Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

elder scrolls is not the elder scrolls we know.

It pisses me off when a developer try to kill a beloved titan rpg such as elder scrolls online, AND FOR WHAT?

make an mmorpg for the masses is that it? greed?  shoudl remind zenimax it doesnt have to be for the masses of mmorpg players. They shoudl cater to the elder scrolls players. THATS FINE BY ME.

Oh zenimax you reap what you sow. 

Zenimax its ok to be a niche game, IT doesnt have to be for the mass market of mmoplayers.

they dont freaking get it.

I dont really care if they were making some other mmo games with different IP, thats fine by me.

However, they had the balls to slap on the name Elder Scrolls to this mmorpg.

Comments

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Developers don't seem to get that it's better to have a small group of players telling everyone how great the game is then a massive group telling everyone how bad it is. If this game ends up being nothing like Skyrim it will flop.......hard.
  • BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Archeageking delivers yet another newsworthy thread.

You do realise that your beloved game will be around for you to play regardless right?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by archeageking
    It pisses me off when a developer try to kill a beloved titan rpg such as elder scrolls online, AND FOR WHAT?make an mmorpg for the masses is that it? greed?  shoudl remind zenimax it doesnt have to be for the masses of mmorpg players. They shoudl cater to the elder scrolls players. THATS FINE BY ME. Oh zenimax you reap what you sow. Zenimax its ok to be a niche game, IT doesnt have to be for the mass market of mmoplayers.

easy for you to say, its not your multi-million dollar investment.

by the way, if they truly wanted to just cater to the elder scrolls fans, it would launch on the consoles (and not be an mmo for that matter).

the fact that it is launching on the PC only and is an mmorpg, it only makes sense that they try and cater to the PC mmo fans as well.

not saying they are making all the best decisions with their mmo version of the ES series (that is yet to be seen) but i don't think catering to a niche crowd or catering to the console players,( when its not even on the console) is a great idea when you are investing that kind of time and money into an mmo.

also, TES still isn't a sandbox genre, in case you still haven't figured it out yet. lol

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

It pisses me off when a developer try to kill a beloved titan rpg such as elder scrolls online, AND FOR WHAT?

make an mmorpg for the masses is that it? greed?  shoudl remind zenimax it doesnt have to be for the masses of mmorpg players. They shoudl cater to the elder scrolls players. THATS FINE BY ME.

Zenimax its ok to be a niche game, IT doesnt have to be for the mass market of mmoplayers.

I dont really care if they were making some other mmo games with different IP, thats fine by me.

You do know that the single-player games are still going to be the single-player games, right? The sky is not falling, contrary to popular belief...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    Developers don't seem to get that it's better to have a small group of players telling everyone how great the game is then a massive group telling everyone how bad it is. If this game ends up being nothing like Skyrim it will flop.......hard.

why would a developer want a small group of players raving how good their game is vs a much larger group paying them more money? this is a business after all and TESO is not a low budget indy game.

this game is going to "flop" regardless of what happens in a lot of peoples eyes.

its not going to hold a large amount of subs for years, so people will say it failed.

it could be exactly like skyrim just with other people around and it would "flop" just the same, only much quicker with less to do in the game.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    You bring up a good point because it SHOULD launch on console as well.

You bring up a good point because it SHOULD launch on console as well.

IMO they are making an mmorpg and should be catering to the mmo crowd (as well as the ES crowd), since that is what they are making.

i think they should just make the next single player ES game have multi-player capabilities, that is what many seem to want.

people saying they want it to be as much like skyrim as possible don't really seem to want an mmo, they want skyrim co-op

hopefully they do it because a lot of people seem to want that, i wouldn't mind it myself.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

When I see a games do this it reminds me of Apple and Blizzard.

Apple catered to their market for years and didn't really ever change. In the end, or at least up until now, they stuck to what they knew and did best and, it worked out awesome for them. Same thing with Blizzard and WOW

Most of these companies are doing the opposite of what apple AND Blizzard did. They decide to ignore their core consumer base and appeal to wider demographic that may or may not even know their IP exists.

It may yet work out for TESO but based on the leaked footage and official rendered gameplay video I would say that they better hope ArchAge doesn't get here at around the same time they do.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Current gen consoles can't handle a real mmo.

If they made it for consoles it would be instanced, sharded and phased to hell and back.

Originally posted by Trionicus
    When I see a games do this it reminds me of Apple and Blizzard.Apple catered to their market for years and didn't really ever change. In the end, or at least up until now, they stuck to what they knew and did best and, it worked out awesome for them. Same thing with Blizzard and WOWMost of these companies are doing the opposite of what apple AND Blizzard did. They decide to ignore their core consumer base and appeal to wider demographic that may or may not even know their IP exists.It may yet work out for TESO but based on the leaked footage and official rendered gameplay video I would say that they better hope ArchAge doesn't get here at around the same time they do.

using your analogy, it seemed to work out great for samsung.

not saying they should copy wow but my point is this is a business and they are obviously trying to get as many people to buy and play their game as possible.

also, archage launching in the west when TESO launches will not be an issue for them no matter if their game is a long term success or not (it likely wont be).

its the only large budget themepark mmo in development to my knowledge, one of the more popular IP's in the west as well.

i would assume sales at launch will not be a problem for TESO, the challenge will be holding the subs for more than a few months.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    The single player games are catered to the SPRPG masses, why shouldn't the MMO?

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Slampig

You do know that the single-player games are still going to be the single-player games, right? The sky is not falling, contrary to popular belief...

This.  Thank you.

There will still be a SP sequel out in a couple years(?) as it should be.  This is just the MMORPG offering based on the same lore.  It isn't ruining anything.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

It may yet work out for TESO but based on the leaked footage and official rendered gameplay video I would say that they better hope ArchAge doesn't get here at around the same time they do.

They should be more worried about having a complete game with no bugs and with as many things to do at max level as possible than think about a game like archage which if it launches without pve servers will not be more than a niche game.
    The market has so many mmos available that teso can't afford to launch incomplete or with too many bugs if they want to have a decent number of subscriptions after 3-4 months.

Because it wouldn't be a mmo.

Much better to say let a couple of friends guest in your tes 6 game replacing your companions.
  • HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I wish they would start closing all these pointless whining threads, beating the same horse over and over. (HINT ADMIN)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Because it wouldn't be a mmo.

Much better to say let a couple of friends guest in your tes 6 game replacing your companions.

+1

• stori11stori11 Member Posts: 26

niche =/= profit

Its quite apparent that it is you that does not get it. The corporations is in for the profits, not their love for games. The devs, I dont know, it doesnt matter. But the ceo's and investors do it for the money, and you can't be mad at them for it now can you?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Current gen consoles can't handle a real mmo.

If they made it for consoles it would be instanced, sharded and phased to hell and back.

They may be going mega server, but it will be using a lot of instancing as stated in interviews.

Originally posted by stori11

niche =/= profit

Its quite apparent that it is you that does not get it. The corporations is in for the profits, not their love for games. The devs, I dont know, it doesnt matter. But the ceo's and investors do it for the money, and you can't be mad at them for it now can you?

Actually, we know that niche can be profitable, the question is whether the company making the game is greedy and wants obscene profits short term versus decent profits long term.

Originally posted by eldaris

They should be more worried about having a complete game with no bugs and with as many things to do at max level as possible than think about a game like archage which if it launches without pve servers will not be more than a niche game.
    The market has so many mmos available that teso can't afford to launch incomplete or with too many bugs if they want to have a decent number of subscriptions after 3-4 months.

The only way I would consider playing Archeage is if they had PvE server sets.  FFA PvP with  no safe adventuring areas is not my cup of tea, no matter how cool the rest of the game may be.

Originally posted by baphamet

When I see a games do this it reminds me of Apple and Blizzard.

Apple catered to their market for years and didn't really ever change. In the end, or at least up until now, they stuck to what they knew and did best and, it worked out awesome for them. Same thing with Blizzard and WOW

Most of these companies are doing the opposite of what apple AND Blizzard did. They decide to ignore their core consumer base and appeal to wider demographic that may or may not even know their IP exists.

using your analogy, it seemed to work out great for samsung.

not saying they should copy wow but my point is this is a business and they are obviously trying to get as many people to buy and play their game as possible.

also, archage launching in the west when TESO launches will not be an issue for them no matter if their game is a long term success or not (it likely wont be).

its the only large budget themepark mmo in development to my knowledge, one of the more popular IP's in the west as well.

i would assume sales at launch will not be a problem for TESO, the challenge will be holding the subs for more than a few months.

SOE has learned and implemented the future of MMOs by creating many diverse games and placing them under the Station Pass umbrella.  You cater to your target audience, no matter the size, yet the aggregate portfolio nets you the second if not largest share of the MMO market to date.  With the release of Wizardry Online and Planetside 2 and the upcoming EverQuest Next and Dragon's Prophet they could easily surpass Blizzard in overall numbers.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

this

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    The game will sell theres no doubt about it.  After all there is still 100s of 1000s of people who still think this game is Skyrim online.  Plus you have a bunch of daoc fans going on and on about how its going to be the best game ever.(daoc highest sub count was just 250,000 players)  So the game will sell easily but it wont keep subs for long and like most mmos it will have a slow slow death as the devolopers well put out less and less content updates as their sub numbers drop to bare minimum.
    Oh you guys bloody love this 250k bullshit don't you.

In those days that was a LARGE playerbase.

EQ only had 400k
    Swg had 250k
    Ac had 150k
    Ao had 100k

I guess they are all fails though because they don't have the highly dubious 10 meeeeeleon players wow supposedly has.
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Skyrim combat, typical Elder Scrolls "level as you use leveling system", scaling enemies ala Oblivion, a focus on story and exploration, fully solo-able, Voiced NPCs, involved Elder Scrolls quests and not kill 10 of that and bring it there,regions based on the ones in previous games, 1st and 3rd person views...oh yea its so not Elder Scrolls.
This discussion has been closed.