Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Question of the Week Talks PvP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elder Scrolls Online team has taken to the official site with this week's wrap up of the Question of the Week. In this installment, the team answers players' burning questions about PvP.

It has been mentioned multiple times that players can invade areas surrounding enemy keeps in order to starve them of resources. What kinds of resources are these, and how will they affect gameplay? – By Eric Duey

The three resources around a keep (lumber mills, farms, and mines) fuel its upgrade process. Lumber mills help make keep doors stronger and allow them to repair themselves automatically. Farms make keep guards tougher and stronger, and mines help reinforce the walls, making them harder to destroy and allowing them to repair themselves over time as well. Taking control of resources around keeps also shuts off various patrols in the vicinity, so it’s always advantageous to take resources before laying siege to the keep itself.

Read more on the Elder Scrolls Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Wicked... about time they gave us more PvP info =-) I found 2 points very intresting. Cant wait for more info on this....Villages are Alliance-neutral. However, guards will patrol a town if your Alliance has captured the nearby keep. This makes it safer for your Alliance to do quests in that town, but you won’t be 100% safe, obviously. NPC towns and villages will not be hostile, but there are NPCs in the wild that are definitely not your friends. 

and... The three resources around a keep (lumber mills, farms, and mines) fuel its upgrade process. Lumber mills help make keep doors stronger and allow them to repair themselves automatically. Farms make keep guards tougher and stronger, and mines help reinforce the walls, making them harder to destroy and allowing them to repair themselves over time as well. Taking control of resources around keeps also shuts off various patrols in the vicinity, so it’s always advantageous to take resources before laying siege to the keep itself.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Always nice to get more info but games make my head hurt sometimes trying to work out their design logic.

I mean, to starve an enemy out of their keep you can take control of their farms...but not to actually starve them out by preventing food reach the keep but because it makes the guards weaker...

of all the things I could imagine when thinking out siege mechanics could work I always wonder why not keep it simple...a keep stores food, the number of defenders reduces the store depending, if the store is reduced to zero the gates open automatically. The strategy is to try and keep food out or to try and get it in.

Other then that obvious head scratcher some nice info.

[mod edit]
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I like the idea of taking farms, mills, and mines to weaken keeps. It sounds like it won't be required but it will make it a bit easier if you do it especially if aren't bringing a huge zerg to take the keep. That sounds perfect. I look forward to them revealing more information about the AvA skill line. That's something that will probably be pivotal to deciding how much I like AvA.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I like the idea of taking farms, mills, and mines to weaken keeps. It sounds like it won't be required but it will make it a bit easier if you do it especially if aren't bringing a huge zerg to take the keep. That sounds perfect. I look forward to them revealing more information about the AvA skill line. That's something that will probably be pivotal to deciding how much I like AvA.

I do as well.

However, it's a shame that siege engines  are "bought" with points. It would have been so much nicer to have dedicated crafters create them. Maybe even get different quality levels depending on the crafter who made it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Always nice to get more info but games make my head hurt sometimes trying to work out their design logic.

I mean, to starve an enemy out of their keep you can take control of their farms...but not to actually starve them out by preventing food reach the keep but because it makes the guards weaker...

of all the things I could imagine when thinking out siege mechanics could work I always wonder why not keep it simple...a keep stores food, the number of defenders reduces the store depending, if the store is reduced to zero the gates open automatically. The strategy is to try and keep food out or to try and get it in.

ESO devs are trying to stop AvA zergs. Making defense needed just as much as offence taking a keep. Its really smart design. 

Originally posted by Sovrath

I do as well.

However, it's a shame that siege engines  are "bought" with points. It would have been so much nicer to have dedicated crafters create them. Maybe even get different quality levels depending on the crafter who made it.

I like anyone being able to get a siege wespon IMO but what I would like to see is crafters being able to make them more poweful.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Well, I like the idea but it would be better to have it so the "store are empty" and then the players fight at a disadvantage.

A simliar thing could be done with attackers by cutting off their supply line. It would be interesting to have more rts elements in siege defense/offense.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing.

Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate.

Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah.

Hope they pull if off.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Nice info, thanks.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DocmanduDocmandu Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I do as well.

There's only 1 quality... even if you have 10 scales.. nobody will use the lesser ones.. just look at DAoC. 10 types of rams, get laughed at if you don't put down a fortified one.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Sounds simmilar to how you aquire vehicles in planetside.

My main concern though is how this guesting in a "friends" campaign will work though.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by kosac
    nice i just forget about failure of CU :)

How did it fail? For me it was never an option as it has no PvE but Im still intrested.

It hasn't yet...still 9 days to go for KS pledges, but pledges have slowed down to the point it's not looking like they will make the $2 Mil mark they set... And no, I'm not a backer but I've been keeping an eye on it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    A theme parked PvE story-centric game, and, three factioin RvR/PvP ....I will sign on the dotted line for that.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Q: As a serious roleplayer from multiple games and guilds/communities, I find it essential for immersion to have places to chat and roleplay with my friends and strangers such as taverns and unique open-spaced and furnished buildings. Will there be open-spaced buildings in the major cities and outside them? – By Ryan Houghton

A: There are lots of taverns in the game, and many places for large gatherings of people.

Idk about this answer. The trend in western development has been to have plenty of painted boxes with very few open doors.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing. Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate. Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah. Hope they pull if off.

Until you realize the side that zergs will inevitably always lose because unlike GW2 where the zerg can cover any point on the map within a matter of minutes in ESO the zerg will be losing terretory faster then they take it due to sheer size.  Eventually that zerg mentality will realize the more ground you cover with smaller groups is more beneficial.  Not to mention that unlike GW2 and like DAoC there will be PvE going on out i nthe Cyrodill and if you think theres gonna be huge zergs of people running PvE quests then LOL.

Obvious tactics are obvious IMO.

SUP

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    If they really think this design will stop the zerg mentality, they've got another thing coming. Design always looks good on paper, execution is another thing. Very skeptical about this game. Because 90% of it reminds me of Gw2. The other 10% is just them trying to differentiate. Only thing alluring is the ability to train up all your skills and abilities and wear any armor you want. Otherwise, yeah. Hope they pull if off.

Until you realize the side that zergs will inevitably always lose because unlike GW2 where the zerg can cover any point on the map within a matter of minutes in ESO the zerg will be losing terretory faster then they take it due to sheer size.  Eventually that zerg mentality will realize the more ground you cover with smaller groups is more beneficial.  Not to mention that unlike GW2 and like DAoC there will be PvE going on out i nthe Cyrodill and if you think theres gonna be huge zergs of people running PvE quests then LOL.

Lets also not forget the inclusion of Darkness Falls style open world Dungeons in the AvA areas as well.

SUP

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Rvr is hard to get right

Only daoc and planetside 1 got it truly right.

Many mmos have tried woolly, cheap loose ways of doing it and ended up with terrible pvp e.g. tsw

Gw2 is just decidedly average at it.
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by kosac
    nice i just forget about failure of CU :)

How did it fail? For me it was never an option as it has no PvE but Im still intrested.

It hasn't yet...still 9 days to go for KS pledges, but pledges have slowed down to the point it's not looking like they will make the $2 Mil mark they set... And no, I'm not a backer but I've been keeping an eye on it.

When I saw people give 5k and 10k I thought it would make it for sure. Ooo well, no skin off anyones noses really. No money lost if it fails now.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    This game doesnt look bad from the ideas shown, I think calling it Elder Scrolls was a mistake though. This is not Elder Scrolls, the game looks lije its going to be fun, but you could have called it anything else except what something already is. You could have called it World of Camelot Craft and no ine would be judging it like its Skyrim except mmo. It looks fun but its not Elder scrolls, I think that name is going to hurt more than help.
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    This game doesnt look bad from the ideas shown, I think calling it Elder Scrolls was a mistake though. This is not Elder Scrolls, the game looks lije its going to be fun, but you could have called it anything else except what something already is. You could have called it World of Camelot Craft and no ine would be judging it like its Skyrim except mmo. It looks fun but its not Elder scrolls, I think that name is going to hurt more than help.

How is it not an Elder Scrolls MMO? It has TES lore, TES story, TES art and lands, TES combat as close as they could it being a MMO, TES freedom in classes. Heck you can make a Mage Tank. Or a Assassin healer. As a long time TES fan, you are way off the mark!

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I just rhink they should have created thier own ip and routed the lore differently. Came in with fresh slate and no expectations.
  • LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    The game keeps sound,ing better and better
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

In PS2 the Zerg doesn't care if the rest of the map falls because there is way more rewards to be gained by rushing one undefended base to anouther rather than holding onto territory.  Hopefully ESO can avoid that kind of narrow minded rewards systems and reward people for taking and holding terriroty rather than just taking it.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by udon

In PS2 the Zerg doesn't care if the rest of the map falls because there is way more rewards to be gained by rushing one undefended base to anouther rather than holding onto territory.  Hopefully ESO can avoid that kind of narrow minded rewards systems and reward people for taking and holding terriroty rather than just taking it.

Right, it doesn't matter if your side is losing as long as your zerg is winning. That's a difficult issue to deal with. Actually, I'd argue that because the distance is further between capture points (according to ZedTheRock), people will be less likely to move away from the zerg because staying with the zerg guarantees consistant gains and veering very far away from it hurts the potential gains.