Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

elder scrolls is not the elder scrolls we know.

2»

Comments

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by archeageking

It pisses me off when a developer try to kill a beloved titan rpg such as elder scrolls online, AND FOR WHAT?

make an mmorpg for the masses is that it? greed?  shoudl remind zenimax it doesnt have to be for the masses of mmorpg players. They shoudl cater to the elder scrolls players. THATS FINE BY ME.

Oh zenimax you reap what you sow. 

Zenimax its ok to be a niche game, IT doesnt have to be for the mass market of mmoplayers.

they dont freaking get it.

I dont really care if they were making some other mmo games with different IP, thats fine by me.

However, they had the balls to slap on the name Elder Scrolls to this mmorpg.

In Zenimax's defense people have been clamoring for a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game for years.  Plus it makes perfect sense to turn it into an MMO.

Hopefully some of the systems get ironed out and the PvE world is as fluid and fun as the single player games.

SUP

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh you guys bloody love this 250k bullshit don't you.

In those days that was a LARGE playerbase.

EQ only had 400k
    Swg had 250k
    Ac had 150k
    Ao had 100k

I guess they are all fails though because they don't have the highly dubious 10 meeeeeleon players wow supposedly has.

I fully aware of that.  Thing is I was just useing that as an example of possible sales numbers for TESO.  Add that to the number of people who still thing the game is going to be Skyrim online.  Your looking at pretty good sales for an mmo.  Unfortunately sales numbers mean nothing in the mmo world other than that the Advertising and marketing department did a good job.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah but its not possible sales numbers is it.

13 years or so ago, how many people had broadband? How many people could afford the telephone calls to play a mmo on a land line?
    Originally posted by Rzep
    Skyrim combat, typical Elder Scrolls "level as you use leveling system", scaling enemies ala Oblivion, a focus on story and exploration, fully solo-able, Voiced NPCs, involved Elder Scrolls quests and not kill 10 of that and bring it there,regions based on the ones in previous games, 1st and 3rd person views...oh yea its so not Elder Scrolls.

Hate to tell you this but their 1st person view is the equivalent of zooming in the camara in WoW untill your character fades out and it looks like a 1st person perspective.

Yeah but its not possible sales numbers is it.

13 years or so ago, how many people had broadband? How many people could afford the telephone calls to play a mmo on a land line?

Um it is possible sales numbers.  As that what they could possibly get not what they actually get.  Besided how many people jump on hype bandwagon buying an mmo they drop with in a week only hurting the mmo, millions.  So its sells number could be far greater than expected, and it still isn't going to change much.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Originally posted by maddog15a
    Skyrim combat, typical Elder Scrolls "level as you use leveling system", scaling enemies ala Oblivion, a focus on story and exploration, fully solo-able, Voiced NPCs, involved Elder Scrolls quests and not kill 10 of that and bring it there,regions based on the ones in previous games, 1st and 3rd person views...oh yea its so not Elder Scrolls.

Hate to tell you this but their 1st person view is the equivalent of zooming in the camara in WoW untill your character fades out and it looks like a 1st person perspective.

Apparantly Firor stated to the media prior to PAX that whilst not implemented they did indeed intend to have hands in first person view as in other Elder Scrolls games.  If this ends up being true, who knows...it's still only early in closed beta and too soon to tell.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    god I still have so much more to do in Skyrim and they already said there is another one coming out eventually. What is the point of this thread again?

There Is Always Hope!

how the hell would that work in a mmo???????

anyway i didnt like the way it worked in oblivion anyway, morrowind and skyrim had better systems. 

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Guess you just woke up from a 5 year coma OP. Devs no longer care about the loyal playerbase they care only to draw money from the box sales and a few months worth of subs.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by baphamet

why would a developer want a small group of players raving how good their game is vs a much larger group paying them more money? this is a business after all and TESO is not a low budget indy game.

They could have learned the lessons Bioware did with SWTOR.  They catered to the masses and gave them nothing particularly interesting, and lost a fortune.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    err....thanks for whining in another pointless thread.

+1

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

TESO's radical departure from TES is not a problem? In that case, I guess no one can complain about SWTOR because you can always go play your single-player star wars games!??

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    err....thanks for whining in another pointless thread.

+1

Glad I am not the only one that feels this way. A different developer is making this game and just using the elder scrolls lore. This is going to be a mmo and not just a RPGs. If this is not what you are looking for don't play. So tired of all the cry babies here. This game could be even better then sky rim but you got to give the game a chance. Sigh. 

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

make an mmorpg for the masses is that it? greed?  shoudl remind zenimax it doesnt have to be for the masses of mmorpg players. They shoudl cater to the elder scrolls players. THATS FINE BY ME.

It isnt for the masses, though that is what the heads of Zenimax were told, sadly, the heads of Zenimax do not know the market otherwise they would have shot down the notion of making one based on DaoC which wasnt even close to being the most popular for its time, which is nothing compared to todays market which has little desire to play in the small box that is DaoC gameplay.

Outside this site which is filled with many DaoC players, you will find most have no desire for the game or have many worries its limited gameplay will take away from any actual feeling of playing in a TES game world.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

EQ only had 400k
    Swg had 250k
    Ac had 150k
    Ao had 100k

I guess they are all fails though because they don't have the highly dubious 10 meeeeeleon players wow supposedly has.

EQ had 450k

SWG had 350k

UO had over 300k

Lineage had over 1 million...

FFXI had over 500k...

and I am not even going to bother with you about how many the F2P games of Nexon: Kingdom of the Winds, MapleStory or Ragnarok had so it doesnt make you cry...

DaoC was BARELY top 10...

Either way, no other MMORPG game maker thought the base game design was good enough to copy.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Arclan

TESO's radical departure from TES is not a problem? In that case, I guess no one can complain about SWTOR because you can always go play your single-player star wars games!??

It's fallacy vs fallacy.

One side says that it's not enough like TES so it will be bad.

The other side says that being more like TES would make the game bad.

Both sides can be right for different types of players. What is worrysome for Zenimax is that there appear to be a large amount of people that feel the first way and they have appeared to design the game for the people that feel the second way.

I think it's funny that their game design created sides at all. I think that ideally, they would have wanted to avoid this type of conflict. To me, the game looks forced and artificial. It looks like they took an RvR concept and crammed a popular IP on top of it to sell copies. I seem to fall on the side that prefers it was designed with TES in mind instead of RvR in mind, but that doesn't really make my opinion any more valid than theirs. 

In the end, there is a great divide for this title, at least right now, based on a very broad concept that is nearly impossible to change at this point. Well, at least for the minority of people that visit and comment on forums.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

It pisses me off when a developer try to kill a beloved titan rpg such as elder scrolls online, AND FOR WHAT?

Zenimax its ok to be a niche game, IT doesnt have to be for the mass market of mmoplayers.

I dont really care if they were making some other mmo games with different IP, thats fine by me.

So how many games have you ever created? Or are you yet another person that believes. That just because you play games you are an expert on the creation of them? If you don't like what they are doing, don't play it. If you think it will fail, let it. Otherwise why not put up your own money, and create your own game? Believe or not just because you have played x amount of games in the series. Doesn't mean in any way, shape, or form you own the IP. It is their money, their IP to do with what they want.

BW screwed up my Dragon Age 2. You know what I am doing about it? Not buying Dragon Age 3 if it ever gets released.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by JasonJ

It isnt for the masses, though that is what the heads of Zenimax were told, sadly, the heads of Zenimax do not know the market otherwise they would have shot down the notion of making one based on DaoC which wasnt even close to being the most popular for its time, which is nothing compared to todays market which has little desire to play in the small box that is DaoC gameplay.

Outside this site which is filled with many DaoC players, you will find most have no desire for the game or have many worries its limited gameplay will take away from any actual feeling of playing in a TES game world.

well it was behind EQ definetly.  But it was battling for second spot with SWG.  I call veering between 3rd and 2nd most played western MMO something a bit different to "wasnt even close" (the western bits important, lineage 2 was by far the most sucessful MMO at the time, we just didnt play it that much in America / Europe)

guess EQ has small box gameplay then - seen as at the time they were of simmilar size world wise.  Hell where does that put recent mmos like TSW, neverwinter and swtor  - do they exist in a subatomic box?  or perhaps you mean instancing - NOPE, daoc has ZERO instances of any kind.

its also filled with many disgruntled former SWG players and players who fell out with wow post BC when it started catering to "the casuals", both these groups like to try turn any new mmo into their former mmo of choice.

basicly you never played daoc, and your just playing the latest "cool forum meme" of blaming everying potentially wrong with TESO on "cloning daoc".

Ive seen some funny stuff before, like a gW2 fan boy, slagging off daoc calling it the "first themepark, instanced to hell"  which is hilarious as both statements are untrue, EQ was the first (though neither game is a modern wow clone style themepark, both are much more "explorey")  and daoc has zero instances.   and doubly hilarious as GW2 is essentially a super simple casual child friendly daoc in much the same way WOW is to EQ.

I've also seen people saying stuff like "this sholuld be a sandbox like EQ, not a horrible super linear themepark like DAOC" which is also highly amusing because pre-WOW EQ and DAOC have nigh identical PVE.  DAOC is esentially EQ, + RVR & meaningful crafting, - the instances and tiered gear sets.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

Well, I'm gonna buy it.

Why? Because so far, it looks like something I would enjoy.

This site is full of repeating threads...... *****sigh******

Life is Short, Read a Book.

EQ only had 400k
    Swg had 250k
    Ac had 150k
    Ao had 100k

EQ had 450k

SWG had 350k

UO had over 300k

FFXI had over 500k...

and I am not even going to bother with you about how many the F2P games of Nexon: Kingdom of the Winds, MapleStory or Ragnarok had so it doesnt make you cry...

Either way, no other MMORPG game maker thought the base game design was good enough to copy.

cough GW2 

GW2 is to DAOC as WOW is to EQ (e.g. a dumbed down simpler version)

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

They are not killing off anything. The main franchise will continue to be developed by Bethesda and the MMO will be a seperate entity. Even if the MMO is absolute trash it won't matter. 

Originally posted by Celcius

They are not killing off anything. The main franchise will continue to be developed by Bethesda and the MMO will be a seperate entity. Even if the MMO is absolute trash it won't matter. 

in fact theyve already stopped making expansions for skyrim so they can work on tes 6

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

EQ only had 400k
    Swg had 250k
    Ac had 150k
    Ao had 100k

EQ had 450k

SWG had 350k

UO had over 300k

FFXI had over 500k...

cough GW2 

GW2 is to DAOC as WOW is to EQ (e.g. a dumbed down simpler version)

I am assuming you are talking about WvW to RvR when you say GW2 to DAOC since the rest of the game is nothing like DAOC. With that said, you didn't play DAOC after "New Frontiers" did you? 

This discussion has been closed.