Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jake Song (ArchAge) and Kevin Saunders (Torment) comment on CU

binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153

Just saw these quotes posted here:

Jake Song, creator of Lineage and the upcoming masterwork ArcheAge, tweeted:

"Hey Mark, best of luck with 'Camelot Unchained'. I am now personally one of your pledgers!"

Kevin Saunders, Project Lead for Torment, comments:

"Especially for this stage in development, the battle technical demos for Camelot Unchained are astounding -- to achieve such fluid motion with so many unique characters onscreen bodes very well for what will be possible over the course of a couple years of work.

But after watching update 16, it's the Depths that's has me most excited. It's truly inspiring from a design perspective. There's clearly a host of design (and technical) problems that need to be solved (with "who gets to be the boss?" as one you call out), but intuitively I sense it's all very achievable, and with results that will be spectacular. I have no doubts that over the course of development your team will be able to provide a unique and compelling experience to which the acronym MMORPG will do a disservice."

Having industry figures of this caliber show confidence Camelot Unchained  makes me feel like all this stuff that sounds so amazing is achievable - and that's exciting!  I know there's been a lot of speculation back and forth about whether the CSE team can actually do the stuff that they are proposing, and a lot of people are concerned about it.

I don't have the  technical background that would make me know what a project should look like in this very early phase of development, - but Jake Song and Kevin Saunders?   Wow!   Very cool to see, and gives me a lot of confidence in the project.  :)

Comments

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Maybe this helps the kickstarter along, since as it is now, it sure needs all the help it can get. Not personally interested in the game and couldn't even use kickstarter, if I was, but hope it gets made, for the people who want it. It would also give me a chance to get it, if it does get my attention, when/if it will be closer to launch.
  • DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by binskki

Just saw these quotes posted here:

Jake Song, creator of Lineage and the upcoming masterwork ArcheAge, tweeted:

"Hey Mark, best of luck with 'Camelot Unchained'. I am now personally one of your pledgers!"

Kevin Saunders, Project Lead for Torment, comments:

"Especially for this stage in development, the battle technical demos for Camelot Unchained are astounding -- to achieve such fluid motion with so many unique characters onscreen bodes very well for what will be possible over the course of a couple years of work.

But after watching update 16, it's the Depths that's has me most excited. It's truly inspiring from a design perspective. There's clearly a host of design (and technical) problems that need to be solved (with "who gets to be the boss?" as one you call out), but intuitively I sense it's all very achievable, and with results that will be spectacular. I have no doubts that over the course of development your team will be able to provide a unique and compelling experience to which the acronym MMORPG will do a disservice."

Having industry figures of this caliber show confidence Camelot Unchained  makes me feel like all this stuff that sounds so amazing is achievable - and that's exciting!  I know there's been a lot of speculation back and forth about whether the CSE team can actually do the stuff that they are proposing, and a lot of people are concerned about it.

I don't have the  technical background that would make me know what a project should look like in this very early phase of development, - but Jake Song and Kevin Saunders?   Wow!   Very cool to see, and gives me a lot of confidence in the project.  :)

Very nice to see other people in the game industry show support for this project. Hopefully, their Kickstarter supports give Camelot Unchained a look now.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    I can't imagine a more powerful endorsement for this game and the KS.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Hello, logical fallacy of appeal to authority.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz
    I can't imagine a more powerful endorsement for this game and the KS.

How about 20,000 more backers? 

The problem with games like CU is that they need money from potential players before the game can be created.  However if you go too niche into a game your marketable player base is going to be small.  When it is small like CU looks to be its going to be a tough sell to get the funds needed to build the game.  Building a niche game is a good idea in today’s MMO market if you have the money and plan only to spend a few Million vs hundreds of Millions in building a game.  However CU is just like many other kickstarters out there PVP oriented with little to no PVE, plus a hardcore twist to the game.  So what makes people want to back 1 kickstarter over another?  To make up for these niche games the kickstarters need to have big carrots on a stick; look at Richard Garriott’s new MMO as an example.  If you are a crafter want the best plot in the game for a house plus no fee vendors give him $1500 and he will give that to you.  How many people are going to spend that kind of money?  TOA wants to do Prema-death like UO game, how many people do you think want to get involved in that game?  The same amount of people that like Mortal Online. 

Any of these games I mentioned here I would have backed and played when I was in my late teens early twenties, back before WoW ever launched and UO was 1 world and even went Trammel came out.  Today?  Hell no I don’t have time for these niche type games just like the Average MMO player and why would I back any of these games that as far as an Average MMO player is concerned.  This is why when players get into these beta’s or on the forums of TOA we say we don’t want the hardcore type of play.  We want in-depth games without feeling grindy or a job.   CU either needs to accept that it will take longer to get to the customer base what they want to build or they need to deal with what a larger player base will bring.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

That's pretty cool.

Yeah I hope CU funds.

I mean I love EVE online and all, but I wouldn't mind something more modern/current to play, with a RPG type characte running around rather than a spaceship.

no interest in all these themepark mmos.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• dantheman13dantheman13 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Very cool.  If you haven't been following the Kickstarter thread, I'll repeat what others have said: don't give up.  Many similar Kickstarters get a 30-40% boost in the last three days.  Things are looking good if this Kickstarter follows suit.  
  • BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48

Looking to craft in this game., that's the main reason I would play, and of course some PvP. I like the idea of no  PvE drops. Looking forward to hit the mines.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Hello, logical fallacy of appeal to authority.

Hello, complete and utter lack of understanding of logical fallacy.

These are endorsements from competitors in a very competitive industry.  Lighten up and recognize when something positive is happening.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

From the latest Torment update:

Camelot Unchained and Divinity: Original Sin

For those of you who are interested in MMORPGs (or just the crowdfunding phenomenon), you might check out Camelot Unchained, which focuses on realm versus realm gameplay. They have some interesting new design ideas that innovate on MMOs and will provide a unique experience. City State Entertainment’s founder, Mark Jacobs, is contributing $2M of his own money to the project and they are supporting the Kicking it Forward initiative, pledging to donate 5% of their finished product’s profits to other Kickstarters. (Camelot Unchained will be a subscription game, not free-to-play.) Their Kickstarter is doing well at over 2/3 funded, but still needs a strong finish to reach their funding goal over the next week.

Very nice shout out from InXile.  Hopefully helpful as well. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Lots of folks want CU to succeed, the issue remains if there is enough of a playrbase to warrant making the game period.I'd love to see CU succeed and play it one day, but I can't ignore the hard facts - 23 days into the kickstarter and we don't have 9000 backers yet.Maybe there is not enough interest to justify spending millions on something that won't see a return on investment.

i am interested but not going to throw money at rich people just so they can get richer.

personally, just not a fan of KS at all. make a KS where i actually get a return on my investment and we will talk.

i am certain a whole heck of a lot of people feel the same way. so my point is, there is absolutely going to be more people interested in this game than just the backers.

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Wow, those are two of my all time favorite developers.  That's quite an endorsemnt.  I hope it serves the project well.

Yeah, Jake and I met when I was in Korea a number of years back. Quite a bright fellow and Lineage is one of the most important, if not the most important, Asian MMO so his backing of CU is great. I'm truly looking forward to ArcheAge.

Kevin's endorsement really came out of nowhere. His letter was just overwhelming and it meant a lot to me since I don't think I've ever met him or if I did, it was just a "hi and bye" sort of thing.

Brian Fargo's Kicking It Forward campaign could have a major impact on KS if most of the games that endorse it succeed. Whether or not CU funds, I want to see more success stories come out of KS. CF has already had an impact on the industry and when folks like Obsidian and inXile release successful games, CF will get another boost.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I just love seeing this kind of thing,  it's nice to see such comradery in the industry.  It gives me hope that the MMOrpg genre is not dead and can be revitalized by these outstanding people that endeavor to create new and innovative games!  Refreshing!

• Originally posted by baphamet

Lots of folks want CU to succeed, the issue remains if there is enough of a playrbase to warrant making the game period.

I'd love to see CU succeed and play it one day, but I can't ignore the hard facts - 23 days into the kickstarter and we don't have 9000 backers yet.

Maybe there is not enough interest to justify spending millions on something that won't see a return on investment.

i am interested but not going to throw money at rich people just so they can get richer.

personally, just not a fan of KS at all. make a KS where i actually get a return on my investment and we will talk.

i am certain a whole heck of a lot of people feel the same way. so my point is, there is absolutely going to be more people interested in this game than just the backers.

The way I see it, $25 is pretty cheap for a game. So certainly a return on my investment, there. There's of course some risk involved since it could turn out I don't like the game and have then wasted $25. But since I've liked what I've seen so far, I decided to take that bet.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

I want CU to come to pass but just doesn't seem people want this type of game anymore even though people complain about a game not having it.

This World.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176

I'd pledge a couple hundred dollars tomorrow if they revisited their archaic stance on no PvE.

Same with DFUW, I'd buy a copy tonight if they implemented a PvE server.  Asheron's Call had White (PvP flagging) and Red (PvP on all the time) and I played the White servers for years.

Keep your archaic and niche audience and you'll have a niche player base.  This is why mainstream MMO's apeal to me, because they add many things for many people.

SUP

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

I'd pledge a couple hundred dollars tomorrow if they revisited their archaic stance on no PvE.

Same with DFUW, I'd buy a copy tonight if they implemented a PvE server.  Asheron's Call had White (PvP flagging) and Red (PvP on all the time) and I played the White servers for years.

Keep your archaic and niche audience and you'll have a niche player base.  This is why mainstream MMO's apeal to me, because they add many things for many people.

An "archaic" stance? It is actually a "progressive" stance - archaic would be doing PvE just like basically every MMORPG since the beginning has.

It may not be for you, and that is fine - fortunately you enjoy mainstream MMORPGs so you can throw a stone and hit five games you might like - but it is certainly not archaic.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

well there's crafting and crafting will supposedly be very very important.  to me, crafting is PVE even if the game's developers dont call it PVE.  so there might be reason for you to play it if part of what you enjoy about pve is crafting.

also i believe there are safe zones which means at least it isnt just one giant arena.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by itchmon

well there's crafting and crafting will supposedly be very very important.  to me, crafting is PVE even if the game's developers dont call it PVE.  so there might be reason for you to play it if part of what you enjoy about pve is crafting.

also i believe there are safe zones which means at least it isnt just one giant arena.

It would be an interesting experiment to also put up a pve server then compare player pops per server after awhile.  I am thinking the pop on the pve server would be much larger than the pvp server.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Mystais
    Originally posted by itchmon

It would be an interesting experiment to also put up a pve server then compare player pops per server after awhile.  I am thinking the pop on the pve server would be much larger than the pvp server.

PVE server would be kinda like an "original" minecraft? 

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

Lots of folks want CU to succeed, the issue remains if there is enough of a playrbase to warrant making the game period.

I'd love to see CU succeed and play it one day, but I can't ignore the hard facts - 23 days into the kickstarter and we don't have 9000 backers yet.

Maybe there is not enough interest to justify spending millions on something that won't see a return on investment.

This.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

This is a pointless concern. If you look at other successful KS runs for games their total backers are only a fraction of the playerbase they end up with at release.

There is a very large disconnect between who is willing to back a project and who is will to buy a game at release after traditional advertising campaigns.

Just look at how many are showing interest if only to discuss the concept. Across numerous game sites and even other gaming forums CU is being talked about be it possitive, negative or neutral. There will be nearly zero connection between this KS and release 3 years from now for most of the future client prospects and most will not even know the game had a KS campaign the day they decide to buy the game.

You stay sassy!

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Heretique

I want CU to come to pass but just doesn't seem people want this type of game anymore even though people complain about a game not having it.

This World.

No, we want the game, we just want it in a full realized MMO with pve and the like, so you would be correct in saying not enough want this particular "Only" type of game, we WANT the rvr system but has to have pve and for that matter a fully realized concept would be nice.

edit :This kickstarter needed to be thought out allot better before implmented is my biggest concern atm, well that and the mentioned above.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by chaintm
    Originally posted by Heretique

This World.

No, we want the game, we just want it in a full realized MMO with pve and the like, so you would be correct in saying not enough want this particular "Only" type of game, we WANT the rvr system but has to have pve and for that matter a fully realized concept would be nice.

edit :This kickstarter needed to be thought out allot better before implmented is my biggest concern atm, well that and the mentioned above.

So in essence you want this game to be just like every other game that has come out in the last decade. A game that tries to be everything for everybody, and in doing so winds up doing a piss poor job.

The reality is that you don't want this kind of RvR system, because if you did, you would instantly understand how the PvE you're looking for destroys the RvR (Trials of Atlantis anyone??) you claim to want.

This mmo is very much a fully realized concept, it just isn't your particluar flavor of concept. Luckily for you, there have been nothing but craptacular games that have catered to "a little bit of everyone". Thankfully, this isn't that game.