Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EVE still full of racists?

2»

Comments

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    People are a-holes over the internet, mainly because they know they cant be punched in the face over the internet.   play or dont play, ignore the a-holes and toughen up.  Im so sick of the united nation of the offended, stand up and be a man (or woman) and tell the person go f themselves.  or just put them on ignore.
  • sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I knew that mmorpg.com is far from the most supportive and mature forum but I was still awed by some ignorat posts in this topic.

I hope that you will one day experience how it feels to be part of the community that actively uses your race as a curse word of general use. Would love to see you then "take it like a man" / "man up" / etc. Just to be clear - I could keep playing and just ignore them but i chose not to because I simply do not want to be around people who feel ok to talk in such way. And trust me, if anybody would say something like this near me irl, I would man up really well, much like a black person would, being called a "N-word".

To everybody else: Thank you for the support. I'm back in eve, mostly thanks to the positive feedback in this thread (got the 3 months deal), and am about to give my alliance another try. If  it gets to a point where I can't stand it anymore, I've decided to simply leave them and move to high-sec in search for another alliance / corp.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I was taken back by it as well when my corp joined the CFC, but then I realized that Goons say such things, but they dont really mean any malice by it. I dont use such terms, but if they want to, dont care.
  • Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133

Well the caldari will never stop hating on Gallente and Amarr will never stop trying to keep the minmatar brothers down , its just the nature of the game.. 

But on a serious note racists are all over the internet and infecting many  games with their ignorance not much can be done sadly just ignore it and keep on playing what you enjoy.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by sudo

Hello,

Is the internet still full of racists?

Thanks!

Fixed the OP's original post.

Answer:  Yes.

Originally posted by Sirmaki
    [mod edit]

I realize that, but it's also not fun for me to play with a large group of peole who use jew as a swer word regullary and very often. I mean, all of them, not only one specific "idiot"... And it's also considered quite normal and common thing to do. It was quite shocking. If it was the n-word, I bet something would be done about it.

One other thing I don't get, why doesn't CCP do something about it? Can those players at least be reported for racism?

A better question is did you report them? By the very fact that you ask, makes me beleive you didn't. 

So how can you toss this on CCP if you, as someone who was offended, didn't report them? Or even quit the corp over it.

Sorry but I think this is a troll post of the attention whore category. That or you are the type of person who gets offended and wants someone else to fix it for you so you don't have to get your hands dirty, ie not loose your cushy position in the corp.

I reported this countless times (not the people from my alliance or corp, since I've seen it enough everywhere).

Nothing was done, they kept playing.

Hans Margolius

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I typed out a lengthy response, but let me summarize it. It is a game for non-sensitive people.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    No one in EVE actually hates, or probably even cares about, Jewish people. People say "You Gypsy"  or "I got gyp'd". Guess what? If I call you a butthole, I don't mean that you are literally a sphincter.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by VassagoMael
    No one in EVE actually hates, or probably even cares about, Jewish people. People say "You Gypsy"  or "I got gyp'd". Guess what? If I call you a butthole, I don't mean that you are literally a sphincter.

People like you are the core of the problem. If you can't see the difference between calling somebody a "jew" and calling somebody a "butthole", you miss the whole point of racism and racial stereotypes...

Do you honestly think that you can call a jewish person "Jew" or African American person N-word and expect them or somebody else who heard you and belongs to the same racial group to not get offended, only because you think that they just did something that meets the racial stereotype?

I'll even make it easier for you:

Butthole is a curse word.

Jew is a race.

I hope you will get it now.

Hans Margolius

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Krashner

Hello, dear eve players.

A simple question really. Last time I gave EVE a try, it was full of racists and I saw everybody use "Jew" as a "general-use-bad-word" in both local, alliance and corp chat  (I am part of a big alliance). When I tried politely asking for explanation why they are using this word in a bad manner, which is I obviously find offensive, nobody never answered. Sadly, I felt forced to quit even though I did like the game a lot (it was almost a year ago) this time around.

I would love to know if you still see people throwing "Jew" everywhere like a curse word or did things change for the better?

Thanks!

Welcome to the internet.

...Except that it's not the internet. It's a privately owned server cluster that is subject to the rules that the ownwres may or may not be bothered to enforce.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    The OP got his responses and replied, but  guys, trying to justify these srts of terms and also dragging religions into it in terms of attacks is on the other side of the line. So, locking this.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.