Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source mmorpg.com MMO

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I want to see if the mmorpg.com community could make an open source MMO. Anyone could contribute but features and content would be voted in or out by the community here. I'm wondering what we could create. This would be a non-profit project, to make the mmorpg.com dream game.

Source code and assets, like models/textures/sounds/music could be posted here for peer review.

Before the game production starts, I think to get started we need a setting for the game... fantasy/futuristic/whatever.

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I think you would best be served by either a fantasy setting, or an alien planet setting with magic/swords/bows but no lasers etc.

IMO, no flight in most zones, but mounts are a must for travel.  Much more open world interaction w/o flight.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

There is no MMORPG.com dream game.  It's a hundred bitter vets wanting a hundred different games (and no wonder their needs aren't met if they all want a distinct different thing.)

While it's only 12 votes, it's amusing that the poll results so far emphasize my point perfectly: the distribution of votes is literally as even as possible with 12 votes (everything with 1 vote except two things which have 2 votes.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Planeshift is an Open Source MMORPG. http://www.planeshift.it/about.html for the curious.

If I was going to pick someone to write an MMORPG, I don't think it would be the MMO community. I really can't think of any group that would feature creep a project worse than the MMO community.

But just in case, I voted "Western".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I really can't think of any group that would feature creep a project worse than the MMO community.

*hangs head in shame*

( actually, my problem as a project participant is that I over-analyze everything to the point that no progress ever gets made. Let me demonstrate: I think a poll on the choice of setting is asking architects their opinion on the colour of wallpaper before they sit down to design a blueprint for the foundations; the question needs to be more fundemental - what is it the fundemental need that this project would be setting out to fill?  There are lots of new MMOs coming along each year - what is it that they aren't providing that would make this project worthwhile? )

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Planeshift is an Open Source MMORPG. http://www.planeshift.it/about.html for the curious.

If I was going to pick someone to write an MMORPG, I don't think it would be the MMO community. I really can't think of any group that would feature creep a project worse than the MMO community.

But just in case, I voted "Western".

We'd probably settle on a rule of "if you want a feature added, then you have to code it".  Only three people would actually code anything, and the game would mostly be reviled by the broader community as a bunch of bad design decisions before it was eventually given up as vaporware.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    At least we all know that no one will ever come to an agreement on anything... that's a start!
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The MMORPG.com community can't make it past the initial thread each time it is brought up, let alone create an MMO based on the idea. 

Have you considered joining any of the existing people/teams working on a project? Here are a few:

• The Repopulation
    • Divergence
    • Wizards and Champions

It would make a lot more sense to do that than to try to start yet another one. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Quizzical

We'd probably settle on a rule of "if you want a feature added, then you have to code it". 

I don't think that would be fair on the artist, I certainly would settle for that but than again I am neither an artist or programmer so my opinion wouldn't matter.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by pmiles
    At least we all know that no one will ever come to an agreement on anything... that's a start!

Is there of any surprise?

There is a reason why the MMO market is so diverse in settings, and gameplay style.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I like threads like this. Hey before you start coding anything, let me take a look at your main design. I can point out the flaws in it from a logical point of view.

Hey if I can point out the flaws in the past few MMO releases before NDA drops (also pre leaks or anything) I surely can detail the flaws in the design of our game here.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I like threads like this. Hey before you start coding anything, let me take a look at your main design. I can point out the flaws in it from a logical point of view.

Hey if I can point out the flaws in the past few MMO releases before NDA drops (also pre leaks or anything) I surely can detail the flaws in the design of our game here.

All kidding aside, that's actually one way this could work - have one person that lays out the plan based on the teams input and a second one that gives it a secondary pass on it. If nothing else, it would move effort beyond just "hey guys, let's make the perfect MMO that everyone here will enjoy" to at least a plan to act on. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

MMORPG.com the MMO?

hmm...

Is end game going to involve evaluating game developer stock prices and threatening a class action law suit over patch notes?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Oooo can Jason Appleton help design it?

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

oh wow look dwarves and elves win again!

I´m out. So sick of this craptastic setting.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    I want a futuristic steampunk horror mmo that takes place in a post apocalyptic setting.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    I want a futuristic steampunk horror mmo that takes place in a post apocalyptic setting.

Play Defiance with the lights low. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Play Defiance with the lights low. 

Hah...touche...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

there is no way a community as big as this site could possibly all agree on the same thing it owuld never happen and it would be jumble of random ideas..

Anyway your better off trying to find a current team or forming one yourself if you have the skills to make a game. If you dont have any game design skills then maybe jump go downlaod unity and follow some tutorials and make some basic games..

An mmorpg is a big project..

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by ozmono

We'd probably settle on a rule of "if you want a feature added, then you have to code it". 

I don't think that would be fair on the artist, I certainly would settle for that but than again I am neither an artist or programmer so my opinion wouldn't matter.

And if you want a particular art style, then you have to make the artwork for it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones Planeshift is an Open Source MMORPG. http://www.planeshift.it/about.html for the curious. If I was going to pick someone to write an MMORPG, I don't think it would be the MMO community. I really can't think of any group that would feature creep a project worse than the MMO community. ** ** ** But just in case, I voted "Western".
    We'd probably settle on a rule of "if you want a feature added, then you have to code it".  Only three people would actually code anything, and the game would mostly be reviled by the broader community as a bunch of bad design decisions before it was eventually given up as vaporware.

Even worse, what if everyone actually coded all their ideas into the game?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.