Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game got a 9 for graphics?!

i dont know if its a good game or not, havent played it (yet).

but after watching many gameplay vids, it was a big shock to see they rated the graphics with a 9.

textures are fine. maybe 8.5 max.

animations are horible! models move like robots, and the way they react to pushbacks/knockbacks and whatelse is like they're solid statues.

now i know darkfall has a lot of hardcore fans that will dissagree just to defend the game, but im not here to flame on the graphics.graphics arent THAT important. im just here to comment on the rating. its definitely not right.

overall 7.5 imo, and im being generous.

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    a link to the review would be nice :P

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Delavega86Delavega86 Member Posts: 112
    im talking about the rating here on mmorpg.com -_-

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Graphics are pretty nice, I would say more like an 8 though.  Most of the vids you see though are of people with all their settings turned down for increased performance for pvp.

The atmosphere and actual gameworld are the nicest of any game that I have ever played.  The world has a very handcrafted feel to it.  The only gameworld that I feel comes close to using scale and depth for a game world is Vanguard.  In Vanguard and Darkfall, when you climb a mountain, you really feel like you are climbing a mountain.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I think the graphics are horrendous. I'd give them something like a 5-6, functional and does what they are supposed to but don't stand out in any way.. in other words totally average.. 5 is average. I fully believe that anyone saying otherwise is just saying they score higher because they like the rest of the game... they want to give the game an overall score of 8-9 but can't if they don't bump the lesser aspects up a bit. It's one of those games though where regardless of the graphics, if the overall gameplay and mechanics are to your liking then the graphics don't really take much away from that experience.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • luvbooxluvboox Member Posts: 87
    I agree that the graphics aren't the best, but the feel of the world is still very good for some reason. Overall, I'm not too worried about graphics, I've just never been that kind of player. The game play is what interests me the most by far.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Dont believe those ratings... there was a post on the darkfall forums started by a player asknig everyone to come here and vote it a 10..

I voted most things a 5 in protest..

Graphics are an improvement on DF.. but they still cant texture for shit.. you can see the UV lines on nearly all the static models.. its pretty lame really.. I kind of mess around with 3d modelling only very very basic stuff but i try to make my UV unwraps look good.. i certainly dont have massives UV lines gonig down my rock models lol ..

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

[mod edit]

There's a pretty big difference between games that try to look retro and those that look dated without deliberately trying to.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177
    [mod edit]

Read the OP again: "graphics arent THAT important. im just here to comment on the rating. its definitely not right."

We can all agree minecraft have bad graphics, right? I think it's a wonderful game, and i don't feel the need to give it a 10 in graphics just to say "amazing game". That's the point of the OP.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Vannor

[mod edit]

There's a pretty big difference between games that try to look retro and those that look dated without deliberately trying to.

The best MMORPG's still are from 1997, 2001, 2002 , 2003 ..to date..and even with the graphics on them,...it must have been something different that made them to be the best ..dont you think ?

Hint: amount of possible interactions in a persistant online environment ?..that could be indeed the indicator of quality on MMORPG's..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Only an idiot would ever give this game a 9 in graphics. That''s how desperate gamers are becoming for a sandbox, they're willing to undeservingly up-review them. Make no mistake, this game looks like it was made 10 years ago.

In no parellel universe would this ever get a 9 on graphics for legitimate reasons. If you don't believe me just jump on twitch and check Darkfall for yourselves.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

This game is in alpha stage. I have no idea how it was released...

The concept of it is very good, but it should have been done by a larger gaming company.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • muaythaimuaythai Member Posts: 11
    The graphics are amazing!you better take a look at ripper x videos in YouTube.he has graphics at max.
    The animations doesn't look so good and the reason is the game has fast pace combat and you can control your toon totally,every second. With fancy long animation like tera you can't accomplish that.
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Seriously? THe game barely looks better than Minecraft. 
  • canonik12canonik12 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by EL_Sirios

i dont know if its a good game or not, havent played it (yet).

but after watching many gameplay vids, it was a big shock to see they rated the graphics with a 9.

textures are fine. maybe 8.5 max.

animations are horible! models move like robots, and the way they react to pushbacks/knockbacks and whatelse is like they're solid statues.

now i know darkfall has a lot of hardcore fans that will dissagree just to defend the game, but im not here to flame on the graphics.graphics arent THAT important. im just here to comment on the rating. its definitely not right.

overall 7.5 imo, and im being generous.

Well, I have to admit that the graphics look something like an 8.5/10. But then again the fun factor of Unholy Wars is 12/10, so in order to make it even I had to score  the graphics with a 9/10.;)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Thing is, people not bothering to check out such a niche game made by amateur developers won't bother rating it either, so the rating you see on MMORPG.com for this kind of games is almost exclusively from die hard fans. Definitely not anywhere close to reality.

Been there, played for a couple of months before release, this deserves 6/10 at BEST for graphics.

I think it's great that people who love DUW have found a game they can be passonate about.  Why do people have to rain on their parade?  Why are people self-appointed to bring games down for the good of all of us gamers?   I think it would be better if someone doesn't like a game, that they just avoid forums for that game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by waynejr2

I think it's great that people who love DUW have found a game they can be passonate about.  Why do people have to rain on their parade?  Why are people self-appointed to bring games down for the good of all of us gamers?   I think it would be better if someone doesn't like a game, that they just avoid forums for that game.

Nice concept!!

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Graphics are pretty nice, I would say more like an 8 though.  Most of the vids you see though are of people with all their settings turned down for increased performance for pvp.

The atmosphere and actual gameworld are the nicest of any game that I have ever played.  The world has a very handcrafted feel to it.  The only gameworld that I feel comes close to using scale and depth for a game world is Vanguard.  In Vanguard and Darkfall, when you climb a mountain, you really feel like you are climbing a mountain.

yeah.  i often mention Vanguard along with DF because they have the best most immersive virtual worlds, and were some of the largest at initial release also

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• luvbooxluvboox Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

This game is in alpha stage. I have no idea how it was released...

The concept of it is very good, but it should have been done by a larger gaming company.

Er, no. No disrespect, but do you know what "alpha stage" in a game looks like? It looks like what Mortal Online did when they first opened up their "beta". DFUW is entirely playable in every way. Sure, there are features missing, but that doesn't make it "alpha stage".

Part of the problem is that DFUW is not optimized well, and a lot of users have to turn their graphics down. I play on 2560x1600 with a 7970, and I can easily turn everything to max and get at least 60 fps. With everything on max it's a decent-looking game. Not amazing, but ok.

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

Graphics aren't just about polygon counts, textures and shaders.  It is that frame of mind that has created so many "polished" games that are not unique in any way.

Darkfall feels like a REAL game world.  Every other MMO feels too cartoony and mass-produced for me.  DFUW feels gritty and hand crafted.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Uzik

Graphics aren't just about polygon counts, textures and shaders.  It is that frame of mind that has created so many "polished" games that are not unique in any way.

Darkfall feels like a REAL game world.  Every other MMO feels too cartoony and mass-produced for me.  DFUW feels gritty and hand crafted.

It's rough round the edges, but that's really as much to do with shoddy graphics as it is design. Still, I'm sure your not alone in enjoying this style.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by EL_Sirios

+1

On the vids on youtube the game look like a game from 2009 or older

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    The water textures look pretty great in my opinion.  Graphics aren't terrible, not photo realistic either.  A lot of this comes down to art direction style and I think a lot of people subconsciously grade down graphics due to seeing them in the context of poor animations.  I'd probably give graphics a 7.5 or bump it to an 8 for water textures.  I can't think of any part of the graphics that looks especially bad. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

The graphics in DFUW are similar to DF in that they both have great stationary graphics. I think so anyway, some people like stuff all cartoony and that's not for me. The mobile graphics like people, horses, mobs and animations all suck. Which makes a lot of sense from a performance standpoint. Anything that moves takes a lot more calculations than stationary things.

That's just the way I like it. I love the way the game looks, and can live with some clunky animations and the like.

Asdar