Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll Added] Which MMO Would You Play 'Offline'?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Have you ever played an MMO, and thought to yourself that the game would be as good, or possibly better if it were not an MMO but a single player game?

I've thought this about The Secret World. The game is fine as an MMO, but the content matter seems ideal for a single player game and the feel of the game seems much more in tune with a single player game where you are on your own. I will admit that the idea of resources being diverted from MMO mechanics resulting in a higher quality game also runs around my head sometimes. :-)

What about you? Has there been an MMO you've played where you would actually prefer to play the game offline? What if the game was a by invite multiplayer game? If so, let us know what that game is, and if you know why, let us know too.

Now keep in mind, this isn't a question of whether or not a game is actually an MMO. It's about games that are marketed as MMOs, where you'd prefer to play them offline.

I don't have a poll because I think it's possible that the list of offline MMOs could exceed the number of poll options. There's no way I'd think of every possible offline MMO option.

I saw this question on Massively.com. I didn't come up with it myself.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Id play SWToR and TSW offline.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,782
    The big reason I want an MMO is for the other players. I really don't want an offline part of it, not even for other players, because that's not the sort of game I want to spend time in. I don't care if there are MMOs that have the option, just not in the one I want to play.

Once upon a time....

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

GW2 and Rift and WoW I would play offline.

Edit, just thought about it. Darkfall would be pretty cool offline. No more ganks. yay!!! top of my list.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Amaranthar
    The big reason I want an MMO is for the other players. I really don't want an offline part of it, not even for other players, because that's not the sort of game I want to spend time in. I don't care if there are MMOs that have the option, just not in the one I want to play.

Well yeah. I didn't start playing TSW thinking, "I want to play an offline game, but instead, I'll play this." I started playing TSW and realized that I thought the game's content and style would be better enjoyed as a single player game. TSW is the only MMO where I've had this thought. It seemed unique.

• drchocapicdrchocapic Member Posts: 27
    The Secret World obviously, a game that I enjoyed greatly except for all his MMO parts. A shame really, it would have made a quite unique and enjoyable single player game.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    EVE :) so I can explore universe without getting one shot , but from other side why would I want to play any MMO offline if there is much more fun to play it with friends.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    FFXI would be really fun if they could scale the level process to match that of a single player game.  There's so much story content and side quests in it.  But I guess that goes without saying since it's a 10 year old game.  Even when I was playing it and content was relevant, I felt like I could never keep up with it.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Amaranthar

Well yeah. I didn't start playing TSW thinking, "I want to play an offline game, but instead, I'll play this." I started playing TSW and realized that I thought the game's content and style would be better enjoyed as a single player game. TSW is the only MMO where I've had this thought. It seemed unique.

what gives you this thought about TSW?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Amaranthar The big reason I want an MMO is for the other players. I really don't want an offline part of it, not even for other players, because that's not the sort of game I want to spend time in. I don't care if there are MMOs that have the option, just not in the one I want to play.
    what gives you this thought about TSW?

The theme of the game is survival horror and solving mysteries. I think they did a good job of having this in an MMO setting, but I think those types of things just work better in a single player setting. While they do make a big deal of the idea that you are just a soldier in an army, it still feels like they expect you to feel special or that they want you to feel like a standout character. That's a much easier thing to do in a single player game.

I am also loathe to admit it, but I think the development resources that went into the MMO aspects of the game would have been better spent on the stories, character animations, and some of the combat. If they didn't have to worry about latency and network bandwidth, the combat could have been smoother.

I imagine a game like Fallout or Skyrim, but within the world of "The Secret World". You could even have the multiplayer dungeons or raids but just not have them integrated into the main world.

Anyway, like I said, TSW is the only MMO where I've really had this thought. It just seemed like a better fit for single player instead of multiplayer.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I would play TSW as a single player and agree that it would be well suited to that genre. Conversely, Oblivion is the only single player game I really, really wished was an mmo.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    none. There are lots of great single player games to play that are superior to mmorpg's in most aspects except for the social end of things.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I'd play SWTOR offline if I could but not all the time. I wouldn't want the game to be even more empty and quiet than it is.

The question almost sounds like, "what MMO would be better if it was offline?" Which is silly. No MMO is better once you remove all the players.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    TESO

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    None; there are better single player games out there than any mmo in terms of gameplay. 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

AOC's Tortage would easily be a great SP experience.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Hellgate London

Originally posted by Jaedor
    I would play TSW as a single player and agree that it would be well suited to that genre. Conversely, Oblivion is the only single player game I really, really wished was an mmo.

What single player game needs to be an MMO is an entirely different question. :-)

Originally posted by mmoguy43
    I'd play SWTOR offline if I could but not all the time. I wouldn't want the game to be even more empty and quiet than it is. The question almost sounds like, "what MMO would be better if it was offline?" Which is silly. No MMO is better once you remove all the players.

I'm not talking about simply removing all the players, though it's entirely fair that is the impression that you got. It would also be a fair question to ask I think. What MMO would be better if you could just get rid of all the other players for most of the content?

To clarify my question and stance a little bit, I think TSW would have been better had it been developed as a single player game, with possible, optional multiplayer elements. I think it's fine as an MMO, and certainly worth the box price, but while playing it I keep thinking it would be better as a single player game.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    Id play SWToR and TSW offline.

Was about to say SWTOR myself, and you're right about TSW as well.

Funny to see this thread there BTW. I was talking about this problem earlier on today in my SWTOR guild and almost everyone agreed that SWTOR is more a single player game than a MMORPG. I for once am sure not to add extra time to my sub when I've hit cap and seen all worlds. Game seems pointless after that and to level a new character only for the personal story seems silly as well. Perhaps one char on the other side to have seen it all, but that's about it...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Tonin109
    TESO

Well played

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Tera, and defiance
  • JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    SWTOR, would have been a better SPRPG than an MMO.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I never tried TSW so I can't comment on that but the whole time I was playing SWTOR I was thinking that it would have made a much better single player game than a MMO. It may just be the fact that I loved KOTOR but it just seemed to me that MMO mechanics just got in the way of what could have been a really great game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

MMOs I'd play offline:  TSW, LotRO

SPGs that I'd like to see as MMOs:  Skyrim (not  TESO MMO which I haven't played yet, so I'll hold off comenting.) 

Baldur's Gate 2

SimCity (just kidding)

Rome: Total War

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    I think ddo and sto would have made quite good single player games.  But play them as just an offline version, no thanks(not that it would have made much of a difference though tbh).