Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funding this isn’t Just for CU, it’s for the genre.

WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

What has the genre become over the last decade?

A stale, scripted, copy paste, linear, innovative-less, lazy, cut scene heavy, steaming pile of corporate cash cowing crap.

You know it, I know it.

Games like The Secret World, Defiance and SWTOR with little to no social systems or depth of features beyond the millions of dollars they blew into shallow story lines and cut scenes have proven that this mmo formula does not stand up. Games with only the short term appeal of less than a month because the game its self is so shallow once you see through the polished turd of the voice acting and scripted story.

Innovation has skewed off on this single player story line tangent that has buried this genre into the ground. Why? Because we, the consumer, continue to feed companies millions of dollars which in turn are easily able to churn out shallow games and market it like it is the next coming of Jesus.

And we buy into it. Every time.

-----

We as MMOers need to support the developers that want to push innovation in the direction of gameplay and depth of features, not cut scenes and hand holding story lines.

We have the money, we have the power. If you are like me and have not truly enjoyed an MMO since vanilla wow, than not being a part of this is somewhat hypocritical.

Recent failures have really proven that players enjoy a game with freedom and depth of features. We don’t need a storyline to be pushed through to have a fun gaming experience. Quite the opposite, most players play mmos to live a virtual life. They want to feel a part of the world they are playing. Being force through an artificial and linear story breaks all the immersion of what an MMO is supposed to offer players.

---------------

Be part of the solution and support developers that want to create depth of features though rich gameplay and immersive worlds, not cut scenes and voice acting. Developers don’t have to be innovative if there is no money in it. Most developer’s continue to use the same worn out linear formula because they claim that sandbox style games are “too risky”. Only ones to blame are us.

Even if CU doesn’t exactly turn your crank, its success will inspire other developers to create mmos with gameplay depth; the way innovation was supposed to progress in the first place. Our money is what drives the genre, drive it in the right direction.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Thread lock in ...5...4...3...

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by WellzyC

What has the genre become over the last decade?

A stale, scripted, copy paste, linear, innovative-less, lazy, cut scene heavy, steaming pile of corporate cash cowing crap.

You know it, I know it.

So clearly the cure for that is to back a game based on a 13 year old game that was scripted, linear, wont be innovative in its base design since its an old one, and uses lazy ideas?

If you are going to rant, rant in a way that cant be turned against you. I dont even like the idea of CU but I can come up with a better reason to fund the game...

Because former DaoC players will never get another DaoC style game if the original developers cant make one. So, if you want DaoC style PvP, better back the game...the rest of the industry hated the idea so its your only chance to get it. Go donate now!

See, not that hard.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    There are shitloads of "sounds great on paper" kickstarters I could back right now.  An rvr only game doesn't really float my boat. The Repop, Pathfinder, and Divergence got my money.  And quite frankly, the more you CU guys beg for money, the less I want to back the project. 

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

It is not the savior for the genre. Other games have been funded, GW2, etc and they have been produced. Just because people, on this forum, doesn't like them, doesn't mean they are not good games.

People saying this game with the 'The Savior of MMO's'? We are now in the total hype region.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Tierless

If it funds the genre will shift. If it doesn't it will continue down the path of irrelevance and cash shops.

There is no way in fucking hell a niche game like this will change the genre.. Sorry but it wont happen.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

If it funds the genre will shift. If it doesn't it will continue down the path of irrelevance and cash shops.

Games are irrelevent. I mean do they save people. prevent wars, cure cancer? I think this is waxing hyperbole but the point I am trying to make is they are just games. They are meant to be fun. If not fun, then why actually play one.

The genre won't shift, even if this game is made. More people are playing MMO's and the genre will diverge even more.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

I don't think funding CU will change anything.   What has changed things has been the financial failure of many themepark MMO games.  They have been such huge financial failures that companies are not exploring alternatives.  How do you make an MMO game for under $10m?   Well, about the only way to do it is to basiclly gut the PvE content and/or rely on cash shops to fund the development.   CU is just the first of probably many developers to try to come out with a game that can be made for under $10m without a cash shop, so it has decided that PvE must be not just severely reduced, but essentially cut altogether.

I think what CU tells me is that an all PvP game is truly a niche market, as the # of backers seems rather low. However, those players are truly devoted players as seen by the average pledge amount.  

• MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92

Sorry JasonJ,

the concept of CU is so much more than DOAC, this is not only about pvp or realm vs realm. This is about a virtual sandbox with three groups of people who want to have the best place to build their sand castles. And they will fight over it desperately. You will have a defined amount of sandforms, and you will have a defined sandbox holding this, but the rest is up to the realms and their communities. There is more than simply beating the enemy realm because of character progression. It's more about defending your realms progression, and defending the things your realm mates build up. Btw: the sandbox will be huge. Do not think of the zones like those back in daoc times, or like zones in gw2. They will be bigger by far. Otherwise there would not enough space for all the structures.

Honestly, I wait for the anouncement that all players are on one server, like EVE :D

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

There is no way in fucking hell a niche game like this will change the genre.. Sorry but it wont happen.

Pretty much. The guy can dream though. Me, personally I found his whole post funny as hell. Even more sure that games aren't the problem it's the people playing them.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

This is already popular enough to set an example.

If you are satisfied with lack luster MMOs like Defiance, than by all means, keep spending money on them.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

actually, regardless of whether or not CU funds i see a shift back to the sandboxier style of game.  look at the other games coming out.  Archeage is a hybrid "sandpark" and from what we hear they actually reworked EQN from scratchto make it more sandboxy.   on the indie front we have repopulation,  another ultima game, etc... for pvp centric games you even have DFUW that just launched.

this new focus on "different games" is actually the developer community responding to the path to irrelevance and cash shops that you mentioned... in other words people saw the writing on the wall and begun to change the games they were developing.

I hope CU gets funded (i did back it) but there's no need to make it out as the messiah of MMO gaming.  the genre is going to self-correct itself regardless of the success of one kickstarter.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

wow...now this game is going to save us all from bad mmos ?

Can you smell the desperation ?

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by WellzyC

This is already popular enough to set an example.

If you are satisfied with lack luster MMOs like Defiance, than by all means, keep spending money on them.

Have to comment here. As much as the idea of CU, is something I ve been looking forward to, thats all it is, a CONCEPT. I was one of the bigger fans of DAOC, and look forward to what this game might be, but I don t fund concepts. As I said on another post, if someone is sitting with a guitar in hand, with the case open. He s not playing it, but says he can, I m not throwing any money in the case. If they re at least trying, sure I ll throw some in.

I can afford to fund the hell out of this project/vision/concept/ideas/..... but I m not on principle alone.

Besides whats lackluster to you, someone is enjoying the hell out of.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Multiple threads have been posted with this sort of sentiment. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.