. Attack is based on how much you've used the weapons.

Skills: Let players increase different aspects of skills in increments using a sliding scale or introduce new factors depending on the trainer. For instance, Magic Missile for one player could hit the player 3 times and have increasing damage per hit, while another player might have it hit the target once at a higher range and a larger damage amount. No stealth, but character perception, which would effect players ability to hide certain aspects of themselves and get away with it. The "Rogues" would hide marks of their affiliation and weapons to match a less threatening persona. New skills would be learned while the player is offline and take a certain amount of offline time to be accomplished.

Character Advancement: Allow players to drive where their playstyles lead them. Allowing players to advance upon leveling up would give the character more chances to specify their intended role. Giving players more options to specify their role would lead to new types and help reinforce those types left by the wayside. Picking a primary mode of Energy/Rage would be the user's first decision in the game to decide what their character will play like. This would also play off of the character's Stamina stat. Energy would encourage strong bursting gameplay that ends quickly, with less long term battle capabilities. Rage would encourage building up power over long periods of time with less short term burst phases. Characters would either advance towards their Rage/Energy heightening these phases or advance towards the other ones making them act more like the other one.

Adventure: Players are given a basic map with some major landmarks on it. Small landmarks like towns, paths and lesser known instances are to be discovered and marked by players on their personal maps. Players can sell duplicates of sections of their maps to other players.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

I think Guild Wars 2 is my favorite mmorpg so far but I think we've all played a handful of great ones. There is a lot I don't like about the genre even out of it's best representations, but I don't know why some people think it's about a developer putting together all the perfect parts to make The One Game. GW2 might be the one I go back to most lately when I am in the mood for an MMO but that's not because I had a list of everything I wanted and I got it. I think some of the best games right now are not MMOs. Actually, let me put that a different way. I'm having the most fun with games that are not MMOs right now. It doesn't feel like the options available are bad so much as the games I enjoy most are different games.

There are so many game genres and so many forms of entertainment outside of games to enjoy, and definitely not enough time to enjoy all of it even if it occupied 100% of your time. I think there comes a point when a particular genre or form of entertainment has SO many options that if you're not having fun with any of them, it's time to pick a different genre or hobby. The worst 'carrot-on-a-stick' MMOs get a lot of flack sometimes, yet that's exactly what some of you are doing to yourselves trying every mmorpg and piecing together the 'best-of' acting like there's perfection out there if someone would just do it right or if you would just explain it right for the right people to make it.

I suggest accepting one of the thousand options we have or accepting that you're not finding the genre to be fun. I don't see anyone talking about "what 'video game' are you looking for?" outside of mmo conversations. Maybe you think 'what video game do I want to play at the moment?' but that should be like a 5-second conversation with yourself. Forum topics are usually "was this one game fun or not?". You buy a game and you either like it or not, then move on to another game.

Mmorpgs fans can start to sound like they are either the spoiled child with a thousand toys not happy with any of them, or like they need their 'perfect' mmorpg to complete their life. It's my advice to just stop looking for "The MMO" for you if you honestly look at the list of a thousand MMOs listed here and can't find a single one you enjoy when you want to play an MMO. You might get forever stuck in the search for something that doesn't exist, that you think you will love because you haven't played it yet, when I think the problem lies in you if you can't enjoy anything that does exist (all alternate games and hobbies included). No offense intended. I'm not saying this all to criticize the type of person you are so much as suggesting your way of going about finding entertainment might be self-defeating if you keep wanting something that you can't find.

TL;DR ~ Just seems to me some of you guys are trying to piece together different things you enjoy in order to describe the holy grail of entertainment. That is not going to be one mmorpg, and why would it need to be? Just enjoy all the options we have, even if it's in different genres or hobbies.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    I also hope MMO developers venture forward to just create another fun game instead of working so hard to create something that hasn't been done before. Entertainment has been done before. Try and pave your own path and I think you're straying from all the things that have already proven to be entertaining to everyone, and it's clear when a developer does this. They end up creating something that hasn't been done before because it was always a bad idea or a bad combination of good ideas, and it turns out horrible. I think there's a lot of horrible mmos because of this 'it just hasn't been done right' mentality, regurgitating bad ideas or things that don't work no matter how they are done.

I agree. There is no need for any compromise. We are only talking about entertainment products. No need to spend a single dime, nor a single minute on stuff we don't like.

Hence, i won't play a sub game again. F2P all the way. And they better have good instances, and LFD/LFR, and social features. No compromises.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Sulaa  It's simply became one of few fundamental mmorpg features for me.  I simply won't play an mmorpg with cash shop, gold selling ,rmah, etc even if it will be good enough in it's all other features. Same with developers adding microtransactions later. I already tried to cope with it when my long-term mmoprg went freemium and this was a huge mistake. Mistake I won't make again. I am done with compromise in this matter in mmorpg sphere, even if that means I will never play an mmoprg again.  
    I agree. There is no need for any compromise. We are only talking about entertaiment products. No need to spend a single dime, nor a single minute on stuff we don't like. Hence, i won't play a sub game again. F2P all the way. And they better have good instances, and LFD/LFR, and social features. No compromises.
    Yup I agree too. People sometimes say "It's only a game".   Exactly it's only a game, an entertaiment and that's precisely why noone have to or should do go on compromises, at least not on compromises he / she cannot accept.

Hence I won't play mmoprg with microtransactions (including rmah and similar) again. Better it does not have automatized matchmaking systems, apart of good instances have also have strong open world and non-combat activities and build their gameplay with 'each server is separate  virtual world and society' concept in mind.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I want Darkfall, but with a developer that gets all those small details correct.

I also want a Darkfall clone, but pure PvE. Lots of PvE with mobs so hard you can't possibly kill them.

Then add in EQ like dungeons. I just haven't experienced dungeons like that since EQ. Some of that for me was the fear of death that is lacking in modern games.

What I like about Darkfall so much:
    1. Open world
    2. No glowing icons or beacons
    3. boats - best boats in any game in my opinion
    4. Skill based - (but I do think they should break the skill/stat chain and just end it at max level of skills.
    5. Mounted travel and bind point.
    6. Trade required, no auction
    7. Climb anything, no closed in canyons that funnel you to the next appropriate area.

Asdar

Yup I agree too. People sometimes say "It's only a game".   Exactly it's only a game, an entertaiment and that's precisely why noone have to or should do go on compromises, at least not on compromises he / she cannot accept.

Plus, there is so much entertainment out there, there is zero reason to waste even a minute on anything that is not fun.

Good time to be a consumer.