Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideas on Release?

MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

With the game in a closed beta right now and an expected 2013 release, what do you guys think will be the time?

I'm hoping for summer release but I'm thinking that might be a bit optimistic. =D

Comments

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Mageick

With the game in a closed beta right now and an expected 2013 release, what do you guys think will be the time?

I'm hoping for summer release but I'm thinking that might be a bit optimistic. =D

The earliest will likely be November or December.  The lead dev Gaffney said if everything goes well they plan to release at the end of the year but its possible it will be next year.  7-8 months give or take a month or two is about normal for most modern game betas.  Rift was 7 months,  Tor much longer and I believe GW2 a little bit longer.

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    I really want to play this but dont mind waiting as long and they get it right and it would make a great xmas gift )
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by Zapzap
    Originally posted by Mageick

The earliest will likely be November or December.  The lead dev Gaffney said if everything goes well they plan to release at the end of the year but its possible it will be next year.  7-8 months give or take a month or two is about normal for most modern game betas.  Rift was 7 months,  Tor much longer and I believe GW2 a little bit longer.

exactly, things could go wrong in beta, either with code destruction via accidental erasure, or virus on the server, or bad code monkies getting into the rum bananas.

everything going right is about a 20% chance,  minor delays 30%, moderate delays 30%, catasrophic code monkey issues 20%

lets just hopd if its not an everything goes right scenario that they fix it before they release, unlike certain other titles (vangaurd, eq2, pirates of the burning sea, tabula rasa, sto, ff14, swtor, ect to name a few) its much better to come out with polished release content then fatal flaws......

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Their goal is to release with at least a years worth of end-game content. So November at the earliest. And that's if everything goes smoothly. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    I think November is a good estimate.  Not only is it likely based on estimates, but it's also a great month to release games as the game is still fresh come December which is typically the best month ever for video game sales due to holiday shopping.  I don't really foresee the game being released next year from what I've seen development is going well and the game already has an active closed beta, but Wildstar developers seem pretty particular about polish so you never know.
  • deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    Grr, if this game is released during the fall, I'll be working a full time job and doing 16 credit hours at school.  No time for MMO's during the semester lol.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by stromp45
    I really want to play this but dont mind waiting as long and they get it right and it would make a great xmas gift )

Yep this game has a LOT of potential but i do see potential weak spots.I hope they get into feedback and discussion long before the usual marketing Beta events,so that the game can release as close to perfection as possible.

Not often do i say this  but i actually like all the ideas of this game,i just feel SOME of them are not done DEEP or in depth enough.It is the depth that keeps players busy thinking and having fun,if the game becoems a simple 3 button hotbar masher,it will get tiresome real fast.

You know,dodge away then hit a couple buttons,dodge away,hit a couple buttons,i fear that might happen.

Also a VERY important topic is the Raiding.This seriously needs feedback,if yo umake the msot desirable items in game via Raids,you will alienate a LOT of players.

Point is we need a LOT of discussion between designer and players before any talk of release.I would absolutely hate to see this potentially solid game go to the dumps because the team just wants to rush it out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlveradAlverad Member Posts: 12

Wildstar devs have been engaging in a dialogue with the community for a couple of years now.  You really should check the sticky fansites thread;)  If other game devs out there did half as well in this regard, we'd be living in mmo heaven :p

Join in, it really is a blast seeing this game shape up.  Only time will show what the end product will be like, but it's difficult to stay calm and sceptical in such an awesome atmoshpere between the community and the devs.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Also a VERY important topic is the Raiding.This seriously needs feedback,if yo umake the msot desirable items in game via Raids,you will alienate a LOT of players.

A little off topic here, but why does this alienate other players?  If you make the best gear from raiding and it's only required for raiding, I don't see how that alienates a player that doesn't want to raid since they still have the option to skip raiding entirely.  If the best (PvE) gear wasn't obtained through raiding, which requires significantly more effort to organize and get 20 and 40 people working together than a full group for dungeons or clearing solo content, then you'd be alienating people who enjoy raids since it would be significantly harder to get a raid group together without that incentive.

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    The next beta update and number of beta invites will be a decent indication on how fast beta progresses. From there we can probably guess if its gonna be novemberish or next year.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

November,

It was basically given away by accident in one of the videos if you pay attention.  I think the interviewer actually played it off in a funny way to leak the info to be honest.  The interviewer was asking one of the devs some questions and then said,

"So you were telling me the release is going to be in November correct?" - referring to some conversation they had before the interview when I'm assuming the dev was probably more open to say such a thing since it wasn't public.  The dev tries to kind of play it off and says "well we are definitely aiming for 2013".  So I think we ended up getting the currently planned release date by accident that way.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Margulis

November,

It was basically given away by accident in one of the videos if you pay attention.  I think the interviewer actually played it off in a funny way to leak the info to be honest.  The interviewer was asking one of the devs some questions and then said,

"So you were telling me the release is going to be in November correct?" - referring to some conversation they had before the interview when I'm assuming the dev was probably more open to say such a thing since it wasn't public.  The dev tries to kind of play it off and says "well we are definitely aiming for 2013".  So I think we ended up getting the currently planned release date by accident that way.

I hate being that guy, but could you give us a link to your source?  

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
         IMO, I belive they are going to try to launch it in August.  I know they don't want to rush there game.  But, it would benefit them to release before ESO (this is my opinion).  Also, GW2 did very well when it released for many reasons.  One reason I'm sure led to some extra sales was the fact that August always seems barren with games.  Launching a AAA MMO in a month that has very little activity will net you alot of sales ( again, my opinion).

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
         IMO, I belive they are going to try to launch it in August.  I know they don't want to rush there game.  But, it would benefit them to release before ESO (this is my opinion).  Also, GW2 did very well when it released for many reasons.  One reason I'm sure led to some extra sales was the fact that August always seems barren with games.  Launching a AAA MMO in a month that has very little activity will net you alot of sales ( again, my opinion).

The current beta is so limited in size and is only up to level 22 if I recall correctly. Having them try to release in august honelsty would worry me. While I want to play it as soon as possible I don't think 3 and half months of closed beta is enough for a game like Wildstar, especially because they are talking about taking feedback and constructive criticism  seriously and are willing to re-iterate mechanics and features based on it.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by AIMonster
    Originally posted by Wizardry

A little off topic here, but why does this alienate other players?  If you make the best gear from raiding and it's only required for raiding, I don't see how that alienates a player that doesn't want to raid since they still have the option to skip raiding entirely.  If the best (PvE) gear wasn't obtained through raiding, which requires significantly more effort to organize and get 20 and 40 people working together than a full group for dungeons or clearing solo content, then you'd be alienating people who enjoy raids since it would be significantly harder to get a raid group together without that incentive.

The big problem with this is that all PVE gear is used for the same activities.  I doubt very much if most solo and small group players would care in the least if the best raiding gear was hard to get except that gear also translates into the best at everything else gear as well.  And even that wouldn't be so bad except that it has this posion affect on every aspect of PVE especially over time.  You end up with games where you are expected to have raid gear to do any PVE content because everyone else wants to power though it as quickly as possible.  This fractures the community into raiders and the unworthy masses who are not worth the time to group up with for no other reason than they don't have raid gear on.

I have raided in EQ2 for a very long time and this problem is epidemic in that game and it creates all kinds of issues besides social fracturing like difficutly scaling to.  My dps raid gear toon does many times the DPS as a group only gear toon does without trying and it's really to the point where anything except raiding is just not worth doing in that game.

For instance there are solo instances in EQ2 that give good quality solo/small group gear rewards but some of them are pretty difficult to do in non raid gear.  Some of my fellow raiders in my guild have taken to a contest to see how short a time they can clear one of these zones.  A short instance that might take my non raid gear toon 20-30 minutes to clear I can do in just under 3 minutes on my raid toon.

I really hope Wildstar can avoid that.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    Originally posted by Margulis

November,

I hate being that guy, but could you give us a link to your source?  

It was one of those 20-30 minute gameplay videos of the desert looking zone (Deradune?) released over the last month.  There were a couple so I don't remember which one exactly - watch and you'll see what I'm talking about.