Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Elder Scrolls Online: Question of the Week Talks PvP

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,614MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

The Elder Scrolls Online team has taken to the official site with this week's wrap up of the Question of the Week. In this installment, the team answers players' burning questions about PvP.

It has been mentioned multiple times that players can invade areas surrounding enemy keeps in order to starve them of resources. What kinds of resources are these, and how will they affect gameplay? – By Eric Duey

The three resources around a keep (lumber mills, farms, and mines) fuel its upgrade process. Lumber mills help make keep doors stronger and allow them to repair themselves automatically. Farms make keep guards tougher and stronger, and mines help reinforce the walls, making them harder to destroy and allowing them to repair themselves over time as well. Taking control of resources around keeps also shuts off various patrols in the vicinity, so it’s always advantageous to take resources before laying siege to the keep itself.

Read more on the Elder Scrolls Online site.

image

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

image
«1

Comments

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,451Member Uncommon
    Wicked... about time they gave us more PvP info =-) I found 2 points very intresting. Cant wait for more info on this....Villages are Alliance-neutral. However, guards will patrol a town if your Alliance has captured the nearby keep. This makes it safer for your Alliance to do quests in that town, but you won’t be 100% safe, obviously. NPC towns and villages will not be hostile, but there are NPCs in the wild that are definitely not your friends. 
     
    and... The three resources around a keep (lumber mills, farms, and mines) fuel its upgrade process. Lumber mills help make keep doors stronger and allow them to repair themselves automatically. Farms make keep guards tougher and stronger, and mines help reinforce the walls, making them harder to destroy and allowing them to repair themselves over time as well. Taking control of resources around keeps also shuts off various patrols in the vicinity, so it’s always advantageous to take resources before laying siege to the keep itself.

     

     

     


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • MaelwyddMaelwydd CrawleyPosts: 1,123Member

    Always nice to get more info but games make my head hurt sometimes trying to work out their design logic.

    I mean, to starve an enemy out of their keep you can take control of their farms...but not to actually starve them out by preventing food reach the keep but because it makes the guards weaker...

    of all the things I could imagine when thinking out siege mechanics could work I always wonder why not keep it simple...a keep stores food, the number of defenders reduces the store depending, if the store is reduced to zero the gates open automatically. The strategy is to try and keep food out or to try and get it in.

    Other then that obvious head scratcher some nice info.

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,451Member Uncommon
    [mod edit]


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    I like the idea of taking farms, mills, and mines to weaken keeps. It sounds like it won't be required but it will make it a bit easier if you do it especially if aren't bringing a huge zerg to take the keep. That sounds perfect. I look forward to them revealing more information about the AvA skill line. That's something that will probably be pivotal to deciding how much I like AvA.

    Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I like the idea of taking farms, mills, and mines to weaken keeps. It sounds like it won't be required but it will make it a bit easier if you do it especially if aren't bringing a huge zerg to take the keep. That sounds perfect. I look forward to them revealing more information about the AvA skill line. That's something that will probably be pivotal to deciding how much I like AvA.

    I do as well.

    However, it's a shame that siege engines  are "bought" with points. It would have been so much nicer to have dedicated crafters create them. Maybe even get different quality levels depending on the crafter who made it.

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,451Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

    Always nice to get more info but games make my head hurt sometimes trying to work out their design logic.

    I mean, to starve an enemy out of their keep you can take control of their farms...but not to actually starve them out by preventing food reach the keep but because it makes the guards weaker...

    of all the things I could imagine when thinking out siege mechanics could work I always wonder why not keep it simple...a keep stores food, the number of defenders reduces the store depending, if the store is reduced to zero the gates open automatically. The strategy is to try and keep food out or to try and get it in.

    Other then that obvious head scratcher some nice info.

    ESO devs are trying to stop AvA zergs. Making defense needed just as much as offence taking a keep. Its really smart design. 


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,451Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I like the idea of taking farms, mills, and mines to weaken keeps. It sounds like it won't be required but it will make it a bit easier if you do it especially if aren't bringing a huge zerg to take the keep. That sounds perfect. I look forward to them revealing more information about the AvA skill line. That's something that will probably be pivotal to deciding how much I like AvA.

    I do as well.

    However, it's a shame that siege engines  are "bought" with points. It would have been so much nicer to have dedicated crafters create them. Maybe even get different quality levels depending on the crafter who made it.

    I like anyone being able to get a siege wespon IMO but what I would like to see is crafters being able to make them more poweful.


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

    Always nice to get more info but games make my head hurt sometimes trying to work out their design logic.

    I mean, to starve an enemy out of their keep you can take control of their farms...but not to actually starve them out by preventing food reach the keep but because it makes the guards weaker...

    of all the things I could imagine when thinking out siege mechanics could work I always wonder why not keep it simple...a keep stores food, the number of defenders reduces the store depending, if the store is reduced to zero the gates open automatically. The strategy is to try and keep food out or to try and get it in.

    Other then that obvious head scratcher some nice info.

    Well, I like the idea but it would be better to have it so the "store are empty" and then the players fight at a disadvantage.

     

    A simliar thing could be done with attackers by cutting off their supply line. It would be interesting to have more rts elements in siege defense/offense.

  • JKwervoJKwervo N. Las Vegas, NVPosts: 126Member
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing.

    Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate.

    Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah.

    Hope they pull if off.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Nice info, thanks.

    image

  • DocmanduDocmandu AntwerpPosts: 60Member Common
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I like the idea of taking farms, mills, and mines to weaken keeps. It sounds like it won't be required but it will make it a bit easier if you do it especially if aren't bringing a huge zerg to take the keep. That sounds perfect. I look forward to them revealing more information about the AvA skill line. That's something that will probably be pivotal to deciding how much I like AvA.

    I do as well.

    However, it's a shame that siege engines  are "bought" with points. It would have been so much nicer to have dedicated crafters create them. Maybe even get different quality levels depending on the crafter who made it.

    There's only 1 quality... even if you have 10 scales.. nobody will use the lesser ones.. just look at DAoC. 10 types of rams, get laughed at if you don't put down a fortified one.

     

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Sounds simmilar to how you aquire vehicles in planetside.

    My main concern though is how this guesting in a "friends" campaign will work though.
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,613Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by kosac
    nice i just forget about failure of CU :)

    How did it fail? For me it was never an option as it has no PvE but Im still intrested.

    It hasn't yet...still 9 days to go for KS pledges, but pledges have slowed down to the point it's not looking like they will make the $2 Mil mark they set... And no, I'm not a backer but I've been keeping an eye on it.

  • IllyssiaIllyssia LondonPosts: 1,524Member
    A theme parked PvE story-centric game, and, three factioin RvR/PvP ....I will sign on the dotted line for that.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,277Member Uncommon

    Q: As a serious roleplayer from multiple games and guilds/communities, I find it essential for immersion to have places to chat and roleplay with my friends and strangers such as taverns and unique open-spaced and furnished buildings. Will there be open-spaced buildings in the major cities and outside them? – By Ryan Houghton

    A: There are lots of taverns in the game, and many places for large gatherings of people.

     

    Idk about this answer. The trend in western development has been to have plenty of painted boxes with very few open doors.

  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Florence, KYPosts: 172Member
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing. Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate. Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah. Hope they pull if off.

    Until you realize the side that zergs will inevitably always lose because unlike GW2 where the zerg can cover any point on the map within a matter of minutes in ESO the zerg will be losing terretory faster then they take it due to sheer size.  Eventually that zerg mentality will realize the more ground you cover with smaller groups is more beneficial.  Not to mention that unlike GW2 and like DAoC there will be PvE going on out i nthe Cyrodill and if you think theres gonna be huge zergs of people running PvE quests then LOL.

     

    Obvious tactics are obvious IMO.

    SUP

  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Florence, KYPosts: 172Member
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing. Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate. Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah. Hope they pull if off.

    Until you realize the side that zergs will inevitably always lose because unlike GW2 where the zerg can cover any point on the map within a matter of minutes in ESO the zerg will be losing terretory faster then they take it due to sheer size.  Eventually that zerg mentality will realize the more ground you cover with smaller groups is more beneficial.  Not to mention that unlike GW2 and like DAoC there will be PvE going on out i nthe Cyrodill and if you think theres gonna be huge zergs of people running PvE quests then LOL.

     

    Obvious tactics are obvious IMO.

    Lets also not forget the inclusion of Darkness Falls style open world Dungeons in the AvA areas as well.

    SUP

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Rvr is hard to get right

    Only daoc and planetside 1 got it truly right.

    Many mmos have tried woolly, cheap loose ways of doing it and ended up with terrible pvp e.g. tsw

    Gw2 is just decidedly average at it.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,451Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by kosac
    nice i just forget about failure of CU :)

    How did it fail? For me it was never an option as it has no PvE but Im still intrested.

    It hasn't yet...still 9 days to go for KS pledges, but pledges have slowed down to the point it's not looking like they will make the $2 Mil mark they set... And no, I'm not a backer but I've been keeping an eye on it.

    When I saw people give 5k and 10k I thought it would make it for sure. Ooo well, no skin off anyones noses really. No money lost if it fails now.


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • BattlerockBattlerock Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,393Member
    This game doesnt look bad from the ideas shown, I think calling it Elder Scrolls was a mistake though. This is not Elder Scrolls, the game looks lije its going to be fun, but you could have called it anything else except what something already is. You could have called it World of Camelot Craft and no ine would be judging it like its Skyrim except mmo. It looks fun but its not Elder scrolls, I think that name is going to hurt more than help.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,451Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    This game doesnt look bad from the ideas shown, I think calling it Elder Scrolls was a mistake though. This is not Elder Scrolls, the game looks lije its going to be fun, but you could have called it anything else except what something already is. You could have called it World of Camelot Craft and no ine would be judging it like its Skyrim except mmo. It looks fun but its not Elder scrolls, I think that name is going to hurt more than help.

    How is it not an Elder Scrolls MMO? It has TES lore, TES story, TES art and lands, TES combat as close as they could it being a MMO, TES freedom in classes. Heck you can make a Mage Tank. Or a Assassin healer. As a long time TES fan, you are way off the mark!


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • BattlerockBattlerock Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,393Member
    I just rhink they should have created thier own ip and routed the lore differently. Came in with fresh slate and no expectations.
  • LordSneergLordSneerg Lorton, VAPosts: 119Member
    The game keeps sound,ing better and better
  • udonudon Durham, NCPosts: 1,767Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing. Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate. Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah. Hope they pull if off.

    Until you realize the side that zergs will inevitably always lose because unlike GW2 where the zerg can cover any point on the map within a matter of minutes in ESO the zerg will be losing terretory faster then they take it due to sheer size.  Eventually that zerg mentality will realize the more ground you cover with smaller groups is more beneficial.  Not to mention that unlike GW2 and like DAoC there will be PvE going on out i nthe Cyrodill and if you think theres gonna be huge zergs of people running PvE quests then LOL.

     

    Obvious tactics are obvious IMO.

    In PS2 the Zerg doesn't care if the rest of the map falls because there is way more rewards to be gained by rushing one undefended base to anouther rather than holding onto territory.  Hopefully ESO can avoid that kind of narrow minded rewards systems and reward people for taking and holding terriroty rather than just taking it.

  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,501Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing. Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate. Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah. Hope they pull if off.

    Until you realize the side that zergs will inevitably always lose because unlike GW2 where the zerg can cover any point on the map within a matter of minutes in ESO the zerg will be losing terretory faster then they take it due to sheer size.  Eventually that zerg mentality will realize the more ground you cover with smaller groups is more beneficial.  Not to mention that unlike GW2 and like DAoC there will be PvE going on out i nthe Cyrodill and if you think theres gonna be huge zergs of people running PvE quests then LOL.

     

    Obvious tactics are obvious IMO.

    In PS2 the Zerg doesn't care if the rest of the map falls because there is way more rewards to be gained by rushing one undefended base to anouther rather than holding onto territory.  Hopefully ESO can avoid that kind of narrow minded rewards systems and reward people for taking and holding terriroty rather than just taking it.

    Right, it doesn't matter if your side is losing as long as your zerg is winning. That's a difficult issue to deal with. Actually, I'd argue that because the distance is further between capture points (according to ZedTheRock), people will be less likely to move away from the zerg because staying with the zerg guarantees consistant gains and veering very far away from it hurts the potential gains.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.