Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is AFK Macroing Runestones, Food and Fossils Not Considered Cheating? - NO Bans

MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178

Why would Aventurine allow afk macroing in the safe areas for runestones, food and fossils
and not ban players for this?

The popular script today has your character dig, move foraward - dig, move back - dig, etc...

I should have known it when they put all the effort into allowing multi-boxing support on Day 2.

Comments

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    AFK macroing has been a key part of Darkfall's gameplay since Day 1, almost 5 (?) years ago now.  Asking them to take out AFK macroing is like asking them to remove PvP, or worse, since people spent far more time macroing than PvP-ing.
  • GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

Use and distribution of unauthorized third-party programs is strictly prohibited by our Terms of Service (http://www.darkfallonline.com/legal#legal_pages-page-2).

Users that are suspected of engaging in such activity are thoroughly investigated and when sufficient proof has been collected, they are swiftly dealt with by being permanently banned.

We hope this answered you question. Thank you for asking us about this and please lets us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Regards,
    Customer Support"

They will be collecting proof to ban these people.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Greymoor, do you actually think they are going to ban everyone using AutoHotkey or who has a Logitech Keyboard plugged into their computer?  These are the only things needed to afk macro as the OP was describing.
  • MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by RollieJoe
    AFK macroing has been a key part of Darkfall's gameplay since Day 1, almost 5 (?) years ago now.  Asking them to take out AFK macroing is like asking them to remove PvP, or worse, since people spent far more time macroing than PvP-ing.

Yes, AFK macroing was an integral part of DFO.

BUT witth the introduction of the prowess system for DFUW and unholybanner.com were we not led to believe this is different now in both policy and gameplay mechanics?

Originally posted by Greymoor

I think you are delusional if you think GMs/AV are 'collecting proof' when the characters are macroing right there in your face in the safe zones.

All the GMs are doing now are safely logging the AFK macroers out.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    wait for ban waves before making drama threads.

My blog: image

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by MMO_Fan

I think you are delusional if you think GMs/AV are 'collecting proof' when the characters are macroing right there in your face in the safe zones.

All the GMs are doing now are safely logging the AFK macroers out.

Proof should be collected in the form of data mining the database.  They should have velocity checks in place for this to know when there is abnormal behavior. 

Of course, who knows if AV has put any such system in place.  My guess is no.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    You can't macro with the way the system(s) are now!  It has to be a bot which is bannable.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• MegaD61MegaD61 Member Posts: 59
    I like em persoannly.  Whenever I get low on food I just find one of these guys thats been working for hours.  Its not easy but you CAN push anyone that moves out of the safe zone.  If it bugs you enuf make a clan dedicated to killing potatoe macroers and go round policing Agons safe zones!
    And anyways have you ever cooked? Its not that much prowess and it suffers from diminishing returns very fast.  You could AFK macro/dig 24/7 and I could go out and pVe 3 Hrs a day and I would get more prowess in the long run then the digger.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Why would Aventurine allow afk macroing in the safe areas for runestones, food and fossils
    and not ban players for this?

The popular script today has your character dig, move foraward - dig, move back - dig, etc...

I should have known it when they put all the effort into allowing multi-boxing support on Day 2.

ToS - unattended gameplay not prohibited... hence the AFK /shrug

Most likely while they run this script they are just sitting there surfing net and when GM messages them they respond, thus not totally unattended. Only reason I can think of...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by MegaD61
    You could AFK macro/dig 24/7 and I could go out and pVe 3 Hrs a day and I would get more prowess in the long run then the digger.

People are setting up the AFK macro at server up then going to work in the morning: 8+  hours AFK.

Then setting up to run the AFK macro overnight. 8+ hours AFK.

Figure 16+ hours per day AFK macro harvesting supplies and food.

That way the characters are productive 24/7 and you have a neverending supply of runestones and more.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Dont expect bans to start coming unless the game gets a dramatic increase in paying customers...

They've been temp banning people, only perma bans show up on the banhammer.

The only thing you can 'bot' atm is the digging, that's only in safezones (or you get ganked for those goods). That alone makes it easy for GM's to catch you.

The only thing you can 'bot' atm is the digging, that's only in safezones (or you get ganked for those goods). That alone makes it easy for GM's to catch you.

I have reported ~25 characters for AFK macroing using /gmreport in the last 4 days.

NONE of them have been temp banned.

The GM's are ONLY logging them out after they are reported and when they get to them.

When the players wake up / get home from work they log right back in.

I have reported ~25 characters for AFK macroing using /gmreport in the last 4 days.

The GM's are ONLY logging them out after they are reported and when they get to them.

What are these afk macroers doing?

As I mentioned in the first post:

They are all afk macroing in the safe areas for runestones, food and fossils.

The script has your character dig, move forward - dig, move back - dig, etc...

I am talking ONLY about AFK macro harvesting as above. Digging is harvesting the ground.

I am talking ONLY about AFK macro harvesting as above. Digging is harvesting the ground.

Well atleast you can guide them out of the safezone and gank them, that's something until they're banned.

Well atleast you can guide them out of the safezone and gank them, that's something until they're banned.

I have had the GMs log players off a few times after I reported them - while I was moving them out of the safe area.

So, this presents me with a choice: report them or go for the loot.

I have had the GMs log players off a few times after I reported them - while I was moving them out of the safe area.

So, this presents me with a choice: report them or go for the loot.

GO FOR THE LOOT!

Seriously though taking everything the people have gathered in the safe zone not only benifits you the active player but takes everything away from the macroer.  THAT is how this should be handled.  NOT GMS doing stupid stuff just some players that push the AFK diggers out of the save zone and take there tons of food.

• luvbooxluvboox Member Posts: 87

I agree; if there is a way for players to police this I'm all for it.

Plus, PHAT LEWTS.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

It took a while but they did begin to issue bans in Darkfall for un-attended macroing.  I can only assume they will do the same here in time. 

~Hairysun

Originally posted by luvboox

I agree; if there is a way for players to police this I'm all for it.

Plus, PHAT LEWTS.

I won't say how/where but depending on how/where they set up to do the afk macro, it may not be possible to move them out.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I have always believed that macroing of any kind does not belong in achieving any kind of accomplishment in gaming. The ONLY thing a macro could be good for is like in SWG using macros for guild advertising bots. 

I will always view anyone who uses macros for levels/skills as lazy and unable to play a game as intended.  If the previous statement isn't true, then don't use macros, simple.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804
    You could before afk macro everything in this entire game, Now they removed the ability to do it except for digging. I don't think you guys could handle it if there wasn't macroing to complain about.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------