Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Flame & Frost’s Epic Conclusion

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

ArenaNet is getting ready to bring the Guild Wars 2 event, Flame & Frost, to an epic conclusion. We've got the inside scoop on what players can expect. See what's incoming and then head to the comments to discuss the article.

Last week, we caught up with the folks at ArenaNet to talk about April 30th’s upcoming epic conclusion to the Guild Wars 2 Flame & Frost Living Story arc: The Retribution.  Over the past four months, ANet has been building a new tale of heroism and danger featuring brand new characters (the Norn Braham and the Charr Rox) as players aid these two in the fight against the scourge of the Flame Legion and Dredge.  It began slowly with whispers of strange happenings in the surrounding countryside, and built to a grander scale as players worked their way through a few solo instanced missions and subtle hints and clues as to why the dredge and Flame Legion were working together.  And next week on April 30th, the conclusion of this tale will be rung in by a brand new dungeon intended for players of all levels.  In addition, the sPVP teams have been hard at work bringing the organized and structured “eSport-like” PVP up to snuff. With the April 30th patch, spectator mode and custom arenas are finally making it to Guild Wars 2. But enough with the foreplay, let’s get to the details, shall we?

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: Flame & Frost’s Epic Conclusion.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    OMG.. Spectator mode.. FU*** YEAH! The update which added observere mode in gW1 was one of the best updates ever when i played it. I'm sure it will be similar for me with gW2. I simply like watching pvp =]
    Btw. According to some other site there is more to this patch. Like new guild rush mission where we are transformed into quaggans and soem  other smaller stuff.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    If the reward for playing that dungeon is good, people will play it, otherwise they will just complete it few times to see all it has and be done with it.
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    People completed the Mad King Dungeon repeatedly and to be honest, I don't think it gave much.

This is not a game.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    new dungeon (story mode essence)= ill be there!

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

Every single month...not since Asherons Call.

GW2 is the best MMO on the market because of it...they are releasing content faster than any 2 other games out right now and some of it is big.

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Zeroxin
    People completed the Mad King Dungeon repeatedly and to be honest, I don't think it gave much.

Hell, some of us just solo'd the Mad King "Dungeon", and it still didn't give much in the way of phat loots. It was fun as hell, though. Hopefully this one will be equally as fun.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I was hoping this would be a new dungeon! Group content FTW!
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Lots of good stuff. I have struggled to keep playing this game at times. Given up come back ... They keep cranking out this new content though and it draws me back in. I think i have finally settled in and found a sweet spot that fits me well in this game too. Really looking forward to custom spvp and spectator.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Zeroxin

Actually people often got exotics at mad king. It was time when exotics were actually worth something.

I wish they nerf CoF so they can make other dungeons more significant or more often played. For example, Crucible of Eternity is challenging, not too long, and rewarding, but people still don't play it because CoF is more profitable.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    nice effort there. i quit about a month after i bought the game, but in every try i make to get back there is no feeling. 2-3 hours every month and thats all. good game but not for my taste i guess
  • umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    i think it's time to dust off the ol' bunker ranger and start recording. "biggest balance patch"...sounds amazing. 
  • fritifriti Member Posts: 3
    Awesome news!!
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Frak the story...SPECTATOR MODE!!!!!!

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Having these will rise PvP to a when new level (for gw2)why?bragging !why else lol.that was after all why gw1 became the best PvP game In 06 or so.after the spectator patch you couldn't hide your trick.build changed more often then any sane would have believed.I mean team build not personal build.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by umie214
    i think it's time to dust off the ol' bunker ranger and start recording. "biggest balance patch"...sounds amazing. 

I think the biggest impact will have their admittance that it's not possible to balance pve pvp and wvw at the same time. They said they finally decided to go more aggresive about skill splits between the three.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    I came in late in to this event and I have to say I was a bit lost and as a result didn't do all that much.
  • Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610
    Originally posted by JasonJ

Every single month...not since Asherons Call.

GW2 is the best MMO on the market because of it...they are releasing content faster than any 2 other games out right now and some of it is big.

You have obviously never played RIFT. I play both so its easy to compare.

They have a long way to go before coming close to Trions flood of content and features. Some RIFT updates are what other games would class as full blown expansions.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• DiemosDiemos Member Posts: 129
    Rift is good but its slowed down a lot and it has a sub. this will be the 7th major content update in about 8 months, all with no sub. I agree its the best themepark MMO out.

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

• I hardly play more than 10 hours a week now but I still enjoy the WvW :)

Hailing to all my fellow GW2 players!

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I just want a challenge from this game, one that exists outside of the realm of handcuffs and blindfolds.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Diemos
    Rift is good but its slowed down a lot and it has a sub. this will be the 7th major content update in about 8 months, all with no sub. I agree its the best themepark MMO out.

Rift has released 23 very content heavy updates, as well as a very large x pac in 25 months. GW2 s updates generally are alot smaller then Rifts.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    This new dungeon sounds interesting.  It seems like they've been listening to feedback on current dungeons and the way they are designed..  i guess we'll see how they changed them with this new one.
  • KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Soki123

Rift has released 23 very content heavy updates, as well as a very large x pac in 25 months. GW2 s updates generally are alot smaller then Rifts.

True, but GW2 is just so damn pretty

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

Originally posted by Rzep
    I came in late in to this event and I have to say I was a bit lost and as a result didn't do all that much.

Even if you came in late, all you need to do is hover your mouse over the name of the achievements for the living story and it'll tell you where to go and what to do.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Soki123

Alot smaller? I don't know which Rift you've been playing but Rift didn't unlock a new region, have a halloween event and then a Christmas event back to back. And let's not even talk about April Fools.

This is not a game.