Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increasing my framerate.

KermsKerms Member Posts: 40

Right now I run darkfall at about an average of 35-45ish fps in semi-populated areas.  In the middle of nowhere I can get about 50-60 fps.  It still hiccups a bit here and there.

My comp is a few years old. I am going to do a couple upgrades to it (I can't afford a new computer atm).  First thing first I am going to upgrade to 64bit windows, I am only using 3 out of my 4 gigs of ram on my 32 bit version.

My question is this.  If I upgrade my windows and the extra ram does not help too much, should I upgrade my processor or get more ram. I will probably upgrade both anyways, but I want to know which one I should try first.

Processor... (clocked at 3 gigs).  This processor only has up to l2 caching. I heard that Darkfall is intense on the cpu so I wonder if I should upgrade that or get more ram first.

Also My video card is a radeon HD 5570 1 gig dd3 memory. I feel like this card is fine (but what the fuck do I know).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Processor a   Main Circuit Board b
2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X4 630
512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Comments

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Best to ask on the offical forums! :)
  • KermsKerms Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Greymoor
    Best to ask on the offical forums! :)

Thanks, I will try overe there too.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

According to performance charts, your CPU has about half the performance of my I5 2500k without overclocking, so i'd say to get the CPU upgraded based off that, especially for a CPU intensive game.

Considering it's darkfall and things might not be as optimised as they should for that game, i'm not sure how upgrading anything would pan out for you.

How is your performance in other games? Skyrim, Crysis, etc etc. If performance in those games is excellent, then i'm not sure how much upgrading anything would help you, as i'd be inclined to point towards the game's optimization and not your computer setup.

But, as a baseline, since others have told you it's a cpu intensive game, of course the ideal upgrade would be the CPU.

People told me my 4 gigs was kinda low for high performance gaming, so i upgraded to 16. 4gigs 4 slots. Looking at my RAM usage though, i never really see it jump over 5 gigs in use unles im running more than one game. Dunno.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• KermsKerms Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Toxia

According to performance charts, your CPU has about half the performance of my I5 2500k without overclocking, so i'd say to get the CPU upgraded based off that, especially for a CPU intensive game.

Considering it's darkfall and things might not be as optimised as they should for that game, i'm not sure how upgrading anything would pan out for you.

How is your performance in other games? Skyrim, Crysis, etc etc. If performance in those games is excellent, then i'm not sure how much upgrading anything would help you, as i'd be inclined to point towards the game's optimization and not your computer setup.

But, as a baseline, since others have told you it's a cpu intensive game, of course the ideal upgrade would be the CPU.

People told me my 4 gigs was kinda low for high performance gaming, so i upgraded to 16. 4gigs 4 slots. Looking at my RAM usage though, i never really see it jump over 5 gigs in use unles im running more than one game. Dunno.

Valid point.  I run games like skyrim wonderfully on med-high settings.  Never tried out crisis though.

When I upgrade my ram I will probably only go to about 6 gigs. For the type of gaming I do I doubt I will use much more than that.  

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Kerms
    Originally posted by Toxia

Valid point.  I run games like skyrim wonderfully on med-high settings.  Never tried out crisis though.

When I upgrade my ram I will probably only go to about 6 gigs. For the type of gaming I do I doubt I will use much more than that.  

General rule of thumb as passed down to me: If you can double your performance at a reasonable cost(reasonable by your pocketbook), then it's a good time to upgrade. Hope someone else can drop by and give you some more specific advice.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

OP:  Have you turned all the settings down?  By lowering everything and shutting AA off I was able to get 270 FPS out in the ocean yesterday. That is about double what I get with recommended settings.  Of course nobody would ever need that framerate, but it means there is ample headroom for large PvP battles.

of your two choices, I would probably upgrade the CPU first, but RAM is dirt cheap...The likely cuplrit though is probably the VideoCard. 40FPS in a populated area is decent but I would imagine a big battle would really bog it down.  That card is pretty far down the list on the Hierarchy Chart at Toms:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Kerms

Right now I run darkfall at about an average of 35-45ish fps in semi-populated areas.  In the middle of nowhere I can get about 50-60 fps.  It still hiccups a bit here and there.

My comp is a few years old. I am going to do a couple upgrades to it (I can't afford a new computer atm).  First thing first I am going to upgrade to 64bit windows, I am only using 3 out of my 4 gigs of ram on my 32 bit version.

My question is this.  If I upgrade my windows and the extra ram does not help too much, should I upgrade my processor or get more ram. I will probably upgrade both anyways, but I want to know which one I should try first.

Processor... (clocked at 3 gigs).  This processor only has up to l2 caching. I heard that Darkfall is intense on the cpu so I wonder if I should upgrade that or get more ram first.

Also My video card is a radeon HD 5570 1 gig dd3 memory. I feel like this card is fine (but what the fuck do I know).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Processor a   Main Circuit Board b
    2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X4 630
    512 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Your graphics card is perfectly fine. I'm using the Radeon HD 5850, which is slightly less powerful as yours, but I have 8 gigs of ram on windows 7 64 bit, amd athlon 650 quad core @ 3.2ghz. 

I get constant 100 fps, never drops below 60 in towns.  Runs perfectly fine, no stuttering or anything.

Seems the only thing you can do is upgrade to windows 64 to get more memory, i use 4.5 gigs of ram when running the game, so your 4 gigs of ram is being pushed to the limits which can be causing the slowdowns.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Originally posted by Agrias34

Your graphics card is perfectly fine. I'm using the Radeon HD 5850, which is slightly less powerful as yours, but I have 8 gigs of ram on windows 7 64 bit, amd athlon 650 quad core @ 3.2ghz. 

I get constant 100 fps, never drops below 60 in towns.  Runs perfectly fine, no stuttering or anything.

Seems the only thing you can do is upgrade to windows 64 to get more memory, i use 4.5 gigs of ram when running the game, so your 4 gigs of ram is being pushed to the limits which can be causing the slowdowns.

Unless I am missing something.. your card is ranked 3 levels HIGHER than the OPs. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by Agrias34

Unless I am missing something.. your card is ranked 3 levels HIGHER than the OPs. 

I read it wrong and after typing so much I forgot.  I somehow thought his was the 5870, mine being the 5850.  I look back now and realize it is slightly different.  It should honestly still be fine, but I can't really tell.  Sorry, I really misread and thought I read 5870 :P