Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the most motivating gameplay factor? (poll)

PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Let's assume the game is fun (why else play it?).

That aside, what is the biggest motivating gameplay factor for you in any MMORP game?  It could be new or old, real or imagined, experienced or looked-forward-to.

Is it...

Progress - gear, statistics, accomplishments, standing...

Influence - other players, guild-members, enemies...

Skill - muscle memory, situational awareness, strategy, practice...

Wealth - becoming a benefactor, heir, steward...

Discovery - revealing the world, research, exploration...

Design - seeing an original plan come to life...

Fame - recognition, monuments, legacy...

The particular games I've played aren't important to this poll, but I've played a few and spent nearly a decade in my game of choice.  These are the primary motivating factors I could think of to continue playing any MMORPG.  I'm interested in hearing what motivates others in their gameplay activities.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    I voted "discovery". But this is another one of those polls that, really, there's multiple answers that equally fit. And in this case, they are all very important to me.

Once upon a time....

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    The OP misses combat. If the combat is not fun, i won't play the game. Progress goes second.
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    For me it would be vertical progression, once i reach cap im left wth "What do i do now?" feeling.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i voted other.  i almost voted discovery.  i want an immersive,  creative,  well put together,  world that i can lose myself in.  i want to feel as though my character is a part of it.  
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Does the OP not play games for the enjoyment of the act of playing games?

Because only "skill" refers to the actual act of playing -- everything else refers to surrounding metagame -- and skill is only part of what makes the actual gameplay fun.

The games which keep me playing are the ones that attach those fun metagame elements onto a game which is fun unto itself.  But if it's not fun in the first place, no amount of metagame elements are going to make it fun.

Meaning: the fun itself is the most motivating factor.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Progress.

In skills paticulary. When I unlock all the skills i usually quit the game.

Which makes me especially pissed with GW2.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Dzone
    For me it would be vertical progression, once i reach cap im left wth "What do i do now?" feeling.

Do you even know what you said?

progression.. meaning cap, meaning end game?  

Hey people, there is another solution.  Sandbox gamers have been slapping you in the face with it for over a decade now.  Time to wake your asses up and smell the roses.

You are left with that feeling because you apparently only think that you can progress in a way that makes you stronger.  I'd say, start a profession,  Except most games now use crafting as a means to progress in combat.  I'd say, build a home and decorate it.  Or become an in-game real estate agent.  Buying plots low and selling high.  Become rich through a variety of means and gain fame among your peers.  Oh wait, megaservers are destroying community.  Build a ship and sail around the oceans (most games don't have explorable oceans), destroy other ships, kill sea monsters, have a fishing expedition or claim islands as your own.  Ah, can't do that either.  Go tot he local tavern and RP with some friends, Ah, most games frown upon this.  Explore your world!  Damn, dungeon and group finders that teleport you instantly ruins that too.  Sit down in the park and play chess or checkers with a friend or even stranger.  Nope, most MMO's think mini-games are a waste of time.  Build a castle and rent out vendor NPC slots to reputable players and create the first server player made shopping mall.  Ah, not possible in most games.  Tame wild animals!  Wolves!  Bears! Dragons!  Nope, taming wild animals isn't possible because most games don't have wild life or taming in general.  Oh, but you get battle pets!  Woopy!  You could be a rare collector!  Go around purchasing or finding all of the rarest items in the game!  Ah yes, there is no such thing as rare items anymore.  Literally all items are rare in todays games.  Be a survivalist!  Live only off the land, no cities, no NPC's, only player interaction and what you find in the wilderness.  Can't do that, NPC cities are vital to progression.  Hell, in some games you can't even obtain skills or levels unless you visit a NPC.  Capture an enemy keep, making a name for your guild and yourself.  This is possible in some games.  Open world PvP anyone?  Once in Everquest, I knew a guy who sat in a pumpkin patch every single day.  He roleplayed a blind old man.  Every single day.  Sad?  Perhaps.  Awesome as well?  Agreed.  Journy to the bottom of a dungeon for no other reason than to see whats there.  See that mountain?  What's at the top?  Oh sorry, invisible wall, no climbing skill.  Be a great theif!  Nope, can't do that in most games.  

Sigh...

There is more potential for video games than what most of you could ever imagine.  There is so much more than endlessly chasing a carrot on a stick.  I feel sorry for the people who only care for 'pew pew pew'.  

• socalsk8trsocalsk8tr Member Posts: 65
    Think you should actual gameplay to the poll I've seen tons of games that have one or more of each of these but the game over all just blew because the playability of the game was severely lacking in general though personally I believe it takes a melding of all of these things incorporated into one finalized product to give it that last bit that keeps me playing.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

That aside, what is the biggest motivating gameplay factor for you in any MMORP game?  It could be new or old, real or imagined, experienced or looked-forward-to.

Is it...

The particular games I've played aren't important to this poll, but I've played a few and spent nearly a decade in my game of choice.  These are the primary motivating factors I could think of to continue playing any MMORPG.  I'm interested in hearing what motivates others in their gameplay activities.

That you missed Socializing, Combat and Story leads me to believe you either recently read something that you interpreted poorly or you're asking your question in a very strange and unclear way. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I voted skill but I also like games I can be stylish with and I don't mean cosmetics though I like that too. I mean with combos and moves/animations. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    The OP misses combat. If the combat is not fun, i won't play the game. Progress goes second.

Exactly.  I'm not even going to bother voting.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

That you missed Socializing, Combat and Story leads me to believe you either recently read something that you interpreted poorly or you're asking your question in a very strange and unclear way. 

+1

Story / lore,

Dive into the world (maybe that could fit into OP's discovery, but not an exact fit since it doesn't have immersion) and

RP / Socializing would be my top 3 votes in any rpg.  (and socializing is not OP's influence btw... I mean, seriously, influence? lol... paired with wealth and fame? Dude, you have some gaming issues I think :) )

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Im first and formost an explorer/adventurer/dicoverer in games thats why i love Elder Scrolls games and Darkfall 1 exploring AGON gameworld was realy nice.

Gameworld for me must be huge and one open free roaming world to explore other wise im not realy interested.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Though some have claimed the OP ommited certain aspects that they felt really should have been mentioned. I see them as easily inferable by what the header terms would denote. especially since there is the use of  "..." at the end of each description for the category  titles (which may be taken to be synonomous with "etc." when occuring at the end of a running sentance).

While there is such a thing as not knowing how to write well. The other side of that coin is there being such a thing as not knowing how to read well. I think any lack of full description for brevities sake would had only been remedied by something so long and descriptive, that the OP would have gotten a TL;DR from the same people who complain about lack of descriptivness.

For my own part, I voted for Discovery. I really don't like a locked door, or closed off area. and especially so when I see others access it. I strongly compelled to look behind the curtain. And, new-to-me discoveries in an MMOG keep me going. I rarely even level cap in a game because I only progress by what is needed to get into an area, and then into the next. my first activity in an MMOG is to try and get to some object or landmark I really shouldn't be able to get to or have no good reason to be on top of, or to break the map barrier, and things along those lines.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Exactly.  I'm not even going to bother voting.

Yeah .. it is funny the OP Is missing the gameplay element that most players spend most of their time on.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Red is dead
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    More than not i end up joining a guild just to find the guild leader and officers are trying to use thier position of guild power to meet chicks so i voted other, i think i have seen more people trying to meet women than actually playing the games.
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    More than not i end up joining a guild just to find the guild leader and officers are trying to use thier position of guild power to meet chicks so i voted other, i think i have seen more people trying to meet women than actually playing the games.

Really? I never met anyone in a MMO trying to meet women. In fact, most of my ex-guildies (since i already quit) are married.

And to be honest, it is totally inefficient, if meeting chick is your game. You are much better off going to a love forum, or a dating site.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

Originally posted by KingofHartz

Really? I never met anyone in a MMO trying to meet women. In fact, most of my ex-guildies (since i already quit) are married.

And to be honest, it is totally inefficient, if meeting chick is your game. You are much better off going to a love forum, or a dating site.

I mentioned that i play for fun in teamspeak before, you could hear a pin drop because they others didnt quite understand anything beyond trying to meet women. Im married myself and i was scratching my head, why do you need to play video games to meet women?
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I chose Other because the reason I'll log into a game and play for hours is because I'm thoroughly engaged. When hours fly by, I'm into it and that's why I'll log in again and again. What I'm engaged in can change from minute to minute; discovery, challenge, design, wealth, group endeavors - these are the "what" rather than the "why".

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Is it...

It could be that I'm asking the question in a strange way?

The background to this is that I was designing an event which had a successful first run, but one player complained that the reward wasn't high enough.  This got me thinking about why it is that people play online games at all; I'm very interested in psychology and game design, and have some schooling in mathematics and social theory.  I expected one player's reward could be another player's per-diem.  Anyhow, that's what led me to ask this poll.

Regarding combat: I consider this to be even too general for what I'm asking.  There can be many aspects to combat; i.e. is the enjoyable aspect finally having the right sword, ability, stats or whatever to defeat a powerful enemy (progress)... or is it more about developing the right muscle-memory, "connecting" to the game in the right way (skill)...

Take a look at an older game like Contra; most of the "boss battles" involved memorizing the enemy's "pattern" and dodging in the correct manner or sequence.  Pretty archaiac in one regard, but I don't think I'd be too far off the mark by setting this up as an adjacent design philosophy to a game like... Final Fantasy, where one's ability in combat involved managing character's health bars, mana, etc.

Similarly with socialization, one could say that even socialization is a means to an end.  Over the years certain games have built up entire virtual societies, complete with their own economies, castes, backgrounds, what have you... my poll is aimed more at the question why socialize?  Is it the feeling of helping others on their way, making their journey easier, or keeping an eye on something valuable (wealth)... or perhaps rising through the ranks in a regimented military structure (progress)... being part of a secret society pulling the strings behind the scenes (influence)...

Likewise, story might be about discovery, or it could be more about design or fame given the structure of any game...

It's not a perfect poll, and I expect there to be some cross-over between categories, but I think the key-words provide a decent cross-section without having one or two "obvious answers".

Thanks for the responses so far!  The results are pretty enlightening, and some of the answers have been very insightful.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Given the options it is discovery, and I don't just mean exploring a map; I think this incorporates a number of the other items:  Discovering builds, story, lore (if it is worth discovering which in most mmo's it is not), skills etc.  
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    By the OP's description of Influence I take that to mean Socializing as well as having community/political influence, so in that social aspect of it I voted for that. The truth is I can enjoy myself in a lot of games, even if they aren't the perfect game for me. But what keeps me in one game over another for a long period of time is the ability to enjoy that game with friends. For me, games become very boring very fast if I don't have people I enjoy playing it with.
  • JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

Other.

Variety of gameplay.

If the game locks me into a limited view, that means the ability to play how I want, when I want and no amount of progression or anything else will make up for it. Nothing is worse than a game made by someone that feels they must guide every step a player makes.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Voted discovery but progress is my second choice.  It's why I play MMOs at all.  Exploring a vast unique world filled with mystery and intrigue and beauty all while growing my character in multiple ways such as skills, gear, achievements, story completion, exporation completion, pvp ranks, housing and items that go with, trophies, artifacts,crafting, fishing, mini games and so on.