Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should WoW have single player offline or does that defeat the purpose of the game?

RaklenRaklen Member Posts: 11
I have always wondered why WoW has never encorporated the ability to play the game offline or without the need of the internet. This has really just become an issue lately because the internet connection on my campus sucks and continues to time out on my computer, kicking me off and disrupting whatever I am doing in the game. Is there an actual reason as to why Blizzard has the game only online?

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    the entire world and zones are online , why would they recode their entire game to play offline and risk dupes hacks and cheating to keep things on a persons computer vs a server?
  • EquinoxxEquinoxx Member Posts: 17
    *facepalm*
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Are you serious? It's an mmo. You would have to invite about 8 million people to your dorm room for a lan party if it wasn't online. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

They could do it. A large part of the game could be played as a single player game, but there are also large parts of the game that are made as an MMO too. You would also be missing out on the spontaneous PvP and player interactions that alleviate some of the boredom of killing ten rats.

While there are MMOs that might be better rewritten as single player games, I don't think WoW is on that list.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89
    lol unless you want to quest all day and kill npcs... yep, gotta play with other people. that would suck if they recoded the game that way. THEN it will go in the toilet.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Its an MMO, why would it it be in offline mode? OP actually know what an MMO is? or are we being trolled, I go for the latter.
  • NiurNiur Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by lizardbones

They could do it. A large part of the game could be played as a single player game, but there are also large parts of the game that are made as an MMO too. You would also be missing out on the spontaneous PvP and player interactions that alleviate some of the boredom of killing ten rats.

While there are MMOs that might be better rewritten as single player games, I don't think WoW is on that list.

I play WoW on Frostmane EU, one of the busiest servers there is and I'm struggling to find this "spontaneous PvP or player interaction" you speak of. Most servers are so massively imbalanced, that open PvP is almost extinct, and other than the SW trade channel of people looking for arena caps etc, social interaction is at a minimum as well. I think a good chunk of WoW could be done as a single player game...at least the 1-90 experience. god knows I wouldn't notice much difference.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    i've always felt that Chess is an overrated multiplayer game, and really should be more single player friendly too image
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I would like to have them take WoW and make something like the Witcher using their massive lore. I think it could be successful, however at the same time they would take a huge income hit. Financially it would make more sense to just make WoW 2.0 in a couple of years and increase the sub cost to $20 and add some sort of cash shop bonus per month for vanity items.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Raklen
    I have always wondered why WoW has never encorporated the ability to play the game offline or without the need of the internet. This has really just become an issue lately because the internet connection on my campus sucks and continues to time out on my computer, kicking me off and disrupting whatever I am doing in the game. Is there an actual reason as to why Blizzard has the game only online?

This sort of post tells you everything about the kind of people playing these games now. Seriously you need to either grasp the concept of what this game is or look in the single player game market.

Asbo

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Private home server?  Knock your socks off.

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Cheap 3G connections are available starting around 10€/month and they can be used to play WoW. I think people who are unwilling to pay that might not be Blizzard's target audience since Blizzard is a company aiming to make profit.